• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

roy_owns

Smash Lord
But we don't want characters that aren't any good. Say... A Goomba. What can he really do? He has the power of aimlessly walk toward people. Same with Pichu and Doc. Pichu is a weaker version of Pikachu that hurts him self, and Doc was just a waste of character. (OK that might be a bit harsh). Also Pichu isn't worth going through the trouble to unlock him.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Except for the sake of completing the game... unfortunately...

Young Link was truly a WTF character, Roy needs to move out of the way for PoR chars, Pichu... yea...

Dr. Mario is a maybe. He wasn't a waste of space (eg. Falco and Pichu.) but certainly wasn't important.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well, I feel that Pichu can stay. But that's only if they either make him stronger or make him stop hurting himself (and give him a new moveset, regardless of the direction they take).

Young Link should be given a new moveset and obviously be made cel-shaded.

I don't know what they can do with Roy... I hear he's not even that popular or good in his own game. Plus, he was basically thrown in as an advertisement. (Do you think they'll have another promo character in Brawl?) But if they do think of something I guess he can stay.

And Doctor Mario can never be de-cloned. He IS Mario. What else could they possibly do to differentiate him from... himself? Just cameo him by having the doctor scrubs as one of Mario's alternate costumes.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, I feel that Pichu can stay. But that's only if they either make him stronger or make him stop hurting himself (and give him a new moveset, regardless of the direction they take).

Young Link should be given a new moveset and obviously be made cel-shaded.

I don't know what they can do with Roy... I hear he's not even that popular or good in his own game. Plus, he was basically thrown in as an advertisement. (Do you think they'll have another promo character in Brawl?) But if they do think of something I guess he can stay.

And Doctor Mario can never be de-cloned. He IS Mario. What else could they possibly do to differentiate him from... himself? Just cameo him by having the doctor scrubs as one of Mario's alternate costumes.
agreed with Ylink, Dr. mario, and Pichu (if they make him stop hurting himself + new moveset), but as for Roy he is surely not going to return, like you mentioned he was just thrown in for premoting FE at the time of melee so I think it would really be unlikely if he got thrown again unless their promoting a new game which I doubt, but personally if it's another FE character it should definetly not be "cloned" and should be differnt from Ike (or Marth if he return) I think Hector would make a fine choice.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Pichu with a new moveset? No. I'd rather have another kind of Pokemon. Pikachu is enough for the electric Pokemon... Pichu is just the pre-evolution of Pikachu...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think that Pichu is anymore original then Dr. Mario. They both need to go.

I'd rather have only Link in this game, but I really don't wish to argue that. XD

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Oh, I have a name for a Pichu with a new moveset!

Raichu...
I just think we need only one electric rat: Pikachu.

I'd rather have more diversity, Pokemon Trainer has done that in a great way... Having Pikachu and Pichu, or Pikachu and Raichu, just seems like it's representing the electric side of Pokemon too much... Besides Raichu isn't really popular. In the anime (which if you can't tell, is the basis for why Pikachu and Jigglypuff have made it in the past two games.). Pikachu refuses to evolve...

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff, Captain, Luigi, Marth, IceClimbers, Falco, Ganondorf, Mewtwo.

That is all.

The rest are cool in each respect, but we don't need clones, and we don't need an old 2D character that is only fun to play with. Actually get a new one.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
and we don't need an old 2D character that is only fun to play with. Actually get a new one.
I don't really see that as being a good reason as to why Mr. Game & Watch shouldn't return.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see that as being a good reason as to why Mr. Game & Watch shouldn't return.
Hmmm... let me think of an actual good reason.

He's not used as much in tournaments? That's a bad reason, I know.
He's not that good, and he's not really a real Nintendo character. Maybe someone replace him as another joke character.

I have one in mind, but I dare not say.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Those aren't good reasons.

Just because a character isn't played much in tournaments doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in this game. I enjoy using Mr. Game and Watch, and I can't be the only person in the whole world.

"He's not that good" Yet you want Mewtwo to return. >_> You can't judge a character by that, perhaps if you want to play competitively maybe, but for their right to be in the game, you don't judge them by that. Besides Sakurai could always make Mr. Game and Watch better. Did you ever think of that? :ohwell:

"He's not really a real Nintendo character." Actually I'm pretty sure he is. Besides it doesn't matter much... I mean we have Snake in this game, so what can you say?

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
Those aren't good reasons.

Just because a character isn't played much in tournaments doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in this game. I enjoy using Mr. Game and Watch, and I can't be the only person in the whole world.

"He's not that good" Yet you want Mewtwo to return. >_> You can't judge a character by that, perhaps if you want to play competitively maybe, but for their right to be in the game, you don't judge them by that. Besides Sakurai could always make Mr. Game and Watch better. Did you ever think of that? :ohwell:

"He's not really a real Nintendo character." Actually I'm pretty sure he is. Besides it doesn't matter much... I mean we have Snake in this game, so what can you say?
I too enjoyed being Mr. Game/Watch. I just don't want to play as him when there are better alternatives: Black Knight, King Dee Dee, King K. Rool... and so on.

Yes, I did think he could easily be made better and balanced. Along with Mewtwo. I'm not a fan of Mewtwo returning, but I think he will. Just because they can be made better, doesn't mean they should return.

Mr. Game/Watch is a created character for Melee. True there was a Game/Watch portable, but the character never existed until Melee. He's made by Nintendo, but there's no character(personality) there. Who is Game/Watch? What is his back-story?

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Game and Watch is not a personal favorite of mine, but I see no reason that he shouldn't return. Though I admit he's a gimmick, he's still an original character with a unique moveset - something that can't be said of Dr. Mario, Pichu or Young Link.

If he does return, however, I hope that they balance him a bit more. The one thing I would like to see is a bit more unpredictability; make some of his moves start with the same frame(s), so that you can't tell what he's going to do. I think it would suit G&W's character great, and would be a better alternative than just increasing his power or speed.

The question is, though, will the Ice Climbers return? Like G&W, they're unique in the world of Smash, but they're not really all that popular; while Pit has been wanted since the original Smash, and G&W is the wacky retro WTF character, the Ice Climbers only starred in one game, and Nintendo hasn't got around to making a sequel (even after the popularity of Melee, which, among other things, inspired them to bring Fire Emblem stateside). It goes either way, but I wouldn't be displeased if I didn't see them in Brawl.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
He was named after an ancient handheld console. look it up on Wikipedia. He has plenty of games up his 2-D sleeves.
I am aware of this.

Mr. Game/Watch is a combination of all the characters from the hand-held console, created as one character for Smash.
There was no actual Mr. Game/Watch character on the console, the "Mr." wasn't added until Smash. And since when has wikipedia become a reliable source?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I too enjoyed being Mr. Game/Watch. I just don't want to play as him when there are better alternatives: Black Knight, King Dee Dee, King K. Rool... and so on.
Can those characters not be in along with Mr. Game and Watch?

Yes, I did think he could easily be made better and balanced. Along with Mewtwo. I'm not a fan of Mewtwo returning, but I think he will. Just because they can be made better, doesn't mean they should return.
...Just because they aren't the best doesn't mean they shouldn't return too, you know?

Mr. Game/Watch is a created character for Melee. True there was a Game/Watch portable, but the character never existed until Melee. He's made by Nintendo, but there's no character(personality) there. Who is Game/Watch? What is his back-story?
Apparently he was a character, he just didn't have a name... I don't really see why the rest of that matters.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Eh... there was an official site for the Game and Watch, but since then, it fails to come to mind...

Nonetheless, I actually have seen Mr. GNW in a few games! I doubt they could just come up with a name, so they came up with... that.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
WTF? FLUDD is MArio's dB=??? SO I'm guessing his n Z is his Mario Tornado now or something. <_< Luigi has been further decloned. I feel his vacuum is going to be his dB now! XD

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
I agree with both of you.

I'd be fine if he returned, but i imagine its more work to keep him in than to get rid of him. Balancing him, and putting him into the new environment and all that jazz doesn't sound that easy, and I would like it better if that time used to put him into the game, was used on something else.

And with such a complex story-adventure mode being created for the game, I don't see where he would fit in the whole spectrum.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait... that means... uh-oh. Luigi hasn't escaped cloning YET!
He's always been a semi-clone, who is technically a clone. This will add one more unique move to Luigi and Mario, for sure. Mario will have a zero damage, major impact move, that will make him the ultimate anti-recovery character. Looks like he could very well be my SSB64 and Brawl main now....God why do I have so many Brawl main choices=??? It will definitely be a good move, but I have one complaint: TIERS!

This move makes Mario inevidably stronger. This could make him several tier spots higher, and a bit imbalanced on the tier spectrum. Definitely. With the dB being seemingly useful, the still solid recovery, and being all around great, he could be much higher on the tiers IMO.

The other thing is Luigi is going to be even more decloned. His vaccum more than likely WILL be his dB. This could make him have a intresting attack as well, that is very individual and original.

Add in this new attack, I see Brawl's Mario reps being heavily based off Super Mario Sunshine. Seriously, first Isle Delfino, now this. We might see Bowser Jr. appear soon, definitely. But something tells me we aren't through with the Mario series yet, and that we'll get a SMB3 and NEW Super Mario Bros. stage. Definitely a SMB3 stage, along with the confirmed SMW2 stage. It'd fit perfectly. Anyways, watch Zelda be based off TP with a side of WW and OOT, and Mario be based off Sunshine with a side of SMB3, SMW2, SM64, NEW Super Mairo Bros....even SMRPG! :)

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
I think luigi will be in, hes been in ssb64 and ssbm, so why not in brawl?
But i doubt mr.game and watch will be in it, because, he was like a bonus character, not saying hes bad or anythin, but i doubt it very much.
Anyway, im tired, its 9 pm here, so im gonna play melee for a while, smash4life yea :)

smashbot226

Smash Master
You have no proof or backup, Dave, so therefore...

You fail.

I hope Mr. Game n Watch makes it. Nothing like playing Melee with GNW and against a noob Link man complaining that I'm a hacker and none of his B moves work on me...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
^^^^
Haha! I love playing brats like that. It's always a funny match.

And I hope Mr G&W makes it back too, he was one of the original characters and I think they should all make a return.

...Maybe ICs could go, but that's just a biased opinion. Nana doesn't like me. She picks on me. I hate her.

Pizzaguylol

Smash Cadet
I'll keep mine short and sweet.

Definitely in: Everyone from Melee minus Pichu, Doc, and Roy

The other ones can be Luigified or just get whole new movesets.

Top Bottom