• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Keet CO - Advance Wars' Andy for SSB4

Which series icon seems better to represent Advance Wars?

• Orange Star's insignia

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Advance War series' wrench

Votes: 94 86.2%

• Total voters

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Damn that writers a ****...fans of their works asked question about whether or not they'll get a follow up to a previous work, entitled little ****s.
Yeah... I just grabbed the first relevant article I can find. I just reread it and noticed the author is a tad condescending towards the fans.
That's what they all say. I'll believe it when there is an anouncement.
I suppose that is true, but they way I believe they worded it was interesting about it not taking away from the team. I wonder if they will try and reboot it similar to what FE did by reworking some of it's mechanics.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Oh man, I completely forgot about Andy. Yeah, I think he'd make an interesting character, whacking people with a giant wrench.

A long time ago I tried to picture how he'd play in Smash and I pictured him as a heavy character who was permanently riding around inside in a small tank with treads, like Bowser Jr. or Tron Bonne.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Oh man, I completely forgot about Andy. Yeah, I think he'd make an interesting character, whacking people with a giant wrench.

A long time ago I tried to picture how he'd play in Smash and I pictured him as a heavy character who was permanently riding around inside in a small tank with treads, like Bowser Jr. or Tron Bonne.
That's actually a pretty decent concept. Hell, you know what would be hilarious? If he was made a Jr clone. Going around in a Tank usually that transforms when using specials, it turns into an artillery for the cannonball, jet for the kart, releases a mech for the mechakoopa and then just turns into s water vessel or something and shoots up upwards for up-B.

I mean it wouldn't do the series justice, but it's an interesting idea.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I suppose that is true, but they way I believe they worded it was interesting about it not taking away from the team. I wonder if they will try and reboot it similar to what FE did by reworking some of it's mechanics.
Maybe it's because another company, Capcom, said similar things about Mega Man still being alive and I feel it may be similar here as well.

Also they tried redoing the mechanics in Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict with CO powers not being broken like it was in Dual Strike and having to charge the CO power by having the units attack in the zone area the CO unit is in. Of course people could not look past the new style and see the mechanics changed for the better rather than who can charge their Tag power first? Only Isabella/Catleia was considered a broken CO last time I heard (the final villain of that game was not useable in online mode and was purposely broken as a challenge in 1 player mode) compared to Colin, Hachi, Javier with more than one Com tower, Sensei, Kanbei and depending who you ask maybe also Sami as Infantry are very beloved unit in the series.

In a perfect world maybe a compilation of the "War is fun" style of the Wars World Trilogy and the mechanics of Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict would be an amazing game.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Maybe it's because another company, Capcom, said similar things about Mega Man still being alive and I feel it may be similar here as well.

Also they tried redoing the mechanics in Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict with CO powers not being broken like it was in Dual Strike and having to charge the CO power by having the units attack in the zone area the CO unit is in. Of course people could not look past the new style and see the mechanics changed for the better rather than who can charge their Tag power first? Only Isabella/Catleia was considered a broken CO last time I heard (the final villain of that game was not useable in online mode and was purposely broken as a challenge in 1 player mode) compared to Colin, Hachi, Javier with more than one Com tower, Sensei, Kanbei and depending who you ask maybe also Sami as Infantry are very beloved unit in the series.

In a perfect world maybe a compilation of the "War is fun" style of the Wars World Trilogy and the mechanics of Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict would be an amazing game.
All they need to do is release Advance Wars Sturm's Return. With all the COs from Dual Strike + Sturm playable in the War room, with some new COs as well, it would also help if they released an Advance Wars anime alongside it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't see it as being super comparable because MegaMan was getting games much more constantly in the last few years than AW has. Idk, maybe I just am not as cynical of what devs say. FE is definitely their cash cow and their main focus now, but who knows- They definitely know there's some (western) interest for it. If they do make another I hope it follows more of the brighter artstyle than the slightly grittier art style of the last release.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
The wars series... well... Isn't that popular in Japan and the FE franchise has gotten much more popular with Awakening and such. The wars series is still in Intelligent System's mind as they mentioned that Codename Steam wasn't taking anything away from the Advance War's team or something along those lines during their round table discussion last E3.
Wars is very popular and was brought here first and open the door for FE and FE was only able to blow up because people became aware of it since it was represented in smash and the same will be said for the wars franchise.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wars is very popular and was brought here first and open the door for FE and FE was only able to blow up because people became aware of it since it was represented in smash and the same will be said for the wars franchise.
Yes, I know. It was one of the reasons FE got localized along with Melee's inclusion of Marth & Roy. I believe we were talking about that a few pages previously. I also thing AW did a little better in the western market for the international games.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
May I be added as support? I really want to see advanced wars in smash outside of its assist.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of the Wars series, I don't know much about it, and I don't personally want an Advance Wars character either.

HOWEVER!

I'm a man who puts aside his personal feelings for what he believes is right. And I realize that Wars deserves a character a lot more than most franchises that don't have a character yet.

The Wars series has existed since the Famicom days and has 10 games under its belt! That's quite an accomplishment. More than I can say for Mother or F-Zero... yet they have characters. Why not Advance Wars?

So yes I think Advance Wars should get a representative in there.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
While I personally prefer the more combat appropriate Sami who's going to be in Project M soon, I wouldn't mind Andy joining the battle since most of the focus is on him than any other Orange Star member. The series had been around as long as Fire Emblem despite its sales being on the iffy side and it has so much history in terms of what it did for Nintendo. We ought to give the series credit for convincing Fire Emblem to be localized at the time (meaning that FE duo's Smash popularity had little to do with it) and the later games were redesigned to appeal to Westerners since it had more of a following there.

To make things quite frank, I would like to show my support for the wrench nut and for the Wars franchise to get the respect it deserves.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Original Famicom Wars came even before Fire Emblem.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Original Famicom Wars came even before Fire Emblem.
That may be true, but the sales of the GBA title Advance Wars is what led to games like Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones being bought to the West. Even this simple detail from DidYouKnowGaming surprised me since I've always thought it was mostly Smash that influenced the series to be localized.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
That may be true, but the sales of the GBA title Advance Wars is what led to games like Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones being bought to the West. Even this simple detail from DidYouKnowGaming surprised me since I've always thought it was mostly Smash that influenced the series to be localized.

The source of that was from Edge Magazine. Sadly the site is gone but hey look, a few years back I sent a Wayback Machine link to the host of WarsWorldNews about it if you want to see for yourself:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012...ne.co.uk/archives/2005/05/the_making_of_a.php

It even has scans from the magazine the article originally appeared in. I did a little playing around to see how early sketches of Sami, Max and Eagle looked, sorry for JPEG artifacts but that was the best I can do:

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I voted Andy in some of the computers I came across and Sami in others. Isaac for a favor in one computer only.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The source of that was from Edge Magazine. Sadly the site is gone but hey look, a few years back I sent a Wayback Machine link to the host of WarsWorldNews about it if you want to see for yourself:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012...ne.co.uk/archives/2005/05/the_making_of_a.php

It even has scans from the magazine the article originally appeared in. I did a little playing around to see how early sketches of Sami, Max and Eagle looked, sorry for JPEG artifacts but that was the best I can do:

I really like the games art style and would love to see it in Smash 4 especially with how fitting it is with the art direction of Smash 4.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Andy fought from within a mini tank like someone else mentioned then Sami could easily be an alt the same way Bowser Jr. has all the Koopalings as an alt.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
If Andy fought from within a mini tank like someone else mentioned then Sami could easily be an alt the same way Bowser Jr. has all the Koopalings as an alt.
I wouldn't like that as much, it worked for Bowser jr, as a side B this could work, but for the core moveset, no.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If he represents the series more so than just himself as a character they could easily work as alts from the get-go.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'd like to join the support group. I started playing the original Advance Wars several months ago and fell in love with the series.

If the idea of Andy having regular palette swaps is still up in the air, I think his Advance Wars 2 alts would be cool to see.

His alternate costume from Dual Strike would also be a nice addition.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I'd like to join the support group. I started playing the original Advance Wars several months ago and fell in love with the series.

If the idea of Andy having regular palette swaps is still up in the air, I think his Advance Wars 2 alts would be cool to see.

His alternate costume from Dual Strike would also be a nice addition.

Probably the palette swaps will reference other characters as well. Grey hair and dark blue clothes for Eagle, Light Blue clothes for Colin, Red hair and Green clothes for Jess, Blond hair and white clothes for Jake and some other characters referenced as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You guys can add me to the support list. AW is in dire need of a rep in Smash and Andy is just the guy to do that.

Also, would you happen to have a custom Andy stock icon that I can use?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You guys can add me to the support list. AW is in dire need of a rep in Smash and Andy is just the guy to do that.

Also, would you happen to have a custom Andy stock icon that I can use?
I'll add you right away!

We currently don't, but I could whip one up. Wouldn't be remotely as good of quality as the real deals, of course. :4feroy:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sure! Now that I got Roy back in Smash Bros, i'm really pushing to get Andy in Smash Bros. IDK what his chances are but Advance Wars is way overdue for a rep in Smash and Andy can have a really cool moveset.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
FE is most likely not getting any more reps. It was lucky to have even 1 DLC rep and that's because of Roy's massive popularity and him being requested by fans such as myself.

Paper Mario IDK but I personally think PM would have gotten in in like Brawl or Smash 4 if Sakurai really wanted him in. While I do want PM in, I want Andy more so than him.

Have faith in our oblivious CO. Were not going to gain anything by not doing anything. Head to the Smash Ballot and continue to support Handy Andy. List reasons to why he should be in the game like Advance Wars being an underrated series and the things Andy can bring to the table as a Smash Bros character.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I don't mean a new installment of FE or Mario RPG spinoff will get more reps of those but having new installments of those two and not AW will make Nintendo and the general public forget about AW to not vote in for an AW rep except for the (small fanbase of) diehard fans of AW.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Considering the most recent game in the franchise was Days of Ruin back in 2008, AW has become a largely dormant series. We essentially have it worse off than the Metroid fans do, the primary difference being that we're a much smaller fanbase.

I've essentially given up hope myself for Andy in SSB4, but I can hope that time will be good to the series, give us a new title somewhere down the road, and put us back up in the running for SSB5 instead.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah, honestly, it seems like AW has just been replaced by FE at this point, which sucks because they really played so differently. If FE continues to be a biennial series I just don't see Nintendo using AW for anything (even though they could maybe use it to fulfill the somewhat empty strategy game niche on the Wii U).

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Unless Andy can get a ton of support for the ballot, Krool/Wolf levels of support, his chances aren't looking good. The best chance I see us getting an Advance Wars character is either Sami adopting a few of Snake's moves (assuming he doesn't come back) or Sakurai adding in Olaf just because a bunch of casuals voted for Olaf the snowman, and he wants to give them Olaf, just not the one they wanted. Though Andy will be rated in the evening for rate the characters so head over there.

Top Bottom