• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Holy Fairy Queen! It's tomorrow already, isn't it? .... oh my! :3

sAnick the hadgedgy, is enough said. Well, I'm sorry about you. But our happiness is higher than anything against his inclusion 'u' (which is near of nonexistence)
-_- I knew I should have included an explanation about sonic... The thing is, Sonic is at least somewhat relevant today and his appearance hasn't changed.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pac Man and want him to be included (I even said so in my post). My point is, the modern Pac Man isn't the Pac Man everyone knows and loves. It's a mere caricature that is trying (and failing) to build on the success of a "one hit wonder." An amazing classic deserving of recognition, but still a one hit wonder.

Coming into a character support thread to say that you hope the character doesn't get in?
Uh I DID say I support him, just in a different way than you guys did. Try and read what I put before you post a knee-jerk reaction.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So this was just revealed...

Hype?
Yeah, of course! HYPE!... the game was already announced while ago.. but.... NOW.. ONE DAY BEFORE Nintendo's event at E3... this is posted on Nintendo's channel... hhhhhng.... I can't help! GEEEEZUS... Our Pacster is comming! TuT

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
"one hit wonder."
"failing"
We're done here. Maybe you should do your research before posting negative things about a character that you obviously don't know much about.
Nah. They're considerate enough to not do that.
At least, I'm pretty sure they are.
I mean smaschu did call us "13 year olds who don't know what they are playing"

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
-_- I knew I should have included an explanation about sonic... The thing is, Sonic is at least somewhat relevant today and his appearance hasn't changed.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pac Man and want him to be included (I even said so in my post). My point is, the modern Pac Man isn't the Pac Man everyone knows and loves. It's a mere caricature that is trying (and failing) to build on the success of a "one hit wonder." An amazing classic deserving of recognition, but still a one hit wonder.

Uh I DID say I support him, just in a different way than you guys did. Try and read what I put before you post a knee-jerk reaction.
Go home, buddy... or at least, in some thread that you will have your idea supported =). But I can't wait to chomp a lot with Pacster ONline in Smash4. ^^

Oh, btw.. I'm a gamer that grew with Pac-Man.. followed him with all his transitions.. redesigns and eras, .. and I can say that he had a so much well done treatment during the years, and got so much respect from his own company, that isn't even funny to compare him to "things" like Sonic.... Which, sadly, doesn't represent nothing to me anymore (the first game I played). Pac-Man is the same Pac-Man from before... who doesn't "recognize" him (strangely, somehow.. I mean, is the same yellow and round mascot from the Arcade arts, lol) isn't a fan who followed him through the years.. so, has nothing to add as an real argument. (something we can do... we can point something we don't like in G.A., or even in Pac-Man World series.. we all have the enough baggage with the Pac's story, we're real fans)

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Just dropping in to give my last two cents before the inevitable reveal (or lack thereof). I've been a major Pac-Man supporter for the last two years. During that time, Pac-Man steadily shot up from a character I'd simply like to see but wouldn't mind being excluded, to my most wanted newcomer that will devastate me if he's not added. Quite simply, with Ridley possibly out of the picture, Isaac seeming less likely by the day, and Mewtwo no longer being an inevitability, Pac-Man and King K. Rool are the last remaining character additions that could realistically happen and also make me satisfied beyond belief. Pac-Man especially is a character I've invested so much time into merely wanting that I will surely be very disappointed if he doesn't make it.

So what's my verdict? I don't expect him. If the other newcomers have shown us anything, it's that marketability is incredibly important this time. Sure, Namco's marketing Pac-Man, but they have a lot of other popular franchises too, and I think we're more likely to get a more unexpected "Snake-like" choice from them for promotional purposes, instead of the obvious Pac-Man. I just see Pac-Man as too obvious for Sakurai this time. He's aiming to throw us a lot of curveballs, picking the more "interesting" choices over the more obvious ones (Rosalina over Toad/Bowser Jr., Greninja over a lot of other Pokémon, Wii Fit Trainer). Pac-Man just seems much too safe to me. Anyone could have guessed Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man as the three third-party characters, and I think Sakurai wants to avoid being that predictable. I think he'll include a third-party very few people are expecting instead of Namco's mascot. I do expect Pac-Man to show up as a summon. Namco likes to use Pac-Man more as an easter egg cameo indicative of their arcade history; not so much as a major character in his own right.

But who knows? Pac-Man's status of being incredibly obvious can work in his favor if that worked to compel Namco to insist on him as their rep.

The worst part about Pac getting in is, the majority of the people are going to complain that Pac was a"Wasted a Character slot"
or is a "Waste of time."

Oh well. Haters gonna hate.
After seeing the reaction to Wii Fit Trainer (who I wholly believe has a much more boring moveset than Pac-Man would ever have), I think Sakurai could throw in Dora the Explorer, and the majority of people would still find a way to convince themselves to support the decision.

I'm expecting a lot of butthurt at first, then an immediate shift in opinion once people realize Pac-Man's got a fun moveset....If he gets in, that is.

Expect "No! Not Pac-Man! I wanted Lloyd!" for about an hour, then the majority opinion will be "Lloyd was overrated anyway. Sakurai made the best decision with Pac-Man." Whether or not you support Pac-Man, I think we can all agree that's what's going to happen.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Go home, buddy... or at least, in some thread that you will have your idea supported =). But I can't wait to chomp a lot with Pacster ONline in Smash4. ^^
No need to be rude about this. If Sakurai manages to find a way to include his 8-bit appearance as a playable character, then I am onboard. Otherwise, no.

Oh, btw.. I'm a gamer that grew with Pac-Man.. followed him with all his transitions.. redesigns and eras, .. and I can say that he had a so much well done treatment during the years, and got so much respect from his own company, that isn't even funny to compare him to "things" like Sonic.... Which, sadly, doesn't represent nothing to me anymore (the first game I played).
I didn't bring up Sonic, you did. Oh, well it doesn't matter, some people still like him and, while Sonic's modern appearance is being used for Smash, he really hasn't changed much.

Pac-Man is the same Pac-Man from before... who doesn't "recognize" him (strangely, somehow.. I mean, is the same yellow and round mascot from the Arcade arts, lol) isn't a fan who followed him through the years.. so, has nothing to add as an real argument. (something we can do... we can point something we don't like in G.A., or even in Pac-Man World series.. we all have the enough baggage with the Pac's story, we're real fans)
I wasn't talking about recognizing in the visual sense -_- . Of course people will recognize him as Pac-Man (even with the added eyes and limbs). It's just, outside of a niche group of fans, Pac-Man doesn't have arms or legs. To most people, Pac-Man is and will always be an 8 bit sprite moving around a 2-d maze while eating pellets and ghosts. As someone who hasn't played any game after Ms. Pac-Man, my first impression of the new design just didn't sit too well with me. I suppose it could grow on me, but as of now, I don't like it. You need to remember that Smash has a very wide audience. That wide audience mostly sees Pac-Man as the same game they played in the arcade. The nostalgia for us lies with the arcade design, not the modern one.

Anyway, I didn't come into this thread to troll. I came to see what Pac Man stood when it came to the original classic game being prioritized in smash (rather than the new one). I expected backlash, but didn't expect to be flamed.
Rather than the juvenile "ur not a fan, get out!!" I seem to be getting, why don't you guys try to explain why the newer Pac-Man design getting included is a good thing? Why is it better than a stage or an assist trophy representing his arcade origins? Why should Smash Bros. fans, who are not modern Pac-Man fans want him to be playable?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
That wide audience mostly sees Pac-Man as the same game they played in the arcade. The nostalgia for us lies with the arcade design, not the modern one.

put blue eyes and cool shoes, and done.. here's our modern Pac-Man.. and yeah, Sonic change a LOT! in all the aspects (for the worst, btw),.. and yet, he's still represented as his modern incarnation with a classic moveset.... don't worry, will be this way with Pacster as well. =)... but don't expect a 8-Bit sprite, seriously. Won't be not even close to be fair with Pac's legacy as a character... we all discussed this before, is an unworkable situation.

Rather than the juvenile "ur not a fan, get out!!" I seem to be getting, why don't you guys try to explain why the newer Pac-Man design getting included is a good thing? Why is it better than a stage or an assist trophy representing his arcade origins? Why should Smash Bros. fans, who are not modern Pac-Man fans want him to be playable?
and yeah, I could try to spend once more my time to explain Pac's inclusion being likely to be represented as his modern incarnation (after all, why the heck not?.. Isn't this the biggest target of marketing from NAMCO nowadays? lol)... but, dude... I have nothing against you, but you should read some pages ago (really, doesn't have too much time we talked about those aspects... it is in 10 or 8 pages ago).. And trying (liking or not) to kill our hype of having Pac playable in Smash4 in favor of a "nostalgic look" argument, .. Just this day, one before the Nintendo Digital Event? really?.. =P

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
No need to be rude about this. If Sakurai manages to find a way to include his 8-bit appearance as a playable character, then I am onboard. Otherwise, no.

I didn't bring up Sonic, you did. Oh, well it doesn't matter, some people still like him and, while Sonic's modern appearance is being used for Smash, he really hasn't changed much.

I wasn't talking about recognizing in the visual sense -_- . Of course people will recognize him as Pac-Man (even with the added eyes and limbs). It's just, outside of a niche group of fans, Pac-Man doesn't have arms or legs. To most people, Pac-Man is and will always be an 8 bit sprite moving around a 2-d maze while eating pellets and ghosts. As someone who hasn't played any game after Ms. Pac-Man, my first impression of the new design just didn't sit too well with me. I suppose it could grow on me, but as of now, I don't like it. You need to remember that Smash has a very wide audience. That wide audience mostly sees Pac-Man as the same game they played in the arcade. The nostalgia for us lies with the arcade design, not the modern one.

Anyway, I didn't come into this thread to troll. I came to see what Pac Man stood when it came to the original classic game being prioritized in smash (rather than the new one). I expected backlash, but didn't expect to be flamed.
The problem is you're imposing your opinion on the majority of people and calling it fact. I grew up in the 80s. I was a Pac-Man kid. Yeah, Pac-Man was represented on screen as a circle with a wedge cut out, but everywhere else he wasn't. On toys, dishes, clothes, food, etc. he was represented as a character with arms and legs. Here, look.

And that's just a small example. Pac-Man has and always will be more than just an 8-bit sprite. Trust me, I grew up with the yellow dude, and as a kid I used to draw him with arms and legs all the time. And people who were around in the 80s and 90s know this.

So I'm sorry for people getting upset and angry at your statements, but they do have a point. To say that the majority of people don't know or wouldn't like Pac-Man outside of a sphere with a slice cut out is short sighted and a bit ignorant of the character's history and culture.

Pac-Man is Pac-Man regardless of his form, and it'd be much easier to make him a fighter if he had arms and legs to fight with. :p Imagine 8-bit Pac-Man trying to grab a ledge. It would look stupid.

On that same note, Pac-Man being degraded to a mere assist trophy when he's one of the biggest and most well-known faces in gaming, not to mention the company that owns him is working on the game, would be a major slap in the face to fans and Namco themselves.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
On that same note, Pac-Man being degraded to a mere assist trophy when he's one of the biggest and most well-known faces in gaming, not to mention the company that owns him is working on the game, would be a major slap in the face to fans and Namco themselves.
yeah,.. like "Let's make our biggest IP be just a Stage/Assist Trophy; Doesn't really matter how much money we spent in his marketing in the last 5 years.. people wouldn't be too upset to lose him in the playable status, not even having Mario, Sonic and Mega Man in the game". =P.

Yeah.. I see this totally happening.

PS: I'm totally jealous of your collection. *w*

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
put blue eyes and cool shoes, and done.. here's our modern Pac-Man.. and yeah, Sonic change a LOT! in all the aspects (for the worst, btw),.. and yet, he's still represented as his modern incarnation with a classic moveset.... don't worry, will be this way with Pacster as well. =)... but don't expect a 8-Bit sprite, seriously. Won't be not even close to be fair with Pac's legacy as a character... we all discussed this before, is an unworkable situation.
Eh, I didn't mean an 8-bit sprite, but more of a minimalistic design. Eh, at this point, Sakurai can probably make anything work.

and yeah, I could try to spend once more my time to explain Pac's inclusion being likely to be represented as his modern incarnation (after all, why the heck not?.. Isn't this the biggest target of marketing from NAMCO nowadays? lol)... but, dude... I have nothing against you, but you should read some pages ago (really, doesn't have too much time we talked about those aspects... it is in 10 or 8 pages ago).. And trying (liking or not) to kill our hype of having Pac playable in Smash4 in favor of a "nostalgic look" argument, .. Just this day, one before the Nintendo Digital Event? really?.. =P
I didn't feel like sifting through pages upon pages of hype :p. I meant to post something like these here a while ago, but never got around to it. I figured today was my last chance.

Anyway, I didn't mean to spoil your hype, I more or less wanted a reason not to be disappointed if Pac-Man got revealed.

The problem is you're imposing your opinion on the majority of people and calling it fact. I grew up in the 80s. I was a Pac-Man kid. Yeah, Pac-Man was represented on screen as a circle with a wedge cut out, but everywhere else he wasn't. On toys, dishes, clothes, food, etc. he was represented as a character with arms and legs. Here, look.

And that's just a small example. Pac-Man has and always will be more than just an 8-bit sprite. Trust me, I grew up with the yellow dude, and as a kid I used to draw him with arms and legs all the time. And people who were around in the 80s and 90s know this.
You are stating this from the point of view of a Pac-Man fan who grew up with him. As someone who wasn't around in the 80's (which makes up a significant percentage of Smash's audience), I haven't really seen any Pac-man merchandise. My only experience with him is the games. Over time, people don't remember the merchandise, they remember the game. I am not imposing my opinion as fact on anyone. Those who are younger or only have a passing interest simply aren't going to remember the same things older and die-hard fans do.

So I'm sorry for people getting upset and angry at your statements, but they do have a point. To say that the majority of people don't know or wouldn't like Pac-Man outside of a sphere with a slice cut out is short sighted and a bit ignorant of the character's history and culture.

Oh, I never said people wouldn't like him. It would just seem "off" at first. An 8-bit Pac-man stage (with Pac-Man/ghosts being a stage hazard) would be universally recognizable and appreciated. A playable modern Pac-Man would probably receive a more "meh" reaction outside of the niche (modern) Pac-Man fan base.

Pac-Man is Pac-Man regardless of his form, and it'd be much easier to make him a fighter if he had arms and legs to fight with. :p Imagine 8-bit Pac-Man trying to grab a ledge. It would look stupid.

You're right about the 8-bit thing. I didn't necessarily believe it was a good idea when I said it :p (moreso to quell the angry responses I was getting).

I don't think Pac Man being an Assist Trophy or a stage hazard would be degrading. I just think that, in Smash Bros, a character (especially one as iconic as Pac Man), should be represented by what he was in his prime. The only non-silly way to do that would be to give him an awesome stage (or AT)!

yeah,.. like "Let's make our biggest IP be just a Stage/Assist Trophy; Doesn't really matter how much money we spent in his marketing in the last 5 years.. people wouldn't be too upset to lose him in the playable status, not even having Mario, Sonic and Mega Man in the game". =P.

Yeah.. I see this totally happening.
Most people (outside of his fans) wouldn't be too upset if he wasn't playable as long as he was represented in the game in some way. Plus, Sakurai said that Namco wouldn't have any special treatment when it comes to adding characters to the game.

Personally, I would love to have a classic-style Pac-Man stage along with another Namco character (Tales or Soul Calibur maybe?). I don't think Namco would be too upset with that :p

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Most people (outside of his fans) wouldn't be too upset if he wasn't playable as long as he was represented in the game in some way. Plus, Sakurai said that Namco wouldn't have any special treatment when it comes to adding characters to the game.

Personally, I would love to have a classic-style Pac-Man stage along with another Namco character (Tales or Soul Calibur maybe?). I don't think Namco would be too upset with that :p
"let's please everybody putting Pac-Man in the game! less the Pac-Man fans!"

yeah, like Ridley fans having him as stage hazard, or perhaps Ashley and Skull Kid fans having them as Assist Trophy?... No, not really. You're really generalizing the situation. We, grown people that had Pac-Man on the childhood, know Pac-Man by what he is (in general)... Younger gamers know Pac-Man by Ghostly Adventures (kids really love, I guarantee), Pac-Man Party, Street Fighter X Tekken and such.. Those who doesn't know Pac outside his 8-Bit incarnation, aren't gamers .. and don't play Smash at all. (probably don't know that Yoshi says "Yoshi!" or even that Sonic now has green eyes too).

in short, wait one more day, Pacster will be Smash, playable!.. with a full 3D model, voice, stage (maze, most likely), music, ATs and all... =)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Eh, I didn't mean an 8-bit sprite, but more of a minimalistic design. Eh, at this point, Sakurai can probably make anything work.

I didn't feel like sifting through pages upon pages of hype :p. I meant to post something like these here a while ago, but never got around to it. I figured today was my last chance.

Anyway, I didn't mean to spoil your hype, I more or less wanted a reason not to be disappointed if Pac-Man got revealed.

You are stating this from the point of view of a Pac-Man fan who grew up with him. As someone who wasn't around in the 80's (which makes up a significant percentage of Smash's audience), I haven't really seen any Pac-man merchandise. My only experience with him is the games. Over time, people don't remember the merchandise, they remember the game. I am not imposing my opinion as fact on anyone. Those who are younger or only have a passing interest simply aren't going to remember the same things older and die-hard fans do.

Oh, I never said people wouldn't like him. It would just seem "off" at first. An 8-bit Pac-man stage (with Pac-Man/ghosts being a stage hazard) would be universally recognizable and appreciated. A playable modern Pac-Man would probably receive a more "meh" reaction outside of the niche (modern) Pac-Man fan base.

You're right about the 8-bit thing. I didn't necessarily believe it was a good idea when I said it :p (moreso to quell the angry responses I was getting).

I don't think Pac Man being an Assist Trophy or a stage hazard would be degrading. I just think that, in Smash Bros, a character (especially one as iconic as Pac Man), should be represented by what he was in his prime. The only non-silly way to do that would be to give him an awesome stage (or AT)!

What you're missing is that representing him as a pie would degrade his stature to a hasbin who doesn't have worthy enough current games to be recognized.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
"let's please everybody putting Pac-Man in the game! less the Pac-Man fans!"

yeah, like Ridley fans having him as stage hazard, or perhaps Ashley and Skull Kid fans having them as Assist Trophy?... No, not really. You're really generalizing the situation. We, grown people that had Pac-Man on the childhood, know Pac-Man by what he is (in general)... Younger gamers know Pac-Man by Ghostly Adventures (kids really love, I guarantee), Pac-Man Party, Street Fighter X Tekken and such.. Those who doesn't know Pac outside his 8-Bit incarnation, aren't gamers .. and don't play Smash at all. (probably don't know that Yoshi says "Yoshi!" or even that Sonic now has green eyes too).
Sooo, you criticize me for generalizing, yet you make generalizations yourself? What you're saying is simply wrong. I'm a gamer, I play Smash (heck, I mod Smash). I knew Pac-Man had other games, but the only one that ever stood out to me was the original. It is truly the only one I really know. I'm pretty sure the other Smashers who would prefer Pac-Man not being a playable character felt a similar way.

What you're missing is that representing him as a pie would degrade his stature to a hasbin who doesn't have worthy enough current games to be recognized.
I'm not missing anything. That is my point. While Pac-Man is a classic, the character himself is a "hasbin." As I said before, I believe he should not be represented by anything other than the original classic (back when he was actually good).
From what I've seen, the majority of his newer games look either boring, unappealing, or just bad. Their reviews are terrible (just look at his Metacritic scores) and I haven't seen or been told anything here that would convince me otherwise. To me, he is long past his prime.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the hype here. Hopefully tomorrow we will find out what is actually going to happen regarding this. I'm almost certain he will be in the game in some way, I just hope that it is a stage rather than a playable character.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
once again, you're implying that's better for Sakurai and NAMCO try to pleases people who simply "know" Pac-Man, than who actually likes him (his fans). anyway.. hope you change your mind when you see him fighting against the other mascots in Smash4. =)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm not missing anything. That is my point. While Pac-Man is a classic, the character himself is a "hasbin." As I said before, I believe he should not be represented by anything other than the original classic (back when he was actually good).
From what I've seen, the majority of his newer games look either boring, unappealing, or just bad. Their reviews are terrible (just look at his Metacritic scores) and I haven't seen or been told anything here that would convince me otherwise. To me, he is long past his prime.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the hype here. Hopefully tomorrow we will find out what is actually going to happen regarding this. I'm almost certain he will be in the game in some way, I just hope that it is a stage rather than a playable character.
Wow. I have nothing left to say to this. Heh, sonic has the exact same slump and no one says anything about him, but when pac-man has a handful of bad games everyone calls him a hasbin. Fine. Lets forget about the pacman world series, Pacman championship DX and most of his other games excluding his party games (party games are usually bad anyway, just look at gameinformer's reviews on every Mario party game)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Most people (outside of his fans) wouldn't be too upset if he wasn't playable as long as he was represented in the game in some way.
To be fair, this can be said for just about any possible newcomer this time. How many of Smash's primary demographic is really going to flip their lid if Palutena, Shulk, or Chrom aren't playable? The majority of Smash Bros. players probably don't even care which characters get into the game. They just buy it because it's fun and has Mario/Pokémon in it. It's just one of those games you're expected to buy if you own a Nintendo console, like Mario Kart.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
once again, you're implying that's better for Sakurai and NAMCO try to pleases people who simply "know" Pac-Man, than who actually likes him (his fans). anyway.. hope you change your mind when you see him fighting against the other mascots in Smash4. =)
Yup! That's exactly what I'm doing. When you make something you are planning on selling, you want it to appeal to as many people as possible... Not a niche fan base This is part of the reason why Brawl was so anti-competitive -- Sakurai cared more about appealing to the casual crowd than the competitive community (which were arguably the biggest fans of the game).

We'll see what happen tomorrow though.

Wow. I have nothing left to say to this. Heh, sonic has the exact same slump and no one says anything about him, but when pac-man has a handful of bad games everyone calls him a hasbin. Fine. Lets forget about the pacman world series, Pacman championship DX and most of his other games excluding his party games (party games are usually bad anyway, just look
at gameinformer's reviews on every Mario party game)
Uh, have you looked at the reviews for his games? Most of them are mediocre to bad. For someone that's not a already fan of the series, that's not convincing. Championship DX looks good, but that one is a new take on classic Pac-Man, so it doesn't really help your case for the inclusion of modern Pac-Man. As for Sonic, I always assumed he was included to symbolize nintendo and sega's old rivalry. He also has a moveset that is true to his original incarnation

To be fair, this can be said for just about any possible newcomer this time. How many of Smash's primary demographic is really going to flip their lid if Palutena, Shulk, or Chrom aren't playable? The majority of Smash Bros. players probably don't even care which characters get into the game. They just buy it because it's fun and has Mario/Pokémon in it. It's just one of those games you're expected to buy if you own a Nintendo console, like Mario Kart.
I know, I said that because everyone seemed to be implying that it would be an unthinkable travesty if Namco was working on the game and didn't include Pac Man as a playable character

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Sooo, you criticize me for generalizing, yet you make generalizations yourself? What you're saying is simply wrong. I'm a gamer, I play Smash (heck, I mod Smash). I knew Pac-Man had other games, but the only one that ever stood out to me was the original. It is truly the only one I really know. I'm pretty sure the other Smashers who would prefer Pac-Man not being a playable character felt a similar way.

So Pac-Man as an easteregg/assist trophey/stage and not a full playable character? That's like Nintendo putting a Pac-Man course in Namco-(co)developed Mario Kart Arcade GP but not letting Pac-Man be a character. And after years of Namco trying to get Pac-Man back on his feet and "back into the mainstream" (Heck, has he really ever not been in the "mainstream"?) they are not going to let him be just another little easteregg. Being playable in Smash would be a huge step in finally being taken seriously by people like you who think that Pac-Man is now a washed-out hasbin.

And Sonic hasn't really have any good games lately either. Need I remind you of the mediocre Advance and Rush series, Secret Rings, Sonic `06, Black Knight, Unleashed, and the pretty good but still kinda so-so Lost Worlds. And he has also gone through various redesigns. In fact he is pulling a Ghostly Adventures and doing a cartoon reboot copying Pac-Man himself! (Note that I don't have anything against the GA reboot) Now what does that tell you? Sonic is going through all of the crap Pac-Man is going through but he is still beloved and tolerated by many. I don't get why people support Sonic no matter how deep of a slope he is going on but they don't support the equally iconic Pac-Man. And let's not forget about Megaman who hasn't even had any games at all lately, but they still let him in since he is a highly recognizable icon. They even used his NES classic form which is also criticized by some people as they would have preferred another version of Megaman.

Nintendo has had partnerships with Capcom/Mega Man, Sega/Sonic, and Namco/Pac-Man. Allowing Pac-Man to be playable in Smash Bros would be the perfect way commemorate Nintendo's relationships with the three companies and their continuing support of the third-parties throughout their mascots' hardships. So if you don't want Pac-Man to be in then too bad. I'll see you this summer (or winter if you're going down the Wii U-only route) to pwn you and those who doubt the Pacster.

Afterall, what would Sakurai do? Would he waste all of this cuture, history, material, and potentiality (hope I used that word right) on a minor stage or assist trophey or would he take advantage of this unique partnership with Bandai-Namco and make a whole playable character out of Pac-Man? We'll most likely find out tomorrow!

Last edited:

Azureyoshi

Smash Rookie
I wanted to ask this here since a few days ago (Kinda nervous to bring this up at first). I know this is going to be strange but, am I the only person here that finds the 8-Bit Pac-Man kind of weird or creepy (Especially 3-D renders of it)? :confused:

I grew up knowing Pac-Man starting from around Pac-Man World 2. (Then again, I didn't start playing games until 1998 with the N64. I was only 6 years old then. And I never liked the original maze game that much, even though I think that was the first Pac-Man game my parents introduced me to shortly before PMW2. I just preferred the platform games more.) So, I like Pac-Man with his general mascot design more (Jp arcade cabinet art/PMW/Ghostly Adventures).

Off subject, but I feel this way with Sonic too. Prefer Modern to Classic by a lot. (But, similar to Pac-Man that's probably due to Sonic Adventure being my first Sonic game. And I didn't grow up with the classic games, but I did play them later.) :4sonic:

Anyways, can't wait for Ninty's E3 presentation tomorrow!!! Hopefully we will all get some great game news & reveals! :250:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I wanted to ask this here since a few days ago (Kinda nervous to bring this up at first). I know this is going to be strange but, am I the only person here that finds the 8-Bit Pac-Man kind of weird or creepy (Especially 3-D renders of it)? :confused:

I grew up knowing Pac-Man starting from around Pac-Man World 2. (Then again, I didn't start playing games until 1998 with the N64. I was only 6 years old then. And I never liked the original maze game that much, even though I think that was the first Pac-Man game my parents introduced me to shortly before PMW2. I just preferred the platform games more.) So, I like Pac-Man with his general mascot design more (Jp arcade cabinet art/PMW/Ghostly Adventures).

Off subject, but I feel this way with Sonic too. Prefer Modern to Classic by a lot. (But, similar to Pac-Man that's probably due to Sonic Adventure being my first Sonic game. And I didn't grow up with the classic games, but I did play them later.) :4sonic:

Anyways, can't wait for Ninty's E3 presentation tomorrow!!! Hopefully we will all get some great game news & reveals! :250:
Pac-Man Adventures in Time was my first Pac-Man game, so I understand. I still find him kind of cute when he's a ball, but that's not my Pac-Man at all.

Azureyoshi

Smash Rookie
Uh oh... ok. Ignore my earlier comment. This was not a good time to ask. Sorry everyone. (Was typing while on page 76) :urg:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
So a 2D Pac-Man as an easteregg/assist trophey/stage and not a full 3D limbed character? That's like Nintendo putting a Pac-Man course in Namco-(co)developed Mario Kart Arcade GP but not letting Pac-Man be a character. And after years of Namco trying to get Pac-Man back on his feet and "back into the mainstream" (has he really ever not been in the "mainstream"?) they are not going to let him be just another little easteregg. Being playable in Smash would be a huge piece in finally being taken seriously by people like you who think that Pac-Man is now a washed-out hasbin.

And Sonic hasn't really have any good games lately either. Need I remind you of the mediocre Advance and Rush series, Secret Rings, Sonic `06, Black Knight, Unleashed, and the pretty good but still kinda so-so Lost Worlds. And he has also gone through various redesigns. In fact he is pulling a Ghostly Adventures and doing a cartoon reboot copying Pac-Man himself! (Note that I don't have anything against the GA reboot) Now what does that tell you? Sonic is going through all of the crap Pac-Man is going through but he is still beloved and tolerated by many. I don't get why people support Sonic no matter how deep of a slope he is going on but they don't support the equally iconic Pac-Man.
You guys keep bringing up sonic, even though I never mention any support for him -_-
I completely agree that sonic is a washed up "hasbin" (just like Pac-Man). Modern Pac's inclusion in smash won't change my oppinion of him. Good games will. (Yes, I am aware of championship edition. That's classic Pac-man design)

The reason more people like sonic is probably because it's easier (for someone who isn't familiar with either series) to appreciate a design based on an animal than a yellow ball with arms and legs.

Nintendo has had partnerships with both Sega/Sonic and Namco/Pac-Man. Allowing Pac-Man to be playable in Smash Bros would be the perfect way commemorate Nintendo's relationships with the two companies and their continuing support of the third-parties throughout their mascot's hardships. So if you don't want Pac-Man to be in then too bad. I'll see you this summer (or winter if you're going down the Wii U-only route) to pwn you and those who doubt the Pacster.
I'm getting both versions, so I'll gladly accept your challenge!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
You guys keep bringing up sonic, even though I never mention any support for him -_-
I completely agree that sonic is a washed up "hasbin" (just like Pac-Man). Modern Pac's inclusion in smash won't change my oppinion of him. Good games will. (Yes, I am aware of championship edition. That's classic Pac-man design)

The reason more people like sonic is probably because it's easier (for someone who isn't familiar with either series) to appreciate a design based on an animal than a yellow ball with arms and legs.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, but in this thread, yours is definitely not a popular one. I think if Namco has their character represented, they're going to have him as they've always portrayed him. Regardless of whether it's circle Pac or arms and legs Pac, he's still insanely recognizable. You can't tell me people would see the Ghostly Adventures or Pac-Man World Pac-Man and go "who is that?" It just wouldn't happen.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I don't care about changing your opinion of pacman. I just want you to see that he's so much more than just the yellow ball you think he is. Most of us here on this thread grew up with pacman and fell in love with his charm and comical albeit silent personality. We feel that he would be a character to play as because he's such a diverse character. He can pretty much do anything with the amount of games that namco puts him in and he could have a Moveset that no one has seen before based on arcade and more recent games. How can you sit there and say he's a bad character based on a few recent games alone when namco is now trying harder than ever to make their character awesome again. Instead of bashing his present and forcing him into the past, why don't you look at the bigger picture and see that Pac-Man will continue to live on as long as the love of the fans and his company supports him all the way.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
(Yes, I am aware of championship edition. That's classic Pac-man design)

:awesome:

anyway, can't wait to see Pac's trailer tomorrow! 'u', I have everything prepared... food, soda, my bedroom (aka sanctuary) will be the perfect day!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice

Okay, challange accepted, sorry for me and some other guys giving you crap. I'm kinda speaking for myself here but I think that we're just on edge from the hype of Pac-Man's potential (and we believe highly likely) character reveal tomorrow and I also think that a lot of us supporters are defensive from nonsupporters giving us crap. And I gladly accept you accepting my challenge. Either friend me on Miiverse or I'll PM your 3DS friendcode and I'll PM you mine.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm sure that Sakurai knew since the beginning the responsibility he assumed when he decided to work alongside NAMCO Bandai AND decided put Mega Man and Sonic in the game... As anyone, he looks for the roster.. or for a Free-For-All Battle when testing the BETA, with just Mario, Sonic and Mega Man and says to himself "Pac-Man fits perfectly on this".

Is everything in favor to Pacster... everything.. and nothing against (just ... eck, people.. weird people =P); Of course that nervousness is normal... but we're walking to the victory, Pac-Supporters! Don't give up now, we're close!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about changing your opinion of pacman. I just want you to see that he's so much more than just the yellow ball you think he is. Most of us here on this thread grew up with pacman and fell in love with his charm and comical albeit silent personality. We feel that he would be a character to play as because he's such a diverse character. He can pretty much do anything with the amount of games that namco puts him in and he could have a Moveset that no one has seen before based on arcade and more recent games. How can you sit there and say he's a bad character based on a few recent games alone when namco is now trying harder than ever to make their character awesome again. Instead of bashing his present and forcing him into the past, why don't you look at the bigger picture and see that Pac-Man will continue to live on as long as the love of the fans and his company supports him all the way.
Yeah I know, but relax and just take pride in knowing that Pac-Man will be playable. Maybe Sandfall will give you his FC/ NNID also and we can both challenge and pwn him using Pac-Man. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it, no matter how awesomely refreshing that water is.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, but in this thread, yours is definitely not a popular one. I think if Namco has their character represented, they're going to have him as they've always portrayed him. Regardless of whether it's circle Pac or arms and legs Pac, he's still insanely recognizable. You can't tell me people would see the Ghostly Adventures or Pac-Man World Pac-Man and go "who is that?" It just wouldn't happen.
You don't seem to be reading what I post do you? Here it is for the third time: I never said that people wouldn't be able to recognize him. am not trying to change your opinions either. Classic Pac man is held dear by more people than modern Pac man, therefore, classic Pac man is what I believe should be represented.

I asked you guys why you believe modern Pac should get priority over classic Pac and the only responses I keep getting are silly comparisons to sonic and photos of merchandise from the 80s. I don't subscribe to the whole "he doesn't have a viable moveset" silliness, I just don't like his modern incarnation.

That being said, I actually think Modern Pac Man's chances are good and even stronger than Snake. It's just not the way I would want it to be.

Uh really? Cause that's what I came here for. I want a reason to actually like the character.

Okay, I worded that particular comment wrong. There, by design, I meant game design. Going back to a series' roots almost always works out well for them. Whether they are capable of making new and original (well received) games determines the relevancy of a character.

Okay, challange accepted, sorry for me and some other guys giving you crap. I'm kinda speaking for myself here but I think that we're just on edge from the hype of Pac-Man's potential (and we believe highly likely) character reveal tomorrow and I also think that a lot of us supporters are defensive from nonsupporters giving us crap. And I gladly accept you accepting my challenge. Either friend me on Miiverse or I'll PM your 3DS friendcode and I'll PM you mine.
Haha I'm not denying his chances. Playable Pac Man is quite likely I was just hoping for something... Different

Yeah I know, but relax and just take pride in knowing that Pac-Man will be playable. Maybe Sandfall will give you his FC/ NNID also and we can both challenge and pwn him using Pac-Man.
Yup, if Pac man is announced I'll happily challenge you both. Hehe Good luck ;)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Oh, the reviewers decide how much you can like a game, or character? ... remember when Sonic appeared in Brawl?.. what was his last game at the time? the wonderful Sonic 06! succeeding wonders like Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes! Not to mention that, shortly thereafter, a game of high quality called "Secret Rings" was about to be released!

...oh boy, I would say for you "try again"... but, no please, I don't want to see you continuing (again, no offense). Just wait until the end of the next day (if he's not in the Digital Event, there will be a lot of things from Nintendo tomorrow!).. and then, you can come back an say everything you want against him (if he's not in the game, lol =P).

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
You don't seem to be reading what I post do you? Here it is for the third time: I never said that people wouldn't be able to recognize him. am not trying to change your opinions either. Classic Pac man is held dear by more people than modern Pac man, therefore, classic Pac man is what I believe should be represented.

I asked you guys why you believe modern Pac should get priority over classic Pac and the only responses I keep getting are silly comparisons to sonic and photos of merchandise from the 80s. I don't subscribe to the whole "he doesn't have a viable moveset" silliness, I just don't like his modern incarnation.

That being said, I actually think Modern Pac Man's chances are good and even stronger than Snake. It's just not the way I would want it to be.
I hear what you're saying, and what I'm saying is whether it's pie chart Pac-Man or arms-and-legs Pac-Man, he's the same character regardless. Namco has never separated him. Even on the original Puck-Man machines, he's represented the same as he is today.

If he's beloved by people or not, they're going to recognize him either way. Therefor, if you're going to include him in a fighting game, you'd want to have as many options with a character as possible, and using classic, 8-bit Pac-Man cuts those out incredibly.

I'm reading what you're saying and I'm saying in response that classic Pac-Man and modern Pac-Man are one in the same. You view them as separate, but they've never been as such. He's the same character, just displayed differently, but achieves the same goal. Reducing him to a mere assist trophy because of the notion that people wouldn't like his arms-and-legs incarnation is absurd.

Besides, as we've discussed multiple times, Pac-Man's final smash could be similar to Game & Watch'e where he transforms. Pac-Man could transform into a giant 8-bit sprite Pac-Man and chase opponents down. Best of both worlds.

Top Bottom