• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Keet CO - Advance Wars' Andy for SSB4

Which series icon seems better to represent Advance Wars?

• Orange Star's insignia

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Advance War series' wrench

Votes: 94 86.2%

• Total voters

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I too would rather see Andy actually use the weapons and vehicles instead of sending little tanks and stuff to fight, since it would just look cooler if he had neat visual things like riding/driving a mini-Recon truck for his dash, or a sea vehicle for his swimming, using the Mech Inf's bazooka to fire at people, having a Neo Tank to fire a giant blast, etc.

The main problem I have with his specials being him being a summoner with the units are, as cool as it would be to have someone like that, that it might feel too much like Jr.'s Mechakoopa deploy copy/pasted to most of his specials since it would be a little dude walking around and such, though that's not to say he would actually be anywhere NEAR being a clone of Jr. Maybe if all the possible summons were tied to one singular special where charging the summoning cycles through all of them similar to Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, it'd be fine.

The other reason, and this is kinda minor comparatively, is that Andy's personal summons might be hard to distinguish from the Advance Wars AT's summons.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I too would rather see Andy actually use the weapons and vehicles instead of sending little tanks and stuff to fight, since it would just look cooler if he had neat visual things like riding/driving a mini-Recon truck for his dash, or a sea vehicle for his swimming, using the Mech Inf's bazooka to fire at people, having a Neo Tank to fire a giant blast, etc.
The thing about this kind of suggestion is that it all sounds good, but some of these animations last for only a second. IMO popping in and out of vehicles like this or just having them poof out of nowhere and disappear just as fast tends to look very clunky, and even worse can make hitboxes and hirtboxes extremely janky.

As for the 'not-so-clone' point, I get that there are similarities to a few moves, mechakoopa, gunman. That's where the challenge comes, making it different. There are plenty of unique things to be done with these 'summons'. Like a twist on the whole 'charge shot' mechanic where you put a artillery or rocket piece down, and rather than charge it yourself you get to wait for it to charge and have to protect it. Maybe a tank that's a twist on the mechakoopa where it won't turn at edges but instead can be reactivated with a second down-b to stop and fire.

I think that there's a lot that can be done with the whole 'item' and 'summon' thing, and it'd definitely be a way to make him stand out as much as possible.

Quillion

Smash Hero
How about Andy has only one summon move where he pulls out a unit?

And then everything else, he uses guns and his wrenches. I'm not so sure about the boat thing, but at least a mini helicopter could work as a recovery.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Intelligent system's most underrated series.
With all that smash did to push Fire Emblem in to the west with Melee on top of all the success of Awakening you'd think they would offer a similar treatment to Advance Wars.

I seriously want Andy's inclusion in smash and seeing the DLC poll of sorts I am coming back to smash boards in hopes this vision becomes a reality.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
How about Andy has only one summon move where he pulls out a unit?

And then everything else, he uses guns and his wrenches. I'm not so sure about the boat thing, but at least a mini helicopter could work as a recovery.
I mean, in the end the chances are I'd play him regardless. I guess I'm pushing my personal ideal playstyle since I find the idea of a character with lots of 'items' or 'hazards' really interesting, and Pacman is pretty good proof that it can work. I personally enjoy 'keep away' style characters and footsies and the like, so that gives me a bit of a bias.

Aesthetically, I do like the idea of him hoping into/on the the back of tanks and recons and such but incorporating them into his regular moveset too much would definitely look pretty meh. I think one of the hardest parts of incorporating Andy would be narrowing down what to actually do with him from his MASSIVE list of potential moves.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Intelligent system's most underrated series.
With all that smash did to push Fire Emblem in to the west with Melee on top of all the success of Awakening you'd think they would offer a similar treatment to Advance Wars.

I seriously want Andy's inclusion in smash and seeing the DLC poll of sorts I am coming back to smash boards in hopes this vision becomes a reality.
Advance Wars' success and popularity along with Marth & Roy being in Smash are what convinced Nintendo to finally localize Fire Emblem games to the west. Interesting how the tables have turned....

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Now Fire Emblem has it's second renaissance while the last main-series Advance Wars game was about 7 years ago, and even IT had to be a Club Nintendo-exclusive eShop game in its home country from getting the retail version canceled.

...Intelligent Systems pls, I know you're busy with Fire Emblem If, but when's ADVANCE WARS' big comeback game? ;_;

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I feel like rampaging through the FE character threads with this, asking for them to return their debt to the AW series.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Now Fire Emblem has it's second renaissance while the last main-series Advance Wars game was about 7 years ago, and even IT had to be a Club Nintendo-exclusive eShop game in its home country from getting the retail version canceled.

...Intelligent Systems pls, I know you're busy with Fire Emblem If, but when's ADVANCE WARS' big comeback game? ;_;
Advance Wars died with Days of Ruin.

Also, I think Orange Star's story pretty much ended with Dual Strike. What's left to do with that universe?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Also, I think Orange Star's story pretty much ended with Dual Strike. What's left to do with that universe?
Prequels? Explain how the countries became so divided/ready for war, there's a few back stories that could be explored, like Grit/Max. With this many characters there's surely room for some campaigns, ones that might not necessarily be connected to a main plot, side missions or something. With a new game I'd expect some changes to the 'next mission' formula of story telling from the game. Maybe even retcon, keep the characters going.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Simple, Sturm comes back, and it is revealed that the events to drain the land in dual strike were not to prolong Von Bolt's life, but to make Sturm more powerful then ever. Also there's a Sturm for smash 4 DLC thread too,http://smashboards.com/threads/sturm-meteor-smashing-commander-of-black-hole-for-dlc.386649/
That makes 3 Advance Wars character support threads.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I personally enjoyed Day of Ruin. That's the first one I played after all.

But I do think that it's art style should stay unique within the serie, though.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Requested this for y'all to use to spread the word. Got some character select icons for a few other AW characters too (Sami, Eagle and Grit).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd prefer Sami to be the Advance Wars rep.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd prefer Sami to be the Advance Wars rep.
Trust me, if AW was going to have reps I would 100% get Sami in there, but Andy is the main character really, and it'd be weird for the sole representative of a game to not be the main character. If there was even one additional character for AW though, I have no doubt Sami would get in, even before Sturm as the main villain.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Trust me, if AW was going to have reps I would 100% get Sami in there, but Andy is the main character really, and it'd be weird for the sole representative of a game to not be the main character. If there was even one additional character for AW though, I have no doubt Sami would get in, even before Sturm as the main villain.
I think the reason for more people wanting Sami in before Andy is that she could have a few similar moves to Snake, also there was that Sami project M leak. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Olaf got in, just solely because people requested him alot in the poll:awesome:

OrangeStarCO

Smash Rookie
NNID
quicktrip4
3DS FC
5215-0500-7582
Andy should use his wrenches to fight. As well, since he's a commander, he should also use the units to fight for him, since that's how he is. I just don't see it fitting him to use the weapons himself.
I don't understand why people would immediately suggest that Andy should be a Snake clone, but I'll take whatever I can get. I just want Andy in Smash more than anything else.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't find it disturbing, as Snake had a distinct moveset, but with mostly "generic" weapons. Aeon in SoulCalibur 5 borrowed moves from Kratos, and it was fine.

I seriously have doubt for a potential return of Snake. Even with the 3DS remake, he feel even "less Nintendo" than before. Sami is the best way to let the moveset live in Smash, even partially.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
That's the thing, though. If they just transplanted Snake's moves onto Andy or even Sami just to have a Konami-less Snake, then that's not bringing in a newcomer, that's just bringing a vet vet back with a new coat of paint. Advance Wars is unique enough with its world to not need to piggyback off of Snake's moves for a character just because "oh, both can use military weapons". Besides, there's a chance the moveset itself has to be tied to Snake specifically as part of the deal with Konami.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
That's the thing, though. If they just transplanted Snake's moves onto Andy or even Sami just to have a Konami-less Snake, then that's not bringing in a newcomer, that's just bringing a vet vet back with a new coat of paint. Advance Wars is unique enough with its world to not need to piggyback off of Snake's moves for a character just because "oh, both can use military weapons". Besides, there's a chance the moveset itself has to be tied to Snake specifically as part of the deal with Konami.
Personally I'm of the "take what we can get" camp. A clone is better than no rep at all.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Sami, even borrowing from Snake, would need her own moves anyway. I don't see her grabbing opponents like Snake did, and the Cypher is from MGS, so she need something else as the recovery. The Nikita and C3 Butterfly are also from MGS, so it's out.

On the other hand, I highly doubt that Konami have copyrights on mortars and bazooka.

There's ways of making her different while borrowing moves.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I doubt Sakurai would give Snake's moveset to another character, as a semi-clone, yeah, Sami can work, i would be happy if either makes it in, but i'll go for Andy.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So if there is trouble with Snake then his unique moveset is lost to history? I'm by no means implying that he shouldn't make it back or that he probably won't make it back or whatnot. But why the hell couldn't someone else take it?

On another note, my brief idea for an Andy moveset:

All tilts, aerials, smashes, jab and dash are just done with wrenches.

Grabs will be assisted by infantry units with a projectile follow up, mechs for a small explosive rocket on forward and back throws, regular infantry will just shoot a line to assist on down and up throws.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units), if at 3 stars he can use hyper repair (healing himself), if at 6 he'll use hyper upgrade (also healing and proving armour of some sort for the next few moves).

Side Special: Command ____: charges a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, going from recon up to super tank (traveling along the ground like a koopa, but not turning ad ledges). pressing B while it's in travel will cause it to fire, doing a small blast forward and then disappearing.

Up special: Battle copters: a pair of copters appear above Andy's head, if B is pressed again he'll garb onto them for a fairly controlled recovery (similar to Olimar and Villager), if not they just fly slightly upwards (platform level) and then forwards firing occasionally.

Down special: Artillery: places an artillery unit behind Andy that starts charging up for a projectile attack. This attack does and arc similar to Mii Gunners grenade, but slightly taller and shorter. If done in an smash input then the artillery will be replaced by rockets, that have a lower but longer, but also takes longer to charge up.

All units created by these attacks have health of varying strength, so can be destroyed. The idea would be to force an approach from the opponent and then start using Andy's attacks to build charge, then use specials again to cover for a small period while he's using his neutral for a heal/upgrade. I'm not a great artist so I'm sorry if some of the stuff I'm trying to say is hard to visualise.

EDIT: I also picture this moveset to be pretty easy to modify for other AW characters, simply changing the neutral B and how it charges to represent the character and upgrading the part of the kit that the character is known for. Sami would have excellent grab options, but less ability to force an approach with specials, which would then be covered when her CO power is charged giving her movement speed to get in for those grabs and followups. Grit might be campier, relying on specials for spacing but having limited kill options until CO power is charged. Sturm would be heavier and harder hitting to allow more opportunities to charge the CO power as a kill move, although incorporating all his other strengths would probably just leave him as OP as in the games.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So if there is trouble with Snake then his unique moveset is lost to history? I'm by no means implying that he shouldn't make it back or that he probably won't make it back or whatnot. But why the hell couldn't someone else take it?
For a move or two or similar tactics or playstyle, sure. But it seems insulting to a character and its series to make them a cheap skin of something. Especially when the series are pretty different. It'd be like taking Mario out for example and replacing him with Ryu because they both shoot fireballs and are in a fighting game. I think some people overreact about sharing a few moves or ideas behind moves, but I do think a 100% copy wouldn't be great.

Also great moveset.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
For a move or two or similar tactics or playstyle, sure. But it seems insulting to a character and its series to make them a cheap skin of something. Especially when the series are pretty different. It'd be like taking Mario out for example and replacing him with Ryu because they both shoot fireballs and are in a fighting game. I think some people overreact about sharing a few moves or ideas behind moves, but I do think a 100% copy wouldn't be great.

Also great moveset.
Good point, and Sami definitely has more to her than just 'could clone Snake'. I guess I'm just desperate for an AW character because that series was my jam on the gameboy.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Good point, and Sami definitely has more to her than just 'could clone Snake'. I guess I'm just desperate for an AW character because that series was my jam on the gameboy.
Sakurai looks for Unique characters you know so them being a possible clone of XYZ isn't always a good thing. It is better that advance wars has so much that is unique about it. It'd be nice to see it in Smash for how long its existed for, too.

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Alrighty, the OP is finally done!

So yeah guys, Advance Wars in Smash Bros. Whaddya say?
Andy is one of the 6 characters I want to see the most and he is one of the most deserving characters to get in and be added. Its surprising they have given so much representation to Fire Emblem but, none to the Wars franchise which is the other really big franchise made by Intelligent Systems. Andy is long overdue.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Andy is one of the 6 characters I want to see the most and he is one of the most deserving characters to get in and be added. Its surprising they have given so much representation to Fire Emblem but, none to the Wars franchise which is the other really big franchise made by Intelligent Systems. Andy is long overdue.
The wars series... well... Isn't that popular in Japan and the FE franchise has gotten much more popular with Awakening and such. The wars series is still in Intelligent System's mind as they mentioned that Codename Steam wasn't taking anything away from the Advance War's team or something along those lines during their round table discussion last E3.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Honestly, I doubt it will happen unless there's a lot of hidden support for the series in the smash ballot that I'm not seeing on media sites, or there are plans for an AW revamp in the works already. I'm not giving up on the characters, but the series as a whole is just unlikely without a giant push for it, either internally or externally.

Just please get me another AW game, imagine AW with just one or 2 balance patches and online multiplayer support...I'm drooling...

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Honestly, I doubt it will happen unless there's a lot of hidden support for the series in the smash ballot that I'm not seeing on media sites, or there are plans for an AW revamp in the works already. I'm not giving up on the characters, but the series as a whole is just unlikely without a giant push for it, either internally or externally.

Just please get me another AW game, imagine AW with just one or 2 balance patches and online multiplayer support...I'm drooling...
I feel like if AW continues as a series it will be thrown into Smash within the next few installments.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I'm rooting for Andy (and Sami) though I know that AW is sadly a dead series. I did my part in voting.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

One way we could get a rep is if all the casuals vote for Olaf the snowman, but instead Sakurai gives us the bearded one (Olaf from Advance Wars) instead.:awesome: I would actually laugh if that happened.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
That's what they all say. I'll believe it when there is an anouncement.

One way we could get a rep is if all the casuals vote for Olaf the snowman, but instead Sakurai gives us the bearded one (Olaf from Advance Wars) instead.:awesome: I would actually laugh if that happened.
I wonder how rich I will be if a new AW does come out with the GBA and Dual Strike cast and people new to the series and unfamiliar will see Olaf who is affiliated with snow powers and I get a penny every time someone says it is ripping off Frozen despite that the first game with Olaf came out in 2001. I would be richer than Colin and Sasha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom