• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

T0MMY

Smash Master
Helping promote Smash events is what I do, I'll send you a PM and see what we can work out.
Feel free to drop by this thread whenever you'd like and let us know what's up.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I am interested in the Battle Bingo mode, if it is competitively viable I think I'll offer it up to the attendees during wednesday and see who wants to join in a tourney X^]

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm thinking Yoshi might be revealed as another "challenger" on smashbros.com, just because he has a game coming out soon ("Yoshi's Epic Yarn")

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was surprised to see that North America got Pikmin 3 last.
This time when I say "last" I don't just mean "after Japan" either. the NA release was after Japan, Europe, and even after Australia. I'm wondering why it came about a full month after the initial JPN release... does it have anything to do with Nintendo pushing back all the game launches to the end of the year? *shrug*
Either way, Pikmin 3 comes out in stores tomorrow! :D

DeliciousDave

Smash Cadet
Hello! I recently moved to Oregon from Colorado and was wondering if there was any Brawl scene at all?
I live in Beaverton. Well I do mainly just play brawl but I also play P:M and melee as well.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Welcome to the state of Oregon.
I've met a number of people who have moved from Colorado, all are very nice people.

The good news is there is a Brawl scene in Oregon, the bad news is there's been virtually no Brawl events in your city for years. So if you are interested in a local Brawl tournament you may have to really pester someone to run one for you, or take up the reigns and host your own tournament.
Each month there is a large monthly tournament featuring all three Smash Bros. games, there is a good spectrum of players to play with there, many newcomers, a handful of veterans, and a few players with a long history of tournament play. All are very helpful in getting you playing with others and taking the competition as far as you'd like to go, all the way to preparing for nationals if so desired.

More good news is that the surrounding Portland area has a good sized Melee scene and a number of Project:M players.
If you are interested in finding out when they meet in your area, you can find their melee-specific thread over here: http://smashboards.com/posts/15678550/

Hope to see you at events (check the links on the first post of this thread) and feel free to post your thoughts/questions here.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Masky!
Do you know MyRoboticClaw, the ZSS player from Reno?
We randomly met him at PRI last saturday and he said he moved to Seattle.
If there's ever a tourney up there he said he'd host us. There would most likely be scrumptious vegetarian food to lure you over X^D

T0MMY

Smash Master
Maybe we can work out a deal where one of us stays with Masky and the other stays with Claw. It's not like we're conjoined twins or something X^D

Pita

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys, any players near the Portland area interested in joining a little group I'm setting up with some friends? They're very new to the scene (Melee/PM), but show potential and seem to want to be more competitive. I would very much prefer to ease them into competitive play by not getting people who would royally kick their ass and would actually teach them stuff that I can't (I'm not even very good myself).

T0MMY

Smash Master
Most of the Melee players hang out on the Melee Facebook group, you'll probably find a good response there.
Remember, the competitive scene is... competitive. It's a lot of fun and the best way to improve, but also a lot of really good players! Hope it's not too intimidating, and easing them in is probably a good choice.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
I'm a Brawl player in Portland right now. I'm looking for people to smash with in the early afternoon possibly. You can text or call me 8012287211

T0MMY

Smash Master
Huge amount of Brawl players in Portland, someone get these fine players together and start having some fun!
If you guys can make it down to the Eugene tourney on the 31st that's a good place to start things out, we have a good spectrum of players, lots of newer players and a good amount of veterans. These have been happening the last saturday of every month, but no real plans for winter events, so they are limited.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Hey peoples, I am moving to Portland at the end of the month. Looking to make some friends and learn the area. :D I had posted in another thread before realizing there was a social thread. I play Brawl/Marvel and I'm down to learn Melee and P:M.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh, didn't notice your post here.
Brawl/Marvel/Melee/P:M is a good spread of games!

I think there's a good Melee and Marvel group up in Portland, so you should be good to go with that. There are a lot of Brawl players up there, but the city just needs a good person who can organize and take charge well enough to bring it all out.

Next big Smash Monthly is here:
http://smashboards.com/events/r3v0-7-reflex.2180/

This is the AiB tourney page:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=14305

Hope you can make it.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Oh, didn't notice your post here.
Brawl/Marvel/Melee/P:M is a good spread of games!

I think there's a good Melee and Marvel group up in Portland, so you should be good to go with that. There are a lot of Brawl players up there, but the city just needs a good person who can organize and take charge well enough to bring it all out.

Next big Smash Monthly is here:
http://smashboards.com/events/r3v0-7-reflex.2180/

This is the AiB tourney page:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=14305

Hope you can make it.
I helped get the FGC in Louisville started. I'm apart of the upstarting Kentucky Gaming Alliance, something my good friend and sparring partner Brandon "Staticalpha" Stewart got started. So if you need someone to help with organizing stuff, I could totally help out.

Thanks for all of the info Tommy! Looking forward to pressing buttons with you guys.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Very cool!
Hey, the community can use all the help it can get, and at the moment there could be plenty more people helping out.
I'm not too big with the MvC crowd, so maybe that'd be a good place to see if you could work your way into. And as far as Smash goes, I'll help you help out as much as I can :^)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh good, DDoS seems to have quelled.
Hope they had enough fun for a good long time.

Meanwhile, Peach confirmed for SSB4, omg!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks for all of the info Tommy! Looking forward to pressing buttons with you guys.
Oh, now I have a face to go along with the name "Exceladon City". It was nice meeting you up at Guardian Games. Thanks for playing friendlies with me after the tourney. :)

T0MMY

Smash Master
There's an organization called Think.play that does Smash tournaments, but those are mostly SSB64 from what I know (I never competed in them, I won enough gift certificates for stores around here to last me a while).
I think they have a website you can check up on, but it hasn't been updated in a long time and isn't particularly about Smash, mostly about games/game design.

I mostly organize events outside campus, Ranger (Garrett) has been wanting to do a Smash tourney at UO for a while, but he hasn't gotten back to me on the details.
Next tournament will have details as soon as 8-bit Ryan gets them to me.
Hope you enjoy your time in Eugene.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't think any of them have a smashboards account.
But Jonix said it would be at the same place as his Ultimate Showdown tourney.
2005 Marcola Rd, springfield, Or.

I'd have it posted on AiB, but that site is just not working very well lately, so, whatevz.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
Hey, I was wondering what the Smash scene is like in Portland? I've been playing Project M lately and would love to have actual humans to practice with. Playing agains AI gets stale after a while...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I hope with all that Luigi decorating your posts you play Luigi in Project: M. He's a lot of fun and one of my favorites.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
I hope with all that Luigi decorating your posts you play Luigi in Project: M. He's a lot of fun and one of my favorites.
Oh yeah, Luigi is awesome! I started playing him in Melee as a joke because he was so goofy until I realized I really loved how he played. I'm loving him in PM though, it's nice to have a few buffs to make him that much more viable. I just don't have anyone to really practice with that's why I'm trying to find people to practice with.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Luigi is surprisingly not a terrible character in Melee. When I first tried him out he was waaay too floaty for me. He's definitely goofy, and even more so in Brawl/Project: M because of the nose-pulling, among other things. XD

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh yeah, Luigi is awesome! I started playing him in Melee as a joke because he was so goofy until I realized I really loved how he played. I'm loving him in PM though, it's nice to have a few buffs to make him that much more viable. I just don't have anyone to really practice with that's why I'm trying to find people to practice with.
Portland is known for their Melee scene. I'm sure there's a few of them Melee players who are really into Project:M since the skills kind of pass over fairly easily.
And there are usually monthlies somewhere like Guardian Games, maybe something going on in Corvallis, but a lot of the bigger tournaments have been happening in Eugene which is a bit of a drive. How is P:M online? If it's not as bad as regular Brawl maybe we can set something up to play together.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
Portland is known for their Melee scene. I'm sure there's a few of them Melee players who are really into Project:M since the skills kind of pass over fairly easily.
And there are usually monthlies somewhere like Guardian Games, maybe something going on in Corvallis, but a lot of the bigger tournaments have been happening in Eugene which is a bit of a drive. How is P:M online? If it's not as bad as regular Brawl maybe we can set something up to play together.

Yeah I found the Portland Facebook group and got in touch with some guys there. There is going to be a tourney at Guardian Games on November 9th actually that I'm planning on going to. I haven't really been playing Melee as much but I'm loving PM, so I'll at least participate in the PM tourney. I'm not sure how PM is online, I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if you want to play sometime. What part of Oregon are you in?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Happy Halloween everyone!

I'm not sure how PM is online, I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if you want to play sometime. What part of Oregon are you in?
I'm in Eugene. I really don't like playing with lag (online/HD TVs), but I heard that the Project: M team fixed up some of the online issues. In what way, I don't know... the discussion was sort of vague on that topic. It would be cool if someone who knew more about Project: M could clarify that for us.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
There is going to be a tourney at Guardian Games on November 9th actually that I'm planning on going to.
I ended up going to that too. ^_^
It was nice meeting you and playing some Project: M. It's a shame that we had to leave early because t0mmy was doing quite well in the P:M brackets. It would have been cool if P:M was streamed, but apparently the internet there was terribad and the stream just wasn't worth it.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
I ended up going to that too. ^_^
It was nice meeting you and playing some Project: M. It's a shame that we had to leave early because t0mmy was doing quite well in the P:M brackets. It would have been cool if P:M was streamed, but apparently the internet there was terribad and the stream just wasn't worth it.

Yeah it was nice meeting you guys too. I'm glad that I got to play some Project M there, I wasn't sure they were actually going to get to it since the brackets were taking so long to get done! But I was happy with how I did in the PM bracket, I think I ended up in about 8th place. I wish that they would have been able to stream some of it. It would be nice to go back and watch some matches. Maybe someday Guardian Games will get decent internet :p

Top Bottom