• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear lord, Overswarm has been given a trial by the gods

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I feel you on that, but after getting knocked out of every tourney by two mks pretty much its time for a change. When theres money at stake you have to do what you have to do to get an advantage.
If everyone felt that way, tournaments would literally be nothing but MK dittos.

Can we ban the ****er yet please?

chckn

Smash Ace
If everyone felt that way, tournaments would literally be nothing but MK dittos.

Can we ban the ****er yet please?
ugh I wish, but banning a character is a BIG deal. Plus most tournaments would just disregard the ban. In the end its up to the TO's descision and if the TO mains mk you can bet mk will probably not be banned.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Where would the fun be then? I certainly don't take pride in winning because I'm using the best character, what's the point? I get the best feelings when I actually beat a good MK with Diddy in Brawl. I feel as though I've humiliated them, which is what all MK users deserve to feel.

And have you actually ever used MK? He's absurdly easy and boring to use. I derive no pleasure in pulling off any kills/combos/techniques with him. I despise him the most, but truthfully I've actually gotten used to playing against him. I play so many MKs that my goal is now to beat a notable one in tourny. I can do it with Diddy, he stands somewhat of a chance.
I play to win in tournaments.

If I wanted to play for fun, I'd main random.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I feel you on that, but after getting knocked out of every tourney by two mks pretty much its time for a change. When theres money at stake you have to do what you have to do to get an advantage.
True, just like when a former famous actor sells out and does commercials. I'd imagine deep down the MK users feel the same way as them, "I can't make money because I don't have talent, so let me take the guaranteed road to success even though everyone will lose respect for me".

chckn

Smash Ace
True, just like when a former famous actor sells out and does commercials. I'd imagine deep down the MK users feel the same way as them.

Yeah they feel the same way as them but they get paid. Competitive gaming isn't about fun its about winning and doing what is nescessary to win. I won't go mk yet just b/c I literally have never used him, and I'm fairly comfortable with snake already. If I am still at too large of a disadvantage with snake I will either go MK or just play melee.

BTW who did DSF win with?

TeeVee

Smash Lord
True, just like when a former famous actor sells out and does commercials. I'd imagine deep down the MK users feel the same way as them, "I can't make money because I don't have talent, so let me take the guaranteed road to success even though everyone will lose respect for me".
This is a competative game where money is involved. If there is a character with advantages far superior than every other character, why not use him?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You're assuming that all MK users aren't skilled. This is false. MK isn't powerful enough to be used by a complete noob and own a top tier player; however, two top tier players playing.... well, the MK will always be at an advantage. That doesn't mean he is a win button, but he's as close as you can get.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You're assuming that all MK users aren't skilled. This is false. MK isn't powerful enough to be used by a complete noob and own a top tier player; however, two top tier players playing.... well, the MK will always be at an advantage. That doesn't mean he is a win button, but he's as close as you can get.
I'm aware that MK does take skill....to beat another MK. He is easier to use than anyone else, and has ridiculously broken range, priority, no lag on almost all his moves. The only time skill comes into play is when you're in a MK ditto and you have to gay him harder, which I hardly call skill. Still, I know that players such as Forte are very skilled, but the fact is most MK users are not.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Ha obviously j ceasar, i've been saying that for a while but if they won't, then picking him up is the next best thing.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ha obviously j ceasar, i've been saying that for a while but if they won't, then picking him up is the next best thing.
Question: Would Brawl have been a better competitive game if MK had not been included?
Answer: A clear and resounding YES!

I don't see what the problem is. I honestly don't understand why it's so taboo to ban a character, especially one who's clearly having such a large undesirable effect on the tourney scene. Is it really any different than banning items or stages? Why does everyone think the programmers know better than we do?

Thumbs, I think you and I should hold a "MK-free" tourney, just as an experiment.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
This discussion should just totally move onto the why meta knight shouldn't be banned*** thread. It's actually quite funny the reasons brought up by the meta mains why he shouldn't be banned: "He has no killing moves, dsmash kills at 140+ (someone actually did say that >_>)" or my favorite " All of his B moves make him freefall".

heres the thread--- http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5181742#post5181742

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Please doit guys, all it takes is 1 TO to set up a mk-free tourny then the others copy cat it if it turns out well.

JC and Thumbs should try it...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think if people see a few successful MK-free tournies, maybe other TOs who like the idea won't be so scared of being ostracized by the community for doing so. We could start the snowball that becomes an avalanche (we can only hope). If you care about the future of competitive Brawl you must join us!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
For real OS did DSF go mk for the whole thing, and did anther stay pika?
He went MK for the first half, then Snake for the last half. I asked him why and he just said that Snake was his better character.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll be interesting to see how Overswarm does in tournaments with Meta-Knight. I say go for it.

Out of curiosity, does Anther get rocked by MK?

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
Where would the fun be then? I certainly don't take pride in winning because I'm using the best character, what's the point? I get the best feelings when I actually beat a good MK with Diddy in Brawl. I feel as though I've humiliated them, which is what all MK users deserve to feel.
You mightve just changed my mind about playing as Mk. I use to play as mk alot but I got bored of him and stopped

chckn

Smash Ace
Snake isn't a problem. Just shield a lot and gimp him. It's one of my favorite matchups with Diddy.
But its a big problem matchup for a ton of other characters. Trust me if MK is banned there will be easilly 80% snake. Which thankfully really isnt a problem for ROB.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yeah, Snake has weaknesses and bad matchups. Several characters counter or do well against him. It's not like MK, where not a ****ing single member of the roster can stand a chance in hell.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Please tell me who solidly COUNTERS snake.
No one solidly counters him but snake is easier to beat then MK and Snake also takes a little technique skill unlike MK and not everyone will use snake when there are other very good characters they can pick up like G&W, ddd etc.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Wow, we've got some vitriol going in the thread now. I'm glad the MK hate is increasing, though I honestly can't blame OS for picking him up. Our most tourney-successful ROB has troubles, picks up MK, and can 0wn right off the bat. Once he gets a good amount of practice with MK, why use anyone else (especially if you're playing for money/to win)?

It's not that he's a completely broken character. It's simply that Brawl already has enough things to gripe about, and that the addition of Metaknight cuts down on the competitive chances of pretty much every single character. That hurts the game.

J4pu

Smash Champion
**** I wish I would have started going to tourneys already, now I'm gunna be starting agianst a ton of MKs, that's no fun. At least all i have to do is get a stock up and get a grab semi near an edge and then just CG into spike into SD spike for the remaining stocks.

WOOT

chckn

Smash Ace
Yo gw does well enough against ROB. **** picking up snake, hes wayy to gay for me. But yeah took out two real good gw's today and had my first tourney where I didnt lose a match to an mk :p.

Top Bottom