• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to sticky this in anticipation of Brawl release, but this will probably be unstuck sometime around the end of March/beginning of April.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I'm going to sticky this in anticipation of Brawl release, but this will probably be unstuck sometime around the end of March/beginning of April.
CaptainFalcon: "yessssssssssss:"

Thanks AlphaZealot.

Anyways, a little update- In case you didn't notice, we now have a video up and running for how to do the wii registration part. As far as that's going... 124 people have contacted us so far and I once again want to warn people that we may be having a cap for this first event even though we do want everyone to play. More important though... is to keep in mind that this is a live event. Our goal is to finish this by the end of two days. In fact, most people are only playing for one day. Whatever happens... we need to have a manageable bracket for day two and we need to make sure the results are done properly. In theory, we should be able to handle whatever size this first one's turnout is... but everything sounds better in theory world. We want to deliver on all of our promises and goals, so that we can slowly increase the size and possibly branch out to other ideas if necessary.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Join Requirements

Sooooooooooooo.....can anyone join? Or do you have to have some kind of accomplishment or be a pro or something of that affect (effect?). If anyone can join I would love to!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
forum name - felix45
brawl name - felix
brawl code - I dont have brawl yet lol
Please at least read the first sentance of this thread.

Sooooooooooooo.....can anyone join? Or do you have to have some kind of accomplishment or be a pro or something of that affect (effect?). If anyone can join I would love to!
Anyone can joinCurrently, anyone can join who owns a wii and obtains a copy of Brawl prior to the event. As soon as Brawl comes out we'll have details on the full registration process for each event. The trickiest part is simply adding our email as a contact. Then you're all set. There most likely will be a cap for this first event. So you should do the wii console address book thing now, so that when you get brawl you can actually register for the first event as soon as possible.

wangston

Smash Lord
My bad, I thought you guys would send me an email first after a registered. It never occurred that the email name would get bold once you accepted my email. Hahaha I'm such a noob. But in my defenses I have 3 pages of contacts and the SSBBonline was the last one. I'm good and I have already registered. Now my only problem is I can't make the time of the round robin unless it's after 10:00 when I get off work so is there any way I could be placed in a group that starts later.

bob9756

Smash Rookie
Sweet

Finlay found a tournament. lol but this will be the perfect to gain so (more) skills in smash, And make friends and rivals.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Im going to enter this, but i have a question, since it's online, there won't be anyone to watch the matches to varify who won and who lost, so what happens if someone loses and yet says they won the match while the other person who won the match is saying he/she won the match.....

is there any steps that you guys are taking to not let this happen

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Im going to enter this, but i have a question, since it's online, there won't be anyone to watch the matches to varify who won and who lost, so what happens if someone loses and yet says they won the match while the other person who won the match is saying he/she won the match.....

is there any steps that you guys are taking to not let this happen
The tournmanet has two portions... during the round robin, everyone is playing at the same time and thus match outcomes must be agreed upon for points to be awarded. The only way this system fails is if a majority of the entrants are being dishonest. How else though can you run an online EVENT (as opposed to a league).

We're counting on these factors to keep people honest:

1)You are getting to play a lot of different opponents regardless of your matche outcomes
2)You get points for confirmed losses
3)You don't get points for disputes
4)No matter what score you get, it goes towards an overall ladder to help you see who you matched up with.
5)This is part of the reason why we're asking for Wii Console Numbers via registering... if it is possible to have multiple brawl codes... you still can only have one wii console number =)

Bottom line... the whole point is to get a lot of people together and to play in one night. Find some friends and practice with them. Unless you're really really good, don't expect to qualify for the bracket that happens the next day.

As Master Sakurai said: "I was asked this time around to try and get Wi-Fi into the game and so certainly we've managed to get wireless battles so you can play with people in other places. But it's really a game in my mind that has been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much as the process that gets you there."

Online play for Brawl has a large number of obsticles that we will have to figure out how to deal with. Counter-picking for example... a simple process for in-person tournaments could prove to be a true pain in the butt for an online - Live Touranment. Do you understand that players each vote on a stage/items during with friends... even if a judge joins (which is the case for the bracket matches)... there's no way of ensuring that a legal stage and items settings is picked... and the kicker..... THERE"S NO WAY OF KNOWING WHO PICKED ILLEGAL SETTINGS!!!!

We need to be open minded and see what rules/guidelines should be followed for a whole array of situations.

But to answer your question... points may not be earned sadly, but for an event such as this to finish in two days or even a single one... we can't be reviewing every single dispute.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
awsome. i would like to have a brawl rival and a brother too. this tounraments will help me get better. cant wait to sign up

opiaboy

Smash Rookie
This sounds like an awesome way to introduce people to playing online, and having fun! I really want to join this! Here's a suggestion: since you can't exactly talk very well through the wii, maybe we could set up some kind of instant messaging channel via computer, so we can all talk to each other while we are gaming. Or we could use these forums, whatever seems better. Just a thought.

A few questions I have...

how many people are sincerely interested in joining?

Obviously, when so many people have gathered together for this kind of online community, there will be disputes and such, and they have already been mentioned. But since everyone is playing at the same time, what about people who say they will be playing, but then something comes up, and they are unable to participate? Or how about people being unavaliable because they are in a match? Will these matches be timed?

This looks like a cool opportunity to play, and I'm looking forward to it!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
This sounds like an awesome way to introduce people to playing online, and having fun! I really want to join this! Here's a suggestion: since you can't exactly talk very well through the wii, maybe we could set up some kind of instant messaging channel via computer, so we can all talk to each other while we are gaming. Or we could use these forums, whatever seems better. Just a thought.
I guess I have not really discussed this yet. We currently have very good connections with TeamSpeak. In fact, our server number is : 70.87.162.50:8788

If you go to... http://www.goteamspeak.com/ and downloads then "TeamSpeak 2 client" for free you can open up the program... go to quick connect and enter the server number: 70.87.162.50:8788

You can't register until one of our admins allows you to do so.

For those of you that don't know. With teamspeak you can voice chat and text chat. We have multiple channels so you can talk to a single person during a match or listen to a director such as myself explain rules is a large channel room. Clans can hang out in their own chat rooms and players can talk strategies in others. There's a couple others out there (ventrillo is the other biggest one I know about), but this is what we've been planning to use.

You will be encouraged to register the same username that you have on smashboards and you can change your "nickname" to match your brawl name. Sound awesome?

A few questions I have...

how many people are sincerely interested in joining?
Who has already added the email<--This is the best way to approximate it. I've had players PM me and tell me they will do this process when they get the game. Take into account players that haven't even thought of going online yet to find friends. That's the best answer I can give.

Obviously, when so many people have gathered together for this kind of online community, there will be disputes and such, and they have already been mentioned. But since everyone is playing at the same time, what about people who say they will be playing, but then something comes up, and they are unable to participate? Or how about people being unavaliable because they are in a match? Will these matches be timed?
You have 3 options when submitting your results:
1)Your Brawl Name if you won.
2)Your opponents Brawl name if they won.
3)no contest <--- if anything else happens, including no match is even played. In a perfect scenario, if a player did not show up for this event... every single opponent will have reported "no contest" while his/her results are blank since they never did anything... including result submission.

This looks like a cool opportunity to play, and I'm looking forward to it!
I'm glad you feel that way. Even if this tournament somehow flops... hopefully you at least found one player to practice with online.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Tournaments are expected to be at least Bi-Weekly, so even if players do not do so well the first time around, they can try again next time!

We also encourage people to sign up on our forums to participate in side competitions such as the Gyms as well as some cooperative competitions (i.e. Home Run Contest, etc...)

We will also have some other contests that feature other things outside of the game (i.e. Banner making and the such). We just recently launched our front end and it is looking really sharp. Stay tuned for some more information.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OK I registered my Wii. Take note my Wii's name is Foxhound17. Eternal Yoshi doesn't fit, so I'll have to register as my Wii name.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
One question: how many enemies should we battle in one match?

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Second post:

Also, is somebody from OBC recording the tournament?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
One question: how many enemies should we battle in one match?
Each match is a 1v1. You either create or join according to your schedule. But you don't have to play your matches in any official order.

Second post:

Also, is somebody from OBC recording the tournament?
The judges for the elimination bracket will record and upload hopefully all of those matches. If you wish to record your own matches, we will have an account for that which you can send us a video to for.

Um have you sent any wiimail recently? I recently unplugged my wii for transportation and I forgot to plug it in. I will be able to in a day or two.
Nope, there hasn't been a wii message in a while. Expect one later this week to have some important updates.

I think you should make it a requirment to have teamspeak and voice chat.... it would make things SO much easier...
We won't make it a requirement... but it's highly recommended. It will make match finding much much easier. Let's put it this way. If you aren't using it... even if it's just to find a player... you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

any other questions...?

lordgeek22

Smash Rookie
This may be a very noobish question but what is Teamspeak? I don't usually play many games online so I'm not quite sure what it is.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I think you should make it a requirment to have teamspeak and voice chat.... it would make things SO much easier...
That would be a good idea if everyone's Wii was next to their TV set. It would make things a hell of a lot easier to coordinate, but unfortunately thats not the case.

It is the prefered method of communication, but we will use the forum because we have to.

rx-007

Smash Apprentice
will we be able to use our Japanese versions? because i read somewhere that modded wii's might not be able to play the US version

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I don't think that the Japanese version is compatible with the N.A. version so that's probably a "No".

Even if it did work there's so many weird and unknown things that could happen I feel it would be safer to just get an English version of the game.

TheLetterJ

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been answered but what would happen if you are faced against an east coast person and you are from the west coast?

bigman40

Smash Master
Most likely this would not happen. We have only opened this to NA and Canada. You won't end up getting a match from across the world (at least I hope not).

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Sorry if this has been answered but what would happen if you are faced against an east coast person and you are from the west coast?
We're still wiating to see what kind of lag we will face. All that talk about US not prepared yet for Brawl since the game is not out yet. We can't assume that players currently playing the japaneses version is the type of lag we will be facing.

Either way, if it becomes necessary we wil split up the tournaments series into a couple different areas and sadly not be able to have one large one.

Players are encouraged to do whatever they can do have the best connection possible. I want everyone to know that in my Mario Stirkers Caareer I have experienced only a handful of matches that were unplayable. Lag is something we'll also have to accept with online play. It happens to the best of us... and it happens equally to both players.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
..Sorry, I am almost positive its been said but when is this being held? Around launch or are we gonna let the people unlock everything so people who care won't get spoiled by spoilers?

Top Bottom