• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
luigi; sheik; marth; ganon. im pretty sure cpt. falcon's returning 'cuz they have samurai goroh in brawl. if they dont put falcon in...thats like a game with luigi and no mario......right?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
I have no idea what to talk about here anymore.
Talk about how cool Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is. Seriously, the Mii Bobblehead is the coolest extra ever invented by man.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
im not a dude dude lol
Oh! Lol, now I'm the one who's sorry. My appologies... miss.

EDIT:
@Chief Mendez:
MP3 is such a great game. I want a bobblehead badly, but I just started the game so I have to wait a bit before I can get some of the cool stuff. I only just beat Rundas.

...but this is the "Who's going to return?" thread. We should really get something with that general theme to talk about.

Kearnsy

Smash Rookie
whats the point of taking any out?!

you might as well just leave the same SSBM character as an option and keep everyone happy.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kearnsy said:
whats the point of taking any out?!
Balancing issues. Also, it takes time to make models and effects and animations for each character, regardless of veterancy.

deebz435 said:
I dont know what i would do if he didnt man.
I KNOW MAN!! My life as I know it would, simply put, not be worth living if Mr. Sandbag gets the axe.

I think I'd consider becoming a eunic.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Does anyone think that since mario got a completely new special move that maybe some of the other veterans will get a similar treatment?
Oh absolutely! Some of the more basic veterans and especially the clones. Luigi will be given a new move or two (probably with the Poltergust), I saw Peach has some new turnips at her disposal (though I don't know if that's similar), I could see Mewtwo getting some more *cough*useful*cough* attacks.

WILL MR. SANDBAG RETURN!?
He better! Practicing on Mr Sandbag was what actually got me good at playing Smash. I would be a nobody without him.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I just got a great idea how bout in training mode you fight one of Nintendo's famous robot's? Like ROB from Star Fox, the original ROB or maybe even Chibi-Robo!

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
There are three vetreans I want to come back for Brawl who haven't been confirmed yet. Of the three, there's two I'm ABSURDLY worried about, and unfortunately with good reason.

They are Ness, Marth, and Captain Falcon. I'm not worried about Falcon since Samurai Goroh is an assist trophy, and Falcon is one of the most beloved characters, spawning two of the most memorable catch phrases in the Smash bros series. Namely, FALCON PUNCH, and SHOW ME YOUR MOVES.

I worried about Ness not because I don't think the Mother series won't have a representitive (they will of course,) but because I don't think it will be Ness. With Sakurai's statement that Ness wasn't supposed to be in Brawl coupled with the mounting evidence of Mother 3 exclusive items in Brawl (composer credits, Franklin Badge decor, etc.) I think Ness may be removed. He has a fiercely loyal fanbase, but there just aren't a lot of Earthbound fans. Ness may be considered old news, and it is this horrible mentality I'm worried about that means Ness may be an Assist Trophy only.

However, my worries for Ness are nothing compared for Marth.

When I woke up to find the first Newcomer had been named, my heart quickly sank when I saw the name Ike. A newcomer announced before the vetran from his series? This couldn't bode well for Marth, and it still doesn't now. I was already worried when Sakurai announced he wanted to limit the amout of Japanese only characters in Brawl, but Ike appearing in Brawl before Marth (with similar moves no less) has only continued to add more nails to the coffin of Marth;s appearence in Brawl. The only hopes I have left is the knowledge that the Fire Emblem stage isn't exclusive to Fire Emblem 9, and that Marth was one of the most popular characters in Brawl.

I just wanted to get this off my chest, but any thoughts or comments, negative or positive regarding Ness and Marth's inclusions would be appreciated. In this thread, this discussion must've happened a thousand times so far, but I never got a chanve to hear the opinions.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
You said Brawl instead of Melee a few times, D_K. :p

Ya know...going back and reading that quote about Japanese exclusive characters makes me realise a few things. He says, something along the lines of, "Since this game is popular worldwide, we can't just include characters that are only popular in Japan." He says "just" which would imply he doesn't want the entire roster to just be characters only popular in Japan (and it's met this criteria already) and he says "characters that are only popular in Japan" instead of saying characters that are exlusive to Japan. So, the roster won't be 100% comprised of characters like Tingle, Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Black Shadow that are only popular in Japan which, of course, it isn't already. So...any character should be fair game now.

RicanThunder

Smash Cadet
It would be awesome to see all of the characters return to keep the trend going. However, considering what we had before and what new characters are coming you have doubts. Since the pokemon trainer is here that is three more pokemon. That would be jigglypuff, pikachu, pichu, mewtwo, squirtle , ivysaur, and Charizard. Thats alot of pokemon. No complaints but it just seems unlikely.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
Then Pichu dosen't half to return Pichu (Like Roy) was put in to promote the Jhoto region of Pokemon. Roy was put in to promote the Fire Emblem series

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd rather not have a Pikachu clone as a second generation rep.

Really, if the second generation rep is a just a clone, then we don't need one.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
@Destruction_King:
I have pondered these same thoughts and fears that you have for a countless amount of time. Now, it's safe to assume that Captain Falcon will make the cut, what with Samurai Goroh as an AT and the F-Zero emblem revealed. And even though we have gotten no news about Marth or Ness, and there is no proof yet to believe they will return, but I have strong feeling that both of them will return, and here's why:

Marth was the FIRST lord in the FIRST game of the Fire Emblem series. Not only was he in a remake/sequel, he was highly requested to be in Melee. The FE stage does not represent any specific game in the series so there's no limit on who can or can't make the cut for Brawl. Also, we may already have Ike representing the FE series, but Ike will play a totally different style to Marth. He will be heavy and insanely strong. And in leu of not playing like Marth, he has "t3h PH1R3!!!1!11!!", a trait that only Roy boasted in terms of the two FE representatives. This is what leads me to believe that Ike will be taking the place of Roy, and not Marth. Marth has great chances, believe you me! I see him as one of the Melee characters with no choice but to make it into Brawl.

It is right to feel fear regarding Sakurai saying he wanted Lucas in Brawl Melee over Ness. But the little guy has picked up so much popularity, even with the cruel and unusual nerfing he took from the transition of SSB64 to Melee. He is the main character of the only state-side game from the Mother series. It is such a popular game here that it is accoladed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. And I'm more than glad to be the one to tell you that your theories of "Mother 3 exclusive content" is 100% invalid. The composers have nothing to do with what characters will or will not make it into the game. Some composers have worked on games that have never even touched a Nintendo system, and some composers are composing songs from games that they themselves have never even touched. Oh, and the Franklin Badge was an item in EVERY Mother game of the series. Lucas has just as good a chance as Lucas or Ninten or Flint or whomever you can think of from a Mother game. Ness should probably be getting in, and hopefully they'll buff him back to where he used to be in SSB64!

I hope this helped in any way.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
@Destruction_King:
I have pondered these same thoughts and fears that you have for a countless amount of time. Now, it's safe to assume that Captain Falcon will make the cut, what with Samurai Goroh as an AT and the F-Zero emblem revealed. And even though we have gotten no news about Marth or Ness, and there is no proof yet to believe they will return, but I have strong feeling that both of them will return, and here's why:

Marth was the FIRST lord in the FIRST game of the Fire Emblem series. Not only was he in a remake/sequel, he was highly requested to be in Melee. The FE stage does not represent any specific game in the series so there's no limit on who can or can't make the cut for Brawl. Also, we may already have Ike representing the FE series, but Ike will play a totally different style to Marth. He will be heavy and insanely strong. And in leu of not playing like Marth, he has "t3h PH1R3!!!1!11!!", a trait that only Roy boasted in terms of the two FE representatives. This is what leads me to believe that Ike will be taking the place of Roy, and not Marth. Marth has great chances, believe you me! I see him as one of the Melee characters with no choice but to make it into Brawl.

It is right to feel fear regarding Sakurai saying he wanted Lucas in Brawl Melee over Ness. But the little guy has picked up so much popularity, even with the cruel and unusual nerfing he took from the transition of SSB64 to Melee. He is the main character of the only state-side game from the Mother series. It is such a popular game here that it is accoladed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. And I'm more than glad to be the one to tell you that your theories of "Mother 3 exclusive content" is 100% invalid. The composers have nothing to do with what characters will or will not make it into the game. Some composers have worked on games that have never even touched a Nintendo system, and some composers are composing songs from games that they themselves have never even touched. Oh, and the Franklin Badge was an item in EVERY Mother game of the series. Lucas has just as good a chance as Lucas or Ninten or Flint or whomever you can think of from a Mother game. Ness should probably be getting in, and hopefully they'll buff him back to where he used to be in SSB64!

I hope this helped in any way.
I greatly appreciate your thoughts, and never noticed how many times I used Brawl and Melee interchangably. Sorry.

The only reason I mentioned the frankiln badge though, isn't because of the games it appeared in. It appeared in all three of the Mother Games. The reason I'm worried was because the badges design was based off of the one people who preordered Mother 3 got with thier purchase. That makes the badge more relevant to Mother 3 than any other Mother game, even though no design for the Franklin Badge was released until now.

But I digress. You bring up very good points, and I hope for both of us, that you're absolutely right.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Actually, Destruction_King, that design is based off of the badge they gave away to people who bought the strategy guide or the encyclopedia for the orginal MOTHER. That design was used to make the one given away in the Deluxe MOTHER 3 pack which was white (like the one in SSBB) instead of the original gold though they gave away some of the original gold amongst the white ones.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I really liked Dr. Mario and Ness in Melee, I hope they return.
Doc Mario has no chance. Sorry.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts,

The only reason I mentioned the frankiln badge though, isn't because of the games it appeared in. It appeared in all three of the Mother Games. The reason I'm worried was because the badges design was based off of the one people who preordered Mother 3 got with thier purchase. That makes the badge more relevant to Mother 3 than any other Mother game, even though no design for the Franklin Badge was released until now.

But I digress. You bring up very good points, and I hope for both of us, that you're absolutely right.
You're welcome for my opinions... lol.

And I actually didn't know that about the Mother3 preorders and the Franklin Badges, but I don't think that really makes any difference. If no official images of the Franklin Badge were released before Mother3 and it was included in the other games then I just figure that's how they imagined it to look. And to the best of any of our knowledge, that very well could be the case. Ness should have no problem getting in. With the larger amount of disk space in the next gen games and the strong desire to see more representation from the Mother series in Smash, I don't see why we couldn't get Ninten, Ness, Lucas, Claus, and anyone else we wanted from the series.

TraparFire

Smash Rookie
i think ganondarf should be in it cause hes so cool and really strong his final smash could be to transform into ganon like bowsers giga transformation
i'm not really seeing that. it's doubtful that he'd transform at all, but i agree that it'd be his final smash if anything. who knows? they might have him as one of many mega bosses if he's transformed. think ganon, giga bowser, and a few other big baddies to wail on, but in some kind of single player or event match kind of thing

metaknighter

Smash Apprentice
the characters I think shouldnt return are:

Ice Climbers. Why: Nobody likes them. there not cool, cute, strong, fast, or useful in anyway. and there voices...are extremely annoying.

Pichu: His smash attacks are wortless, he is way too light, he takes damage from normal attacks, pikachu is so much better than him.

Young Link: He is weak, not very fast, cant jump, doesnt have good smashes, smaller copy of Link. Pretty much a grade less as good as link in every catagory.

Dr. Mario: Dr. mario was fun and all, but they aalready had luigi for a clone. mario was a bit stronger( except for the B move, pills and fireballs.), and...Mario is bettter...lol

Roy: stupid noobs( no offense to stupid noobs out there) think roy is better than marth because of the fire. he is slower than marth. he can barley wave dash. he doesnt have any meteor smashes. his hair is wild and unruly while marths is cool.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ice Climbers. Why: Nobody likes them. there not cool, cute, strong, fast, or useful in anyway. and there voices...are extremely annoying.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I love the Ice Climbers. Believe it or not, many others do as well.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman

Pichu: His smash attacks are wortless, he is way too light, he takes damage from normal attacks, pikachu is so much better than him.

Young Link: He is weak, not very fast, cant jump, doesnt have good smashes, smaller copy of Link. Pretty much a grade less as good as link in every catagory.

Dr. Mario: Dr. mario was fun and all, but they aalready had luigi for a clone. mario was a bit stronger( except for the B move, pills and fireballs.), and...Mario is bettter...lol

Roy: stupid noobs( no offense to stupid noobs out there) think roy is better than marth because of the fire. he is slower than marth. he can barley wave dash. he doesnt have any meteor smashes. his hair is wild and unruly while marths is cool.
Honestly, I don't think any of these will return (except Ice Climbers) but I don't agree with any of your reasons.

Your reasons seem a bit more personally driven, instead of fact driven. I just don't think you like the characters.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice

umm...I think these are personal opinions.

I don't like IC either but that doesn't mean others don't. However, yes their voices are very annoying. And I'll also have to disagree about them not being strong. They can do a buttload of damage.

Pichu...I think it best not to say anything...unless its positive........................um...he's a LITTLE bit quicker than Pikachu...that's about it.

Although I agree that Link is better, Young Link is quicker...I just don't think they needed two of the same character. Hopefully he like Link will change into a more updated version and we'll get Wind Waker YLink. His moves'll be way (well moreso) different than Twighlight Princess Link.

whoa! no dissing the doc! I have to completely disagree with you here. First off Luigi was not a clone...he is way different than Mario...I mean the similarities remain only because their freakin brothers...how different do you think the Mario bros are gonna be? As for Mario being stronger than the Doc...that is quite the opposite...the majority of Doc's attacks do more damage or have greater knockback than Mario's and as for your comment on "Mario is better," well take a look at the tier list. Doc's higher. Not trying to knitpick but nobody disses the Doc. However I agree he should go because he's just Mario wearing a Doctor's outfit. He can be an alternative costume.

LOL! First off though...Roy is not bad...Marth is just way too good. Roy got screwed when they altered Marth's movelist. They gave fire effects which didn't help Roy except give a little extra damage. The real problem lies in their sweetspots on their swords. Roys is at the hilt...meaning he has to be real close. Marth's is at the tip meaning he can spam his smash and stay back.

As you can see I don't exactly agree with all your reasons but I pretty much agree that these characters should all go...maybe not IC though...they could get a moveset for when their alone so as not to be easy pickings.

Top Bottom