• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear lord, Overswarm has been given a trial by the gods

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I got either 7th or 9th; I'm not sure which, but both of them suck.

I went all MK at a smashfest yesterday. The first few games in a new matchup were difficult and I almost doubted myself for a moment... and after about 3 games I started getting consistent 2 and 3 stocks; the only time I would die after learning a matchup is when I made a mistake, like accidently over-bing or missing a grab. Those will fade in time.

I used the tag "gay" for all my MK matches, and I had like a 50-10 win/loss spread. I have made a deal with the devil.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman

I went all MK at a smashfest yesterday. The first few games in a new matchup were difficult and I almost doubted myself for a moment... and after about 3 games I started getting consistent 2 and 3 stocks; the only time I would die after learning a matchup is when I made a mistake, like accidently over-bing or missing a grab. Those will fade in time.

I used the tag "gay" for all my MK matches, and I had like a 50-10 win/loss spread. I have made a deal with the devil.
Hey don't worry man, you had to do what you had to do. No one will penalize you for that. I still think you're the best ROB out there. Which character did you lose to? Who'd you lose to? Lol at gay tag.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

If you become a MK main, the ROB boards will never forgive you for this treachery :mad:

This is exactly what's wrong with Brawl! MK isn't completely unbeatable, but why would you use anyone else when MK is soooo easy to do well with and has no possible counterpick? The pro-MK people say that the rest of us complain about MK too much saying that we can't beat him or whatever, and that we should just learn to beat him, but the only realistic solution to the MK problem is to play MK yourself, and that is a BAD solution. I have more practice against MK than any other character, yet I do better against characters I don't even know how to fight. He will always be everyone's hardest matchup.

/rant

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you become a MK main, the ROB boards will never forgive you for this treachery :mad:

This is exactly what's wrong with Brawl! MK isn't completely unbeatable, but why would you use anyone else when MK is soooo easy to do well with and has no possible counterpick? The pro-MK people say that the rest of us complain about MK too much saying that we can't beat him or whatever, and that we should just learn to beat him, but the only realistic solution to the MK problem is to play MK yourself, and that is a BAD solution. I have more practice against MK than any other character, yet I do better against characters I don't even know how to fight. He will always be everyone's hardest matchup.

/rant
I still will play ROB for matchups that ROB is amazing in at the very least... but when I look at ROB I see this:

ROB vs. MK: uphill battle no matter what; if they know what they are doing, you die when you are off the stage
ROB vs. G&W: uphill battle; if they know what they are doing, you take a lot of damage when off the stage. This is manageable.
ROB vs. rest of the cast: THEY ARE DESTROYED.

So I think "who woudl do good against MK", and I just realize the best odds will always be MK himself. Then I look at MKs matchups:

MK vs. MK: Even.

MK vs. Rest of cast: Advantage for the sword-wielding marshmallow.

Why try? :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Maybe if I'm lucky I'll go to a tournament and get owned by some magic character and find a counter. Or maybe I'll get him banned. One can only hope.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Until MK is banned then I am quitting brawl XD

You switching mains = me realizing that if you want to beat MK then you have to play MK. That is not ****ing balanced. That's the kind of thing that actually gets a character the "broken" tag. Seriously that just makes me mad x_x

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Woah we should spread our ideology to Shoryuken

"Why are you banning Akuma? Just force everyone to play Akuma. *******."

TeeVee

Smash Lord
well, im gonna use meta until he is banned ; why NOT use a broken character?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Actually I'm seriously considering using MK vs MK, and ROB the rest of the time. The only way to fight gay is with more gay, unfortunately. I can only hope he gets banned in time to save the tourney scene. It's a shame, because besides MK I really like Brawl :(

I don't even mind G&W being a tough match for ROB. There are supposed to be counterpicks, that's what makes a game balanced. When one character has no counters, there is no reason for a competitive player to play anyone else, and that makes for a poor and unbalanced competitive game.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Cmon Chozen it's not that extreme, if anything I'd say DDD is more broken than G&W and Snake, but even he is a lot more manageable than MK.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
There is but one character that stands a chance against MK and that is Snake. In fact, if you ask Mew2king he'll tell you Snake counters MK. That would certainly explain how G-reg beat Forte in a recent tourny. Nade spamming covers a lot of MK outs, he can't approach with tornado anymore and such.

Brawl has always been a horrible competitive fighter. Despite this, I actually do enjoy playing it, HOWEVER, tournaments are never fun because I'm always thinking how long it will be before I run into another MK. Every tourny I have been to (and it's been many) I've been knocked out by MK. A lot of those times, I lost to two MKs in a row to knock me out of tourny.

It just amazes me that MK users can complain about us johning and *****ing about how gay they play. Regardless of who you are, if you main MK, you are NEVER allowed to ***** about anything. It's sickening.

Also, JC, I don't think I told you this but at Chu's last biweekly, Tim played really gay with MK. I beat him first match, so he counterpicked Jungle Japes (honestly, how gay can you be) where I barely lost. So I took him to Smashville. I was winning the entire time and when he got me down to my last stock he was already at like 80% on his last. So he ledgecamped for a good minute. So I stood in the middle of the stage and waited patiently for him to come out, PROMISING I wouldn't hit him. He kept camping. I asked him are you seriously doing this? He later gave me his response and it was the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. I'll tell you in a second, but first, this is how I dealt with it. I positioned myself just right in the middle of the stage and spammed my peanut gun so it would hit him where he was holding the ledge. He was forced to keep regrabbing the edge with perfect timing or else he'd take damage. He, of course, could not keep up and I hit him 3 or 4 times before he decided to come up and fight me like a man. I killed him shortly after and it was around this time he gave me his response when I again asked him why he resorted to camping, "I'm METAKNIGHT, I was forcing you to approach, I have no projectiles!". After this he told me he didn't expect all the camping and spamming he saw from ME. Are you ****ing serious? ME CAMPING AND SPAMMING. Apparantly, he thinks that because I wouldn't go the to edge where he was staying the whole ****ing time and get up b killed by him, that I was camping. Unbelievable. Later he told me, "You know I shouldn't have lost right?". I said, "Why? Because you edgecamped the entire last stock?".

No offense to Tim or anything, but that summarizes what every MK player is thinking when they pull that ****. And I will say that it is entirely impossible to defeat a capable MK who camps. He has such an overwhelming advantage over you that's like Sheik vs Bowser all over again.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's more about, "Why would a rational competitive player use a character other than MK if he wants to win?"

The fact is, he wouldn't. There is no conceivable situation where it would be advantageous to use a different character, no matter who your opponent is or what stage you're on. And that is bad for the competitive nature of this game.

So until he gets banned, I'm gonna use MK against MK, and ROB in all other situations.

**** Metaknight...

chckn

Smash Ace

Yeah I was wondering when you would come around to something like that. A superb MK is just too much to deal with. I started picking up snake yesterday for that ONE matchup and Im already beating mks that I struggled like hell with with ROB. Brawl is gay, so we must in turn be as gay as possible.

*edit* This seems very familiar to the "snake is unbeatable" phase from a couple of months ago. MK is beatable by snake/mk/gw and a few others. NOT COUNTERED, BUT BEATABLE. He is no where near broken enough to be banned and I do not believe that he will by.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm learning the way of the gay with Diddy. If I continuously glide toss and non-stop grab and banana combo, I shall become one with the inner gay of Brawl. I'll be as homo as possible with the bananas, and I'll make every MK user hate hate this game even more than I do.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
*edit* This seems very familiar to the "snake is unbeatable" phase from a couple of months ago. MK is beatable by snake/mk/gw and a few others. NOT COUNTERED, BUT BEATABLE. He is no where near broken enough to be banned and I do not believe that he will by.
I don't remember that phase, but then again I live in MD and our MKs have always been >>> than our Snakes.

chckn

Smash Ace
I don't remember that phase, but then again I live in MD and our MKs have always been >>> than our Snakes.
about 3 weeks ago literally 75% of people at least were using snakes in tourneys. Now its down to like the three or four who actually main him.

Santi

Smash Lord
Overswarm to the dark side?!?!?
:(

The night is always darkest before the dawn....

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought baout picking up Snake, but most MKs are ****** Snakes now. DSF himself said that Snake vs. MK was a hard matchup for snake.

I was originally just giong to do MK dittos and ROB vs. all else... but then thought... why bother? Just stick with MK; after all, you'll need more practice to beat the other MKs.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I still say you'd be best off finding a lesser character with a neutral matchup against MK, OS. Everyone knows how to play MK dittos (or MK/Snake) since they make up half the matches of every tourney. :/ You'd always be more familiar than your opponent if you're the DK or a ZSS in this matchup, for example, giving you an advantage that way. Take what you can get, which isn't much against MK...

I don't want to learn MK dittos. :( In fact, I refuse. Even just playing Snake against him would be better.

the only realistic solution to the MK problem is to play MK yourself
And this is what we like to call "broken." Sadly, he's not truly unbeatable (merely an uphill hill battle for everyone else on every stage *cough*) and thus not banworthy under the standard definition.

That said, "The fact is, he wouldn't. There is no conceivable situation where it would be advantageous to use a different character, no matter who your opponent is or what stage you're on. And that is bad for the competitive nature of this game." is untrue. MK is never disadvantaged but he is not always the most advantaged in every circumstance. ROB will perform better against the likes of Snake or DK. Jigglypuff, Ness, G&W are top tier at abusing Pirate Ship's water. And so on. However, there's no reason not to start with MK, since there's no chance he could be disadvantaged off the bat by the opponent's character choice or starting neutral stage and has plenty of favorable matchups of his own accord.

btw OS is there a bracket for this posted on the boards, and how did you place?
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5180887&postcount=1003

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
I thought baout picking up Snake, but most MKs are ****** Snakes now. DSF himself said that Snake vs. MK was a hard matchup for snake.

I was originally just giong to do MK dittos and ROB vs. all else... but then thought... why bother? Just stick with MK; after all, you'll need more practice to beat the other MKs.

so does this mean you are officially not maining rob any more :(

chckn

Smash Ace

I just really cant play mk. I tried and mk dittos are just as terrible as rob dittos. Im gonna try snake out next tourney on the 30th and if I dont have too much trouble I'll stick with him for mk. If not I probably will just play melee...

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
I just really cant play mk. I tried and mk dittos are just as terrible as rob dittos. Im gonna try snake out next tourney on the 30th and if I dont have too much trouble I'll stick with him for mk. If not I probably will just play melee...
I dont know about snake vs. mk. All he has on mk is kill power, thats about it. Mk has everything else. Im gonna stick to Mk vs. Mk its more even.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That said, "The fact is, he wouldn't. There is no conceivable situation where it would be advantageous to use a different character, no matter who your opponent is or what stage you're on. And that is bad for the competitive nature of this game." is untrue. MK is never disadvantaged but he is not always the most advantaged in every circumstance. ROB will perform better against the likes of Snake or DK. Jigglypuff, Ness, G&W are top tier at abusing Pirate Ship's water. And so on. However, there's no reason not to start with MK, since there's no chance he could be disadvantaged off the bat by the opponent's character choice or starting neutral stage and has plenty of favorable matchups of his own accord.
I know I was exaggerating a bit there, but like OS said, if you can master MK, why bother with anyone else? No other character can consistently win a set against every other character like MK can.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Plus, MK has very few bad counterpicks against him (character or stage).

It makes more sense to just get really good with MK and then throw out a secondary only when you don't know the matchup.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Where would the fun be then? I certainly don't take pride in winning because I'm using the best character, what's the point? I get the best feelings when I actually beat a good MK with Diddy in Brawl. I feel as though I've humiliated them, which is what all MK users deserve to feel.

And have you actually ever used MK? He's absurdly easy and boring to use. I derive no pleasure in pulling off any kills/combos/techniques with him. I despise him the most, but truthfully I've actually gotten used to playing against him. I play so many MKs that my goal is now to beat a notable one in tourny. I can do it with Diddy, he stands somewhat of a chance.

chckn

Smash Ace
Where would the fun be then? I certainly don't take pride in winning because I'm using the best character, what's the point? I get the best feelings when I actually beat a good MK with Diddy in Brawl. I feel as though I've humiliated them, which is what all MK users deserve to feel.

And have you actually ever used MK? He's absurdly easy and boring to use. I derive no pleasure in pulling off any kills/combos/techniques with him. I despise him the most, but truthfully I've actually gotten used to playing against him. I play so many MKs that my goal is now to beat a notable one in tourny. I can do it with Diddy, he stands somewhat of a chance.
I feel you on that, but after getting knocked out of every tourney by two mks pretty much its time for a change. When theres money at stake you have to do what you have to do to get an advantage.

Top Bottom