• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Excuse me?
Link better than Jigglypuff?
What's next?
she'll become even worse than ganondorf?
Gtfo of there.

So yeah, Ics got a class of their own now.
It's cute.

EDIT: So can't we also have a list of the character's popularity from major tourneys?
Unless it goes with the upcoming match-up chart of course.

M@v

Subarashii!
I have ZSS->toon in the same spots and order they are here (9-13), but I have them all as high tiers >___>.

Also I'm convinced most BBR people have never faced a competent jigglypuff. I'm not saying she's good, because she's not. But she should not be dropping <____<

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
TarexTheRex is sad for Yoshi being downgraded. As for myself...poop.
I don't think he realizes that I'm of the position that Ness should be lower on the tier list, cause he said me spamming "flaoc" all day caused ness to rise above yoshi Xd

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
Called ICs at 2nd. So broken w/chaingrab, even without they space quite well.
Falco being under Marth or Snake is an atrocity against humanity.
I'm going to pretend that Marth moved down two instead of up. Who the **** voted for Marth as worthy of going up? His results are the exact. Damn. Same. As. Every. Other. Freaking. Time. Period.
Also, I still don't understand why Sonic isn't low tier. #srsly

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic is garbage, but surprisingly resilient. Ness needs to move up alot more though.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I just remembered that multiple people have told me they read my posts with an Australian accent, and now I'm just thinking "****, what have I done"
Well.... I'm happy I didn't read it in an Australian accent then. God that would have been horrible.
Called ICs at 2nd. So broken w/chaingrab, even without they space quite well.
Falco being under Marth or Snake is an atrocity against humanity.
I'm going to pretend that Marth moved down two instead of up. Who the **** voted for Marth as worthy of going up? His results are the exact. Damn. Same. As. Every. Other. Freaking. Time. Period.
Also, I still don't understand why Sonic isn't low tier. #srsly
I don't think a single BBR person who voted Marth above 6th has said so yet.... So I'm really starting to get confused as to how he got that high.

M@v

Subarashii!
I don't think a single BBR person who voted Marth above 6th has said so yet.... So I'm really starting to get confused as to how he got that high.
I don't crunch the numbers; just vote. But I put him as 8th on my list. Would be higher, except MK, and Ice climbers (That matchup is NOT easy compared to popular belief). Marth doesn't play perfect=bad things happen.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sorry WHOBO is doing low tier this time, but its still MK banned, so all those characters that dont belong in mid tier will still have a shot.

M@v

Subarashii!
Hope Whobo has their mid tier tourney with this tier list. Only good thing to come out of this tier list :smash:
"i GUARANTEE this tier list will not be used at WHOBO. if i do use it, it would be the low tier section only."

Straight from the source on that, so no DDD for you...DDD :p

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*looks at tier list8
Okay MK is top as usual.
Wait...Ice Climber's are 2nd place? I mean...okay maybe I can see it. Kind of a stretch personally
And they have their own tier list? Now people are smoking some **** for sure.
DDD, Lucario and TL are considered upper mid!? AH HAHAHA
Mario and Samus in the same tier as Ganon?

Thanks for the laughs, where's the actual tier list?

Not even gonna touch Marth. IMO he should still be 7th and not top 5 as he's remained relatively static in his results.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Sorry dude, DDD/GW/LUCARIO/TOONLINK are NOT mid tier and never will be, no matter what the BBR say.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
One of the main benefits to all the subsections in mid tier is that people can choose where to start their mid-tier and low-tier tournaments at. Would you rather have them all in the same tier? Because honestly, looking at the point gaps, it makes more sense to put Lucario's tier in upper-mid than in high, and I don't think most of us see Lucario and Peach as equally-viable characters and would be more outraged if they were all in the same tier. And tbh, none of those characters (Luc/D3/TL) do well enough against MK to be considered high tier :/

People are making a really huge fuss over minuscule things when it comes to this list imo, it's not like we did anything outlandish based off of the data (community vote was fairly similar to the BBR vote btw). It's unfortunate that we had to just go off of votes this time around though. If we still had someone keeping track of character usage I'd just weight the MU chart off of usage and call it a day, but there will be flaws with any process.

:059:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
People always had the choice to include/exclude whoever they wanted to when hosting mid tier/low tier tournies. You know, like Xyro hosting a mid tier tourney at WHOBO4 and using an outdated tier list

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
I'll just post my opinion

M2K's tier list opinion:

1st-2nd: Metaknight / Ice Climbers
3rd-4th: Olimar / Diddy
5th: Falco

> (these are clearly the top 5 characters, imo)

6th-7th: Snake / ZSS
8th-9th - Pikachu / Wario (yeah I think these 4 chars can be very close)

10th - Fox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAM2LJwvmGE if anything Fox is higher than this at least vs MK; he's just really bad vs Pikachu and ICs chain grabs.
11th - Marth (yeah I think he is overrated, and my credentials are playing every top marth in either tourney or friendlies or crews , and bunch of friendlies vs each, never lost a set or never lost majority of friendlies to any marth, and I think people don't exploit him as well as he can be).
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-swf-tier-list-v8.335959/page-6#post-15473734
12th - Pit (USA is REALLY BAD with this character)
13th - Lucario
14th - GW

15th - Wolf / Toon Link / Sheik (very underrated character imo)
17th - DDD (everyone outcamps him; this is a huge flaw imo)
18th - Rob

Rest are pretty bad and I don't know the order, but Samus is underrated (the best samus in japan is REALLY good and took 3/10 games off my MK; and i BEAT their top players most of the time outside of earth and 9b and otori and me are 1-1 in sets and didn't play friendlies at srt but i won them at apex, Samus lives a LOT and her Zair is really really really safe if you're patient with it. Peach is also overrated).

Btw guys , if you wanna make games with me, or just follow me in the future for anything i do (mostly smash or making games), send me a message on my fanpage that I'll be using a lot more soon. (see my sig).

edit:lol okay my sig didn't show, but please go to all these links and Subscribe/etc to them all: https://www.facebook.com/mewtwoking/info
Can you elaborate on your placement of lucario? I imagine he is advantageous vs pit and pikachu although there are lower ranked characters that have a good matchup vs lucario (like d3)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
People sure don't know how to read

The rules we applied were the following:
-No single character tiers past top tier.
-For the top tier (S-A), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.
-For high and upper mid tiers (B-C), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.25.
-For mid tier and below (D-F), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.5.
-Sheilda was fixed in place directly above Sheik, as the benefits to the combination make that entity marginally better.
The gradual increase in character gaps was implemented under the assumption that we can be less specific about character potential as we move to the lower parts of the list. Those characters are typically represented significantly less at a high competitive level than their higher tiered brethren.

Finally, the tier list allows for more freedom for mid and low tier tournaments, as for the first you could opt to also include at least the C- tier, whereas for the latter you could opt to include the lower mid tier.
This list tried to be objective as ****, considered EVERYTHING and was strict with its own rules, it says what precise actions were taken, and people still complain about how it MATHEMATICALLY resulted.
Ohwell.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if it's just about how they were named rather than actual conflict on their positions.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
And tbh, none of those characters (Luc/D3/TL) do well enough against MK to be considered high tier :/

Hey now, it doesn't stop Wario with his bad MU against MK, DDD, and Marth. If were talking MU's i'd say Lucario's got the more closer to even MU's in comparison. Dude's definitely high tier material.

But ey.
I ain't gonna make a big stink about it anymore.
Not like it changes the character I play or anything.

Just a bummer considering I know he's good enough to be high tier. If he's good enough to make it there, then that means the blame falls on the players for not being able to get him there. Ya know?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
DDD is good vs a lot of the worse characters cuz he can chain grab them

But idk I just feel lucario is really good overall.
Please tell me you're not planning to balance a fighting game with reasoning like this >_>

Yeah, D3 is pretty good against a lot of the worse characters. Guess who you're not going to see in tournaments? Those bad characters. There goes D3's niche. I can't really say much on Luc because you gave nothing to begin with lol, you're entitled to your opinion though. Trela is also godlike.

Hey now, it doesn't stop Wario with his bad MU against MK, DDD, and Marth. If were talking MU's i'd say Lucario's got the more closer to even MU's in comparison. Dude's definitely high tier material.

But ey.
I ain't gonna make a big stink about it anymore.
Not like it changes the character I play or anything.

Just a bummer considering I know he's good enough to be high tier. If he's good enough to make it there, then that means the blame falls on the players for not being able to get him there. Ya know?

That's fair on Wario, but the numbers just don't support him moving down with that group :/ and when you look at representation worldwide, there are top-level Warios in NA/SA/EU/Japan, and top-level Lucarios in... Trela lol. Not saying the lack of rep makes a character worse because it doesn't, but it might have influenced where some people put him on their votes.

FredFuchs

Smash Apprentice
Please tell me you're not planning to balance a fighting game with reasoning like this >_>

Yeah, D3 is pretty good against a lot of the worse characters. Guess who you're not going to see in tournaments? Those bad characters. There goes D3's niche.

He does have his advantageous mus against :wolf: :marthmelee: :wario: :lucario:. his only mus that are actually really bad are :metaknight: :olimar: :iceclimbers:. i'm not sure about :pikachu: however. :falcomelee: for me isn't that bad, just really annoying

Ginamudkipz

Smash Cadet
MARTH ZOMG TOP 5 WTF REALLY? NO RESULT! FALCO BETTER AT EVERYTHING! WHAT THE **** LUCARIO 13th REALLY M2K?
> This thread condensed

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
yeesh you guys you're giving me a lot of material for a new video

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Ish - if i was to balance a game I would actually PLAY those characters. I don't play Lucario vs <insert random MUs>, so I'm not going to just lie and make up something, I'm just going to say exactly what I think instead of lying. If I had a reason to play lucario (such as if he was a better character and useful for tournaments for me), then I would, and I'd give educated opinions of MUs related to him.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Marth too high as always, ZSS too low as always, IC probably don't deserve their own tier, at least wolf is higher than fox. (Why is peach below ROB zzz)
Luigi still not low tier confuses me, he's actually terrible.

People still underrating Snake though nobody plays him so I can't really complain.

Top Bottom