• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on Smash 4 DLC in Japan Results

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
But Shrek of all people beating Impa and being next door to Takamaru is laughable. And yes, most Dreamworks films like Shrek did have a Japanese dub despite proving to be more successful in the West. I still would have found Doraemon being on the list more believable considering the old Melee poll. :laugh:

Shrek appearing on that chart really made my day.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Thanks for doing a Japanese DLC poll. Some newcomer choices are interesting, although I'm not that surprised seeing cut vets have high popularity. I've always thought that Japan dislikes cuts, which is why characters like Mewtwo and Roy were popular requests there pre-Smash 4 (I think Doc even had some support, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious to know where you got the character data. I'm guessing maybe some Japanese image/text boards, as well as specific websites?
I got the data from a variety of websites. 2ch threads, Twitter, blogs, personal fan sites, and even looked into some Youtube videos. I spent about six hours collecting data, so I could try to be as accurate as possible. I'm not sure if it was completely wise for me to show the actual percentages -- but I figured with the explanations of what I saw would give the numerical data more meaning.

True, but I feel bad for the Impa/Knuckles fans knowing they lost to Shrek.
Where's Shrek? Are you talking about Shiren (シレン)?

I'm not sure what "Princess Zelda" is supposed to be/mean on the results, though I'm a little surprised at the lack of Toon Zelda.
One list that had "Princess Zelda" in it had the Link Between Worlds version of her. So I guess it means another Zelda.
Considering that some of the top names at the left are untranslated, some of them might be Starfy.

Bold Response: Agreed, but this is one of those things that is easier for me to find out for myself once I learn about it.
Sorry, I didn't bother to translate anyone that had 0.2 portion of the vote. Starfy was mentioned once or twice, that's it. Honestly, most characters who were subjected to AT roles were not seen as viable contenders for DLC.

Glad to see the final product. For the most part, the results are satisfactory and still relatively close to what we want in the West.

Any chance you'd look into veteran popularity on Japanese sites as well? It'd be interesting to see whether all the people who say, for example, "Jigglypuff is BELOVED in Japan" are still accurate.
That can be an upcoming project. Going to do some more Miiverse translations next, so I'll start taking notes on what characters are talked about.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Where's Shrek? Are you talking about Shiren (シレン)?
Damn, I finally realized that after getting a closer look at the text. It appears that he's yet another obscure third party character who at least made an appearance on the DS.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Damn, I finally realized that after getting a closer look at the text. It appears that he's yet another obscure third party character who at least made an appearance on the DS.
Okay, I'm glad I'm not crazy. I was going ogre the results, and I couldn't find him...Shrek doesn't have the same level of popularity in Japan as he does in the West. Ronald McDonald meme status here probably eclipses Shrek's meme status in the US.

Last edited:

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Good to see Shrek is wanted in Japan.

Lucas, Wolf and Snake being the top 3 is great to see.
Daisy, Roy and Pichu being popular, however, is facepalm-worthy.

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Daisy would be awesome, sadly I hate these doubled characters, and we all know if Daisy would be a peach clone, ill just stay with my alt costume for peach,its good to see the results from Japan

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
In terms of Zangief, am I the only one would love it if he got in? Not saying he would, but if he did that would be amazing.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Out of interest, does Tiki have any sort of representation in this poll?

Based on what I've seen of the Japanese Fire Emblem community, they love the ladies and Tiki seems like she'd be pretty popular with that crowd.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Out of interest, does Tiki have any sort of representation in this poll?

Based on what I've seen of the Japanese Fire Emblem community, they love the ladies and Tiki seems like she'd be pretty popular with that crowd.
Aside from Tharja, I don't see any other female FE characters on the poll, sadly.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Good to know that characters with less than 3% seem to be fairly decent choices, for the most part. I'd personally love to see Isaac and Viewtiful Joe as DLC characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I saw the WIP charts which means that this one doesn't surprise me much.

So, I'm just going to say that the first time I saw the WIP chart, mind blown....

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not surprising to see cut, kkr and ridley (which we know is very unlikely now) on top.

However, I always have heard back in speculation days that Paper Mario was kinda popular in JP, no sources was credible enough to consider this so I assumed it was unknown.

But this chart actually shows me that it was the truth.

I had in the Paper Mario thread a newcomer only chart (idk why this one isn't in the OP) that shows he would actually be the 5th and that's after Ridley which we know is like not going to happen most likely.

That is surprising for me. He's closing the top 5 in which it contains characters that I get why they are popular. I could describe this position as the middle between popular and not, but I always though he was in the not so popular palces.
And you also have another thing to consider, that's not even a good time for its series. Not only it's on hold, but the latest game bring major disappointement so technically, seeing these results now is really

Also, I kinda have to tell you that surprinsingly, it's similar in USA for him which is what made me surprised.

Well, at least I know now, thanks @ PushDustIn PushDustIn !

:)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Zangief is an odd choice.

Also, I'm surprised that Japan still cares for Crash Bandicoot. Sure, he was a monster success during the PS1 era, but after that it never made games that truly live up to said PS1 ear to not having a new game since 2008 (not counting mobile games).

And is there a clearer picture of the chart? It's kinda hard to read.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
~Uguuuuu Shrek-senpai. :love:

I'm glad to see that K. Rool and Dixie are doing well despite the false assumption that Donkey Kong isn't a popular brand in Japan. I don't know where that rumor got started, or why, but it's been permeating message boards ever since. Unfortunately, the lack of new DK content in SSB4 has done little to silence the haters. Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
once popular series, was an AT that was dropped has potential to come back.
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ALREADY

fanks doe :3

And he's not really ranked sixth though, is he? He's tied for eighth.

~Uguuuuu Shrek-senpai. :love:

I'm glad to see that K. Rool and Dixie are doing well despite the false assumption that Donkey Kong isn't a popular brand in Japan. I don't know where that rumor got started, or why, but it's been permeating message boards ever since. Unfortunately, the lack of new DK content in SSB4 has done little to silence the haters. Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.
There's no end to the false information spread about Japanese popularity.

At least this chart clears some things up.

Are there really that many DK haters though? Even if they don't advocate for K. Rool or Dixie, I see very few people who wouldn't be fine with DK getting another character.

He has a pretty badass design and an awesome looking club, not really a surprise.
Yeah but people hate generic swordsman. (At least his backstory isnt)

Why support captain muscles when you can support a literal goddess like viridi. Or powerhouses like medusa or hades.
so much more moveset potential and so much more interesting characters :dizzy:
hell even between the assist trophies

phosphora is cooler.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
He's not wielding a sword, it's a club.
That's what separates him from other Kid Icarus characters.
Magnus uses a Sword.
The "Magnus Club" is a copy of the sword made for Pit. The sword is often mistaken for a club due to it's size and Pit's variant of the weapon being a club, but it is referred to as a sword whenever mentioned in game by Pit and Magnus.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
At the risk of starting a debate, if we were to see any Kid Icarus character, I think Viridi would be the best and likeliest candidate.

Or Hades because Hades would be hilariously snarky in battle.

C'est moi~

Shame that there's no Tiki. I can see why Tharja would be pretty popular, though, even if she's a secondary character with no real plot importance.

We all know that being a primary character with importance to the story doesn't mean much if you're not cool and interesting enough. Never forget, brethren of Ylisse, our fallen Exalt.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
oh its good to see Geno getting some love in japan more than Toad but i think people did vote for daisy because they were mad about seeing rosalina getting in before her also why ridley is here he is already deconfirmed just like any assist trophy he doesnt have a chance to be DLC also any 2nd character from any company will never happen like knucels

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
oh its good to see Geno getting some love in japan more than Toad but i think people did vote for daisy because they were mad about seeing rosalina getting in before her also why ridley is here he is already deconfirmed just like any assist trophy he doesnt have a chance to be DLC also any 2nd character from any company will never happen like knucels
And do you think Geno has chances?

Also, use commas.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah but people hate generic swordsman. (At least his backstory isnt)

Why support captain muscles when you can support a literal goddess like viridi. Or powerhouses like medusa or hades.
so much more moveset potential and so much more interesting characters :dizzy:
hell even between the assist trophies

phosphora is cooler.
Personal preference for a new Kid Icarus Rep: Medusa > Hades > Viridi >>>>> Phosphora > Eggplant Wizard>>>>> A Random Mono Eye>>>>>>>Magnus.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nice to see lucas, olf and snake on the top.

And WTF HOW DID RIDLEY GET NUMBER 9

Im saying this for those who told me that japan dises ridley you LIARS ( top 10 are loved characters.)

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Why why why do people want Dixie??? She would be a Diddy clone with the same down throw up air nonsense.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Nothing against the character herself. But you KNOW she would be a Diddy clone with different specials.

Top Bottom