• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well they could always assign different flowers to people... P1: Bloomed Flower P2: Bud P3: Leaf P4: nothing.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Awesome! An Olimar thread that does not suck utterly. The best Nintendo character OF ALL TIME (yes, you heard correctly) deserves nothing less. Well done Egruntz.

Here's a question I've been struggling with lately: if more than one player is using Olimar, how do you know which Pikmin belongs to whom? Will players be forced to use a single coloured Pikmin based on their costume colour, or will can any Pikmin simply be tossed/ordered by any Olimar in the battle?
Well they could always assign different flowers to people... P1: Bloomed Flower P2: Bud P3: Leaf P4: nothing.
That's actually a good point.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Or they could just bypass the different colors thing, I guess...do the whole different ears/eyes/bodies/etc. thing, but they are all the same color (the color of your character).

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
but that takes away from the unique traits Pikmin could have. definetely what lego stated, give them a different "top of their head". maybe player four can have all 3 while the rest only have one

the grim lizard

Smash Master
but that takes away from the unique traits Pikmin could have. definetely what lego stated, give them a different "top of their head". maybe player four can have all 3 while the rest only have one
No, they'd still have unique traits, and they'd look different, but their colors wouldn't be different within each character set. I'm saying it's a possibility. I'd think the tops of of the Pikmin being the only distinguishing characteristic would be about as helpful as no differences at all...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
still, the uniqe trait Pikmin have is based on their color, and having them all stay one color takes that unique trait away.

maybe only Olimar will change, and you can tell by his antennae (or however you spell that). when he changes color, so does his little bulb on the top, and it can be bright and big enough for people to see

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Yeah, colours are a crucial element the gameplay of the Pikmin. Each Pikmin type is classified by their colour so the player can tell them apart at a glance. It wouldn't be true to the sourse material to change their colours.

I'm tempted to suggest that the fourth player could have Pikmin infected with red spray (with glowing tops) but that seems like ideal choice for Olimar's Final Smash.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Louie is better than Olimar. >=[

In all seriousness, Olimar would be a decent addition to the Brawl roster.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Everyone go to the elimination thread around 4pm (est) and vote for Olimar. He needs to make it to the later rounds!

Or maybe the Pikmin also change colour with each pallet swap.
Yeah, maybe that.

Problem I see with the buds is that means only four choices, all of which are hardly different from one another. I don't think it matters whose Pikmin are whose. Better yet...let your whistle work on and free Pikmin so that if your opponent (also Olimar) loses one (that is not following him anymore), you can take it for free. I think this is a much better option and more true to the game perhaps.

By the way, though, I think all Pikmin as the same color is the next viable option (just like in 2P mode in Pikmin 2).

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I decided to come to see this magical moveset that would make Olimar playable. And after taking the time to read, and boy did you go into detail, I'm going to start off by saying this:

This a fighting game. Those moves are so ridiculously slow (the B moves) that Olimar would never get anything done. Awful. Just awful.

I understand the guy is popular. And that is all well and good. That's why he'll make a great asst trophy. But those moves aren't realistic. Too complex and too slow. He hasn't been in any other games, like Mario Party or a Mario sports game, so maybe that tells you something right there.

Asst trophy for sure, but no way as a playable character. Maybe even a stage, why not.

Edit: And seeing what is being argued above this post, it proves my point more that he is unmakable.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to come to see this magical moveset that would make Olimar playable. And after taking the time to read, and boy did you go into detail, I'm going to start off by saying this:

This a fighting game. Those moves are so ridiculous slow (the B moves) that Olimar would never get anything done. Awful. Just awful.

I understand the guy is popular. And that is all well and good. That's why he'll make a great asst trophy. But those moves aren't realistic. Too complex and too slow. He hasn't been in any other games, like Mario Party or a Mario sports game, so maybe that tells you something right there.

Asst trophy for sure, but no way as a playable character. Maybe even a stage, why not.
Neither has Samus or half the roster...and you know why? Because they aren't Mario characters...

Olimer is like, Miyamoto's favorite creations practically...He's getting in

You don't know that. Biases aside, he has a decent chance of becoming a playable character. And you should know better than to base such conclusions on a moveset invented by a random member as opposed to Sakurai himself.

Anyway, I posted this in the old thread, but I still like it better than what's on the first page. This is my concept for Olimar's special moves:

Standard Special <Rocket Punch>: Olimar winds up his arm and then fires it forward. It stretches to twice its length and strikes with incredible power. The entire attack lasts about as long as a Home-Run Bat smash attack, and has similar range but less power. Strength is still equal to Captain Falcon’s standard special.
Side Special <Pikmin Attack>: A Pikmin is tossed forward. Pikmin limit is always 100 (attack does nothing if there are too many out), even between different players using Olimar. Pikmin run on the ground and leap at nearby characters. They latch on sometimes and begin doing damage. They can be shaken off easily by moving left to right quickly. They can also be killed with any type of attack, and disappear naturally after ten seconds. While attached, they pummel foes for damage. Each color has a different effect:
• Red: Causes burn damage, and inflicts more damage with each hit.
• Yellow: Causes electrical damage. Flies the farthest as well. One in twenty yellow Pikmin hold bomb-rocks that detonate when they hit someone.
• Blue: Freezes opponent’s briefly when contact is made.
• Purple: Slow moving, but inflicts more damage. A direct hit will also stun opponents as if their shield broke.
• White Pikmin: Causes lasting poison damage with contact. Moves fastest.
Up Special <Bumbling Snitchbug>: A Bumbling Snitchbug appears and grabs Olimar. It carries him up a short distance, and then holds him at that height. Now the snitchbug can be controlled to move left or right, but not up or down. It will drop Olimar and disappear after a second or two.
Down Special <Ultra-Bitter Spray>: An attack similar to the Ice Climber’s down special. It also has the chance to petrify them. A petrified enemy is rendered immobile, similar to being frozen, and can be broken out of. This move has a greater chance of petrifying the closer the target is and the higher their damage percentage is. The petrifaction also lasts longer the more damage they have taken.
Final Smash <Pikmin Party>: Olimar blows his whistle and all active Pikmin disappear. The Red, Yellow and Blue Onions, as well as the Ship, fly down from the top of the screen and release twenty of each color Pikmin. They attack nearby players all at once. They have the same effects as Pikmin used by the side special attack (including 100-Pikmin limit).

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
You don't know that. Biases aside, he has a decent chance of becoming a playable character. And you should know better than to base such conclusions on a moveset invented by a random member as opposed to Sakurai himself.
Well there are a ton of you, I would assume your combined brainpower could think of a good move set. If this many supporters can't, that might tell you something.

And to whoever said that Pikmin is Miyamoto's fav char, I want proof. 10 to 1 says its Link, or probably Mario.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Miyamoto actually really likes his Pikmin series.

And er... I consider Vali's move set to be pretty good... also I just completed the level with Olimar's ship in it!

Qbuilderz

Smash Journeyman
for the colors couldn't it just have different flower colors?

white - firts
red - 2nd
blue - 3rd
yellow - 4th

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice

This a fighting game. Those moves are so ridiculously slow (the B moves) that Olimar would never get anything done. Awful. Just awful.

Edit: And seeing what is being argued above this post, it proves my point more that he is unmakable.

YOU FAIL!!!!!!! FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME... WE DON'T GO ON A RIDLEY OR GENO THREAD AND THEY SHOULD BE AN ASSIST TROPHY GASH!!!

as for the mario game/sports games.... YOU FAIL heres a list of "whys" Samus, c falcon, link, zelda, ike, pit, ics, lucas, and fox. just because you dont like him it doesnt mean you should be so self ricous that you belive a unique moveset is bad...

you fail, you fail, you fail, you fail, and of course....... Y------O--------U FAIL

With much, you-fail-dom
Danbearking0

P.S. YOU FAIL

Legolastom

Smash Hero
1. We DON'T care what 1 Olimar hater thinks of the move set. We DO care what the majority of people of smash boards (Or the more respectable) think of it.

2. The fact that you used him not appearing in any Mario games as a point against him proves your ignorance.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Would Olimar be considered a WTF Character? I think so, he would be really unique.
Probably not, although he would be very unique a WTF character is one that isn't expected to be in the game and is a complete suprise E.G. Ness in the first smash and Game & Watch in Melee. Olimar is very well known and pretty much expected to be in the game by most at this point.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Would Olimar be considered a WTF Character? I think so, he would be really unique.
Well, Olimar's chances are high, but his uniqueness as a playable character is definitely WTF, because from what I've seen, his moveset will most likely be difficult to master (Game and Watch anyone?)

Well I'm just not liking this idea of Pikmin following him everywhere at all times. He should only have them when using a special move. His gloves and lightbulb can change colors for his alternate costumes.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Given that ther has been a lot of confusion on the part of Olimar's moveset, I now present my take on his special moves:

B: Pikommand
Gets the whistle and you can then point in any direction, and when you choose a direction, he blows it. The Pikmin will then move in that direction and attack whatever they run in to.

Side B: Hurl-a-Pik
same as the one in the first post.

Down B: Plant-a-Pik
Puts a Pikmin in the ground. He will pop up and attack if someone goes near it, or he will automatically come up and follow Olimar after 10 seconds.

Up B: Dolphin Rocket
Same as the 1st post.

Well since when does Olimar have a portable rocket? There are things he does have or could use that work as recovery moves, like my Bumbling Snitchbug idea. And nobody is even touching the sprays he uses.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Well since when does Olimar have a portable rocket? There are things he does have or could use that work as recovery moves, like my Bumbling Snitchbug idea. And nobody is even touching the sprays he uses.
Well, I haven't played any of the Pikmin games and I really don't know that much about it, so don't go flaming me.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
I think I have (possibly) solved the "what if the Pikmin die?" conundrum. Every night, if Olimar has Pikmin left, he and his Pikmin then spend the night in the Dolphin. So if they can spend the evenings there, why not all the time? Louie could fly above the battle in the Dolphin at all times, and if Pikmin fall off the edge or are defeated somehow, a new one of the same color could just come sliding down the legs of the ship (I'm assuming these are the "Onions", it's been a while since I've played the game).

Now, this would require editing some suggested movesets. The Up B could still use the Dolphin, by pulling Olimar up with the beam thing, and then you control the Dolphin, shakily, as suggested, until after about 5 seconds until it grows weary, and a few pieces fly out and damage the players on the ground. (So basically I just restated the original idea, but instead of being in the actual ship, you're held by the beam.) Just to be clear, the beam would lower quickly, pull Olimar up slowly, but he'd be invincible in the beam, but he's not there long, so it's not like it's a cheap move. You can also let go of Up B and choose to drop back into battle before the Dolphin has it's mini-explosion.

The Pikmin being dropped onto the stage by the Dolphin also gets rid of the necessity to pluck them from the ground. So for the Down B, the Yellow Pikmin could throw a bomb-rock at the opposition.

Then for Final Smash, Olimar and the Pikmin are brought into the ship, then the stage gets dark, and one Bulbourb per opposing player comes out of the ground next to them, and quickly grabs hold of them and whips them around like a dog with a chew toy, doing damage (obviously), tossing them in the air and then catching them in their mouths again, and eventually lets go of them with considerable knockback.

(Wow, I am very lengthy in my wording)

Edit: What's your Bumbling Snitchbug idea? And the spray? I haven't played in a while, as previously stated.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
bumbiling snitchbug is the annoying thing that steals your pikmen and plants then in the ground.. he flys
heres a pretty picture
--------------------------
----()-oo-()---------------------
------[---]----------------------
------[__]----------------------
-----]-----[----------------------
-----]-----[---------------------
awwww hes cute

as for the sprays, he sprays his pikmen or creatures with berry juice( on is spicy the other is bitter) the bitter one turns creatures into stone. the spicy one is an overdosage of caffine.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I don't like the sprays as part of his moveset other than FS. His FS, he could petrify everyone and all of his Pikmin would be powered up. I'd like that better. I'm still mixed on the ^B thing...I'm not sure I like the snitchbug thing. Doesn't seem like something he could summon at will...

Edit: What's your Bumbling Snitchbug idea? And the spray? I haven't played in a while, as previously stated.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3295404&postcount=135

It is quite annoying in the games, but a lot better than making up some random rocket or bringing in the whole ship just for a recovery.

I don't like the sprays as part of his moveset other than FS. His FS, he could petrify everyone and all of his Pikmin would be powered up. I'd like that better. I'm still mixed on the ^B thing...I'm not sure I like the snitchbug thing. Doesn't seem like something he could summon at will...
Well I mean it would come and snatch him against his will as it does in the games, even though for the purposes of the game it's obviously beneficial.

Florida

イーグランツ
egrutz, add to the common arguments "PT clone" and "too complex to implement"
Pokémon Trainer clone? ... what the hell? XD
That's more lame than Peach; I'll just add that with the Peach clone argument then.

And "Too complex to implement,". Got it.
Though, throw me some counters that you guys have came up with =P
It's not just me talking here.

(sorry if they've been stated in the thread before, I can't find the interest to look back ;o)

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Pokémon Trainer clone? ... what the hell? XD
That's more lame than Peach; I'll just add that with the Peach clone argument then.

And "Too complex to implement,". Got it.
Though, throw me some counters that you guys have came up with =P
It's not just me talking here.

(sorry if they've been stated in the thread before, I can't find the interest to look back ;o)

how about that people thought that characters like PT and Ice climbers would never work but look whose in the game

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Since I asked this on the other olimar thread I'll ask it here. Do you think emporer bulbax could be a SE boss?
(wow, late quote) No, Bulbax has become more of a random enemy you'll find in sublevel complexes in Pikmin 2. The main boss is the Titan Dweevil, aka Louie on top of a giant bug. Which brings up the great off-topic question: Is Louie really a good guy? He caused Olimar to go back to Earth, and he possibly controlled Titan Dweevil.

Anyways, I've got a great statement people probably will use to disprove Olimar that you can counter, egruntz. "olimar cant be in brawl!!!!11111oneshift!!!!!!!
"he dosnt hav eny atacks win thers no pikmen"

aka,
He doesn't have any attacks without his Pikmin out.

Of course, they obviously have not played Pikmin 2 before when saying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom