• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on Smash 4 DLC in Japan Results

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I wrote a semi-sequel to ChronoBound's amazing thread about what characters are popular in Japan when it comes to Smash 4 DLC.

I wrote a huge write up on my blog.

Here's a summary of the data.

In general, I think the West is more supportive of DLC than Japan is. Essentially, Japan mainly wants cut characters back for DLC. Even Pichu dominates the top 10. Afterwards, King K. Rool is the highest requested character. Ridley, Chrom, Takamaru and Zoroark's popularity has fell for their inclusion in the game. Crystal is mentioned a lot, but I don't think her support is as feverish as it is abroad. Dixie, Paper Mario, Custom Robo are the next set of highly requested newcomers. Daisy, Waddle Dee, Isaac and Goemon are next, with Rhythm Heaven, Jibanyan, Geno, Inkling and Arle Nadja getting some regular requests.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Daisy love from both sides of the world makes me both surprised and happy at the same time. Also, kudos to Crash Bandicoot for staying strong despite his current situation with Activision.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Snake at number 3? Japan has good taste.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
People actually wanted Zangief.

Now that is interesting.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The unmarked characters on the left, going up from bottom:
Black Shadow
Roll-san (I assume Roll from Mega Man)
Metal Mario
And the last one I'm unsure on, it's either "berumondoo" or "perumondoo" when not converted in to a name I'd recognize.

Could you write out the results in order? It's kind of hard to read the text.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I'm very relieved to see that Lucas is requested in Japan, because I heard Mother 3 was very polarizing among Japanese fans.

Daisy not only beating out Waluigi, but Toad as well is also a pleasant surprise.

Also, I think "berumondoo" refers to a Belmont.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm very relieved to see that Lucas is requested in Japan, because I heard Mother 3 was very polarizing among Japanese fans.

Daisy not only beating out Waluigi, but Toad as well is also a pleasant surprise.

Also, I think "berumondoo" refers to a Belmont.
I've seen "Shimon Berumondo" before, so yeah, that's probably it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Thanks for doing a Japanese DLC poll. Some newcomer choices are interesting, although I'm not that surprised seeing cut vets have high popularity. I've always thought that Japan dislikes cuts, which is why characters like Mewtwo and Roy were popular requests there pre-Smash 4 (I think Doc even had some support, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious to know where you got the character data. I'm guessing maybe some Japanese image/text boards, as well as specific websites?

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
besides the characters I've requested, any japanese wanting adventure mode?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Glad to see the final product. For the most part, the results are satisfactory and still relatively close to what we want in the West.

Any chance you'd look into veteran popularity on Japanese sites as well? It'd be interesting to see whether all the people who say, for example, "Jigglypuff is BELOVED in Japan" are still accurate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If only three percent of people at most want the highest requested newcomer, can you really say any newcomers are that highly requested in Japan?

Anyway, this supports the results I found when looking for Japanese popularity way back when. Not the characters themselves, but the heavy lean towards veterans.

Krystal, Ridley, and Isaac having the popularity they do surprises me though. Especially Krystal.

Thanks for sharing the results nonetheless!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Glad to see the final product. For the most part, the results are satisfactory and still relatively close to what we want in the West.

Any chance you'd look into veteran popularity on Japanese sites as well? It'd be interesting to see whether all the people who say, for example, "Jigglypuff is BELOVED in Japan" are still accurate.
I second the notion. I'm interested in seeing how they reacted to the confirmed characters.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If only three percent of people at most want the highest requested newcomer, can you really say any newcomers are that highly requested in Japan?

Anyway, this supports the results I found when looking for Japanese popularity way back when. Not the characters themselves, but the heavy lean towards veterans.

Krystal, Ridley, and Isaac having the popularity they do surprises me though. Especially Krystal.

Thanks for sharing the results nonetheless!
To be honest, I expected Isaac to be lower than he was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm surprised Starfy isn't on there, even towards the end.

Nice to see Custom Robo is still alive and kicking with Japanese fans, we really need another game. :/

Also, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn , your article doesn't really touch on Isaac. Mind elaborating on Japanese opinion of him?

To be honest, I expected Isaac to be lower than he was.
People like to exaggerate Isaac's lack of Japanese popularity. That said, I also expected him to be a little lower.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Nice to see Custom Robo is still alive and kicking with Japanese fans, we really need another game. :/

Also, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn , your article doesn't really touch on Isaac. Mind elaborating on Japanese opinion of him?

People like to exaggerate Isaac's lack of Japanese popularity. That said, I also expected him to be a little lower.
Considering that some of the top names at the left are untranslated, some of them might be Starfy.

Bold Response: Agreed, but this is one of those things that is easier for me to find out for myself once I learn about it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the order, characters grouped together are tied.

リュカ Lucas

ウルフ Wolf

スネーク Snake

アイスクライマー Ice Climber

ロイ Roy

ピチュー Pichu

キングクルール King K. Rool

クリスタル Crystal

リドリーRidley
ディクシー Dixie

ペーパーマリオ Paper Mario
カスタムロボ Custom Robo

デイジー姫 Daisy

ワドルディ Waddle Dee
ロビン Isaac
ゴエモン Goemon

天国 R. Heaven
ジバニャン Jibanyan
ジーノ Geno
いか娘 Inkling
アルル・ナジャ Arle Nadja

ロクマンゼロ Megaman Zero
リュウ Ryu
ボンバーマン Bomberman
フシギソウ Ivysaur
ゼニガメ Squirtle
クロノア Klonoa
クラッシュ・バンディクー Crash Bandicoot

キノピオ Toad
ワルキューレ Valkyrie
レオン Leon
ブラックシャドー Black Shadow
ビューティフルジョーViewtiful Joe
バンジョー&カズーイ Banjo and Kazooie
テイルズ Tales Character
ちびロボ Chibi Robo
ゾロアーク Zoroark
スカポン Sukapon
ジュカイン Sceptile
アシュリー Ashley

ワルイージ Waluigi
レイマン Rayman
ミカヤ Mikaya (FE)
マロ Maro (Super Mario RPG)
マグナ Magmun (Kid Icarus)
ベヨネッタ (Bayonetta)
ヒルダ姫 Princess Zelda
シャドウ・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shadow the Hedgehog
ザンギエフ Zangief (Street Fighter)
サーリャ Tharja(FE)
キャサリン Birdo
カメックス Blastoise
エンデ Pandora’s Tower character
ウェアホッグ Werehog (Sonic)
アイアイ AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
鷹丸 Takamaru
シレン Shiren

No Starfy.

Also a surprising lack of Mother characters (other than Lucas obv).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Also, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn , your article doesn't really touch on Isaac. Mind elaborating on Japanese opinion of him
Ranked 6th for newcomers, next to Goemon and Waddle Dee. Comments about him were the same as in English; once popular series, was an AT that was dropped has potential to come back.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is the order, characters grouped together are tied.

リュカ Lucas

ウルフ Wolf

スネーク Snake

アイスクライマー Ice Climber

ロイ Roy

ピチュー Pichu

キングクルール King K. Rool

クリスタル Crystal

リドリーRidley
ディクシー Dixie

ペーパーマリオ Paper Mario
カスタムロボ Custom Robo

デイジー姫 Daisy

ワドルディ Waddle Dee
ロビン Isaac
ゴエモン Goemon

天国 R. Heaven
ジバニャン Jibanyan
ジーノ Geno
いか娘 Inkling
アルル・ナジャ Arle Nadja

ロクマンゼロ Megaman Zero
リュウ Ryu
ボンバーマン Bomberman
フシギソウ Ivysaur
ゼニガメ Squirtle
クロノア Klonoa
クラッシュ・バンディクー Crash Bandicoot

キノピオ Toad
ワルキューレ Valkyrie
レオン Leon
ブラックシャドー Black Shadow
ビューティフルジョーViewtiful Joe
バンジョー&カズーイ Banjo and Kazooie
テイルズ Tales Character
ちびロボ Chibi Robo
ゾロアーク Zoroark
スカポン Sukapon
ジュカイン Sceptile
アシュリー Ashley

ワルイージ Waluigi
レイマン Rayman
ミカヤ Mikaya (FE)
マロ Maro (Super Mario RPG)
マグナ Magmun (Kid Icarus)
ベヨネッタ (Bayonetta)
ヒルダ姫 Princess Zelda
シャドウ・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shadow the Hedgehog
ザンギエフ Zangief (Street Fighter)
サーリャ Tharja(FE)
キャサリン Birdo
カメックス Blastoise
エンデ Pandora’s Tower character
ウェアホッグ Werehog (Sonic)
アイアイ AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
鷹丸 Takamaru
シレン Shiren

No Starfy.

Also a surprising lack of Mother characters (other than Lucas obv).
That is surprising to see no Starfy. I would loved to see someone who does not use PSI in the Mother requested section via Jeff.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm not sure what "Princess Zelda" is supposed to be/mean on the results, though I'm a little surprised at the lack of Toon Zelda.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The top 10 contains 6 veterans. Interesting. Seems like they care more about veterans than actual newcomers.

Seeing Lucas, Wolf and Snake being the top 3 is great news. The top two making it to the game would be good enough for me, as it's all I want from DLC. Anything else would be cherries on top of a delicious cake.

Lucas and Wolf are the new Mewtwo. And it's quite obvious why.

Curiously, Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't really wanted, not even making it to the top 10, unlike Pichu.

Last edited:
lucas being on top doesnt surprise me.
neither does k rool

Krystal and ridley do however. I was always told ridley support was non existant in japan.

Daisy being that high is however the biggest surprise with how much they apparently love toad.
viewtuful joe support is amazing if strange.

Lol impa and shrek have the same percent.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see Wolf is doing excellently over there and that Bandana Dee is doing moderately well.
I want to say that I'm surprised by Daisy, but I'm kinda not. Toad is one of the most popular characters in Japan, but he doesn't receive a ton of requests for Smash due to the heavy pessimism over there with him being Peach's neutral special. I bet he would receive more requests if this pessimism didn't exist.
Also, you put Shrek on here but not DBZ Goku? For shame... we need the results for Miiverse's most wanted newcomer.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The fact that Daisy of all people had more requests than a more relevant character like Toad is surprising given his popularity. One would not want to think sbout the mount of salt her inclusion would cause if Captain Toad were to be ignored. *shudders*

But Shrek of all people beating Impa and being next door to Takamaru is laughable. And yes, most Dreamworks films like Shrek did have a Japanese dub despite proving to be more successful in the West. I still would have found Doraemon being on the list more believable considering the old Melee poll. :laugh:

Top Bottom