• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac Man changes with the new update

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Will try to keep the thread updated throughout the day. Please give all observations (and hopefully we can prove them, or put them under the placebo effect)

PROVEN CHANGES
  1. Galaga grab startup is faster (tested by comparing 3DS to WiiU - by Valkyrie)
  2. No changes to damage of moves (tested in training mode - by LanceStern)
  3. Trampoline cannot be pocketed by Villager (CONFIRMED)

PLACEBO EFFECT?
  1. Pac-man moves faster
  2. Slightly less ending lag on upsmash and down smash

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Galaga Beam Grab has been considerably sped up in means of start-up.

Tested on unpatched 3DS-version and patched Wii U-version.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm pretty sure Side-B's max lengeth has been nerfed
I can actually confirm this.

Tested on Battlefield, and Pac-Man now stops at the edge of the platform at right side of stage - where before he used to go further enough to reach almost to being below the position where the CPU is by default in Training Mode.

Not a massive, perhaps a slight one.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I can actually confirm this.

Tested on Battlefield, and Pac-Man now stops at the edge of the platform at right side of stage - where before he used to go further enough to reach almost to being below the position where the CPU is by default in Training Mode.

Not a massive, perhaps a slight one.
Does it seem to kill earlier to you though? It might be placebo but I feel like it does.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Is it me or does Down Air's attacks now connect to each other more reliably? I'm not 100% sure about this, but if this is true, then now Pac's most garbage move is actually a bit more useful.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Does it seem to kill earlier to you though? It might be placebo but I feel like it does.
I can confirm it's not a place-bo effect!

Using full-charged Power Pellet (With Pac eating it at the end), I can trigger KO Lightnings and KO reliably Mario from his default position in Battlefield Omega at 100% as opposed to 109% (where the same would occur.)

Really happy to find about this, this move might not be such a garbage anymore with it's reward for how easy it is to block or ruin.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Is it me or does Down Air's attacks now connect to each other more reliably? I'm not 100% sure about this, but if this is true, then now Pac's most garbage move is actually a bit more useful.
Dunno if I can feel it. Slightly perhaps, but I think we need further testing.

I can confirm on the fly though that knockback has been buffed for D-Air, I can reliably kill Mario by 190% as opposed to 203%.

(No lightnings, I could check those percents if wanted)

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The bug with hydrant going through the level still works. :applejack:
I actually recorded all of Pac's launch powers and the like pre-patch. I can test em out and get details back, but not until late tomorrow night I work soon.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So basically, Pac got buffed overall if seem from all this?

It's a good day to be Pac-Main now.

I used Training Mode and the Complete Hitbox and Frame Rate Data Thread (keeping that there for future support and reference) for this, and I think I can (somewhat, I'm not 100% sure on this) confirm that Pac's Up Smash now K.O's Mario at an Omega Stage at 110% rather than 133%. It lightnings him at 112%.
Can confirm. 110% can kill now. (Dunno if DI:able, could someone try?)

Lightnings used to go off at 117%, but now is 112%.

EDIT: Tested out F-Smash for kicks to Mario again at default position in Battlefield Omega.

F-Smash can now kill and trigger lightnings at 90% as opposed to 97%.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Tested out F-Smash for kicks to Mario again at default position in Battlefield Omega.

F-Smash can now kill and trigger lightnings at 90% as opposed to 97%.
I thought F-Smash was more powerful as well... I was honestly just unsure if it was actually true or not because of me being myself.
The change to Pac overall does seem to be really good towards him though so far. The nerf to his Power Pellet is in fact slightly redundant considering his recovery is already pretty awesome, and his buffs are more focused towards his two main weaknesses - KO power, and his poor grab game.

Sadly though, the range of the grab hasn't been buffed though. The last 3 bars of his 'Galaxian Boss' grab still do nothing in terms of hitboxes. Such a shame. It was one of the very small amount of things that peeved me off about Pac-Man. :(

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I thought F-Smash was more powerful as well... I was honestly just unsure if it was actually true or not because of me being myself.
The change to Pac overall does seem to be really good towards him though so far. The nerf to his Power Pellet is in fact slightly redundant considering his recovery is already pretty awesome, and his buffs are more focused towards his two main weaknesses - KO power, and his poor grab game.

Sadly though, the range of the grab hasn't been buffed though. The last 3 bars of his 'Galaxian Boss' grab still do nothing in terms of hitboxes. Such a shame. It was one of the very small amount of things that peeved me off about Pac-Man. :(
Yeah, noticed that. But we have at least one more major weakness about the grab finally fixed, so this might be a slight open part in the stitches.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got anything with his fruits?
It seems to me like he throws the cherry and strawberry a bit farther, but I can't say for sure. The apple seems a little altered as well.

What I can 100% confirm is that the green melon has gravity now. Before it flew in a straight line, like a slower, deadlier version of the mango/orange, but now it slowly arcs up, then down, and bounces.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
What I can 100% confirm is that the green melon has gravity now. Before it flew in a straight line, like a slower, deadlier version of the mango/orange, but now it slowly arcs up, then down, and bounces.
Its always done that tho.

D-Air buffs are appreciated by seem pretty useless. I'm thankful for the Fsmash/Usmash buff.

Praise Samurai

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
What's this? Is this true? I'm I hearing that Pac-Man got buffed. :D

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I only got to mess with the patch for a few moments before I had to leave this morning, but the multiple hits don't drag people upwards at the least. FH Dair still won't connect full. I didn't get a chance to look at horizontal.

Trampoline bounces for opponents didn't change from what I saw. Hydrant's HP is still the same.

I can't 100% confirm this without hard data, but Fair's auto cancel window is still pretty late. SH Fair -> FF still gave me lag, but I didn't expect that to get touched really.

NO CHANGE ON GRAB (http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-patch-version-1-0-6-thread.398902/page-21#post-18994543 ; ; confirmed by @Thinkaman and @ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy below)

For the Dair knockback buff: is it base knockback buff, or a knockback growth buff? If the former, it should be even better at KO'ing Luma.

Edit: NO CHANGE ON FSMASH (http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-patch-version-1-0-6-thread.398902/page-22#post-18994864; @Thinkaman)

Edit2: saw a claim that Villager can no longer pocket trampoline. Confirmed

Edit3: Universal nerf in that characters can't perform smashes while holding items. Can someone confirm this for us? I didn't do it often, but it'd be good to note.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Anyone got anything with his fruits?
I don't know if it has always worked like this, but the Bonus Fruits always do the same amount of damage?? Like, when you use the Cherry it always do 4% and the Key, 15%. Was it so before, or am I a completely tickhead for not noticing? I tested this in normal mode (not training mode) and 10 consecutive Cherries did 40%, 10 consecutive Oranges did 80% and 10 consecutive Keys did 150%. So the fruits don't stale in terms of damage, or what? Anyone know if this has always been the case? (I don't know if the fruits's knockback gets staled though.) I also tested this: The Bonus Fruits can't stale each other? Is this new or has this existed before too?

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could answer all these questions!

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't know if it has always worked like this, but the Bonus Fruits always do the same amount of damage?? Like, when you use the Cherry it always do 4% and the Key, 15%. Was it so before, or am I a completely tickhead for not noticing? I tested this in normal mode (not training mode) and 10 consecutive Cherries did 40%, 10 consecutive Oranges did 80% and 10 consecutive Keys did 150%. So the fruits don't stale in terms of damage, or what? Anyone know if this has always been the case? (I don't know if the fruits's knockback gets staled though.) I also tested this: The Bonus Fruits can't stale each other? Is this new or has this existed before too?

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could answer all these questions!
Fruits have never staled.

xzx

Smash Lord
Fruits have never staled.
Thank you so much for answering!!
---
Btw, Villager can't Pocket PAC-MAN's Trampoline. Also, is it just me, or can't the Power Pellet's pellet string (the smaller dots that are white) be attacked anymore? Or has it always been like that? Or am I wrong?

BSP

Smash Legend
The smaller pellets in the chain never could be hit.

Villager not being able to pocket trampoline is big.

xzx

Smash Lord
IMO Down smash needed a buff. It could have been sped up, decreased in ending lag and stronger too. (Better, faster and stronger too!) I haven't noticed anything about down smash. Up-smash and f-smash got stronger, why not down smash too? Or has it been stronger? It's too weak imo...

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
I feel like his smash attacks have less cooldown and more knockback. Anyone can test this better?

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
um. I just compared grab from this patch to the previous patch and there was no difference. I also found that Usmash and Fsmash are unchanged.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
3DS blast zones are different so I don't know how valid this is
This being said, "feels" for changes don't help too much. I wouldn't be posting anything about power, startup, or cooldown changes unless you're doing side by side with an unpatched version (or unless you had hard %'s saved from 1.0.2 w.r.t. power) and an unpatched Wii U version specifically for noting KO %s.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I didn't notice a difference with the grab.

I have a friend with a WiiU that's unupdated. If no one can confirm this today then I'll try and get video evidence comparing the knockback and distances of moves

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
@Thinkaman confirmed that out grab startup is the same

@ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy confirmed that the endlag is lower.

I think the rest is just placebo, guys
Nvm about the ending lag. Did another side by side with someone helping me this time. The animation seems to be the only thing that differs slightly: the tractor beam looks like it goes back slightly faster, but the ending lag is unchanged from pre- to post-patch. Deceiving but still the same.

BSP

Smash Legend
Nvm about the ending lag. Did another side by side with someone helping me this time. The animation seems to be the only thing that differs slightly: the tractor beam looks like it goes back slightly faster, but the ending lag is unchanged from pre- to post-patch. Deceiving but still the same.
Can you try spotdodging during it?

Top Bottom