• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Spooky is cooler than Betrayus in my opinion. He always gave off an actual threatening vibe. Something I never got from Betrayus.

He's just Team Rocket lite to me. Lol

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
good to see some love for Spooky! I like him a lot,... liked Betrayus inclusion as well, but Spooky will always have a place as one of my favorite villains. =3... And, also, I was digging in the Pac-World site, and I found a pic of the Ghost Gang with the exactly same pose of the original artworks from the Arcade game, I fell in love. XD... Is always good to see how much respect NAMCO gives for the Pac-Man story. =)
Ahhhh! I love it! That's so awesome!

Spooky is cooler than Betrayus in my opinion. He always gave off an actual threatening vibe. Something I never got from Betrayus.

Yeah, Betrayus was never that threatening. He occasionally has some decent plans, but it's more comical like Team Rocket than anything else. The Pointy Heads (aliens toward the end of season 1) actually had some pretty threatening plots, and I'm interested to see where the storyline goes due to what they said in the end of the last episode.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

that's exactly why I like him.. I love some goofy villains, .. Eggman and Bowser, as example. =P

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Betrayus is more annoying then threating.
I think that's kind of his role though. Even when he had his body, he was a terrible general. It's a kid's show, so I guess they didn't want him to be too scary and threatening, just a character who constantly creates conflict. King of like how the Power Rangers or Sailor Moon always had that one bad guy that wouldn't give up, but never really got far.

Truth be told, I kind of like villains like that. As @ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia mentioned, Eggman and Bowser kind of fall into that realm as well. It makes them more fun and makes them feel more like a character because they have flaws rather than just an evil mastermind with perfectly executed plans.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I think that's kind of his role though. Even when he had his body, he was a terrible general. It's a kid's show, so I guess they didn't want him to be too scary and threatening, just a character who constantly creates conflict. King of like how the Power Rangers or Sailor Moon always had that one bad guy that wouldn't give up, but never really got far.

Truth be told, I kind of like villains like that. As @ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia mentioned, Eggman and Bowser kind of fall into that realm as well. It makes them more fun and makes them feel more like a character because they have flaws rather than just an evil mastermind with perfectly executed plans.
I like Betrayus 'cause he reminds me a lot Hades from Disney's Hercules... in the way of talk (at least in the Brazilian dub), the gestures, .. how he gets angry with his minions, etc; =P .. I think he's my favorite character post reboot

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I like Betrayus 'cause he reminds me a lot Hades from Disney's Hercules... in the way of talk (at least in the Brazilian dub), the gestures, .. how he gets angry with his minions, etc; =P .. I think he's my favorite character post reboot
Man, it's really hard to pick my favs. Cylli and Spiral are cool, but they're not my favs. I really love Pac's personality and gestures, but I also really adore what they did with the four ghosts. They're so different and unique now instead of being different color variants of each other. Betrayus is cool too, and Buttler is awesome just because of the crap he puts up with and his occasional 30 seconds of revenge.

I dunno, if I had to pick, I'd say Blinky, but I hate grouping him by himself, so I'd rather say the four ghosts. I just love what they did with them.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Man, it's really hard to pick my favs. Cylli and Spiral are cool, but they're not my favs. I really love Pac's personality and gestures, but I also really adore what they did with the four ghosts. They're so different and unique now instead of being different color variants of each other. Betrayus is cool too, and Buttler is awesome just because of the crap he puts up with and his occasional 30 seconds of revenge.

I dunno, if I had to pick, I'd say Blinky, but I hate grouping him by himself, so I'd rather say the four ghosts. I just love what they did with them.
I mean, from the characters introduced in the reboot, not exactly the characters that already existed; .. I like Cylindria a lot too; but Betrayus is by far my favorite post-reboot character. =P..

"The plan is not yours! Is mine, mine, mine, mine!" XD

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I LOVE comedic villains, Bowser, Eggman, Hades, Gruntillda, you name it. But they were always threating when needed to be, I didn't get that with Betrayus, but as you said, it's a kid show. From a design stand-point, I do think he looks really cool.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I LOVE comedic villains, Bowser, Eggman, Hades, Gruntillda, you name it. But they were always threating when needed to be, I didn't get that with Betrayus, but as you said, it's a kid show. From a design stand-point, I do think he looks really cool.
I dunno.. Betrayus sometimes can make some threatening scenes... if you consider when he taunts Pac telling him about his parents being "dead" (not exactly sure anymore); or when he are attacking Pac-World with his army... but, of course, the show always explores more his comical vein, which is okay, I suppose.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Very true. He's had a couple moments where he got decently serious and threatening, but it was honestly few and far between. In several episodes, he literally had Pac-Man in his control and could have won. He has had great schemes, but he inevitably fails because of his own selfishness.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I dunno.. Betrayus sometimes can make some threatening scenes... if you consider when he taunts Pac telling him about his parents being "dead" (not exactly sure anymore); or when he are attacking Pac-World with his army... but, of course, the show always explores more his comical vein, which is okay, I suppose.
I've only seen a couple of episodes (I've been watching it as of late), so he does get more threatning, then that's good.

He has had great schemes, but he inevitably fails because of his own selfishness.
The same could be said about Dr.Eggman, but I personally feel it's much better executed with him.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I wasn't talking about JUST mindless Smash fanatics... I was thinking about the general, mainstream audience.

I can see all the reasons why he should be in and why he deserves it, but I already know that. But what do general people generally think?
I have no idea. Honestly, I don't think the general population really cares about what characters get into the game.

Really glad to see all of those historical throwbacks in that app game. I'm a little more confident now that if Pac-Man shows up in Smash, his trophies will include characters from games prior to Ghostly Adventures. I also adore the art style and character design of this thing. I wish they'd convert to that style. Heck, ditch the GA universe in general for this one, and I'd be pleased.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... I only have two Namco games in my Wii Virtual Console library: Pac-Man and Dig Dug. Any other Namco games you guys would recommend me to get from Wii Shop Channel? (BTW, I haven't downloaded anything from Wii U eShop besides EarthBound, DuckTales, and Pikmin 3 DLC).

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
speaking of trophies, I doing my own set of trophies... I mean, those what I expect and hope to be in the game; I considered some rules, ... I'll explain better later, I'm preparing a montage, .. I hope to post today.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I have no idea. Honestly, I don't think the general population really cares about what characters get into the game.

Really glad to see all of those historical throwbacks in that app game. I'm a little more confident now that if Pac-Man shows up in Smash, his trophies will include characters from games prior to Ghostly Adventures. I also adore the art style and character design of this thing. I wish they'd convert to that style. Heck, ditch the GA universe in general for this one, and I'd be pleased.
You know, even though I do love the GA style and universe, I would be totally okay with them using this art style in the future, even if it were to make a full 3-D RPG on consoles or 3DS or even a show. It's such an amazing and unique art style that I can't help but adore it.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Pac Man is such an oddity of a character, its hard for me sometimes to decided if I fully want him in the new Smash Bros or not. He has a lot going for him that I like, and his chances are quite high this time around, but there are a few cons to him as well, though those might be more personal then objective.

Namco seems to have such a good history with nintendo and the fact they are helping out with the creation of Smash Bros and helping Sakurai put in such big names like Megaman and Sonic, really makes me feel they might want to get in on this action (I dont think anyone could deny that a battle between Capcom, Sega, Nintendo and Namco wouldn't be one of the coolest match ups to have available). Definitly its not 100% guaranteed, but I think Sakurai would see the potential there.

A lot of people would bring up his quote, mentioning that Namco would not get any special consideration for helping with smash bros. But in reality I don't think this is Sakurai saying "Namco is not allowed to have a character in our game". It sound more like he wants to avoid people thinking Namco would take advantage of the situation and saying "Since we are helping you guys build such a huge game, we want to be able to put one of our characters in your game." If Namco sat down with Sakurai and talked about the idea of of how putting their main iconic character Pac-Man in the game would benefit both parties, I'm sure an agreement could be made.

That being said I understand some of the problems with Pac-man for Sakurai. Unlike Megaman and Sonic, who I think everyone and their dog wanted in smash bros, Pacman is a little less popular and certainly has a group of haters on his case. I could understand Sakurai being a little worried about this. As well, I am not so certain Sakurai would want to use his newest design from Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures, as it would be more of an advertisement for the T.V show, rather then the pac man games (I have honestly never seen the show and dont know if it was inspired by the Games or if the game was inspired by the show, so you'll have to excuse me if im talking out my ass on this point.)

Frankly I am not a huge fan of the T.V shows version of pacman. Those small pupils, the teeth in his mouth. Something about the design seems really off to me (Personal opinion, so certainly feel free to ignore this part of my post if you disagree.)

I would much rather see this version of him (not fighting in a big weird robot just this look) if he was going to be in the game.

It isn't too much different from his TV show look, but the small tweaks and facial expressions that came from this game I actually enjoyed. Seeing him spin around and say "Aaaaaalrighty" really made him a fun quirky character to me. (Ditch the robot for me if you come to Smash alright Paccy.)

He has a decent chance of making it in this game, despte whether or not some really want him, so I'de say I support him for the most part.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Good post, @ Topplox Topplox , and welcome to the supporters. "For the most part." ;)

I agree, I think a mix of classic and new would look great for Pac-Man, although I'm not really sure what they're going to pull off. The Pac-Man Party design seems to be that perfect realm that almost no one has any problems with, which is what the SFxT design seems to be based off of, although I hope the model in Smash 4 is a bit more detailed than the one they used there. It wasn't bad, and it's odd to say for a round character, but more polygons and detail would definitely make him look a ton better.

As for the TV show, many people look at it and think "what have they done to Pac-Man?" Truth is, the TV show is a reboot. It's a new world with a new story and a new Pac-Man. The character in the show isn't even the same Pac-Man from any of the other games, which is where I think a lot of people get confused. Regardless, it's something completely different which draws its history from the games. Now you know. :)

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
!!!

I never thought they'd use Spooky again. I'm so happy about that :D

...I'd totally buy this if it were for the Eshop or something...I don't have any IOS device.
Do you have an android device? It's on there, too.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Good post, @ Topplox Topplox , and welcome to the supporters. "For the most part." ;)

I agree, I think a mix of classic and new would look great for Pac-Man, although I'm not really sure what they're going to pull off. The Pac-Man Party design seems to be that perfect realm that almost no one has any problems with, which is what the SFxT design seems to be based off of, although I hope the model in Smash 4 is a bit more detailed than the one they used there. It wasn't bad, and it's odd to say for a round character, but more polygons and detail would definitely make him look a ton better.

As for the TV show, many people look at it and think "what have they done to Pac-Man?" Truth is, the TV show is a reboot. It's a new world with a new story and a new Pac-Man. The character in the show isn't even the same Pac-Man from any of the other games, which is where I think a lot of people get confused. Regardless, it's something completely different which draws its history from the games. Now you know. :)
Ha might as well put me as a supporter. I do feel he is getting in and if he does get in I will look forward to trying him out. Considering the pacman's look hasent changed too much over the years, leads me to believe that we will get at least a costume version of his completely black eyed self. I in vision his FS converting him back into his 8-bit self, so if they did it that way the could at least include a little bit of each of his incarnations (could be asking for too much, but its always an idea.)

I would be lying if I wasn't one of those "Oh god pacman what happened" people, but really its not a huge deal for me. I haven't kept up much with Pac Man, and its understandable that as the years go by, characters have to adapt and change every so often.

Soulless "****-Face" Pac-Man is best Pac-Man.
That is half the reason I love Pac Man in Street Fighter x Tekken. I actual dont even have the game, just seen game footage and some playthroughs. He just looks so creepy sometimes but they manage to give him some real personality when he gets hit or attacks.

Doesn't help that somehow I have become addicted to this song and hope if he makes it in this song would be included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNFScwi4-o

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If brawl's MGS4 theme could get into MGS4, then I'm sure we might get the Cross Tekken Pac-Man and Mega Man themes. Lol

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
While I enjoy the expressiveness of Pac-Man in games like Pac-Man Party, I can't deny that his portrayal in SFxT is charming in its own way. The soulless, smiling gaze makes him look like an emoticon, and with his eternal cheeriness, it's hard to not find that at least a little appealing.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
@ Topplox Topplox Welcome aboard, Pac-Supporter, I guess. XD.. and about the TV Show subject, it's actually a reboot of the series.. was done by a TV Show, but is reflecting in the games since its debut; It's normal misunderstanding sometimes, is confusing; principally when we got some SpinOFFs like Pac-Man Monsters in the middle =P... but we can enter more deeply in the subject later, if you want. =)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of Street Fighter X Tekken... I really want to see Mega Man vs. Pac-Man Round 2 in Smash so bad...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Do you have an android device? It's on there, too.
Unfortunately, no.

Question, though. Looking at the list of characters, there are some that I really want to see the artwork for, but I can't find them anywhere online. Is there any way to take in-game screenshots?

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Street Fighter X Tekken... I really want to see Mega Man vs. Pac-Man Round 2 in Smash so bad...
Just the idea of four of the big faces of gaming in one game fighting it out would be a huge selling point by itself. I hope Sakurai keeps that in mind.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Unfortunately, no.

Question, though. Looking at the list of characters, there are some that I really want to see the artwork for, but I can't find them anywhere online. Is there any way to take in-game screenshots?
If I have them, I can get a screenshot easy enough. If I've seen them from other players and what not, it's harder to get a screenshot of because they don't show up in my collection list unless I've actually owned them, and some are pretty rare and hard to get. Just let me know which ones you wanna see and if I see them, I'll try to remember to grab a screenshot.

I love how every one of these characters is in Smash as a playable fighter... except for Pac-Man and Toad.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I love how every one of these characters is in Smash as a playable fighter... except for Pac-Man and Toad.
very soon you will be able to make this sentence with "except for Toad" only. =P... but well, he's also in the game, anyway.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Okay; I finished my set of trophies; but first I apologize about not all the characters having good image quality... some was pretty hard to find, actually;

--some things I considered when making this
  • Sonic had 12 trophies in Brawl, so, I thought that 14 trophies in Smash4 for Pacster (and consequently the others 3rd party characters) wouldn't be that unlikely;
  • Most of the trophies are clearly from post-reboot era; but I tried to the best to make good representations from past games pre-reboot; which is also not impossible to happen, since Smash celebrates the story of the character in general; being reboot or not.
  • I didn't went too deep in the content of pre-reboot games, though (with exception of Patra from Pac-Man Party, since is a game pratically made to be linked with the reboot), for not confuse the minds of the players... I prefered explore things like the Pac-Bear or the hang glider for being both iconic from their respective games, and not having much to do with which Pac-Man design or incarnation, and could be refered at any time without confusion;
  • The Ghost Gang, the Galagas and Ms. Pac-Man would be supposed all sprites summoned by the S-Flag; being both the Galagas and the S-Flag already confirmed in Smash4, at least (yay);
  • Ms. Pac-Man, should be, supposed cited as a game in her trophy description, and not as a character; imo,.. but her presence would be obligatory; XD
  • Oh, the "Netherworld Army" would act both the role of stage hazard in a potential Maze stage and as Smash Run enemies, ... the Pac-Bear could be just a Smash Run enemy.
that's all, feedback would be nice, please; ^^

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Okay; I finished my set of trophies; but first I apologize about not all the characters having good image quality... some was pretty hard to find, actually;

--some things I considered when making this
  • Sonic had 12 trophies in Brawl, so, I thought that 14 trophies in Smash4 for Pacster (and consequently the others 3rd party characters) wouldn't be that unlikely;
  • Most of the trophies are clearly from post-reboot era; but I tried to the best to make good representations from past games pre-reboot; which is also not impossible to happen, since Smash celebrates the story of the character in general; being reboot or not.
  • I didn't went too deep in the content of pre-reboot games, though (with exception of Patra from Pac-Man Party, since is a game pratically made to be linked with the reboot), for not confuse the minds of the players... I prefered explore things like the Pac-Bear or the hang glider for being both iconic from their respective games, and not having much to do with which Pac-Man design or incarnation, and could be refered at any time without confusion;
  • The Ghost Gang, the Galagas and Ms. Pac-Man would be supposed all sprites summoned by the S-Flag; being both the Galagas and the S-Flag already confirmed in Smash4, at least (yay);
  • Ms. Pac-Man, should be, supposed cited as a game in her trophy description, and not as a character; imo,.. but her presence would be obligatory; XD
  • Oh, the "Netherworld Army" would act both the role of stage hazard in a potential Maze stage and as Smash Run enemies, ... the Pac-Bear could be just a Smash Run enemy.
that's all, feedback would be nice, please; ^^
Dude! DUDE! Once again, completely epic. These look fantastic and the references are great. There are actually a ton more trophies they could use for Pac-Man, so many in fact it's really hard to just pick a few, but I think you did a great job!

Also, just as a side reference, but Patra is in Pac-Man Monsters as well. :D

Top Bottom