• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on Smash 4 DLC in Japan Results

Nothing against the character herself. But you KNOW she would be a Diddy clone with different specials.
why is there any reason to believe that?
Just because they have the same body type does not mean she would be a clone. An entirely unique moveset can, and has been, thought of.

She certainly has the potential.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Princess Daisy higher than the supposedly super popular Toad?

Least he's higher than Waluigi.

Don't even get me started on Geno's placement.
Maybe she is getting that much support because they were salty about Rosalina's inclusion over her. :troll:

But I agree, Captain Toad would be the ideal choice over the likes of any spinoff fodder since he's the last important Mario character to be added IMO.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just because they have the same body type does not mean she would be a clone. An entirely unique moveset can, and has been, thought of.

At worst she would be a Wolf or Lucas styled Semi-clone, although most of her specials would have to be unique enough to put her in a class above that. Regardless, even real Melee style clones (like Roy or Falco) often have very different throw properties, meaning that there is almost 0 chance we would see "down throw up air nonsense" again.

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice

This is Sakurai we're talking about. She would be a clone especially given the limitations on adding characters. Remember that the roster is limited due to processing power of the 3ds.

Dixie would be just as cheap as Diddy. Clones in Sm4sh are more similar than ever before given the aforementioned limitations.

Last edited:
This is Sakurai we're talking about. .
what does this even mean?
She would be a clone especially given the limitations on adding characters. Remember that the roster is limited due to processing power of the 3ds.
so all dlc characters from now on are clones? mewtwo confirmed lucario clone

plus I don't think uniqueness changes processing power . . .

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
what does this even mean?

so all dlc characters from now on are clones? mewtwo confirmed lucario clone

plus I don't think uniqueness changes processing power . . .
The only two characters with similar models that are not clones are Ike and Marth.

Have you read what Sakurai says about clone characters?

Pit/Dark Pit
Lucina/Marth

The new clones in Sm4sh are more similar than ever. The new clones have the exact same throws as their clone counterparts.

Diddy and Dixie are much more similar than Mewto and Lucario. Mewto and Lucario will likely share some common mechanics but their body types are not basically identical like Diddy and Dixie's are.

And yes the more unique the move sets are the more memory and processing power is required. This is a basic principle of all videogames.

Last edited:
The only two characters with similar models that are not clones are Ike and Marth.
:4mario::4luigi:
body type does not make a clone
:4robinm::4shulk:have the same body type being human (hom=human. so shut it). it's everything else that makes a moveset bro.

K rool wouldn't be a bowser clone because they are both big reptiles. it doesn't make sense
Have you read what Sakurai says about clone characters?

Pit/Dark Pit
Lucina/Marth

The new clones in Sm4sh are more similar than ever. The new clones have the exact same throws as their clone counterparts.

Diddy and Dixie are much more similar than Mewto and Lucario. Mewto and Lucario will likely share some common mechanics but their body types are not basically identical like Diddy and Dixie's are.

And yes the more unique the move sets are the more memory and processing power is required. This is a basic principle of all videogames.
not what im saying. you are saying that because they are a DLC they will be a clone because the 3ds limits. therefore ANY character would become a clone.
you can't pick mewtwo to overcome 3ds limitations and force dixie to succumb to it

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
:4mario::4luigi:
body type does not make a clone
:4robinm::4shulk:have the same body type being human (hom=human. so shut it). it's everything else that makes a moveset bro.

K rool wouldn't be a bowser clone because they are both big reptiles. it doesn't make sense

not what im saying. you are saying that because they are a DLC they will be a clone because the 3ds limits. therefore ANY character would become a clone.
you can't pick mewtwo to overcome 3ds limitations and force dixie to succumb to it
1. Mario and Luigi are not new clones. They are not a reflection of Sakurai's recent tendency to make characters from the same franchise more similar than ever.

2. Shulk and Robin are both human but they cannot be clones because of the nature of their weapons.

3. K Rool does not have a similar body to bowser.

4. Dixie and Diddy are extremely similar both in their design and their mechanics. Obviously we are all speculating but given how Sakurai treated clone characters in Sm4sh it is more likely that he will continue that pattern. Dixie is fast like Diddy, small like Diddy, a monkey like Diddy, same shape as Diddy, so of course Salurai would make her a clone character. Should he? No. But would he? Yes.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This is Sakurai we're talking about. She would be a clone especially given the limitations on adding characters. Remember that the roster is limited due to processing power of the 3ds.

Dixie would be just as cheap as Diddy. Clones in Sm4sh are more similar than ever before given the aforementioned limitations.
You do realize the limitations were that they made costumes into new characters, right?

Dixie isn't a costume, she would be more "Luigi-fied" rather than a clone. Fox and Falco also show that the similarities between two characters doesn't mean they'll both be as good as the other one too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Daisy would be good as a Pwach alt, similar to Alph and the Koopalings. There's no other way she should be included, and since there has been a Daisy alt color for Peach since the betinning, I think it would be propper to call that alt Daisy. Amd be done with it.

King K.Rool getting so muchnlove is good news to. This means Japan wants King K.Rool back in the DKC series to most likely. And it seems that DK64 got a lot more love over there than in the West as well. So, I hope something happens out of that.

Impa being low is actually understandable, as Zelda is not even that loved in Japan. And they probably have played a trillion more Warriors games than we, so... Skyward Sword didn't exactly get good reception there either. So Impa even being there is good news. No Tetra, no Toon Zelda, no nobody. But Impa's there.

I also would like Roy back despite the overload of Fire Emblem characters. Pichu I also wouldn't mind at all! I am actually excited by the thought they could be back to. Young Link also definitely needs to be an alt to Toon Link. If Roy comes back as a clone however, I wouldn't mind Young Link as clone either. For the Melee clone veterans I'd say that the more the merrier really applies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Daisy would be good as a Pwach alt, similar to Alph and the Koopalings. There's no other way she should be included, and since there has been a Daisy alt color for Peach since the betinning, I think it would be propper to call that alt Daisy. Amd be done with it.
I don't know ... Daisy using turnips, Toads, hearts and floating would be weird.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know ... Daisy using turnips, Toads, hearts and floating would be weird.
She could use the desert spikey Mario enemies as turpins, something clever and else as Toad's replacement, flowers and as for floating? A flying carpent?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That can be an upcoming project. Going to do some more Miiverse translations next, so I'll start taking notes on what characters are talked about.
I think what would be the best would be to expand the research. 430 results is great. The only problem is when you look at K. Rool, who has 3% of the "votes," it only amounts to about 13 votes. 7 percent would be 30 votes. So there is potential for a huge margin of error. It would give us more reliable results to have, say, 1000 votes. It would be a lot of work though, and there is the risk of double counting if other users try to do the same research.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think what would be the best would be to expand the research. 430 results is great. The only problem is when you look at K. Rool, who has 3% of the "votes," it only amounts to about 13 votes. 7 percent would be 30 votes. So there is potential for a huge margin of error. It would give us more reliable results to have, say, 1000 votes. It would be a lot of work though, and there is the risk of double counting if other users try to do the same research.
I definitely agree with you. The results between version 2 and the one I published in the OP were very different because I was able to double the votes. The more unique users we can count, the more accurate the results will be. with the current method, I'm mainly picking up the more vocal crowd. Though, that is the crowd Nintendo will notice it may not accurately reflect everyone's true desire. Im thinking of working on a Google Doc/ Form that's multilingual and see if I can get help promoting it. That way we can track each characters popularity in each region and language. Google Form will allow us to create multiple pages and handle larges amounts of data.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm glad to see that Krystal has lots of support, but... no Bomberman?!? Really?!? I thought he had a huge fandom in Japan.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm glad to see that Krystal has lots of support, but... no Bomberman?!? Really?!? I thought he had a huge fandom in Japan.
Bomberman was mentioned a couple of times! other characters just eclipsed him。

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

King K.Rool getting so muchnlove is good news to. This means Japan wants King K.Rool back in the DKC series to most likely. And it seems that DK64 got a lot more love over there than in the West as well. So, I hope something happens out of that.

Impa being low is actually understandable, as Zelda is not even that loved in Japan. And they probably have played a trillion more Warriors games than we, so... Skyward Sword didn't exactly get good reception there either. So Impa even being there is good news. No Tetra, no Toon Zelda, no nobody. But Impa's there.

I also would like Roy back despite the overload of Fire Emblem characters. Pichu I also wouldn't mind at all! I am actually excited by the thought they could be back to. Young Link also definitely needs to be an alt to Toon Link. If Roy comes back as a clone however, I wouldn't mind Young Link as clone either. For the Melee clone veterans I'd say that the more the merrier really applies.
I'm a big Roy fan, and I would be 100% okay with Pichu coming back. That being said, it would be a little sad to get all of these characters back but still be without Ivysaur or Squirtle.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think with Dr Mario and Mewtwo's return, a lot of fans remember that Pichu was cut too from Melee to Brawl, which is why his popularity increased between ChronoBound's results and mine.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Well its nice to see Lucas got a lot of support, restores a little faith that he might be possible dlc. I can see it now, Lucas will become dlc and then they announce that Mother 3 will be coming to the virtual console, in a perfect world right?

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
What do the Miiverse Japanese users think? Having opinions from other sites is fine and all, but I feel Nintendo will look at the Miiverse community first and foremost.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm only really surprised to see Pichu's standing. He's behind all other veterans alright, but he's still ahead of every newcomer. Daisy is quite popular, I see. Being among the top 10 wanted newcomers is no joke. And I like it.

I take it Mallow is more popular than Geno there? (They do like their cute stuff.)

EDIT: Metal Mario is ahead of Impa, Knuckles and Belmont? :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm only really surprised to see Pichu's standing. He's behind all other veterans alright, but he's still ahead of every newcomer.
Well, he has cuteness factor that likely helps him.

It would be nice to see him back, though. He was the first and only actual Joke Character in the series, contrasting with Jigglypuff's Lethal Joke Character.

EDIT: Metal Mario is ahead of Impa, Knuckles and Belmont? :laugh:

:231:
Some Japanese fans interpret Metal Mario as a sort of rival to Mario. They like that sort of stuff.

Still, Metal Mario is already in the game (somewhat). Mario grabbing a Metal Box and you've got Metal Mario (for a limited time, though).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Metal Mario is playable in Mario Kart, which Japanese love. And Impa is playable in a Warriors game, which Japan have played a thousand more times than us before Hyrule Warriors. Again, her mention on this is a good thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Japan is big on Mario characters no matter how questionable they might be. That's something I even witnessed when looking for popularity over there a few years back.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is the order, characters grouped together are tied.

リュカ Lucas

ウルフ Wolf

スネーク Snake

アイスクライマー Ice Climber

ロイ Roy

ピチュー Pichu

キングクルール King K. Rool

クリスタル Crystal

リドリーRidley
ディクシー Dixie

ペーパーマリオ Paper Mario
カスタムロボ Custom Robo

デイジー姫 Daisy

ワドルディ Waddle Dee
ロビン Isaac
ゴエモン Goemon

天国 R. Heaven
ジバニャン Jibanyan
ジーノ Geno
いか娘 Inkling
アルル・ナジャ Arle Nadja

ロクマンゼロ Megaman Zero
リュウ Ryu
ボンバーマン Bomberman
フシギソウ Ivysaur
ゼニガメ Squirtle
クロノア Klonoa
クラッシュ・バンディクー Crash Bandicoot

キノピオ Toad
ワルキューレ Valkyrie
レオン Leon
ブラックシャドー Black Shadow
ビューティフルジョーViewtiful Joe
バンジョー&カズーイ Banjo and Kazooie
テイルズ Tales Character
ちびロボ Chibi Robo
ゾロアーク Zoroark
スカポン Sukapon
ジュカイン Sceptile
アシュリー Ashley

ワルイージ Waluigi
レイマン Rayman
ミカヤ Mikaya (FE)
マロ Maro (Super Mario RPG)
マグナ Magmun (Kid Icarus)
ベヨネッタ (Bayonetta)
ヒルダ姫 Princess Zelda
シャドウ・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shadow the Hedgehog
ザンギエフ Zangief (Street Fighter)
サーリャ Tharja(FE)
キャサリン Birdo
カメックス Blastoise
エンデ Pandora’s Tower character
ウェアホッグ Werehog (Sonic)
アイアイ AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
鷹丸 Takamaru
シレン Shiren

No Starfy.

Also a surprising lack of Mother characters (other than Lucas obv).
After Sakurai making Starfy basically unmarketable due looking next to nothing great and TOSE leaving the series on hiatus,, I'm not surprised. But who knows, he might just not have been caught.

However, Daisy, Bandanna Dee and Isaac are apparently beloved more than I thought in Japan. Also Goemon ranking high makes me a happy guy. Same for Klonoa, Arle Nadja and Valkyrie. Crash wouldn't be bad either.

Dixie is still a popular wis all over the world so there's that.

However, Toad being not that popular might really hurt his favourability in the future, I guess.

Sad face though on Lip and Prince Sable not being on the poll, were they included?

And the last one I'm unsure on, it's either "berumondoo" or "perumondoo" when not converted in to a name I'd recognize.
Sounds like Simon Belmont.

The Daisy love from both sides of the world makes me both surprised and happy at the same time. Also, kudos to Crash Bandicoot for staying strong despite his current situation with Activision.
Considering how Japanese frigging crazed about him back in old days (and persumably do still now), I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After Sakurai making Starfy basically unmarketable due looking next to nothing great and TOSE leaving the series on hiatus,, I'm not surprised. But who knows, he might just not have been caught.
Ehh, being in Smash in the first place makes you more marketable than any negative implementation in the game would hinder. He functioned the same way last time then got an international release, which didn't do terribly either.

And to be fair, Custom Robo was completely scrapped from Smash and hasn't received a game since 2006 iirc and still managed to place well on the list...

However, Toad being not that popular might really hurt his favourability in the future, I guess.
He's always ranked about there in Japan, they like the character a whole lot in general but don't request him for Smash too often. Possibly because they don't see him as overly feasible. Though it's not like Sakurai has given much evidence to expect his view is any different.

Sad face though on Lip and Prince Sable not being on the poll, were they included?
I think ATs are not being considered for the poll. That's why Sable isn't there. :p
Prince Sable is not a popular choice and no one ever said he was whether it be here or in Japan...

Not to mention Japan doesn't much care for retros. I mean Takamaru just barely placed, and he's the most popular one (excluding ICs).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A big impact? Probably not. Maybe some impact.

I mean Waluigi, Magnus, Ashley and Takamaru are still up there.

Don't go convincing yourself any ATs not on there actually have an abundance of popularity. If they did they'd still be there.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
As much as I'd love Krystal to be in the game as DLC I can't believe people remember Custom Robo! I thought I was the only one! <3 It was a highly underrated and underplayed game series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ehh, being in Smash in the first place makes you more marketable than any negative implementation in the game would hinder. He functioned the same way last time then got an international release, which didn't do terribly either.

And to be fair, Custom Robo was completely scrapped from Smash and hasn't received a game since 2006 iirc and still managed to place well on the list...
Fair enough. I guess one could say JPN-only games and overally easiness over trying to build it's marine platformer concept would play on that more.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I counted all characters that were mentioned. I don't think the Prince was mentioned; but characters like Ridley and Takamaru had a lot less support than I initially assumed (according to ChronoBound's research). I think having a predefined role in the game hurt most characters chances as DLC, but that's just a theory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom