• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

C!Z

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's pretty gay, Vish. =/ That's exactly what is gonna happen, we're gonna get seeded poorly in a 4 pool where only top 2 advance.

I actually don't think the pools are subject to change. From what I read on aib DiemB is pretty adamant about this format. Since he included hella other games in what was suppose to be a smash main event tourney. Hella people have been complaining about pools, but it doesn't matter.

MasterC

Smash Ace
LOL at andy's failure, smoke less my *** xD

But onto what ciz/vish/toph are talkin about: YOU GUYS GOT THIS (at least vish does cuz he's homies with Sion, apparently) - I actually agree with Jem tho Ciz, don't worry bout pools unless you get another WA player cuz YOU GOT THIS

:phone:

I think pools are still subject to change, kinda crossing my fingers that they do change ~ ! lol. They haven't posted the pools yet, vish.
It's just weird to have that kind of format at a national. Thinking about it ... round 2 pools at apex would pretty much be like round 3 pools at genesis 2. Since it's only the top two seeds getting out, i would imagine round 2 pools having players that are pretty well known. Which is why I DREAD that possible situation where you have a 2-1 three way tie with somebody getting the good ol greeze XD

Also, im tryin to get some good mm's in next week before we fly out!
these pools wont be like r3 pools at genesis. theres only 4 ppl in each pool and only 2 rounds, this suggests that the bracket will prob be huge (64 man). cuz theres gonna have to be a **** ton of pools left by round 2 if all rounds are done in this format. basically, hella pools since its like 250 ppl, 2 rounds, 2 making it out each time. r3 at genesis was like 7 players all super stacked. this will prob be like 2 good people in r2, 2 no names. sadly all u guys are no names and might have tough pools still.

this is what i think.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I just wouldn't have gone if I knew it was gonna be like that.
You have to be joking me. You wouldn't have gone to Apex if you thought pools were gonna be small? Are you that resigned to losing to someone who's theoretically better than you? You're gonna run into tough players in pools no matter what, and 2/4 is the same ratio as 4/8. The only difference is that the increased likelihood of 3-way ties makes it so that underrated players have a BETTER chance of making it out, not a worse chance (pull ONE single upset victory and you can make bracket, as opposed to beating a bunch of top players in your last pool)

What happened to "I'm gonna beat Shane/Teddy/Otto" Ciz? C'mon you and I both know you're good enough to beat almost every player who's gonna be there save for like a single digit number of them. And because the pools are so small, you'd only need to beat 1 or 2 to advance in pools/to bracket, mathematically.

Anyway, I agree with Otto. R2 is gonna be 2 1st seeds and 2 2nd seeds - realistically speaking, if you make it into R2 with a 2nd seed, all that means is you have to pull ONE upset to make bracket. You know how many people you would've had to upset at Genesis2 R3 pools to make bracket? >_>; For me it was like AT LEAST 2 or 3, and that was to get into bracket with a ****ty 4th seed...

C!Z

Smash Lord
When I got the airplane ticket I was expecting go to a big ”smash” tourney. I had to take off 3 days of work, for what? So they can run MvC3,MK9, SF, hide and go seek, and who the hell knows what else. It's just disappointing and I wouldn't have gone had I known all that. It's an expensive trip for one day of smash.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, that is true. Pretty much all the melee will be done by Friday. It'd be awesome if someone from WA got top 8 but it sure as hell will be difficult.

I agree though, Apex should be a smash-centralized tournament and they're focusing on other games like Mortal Kombat, UMvC, Pokemon etc. (Not to hate on those games or anything.)

At least you'll be able to get a **** ton of practice in on saturday/sunday.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I feel it ciz.

with that format bracket has to be about a fourth of the people there.

and vish don't worry about your seeding, it will be fine.

good luck u guys.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
That makes more sense. I thought you were saying you wouldn't have gone if you knew the pool format was 2/4 instead of 4/8.

Well, on the bright side I'm sure there will still be a ton of melee on Saturday and Sunday in the form of friendlies/mm, and with really good players at that; I doubt it's gonna be a wasted trip. In a sense it's kinda neat that all of our important tourney matches will take place soon after each other; no chance to lose warmup.

Maybe I'm just an optimist lol.

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be especially worried about my seeding if it were a West coast side tourney, I'm decently known to not be a no name.. but over thurr I dunno if my name would ring a bell or not. @_@

It's cool guys, I'm pretty sure we can beat most people if we're playing our A-game. There's only a handful of people who would 100% beat us. The others, while not in our favor, are doable. =D

The side tourneys are a bit ridiculous honestly. I'm hoping the lack of entrants will make TOs cancel most of them.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, it'd be cool if they dropped some of them to make pools better.

Good luck everybody, hope you all get manageable pools. :p

Oh and Chibo actually entered melee singles. If he gets in your pools just know that he's going to either be free or plank for 8 minutes with puff, but still get hit and be free lol.

Darkspines22

Smash Cadet
I hate being grounded. Especially for 4 months straight.
Becuase that means no smash. :(

ANd then getting YOur facebook page taken over by a stupid parent also sucks.
Just sayin.

yea side tourneys and small pools def ruin apex for me. same with seding from placing at other tournaments. not entirely but yea. i think only like 50 something ppl registered for all side events put together tho. hopefully theyll just run a normal melee tourney.

MasterC

Smash Ace
^yea I wasn't quite sure how/why they decided to seed from previous regionals :/

I guess its good in theory but I know not a single WA melee player made it to GC guy's SoCal TP which was supposed to help seed for Apex...

Fu** parents, kline you still got the house/whip on lock?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Oh and Chibo actually entered melee singles. If he gets in your pools just know that he's going to either be free or plank for 8 minutes with puff, but still get hit and be free lol.
LOL that match is hilarious

Yeah I hope I have a pool with that guy so I can double 4-stock him

BladeWise

Smash Lord
Anyone wanna play tomorrow night? I'll be arriving back home around 9pm if all goes well. Hopefully I won't be too tired. I'm really eager to get some Apex practice.

Darkspines22

Smash Cadet
either your parents are *******s or you deserved it.

wtf did you do to warrant 4 months of parental arrest and fb lock down.

i actually don't know. lol.

i mean like.... meh. I get grounded alot. Kinda usual. Suck though.

BladeWise

Smash Lord
pools will be up in the next few days.

Telling u guys right now we are leaning towards more pools to even out the number from 6-7 ppl per pool to around 5 for the first round.

Apparently not set in stone yet.

64 for 64 (2nd most entrants in a tourney)
308 for Melee (also 2nd most, with Pound 4 first at 347)
394 for Brawl (smashing the old record of 303 set by Axis Gaming back in 2008)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sounds good. Once again, good luck WA.

Are they going to have set commentators for the melee events? Does anyone who who will be or will trying to be commentating?

Eggz

Smash Hero
so whos consumin copious quantities of cocaine after the tournament with me?

play your cards right and you can hit a line off my ****

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Kline being a negative nancy as usual. Just cuz you can't level up doesn't mean me and Ciz haven't been loool

Also what's the 1st highest for 64? Japan had a 92-person 64 tournament last year haha so I wouldn't be surprised if they've had several above that number.

MasterC

Smash Ace
Wowwwwww APEX is gonna b FREAKING MASSIVE, get hyyyyype :D hope you guys smash on everyone and happy new years!!

Also, confirming ciz's bet from last night although we were both drinking quite substantially haha

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
toph tryna stay on ciz's good side lol. I have faith in my boy, but he took the bait. there iz a very good chance ciz has to accomplish this by next gc.....yet april is the d line.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I forgot about the manifest lol... I thought I was getting 3 tries... **** lol. Tryna make it a gentlemans bet and extend May, Charles? =P

MasterC

Smash Ace
Man you kno ily and I'm not tryna take your $$ all lame-o status :p you got till June aka Graduation, my dude

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Aw you so nice chahlee <3
Too bad I'mma be ahead of c!z in the pr by June. ;)

Top Bottom