• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Lucario Guide/FAQ/Database. XD Sorry I haven't updated in while! Soon!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Double team is only good when you're on the ground and know your opponent is about to attack.

As for his approach, you can "Psuedo-Shffl" Lucario's DAir, DAsh attack, or Jab Combo. Utilt is beastly good too.
-DD

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master

Remian

Smash Rookie
I also main Lucario, so I would like to be added to the list.

I found that while Lucario lacks any noticible meteor smashes, his dair has a tendency to knockback torwards the side more than down, especially while comboing off the air. Also, I found a good tactic in the early game is to use is running attack and then chain grab with his forward b. The forward b produces very little knockback early in the game and can be easily chained for some good early damage. I had a game where I pulled this off to maximum effect. Lucario's forward grab is a great late game tactic, as it produces decent enough knockback to acquire a KO.

Using Lucario's nuetral b to edge gaurd has been used to good effect, especially when percentage is high on him so the multipliers stack up. Lucario is the most fun I've had in any Smash game for quite a long time.

EDIT: I also found that using double team in the air when anticipating a combo can be a trippy thing for the opponent. Double team can be repeated with little to no lag, as the lag time is added to the animation of his pose, so there is no noticable opening and the only thing to opponent can do is just attack. Spamming double team in the begging is a not so good tactic, but I've used it against noobier opponents to do a quick accumulation of good damage, and when I messed up, I was able to gain percentage to use in the multipliers.

Fabes

Smash Rookie
Add me to the list!!!!

at first i didn't like lucario at all but i stuck it out and learned how to use him and now i cant put him down. Thanks for making the guide, it has helped me a lot and given me things to work on

also, and i dont know if this was covered., but if you do the force palm up close and personal he actually grabs them and then palms them for greater knockback. its not much, it ads about 3-4%

themitey1

Smash Cadet
I havn't tested out the force palm that much, but is it possible to do different stuff when you grab them? or is it just always a forward throw?

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
To themitey1: It's just a forward throw, though a good one for racking up damage thanks to that chain grab (I have to thank this thread for that, never would've thought that move would be a chaingrab at low percents).
To DarkDragoon: I intend to main Lucario as soon as I manage break some bad habits from melee, so please add me next time you update that section. Thanks in advance.

bLaiS

Smash Cadet
amazing guide, im picking up lucario as an alt. ALSO the Pit(Light) v. Lucario(Forte) have been removed from youtube.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
4 Aces, to get the fifth target test you have to finish classic once on intense or twice on very hard if I remember right.

Bendery

Smash Cadet
San Diego, CA| Aim: Bendery Abriel| 4 stock, no it
I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, so forgive me for not reading 25 pages. But has anyone noticed that Lucario's Dair can be performed without leaving the ground? Try it. jump and quickly hit down on the Cstick, you'll do it double stomp without really leaving the ground, giving you an instant recovery.

I've been able to combo this with Dsmash at low percentages for a start to a match. Careful though, you have to be really close for it to hit.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
since I don't see this mentioned and its not in the guide, Lucario's nair has 0 lag if you land during its animation. Thus, catching a low percentage opponent in this in a shorthop can lead to a AAA combo or utilt pop up.

Once again, 0 lag. It doesnt matter if you land at the start or the end of the animation.

So, if you are going to land in a bad spot, throw out an nair, clear some room and follow up with whatever you need.

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Guys just one question that isn't clear enough for me. Does Lucario's strength change just at 200% or is that the let's say most notable change?

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
That is just the most notable change. His damage modifier increases slightly with the amount of damage he takes.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
since I don't see this mentioned and its not in the guide, Lucario's nair has 0 lag if you land during its animation. Thus, catching a low percentage opponent in this in a shorthop can lead to a AAA combo or utilt pop up.

Once again, 0 lag. It doesnt matter if you land at the start or the end of the animation.

So, if you are going to land in a bad spot, throw out an nair, clear some room and follow up with whatever you need.
This is great stuff. What about landing Nair to Force Palm grab or even just a normal grab throw? I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that can be done from this move.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, so forgive me for not reading 25 pages. But has anyone noticed that Lucario's Dair can be performed without leaving the ground? Try it. jump and quickly hit down on the Cstick, you'll do it double stomp without really leaving the ground, giving you an instant recovery.

I've been able to combo this with Dsmash at low percentages for a start to a match. Careful though, you have to be really close for it to hit.
Yea, its been known for a while. You don't really need to read the pages, just the guide(which I need to update in a bit).

It would be very nice to see some GIFs of Lucario's ATs as well, namely Footstool Dair and >B chain throw.
Well, I can't guarantee the same quality as the other ones, but I'll see what I can do tonight.
I'll do the IDAir, Psuedo-Shffl, Force Palm Chain, and a couple other little tricks.
Heck, I might just make a YT video.

This is great stuff. What about landing Nair to Force Palm grab or even just a normal grab throw? I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that can be done from this move.
Well, NAir has a good amount of knockback depending on where the enemy gets hit, but its safe to say you can't and shouldn't force palm out of it, unless they're in close enough for the Grab to work. AAA>UTilt Combo is better out of landing, or even an FSmash, or Aura Sphere if the enemy is charging you.
-DD

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Thanks!

When you make the vid, can you please not just do a normal fsj from above for the IDair, but actually do it with an instant fsj? That is getting in real close and double-jumping really fast? I need good reference of this technique for showing on the tactical discussion boards.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Thanks!

When you make the vid, can you please not just do a normal fsj from above for the IDair, but actually do it with an instant fsj? That is getting in real close and double-jumping really fast? I need good reference of this technique for showing on the tactical discussion boards.
:p If I did it from above, my timing would be all of, because Lucario's FSJ is so high XD!
I should have the video ready tonight or tomorrow night.
-DD

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
I like playing as Lucario, but i often have trouble ko'ing.. any advice? Using his aura sphere is too situational to be reliable.. and his Fsmash and Usmash have quite a bit of lag and can be hard to connect with against fast characters.

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
I like playing as Lucario, but i often have trouble ko'ing.. any advice? Using his aura sphere is too situational to be reliable.. and his Fsmash and Usmash have quite a bit of lag and can be hard to connect with against fast characters.
Lucario actually has a lot of good KO moves. Some good moves are; DAIR, BAIR, NAIR(at higher percents), Forward Throw, Neutral B, and actually Down B. The only exception with his Down B is that you can not spam this move. Also to kill with it you will probably need a bit of Lucarios damage modier. Whenever I use this move it is usually on the oponents last stock. This way the knockback doesn't decrease because I haven't been spamming the move, and also it will probably catch them off guard.

Oh and To DD. When you add me to the list of Lucario mains, I should have a lot of videos of matches on youtube. While I am typing this I am trying to remember if you have a section in the guide of Lucario Matches. If you do then you could probably make a section called Morte. I probably have enough videos on YouTube that the section will be worth it. Most of my matches are against an Ike, Wario, Metaknight, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Marth. That is only because they are who the people who I mainly play against main.

Thank you for your time.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucario actually has a lot of good KO moves. Some good moves are; DAIR, BAIR, NAIR(at higher percents), Forward Throw, Neutral B, and actually Down B. The only exception with his Down B is that you can not spam this move. Also to kill with it you will probably need a bit of Lucarios damage modier. Whenever I use this move it is usually on the oponents last stock. This way the knockback doesn't decrease because I haven't been spamming the move, and also it will probably catch them off guard.

Oh and To DD. When you add me to the list of Lucario mains, I should have a lot of videos of matches on youtube. While I am typing this I am trying to remember if you have a section in the guide of Lucario Matches. If you do then you could probably make a section called Morte. I probably have enough videos on YouTube that the section will be worth it. Most of my matches are against an Ike, Wario, Metaknight, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Marth. That is only because they are who the people who I mainly play against main.

Thank you for your time.
Can you link us to your youtube account? I've been waiting for more Lucario vids for ages.

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
Yeah sure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Flanology101

That is my friends channel. He uploads all of the videos. You can subscribe to him if you want. We also played melee so we are not really that bad or anything.
Umm... Sorry about that post. That was actually me but I am on my friends computer and I thought that I was logged in. But yeah that is all of the videos and everything.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Were those wifi matches? Because your Lucario is a little slow to react sometimes. Like a lot of the time you just stand there and miss good opportunities to attack, or mess up critical timing. I guess it's the fault of the wifi lag, eep.

But it's very nice to see a decent non-Japanese Lucario for once. I'm glad that his voice isn't totally awful like I thought it'd be, but it's still nowhere near as expressive as the Japanese one. XD

And UGH! His star-ko sound! He doesn't howl anymore! BAWWWWWWWW!!!!

Also: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLKTNAU_bU

at 3:55, it's a footstool D-air! Awesome!

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
Yeah actually I don't play WiFi. Although Some are matches when we just got Brawl but I have won 2 mini (and by that I mean tiny) brawl tournaments. Yes I know that I do have some parts where I leave my opponent open. Although My friends recorder sucks so most of my good matches aren't fully recorded. Also I am just going to say this(yes I know everyone always says it please don't flame me) it is way too early in Brawl to get anything very good. I have only had the game for a week you have to remember. But thank you for saying that I have a good non-Japanese Lucario. And yes I am not Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1Ipv-UJKE

Lol amazing ending. It was definitely on purpose. : D

This is another match to watch if you want to see my Lucario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLKTNAU_bU&feature=related

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ok, in that vid on Lylat Cruise, you were in much better form. It's just that in those other vids I noticed that sometimes it looked like you just lost control, with Lucario just standing there or falling oddly in the air. Still, I love the Utilt juggles and good use of Double Team on occasion.

Another thing you could possibly work on: sometimes when you grab your opponent, you just stand there holding them as if you were thinking about what to do next. While you're figuring out the best throw to use, it can't hurt tap A a few more times to get in some extra damage.

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
Thank you. But I still need a lot of practice. I particularly like the fair to footstool jump FTW on the Lylat cruise match. The Finals weren't uploaded of that tourney. : (
But the matches were between me and Brian(Metaknight). I had to win 3 (because I beat him in brackets) and he had to win 4. I ended up taking the first two, he won the third and then I won the fourth. Oh and I just realized I am starting to sound cocky. I do not want to sound like that just so you know. I am by far not the best Lucario or anything. Please don't hate me and call me cocky or egotistical or anything. : (

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Quick question- been playing some, and I've noticed one thing that drives me insane- I can't kill unless my opponent is around 150-170% if I'm below 50% damage. Any tips on killing before any multipliers kick in, other than aura sphere edge guarding?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Thank you. But I still need a lot of practice. I particularly like the fair to footstool jump FTW on the Lylat cruise match. The Finals weren't uploaded of that tourney. : (
But the matches were between me and Brian(Metaknight). I had to win 3 (because I beat him in brackets) and he had to win 4. I ended up taking the first two, he won the third and then I won the fourth. Oh and I just realized I am starting to sound cocky. I do not want to sound like that just so you know. I am by far not the best Lucario or anything. Please don't hate me and call me cocky or egotistical or anything. : (
You don't sound very cocky to me.

And yeah, that win on Lylat cruise was really funny. XD Footstool jump is probably one of my favorite new things in Brawl, and will become really useful once people start learning how to apply it more.

07Brett07

Smash Rookie
To kill with Lucario look at my post on page 26(page before).

And thank you for thinking that I am not sounding cocky.

Oh and I am uploading matches onto Youtube right now. Subscribe if you want too.

IWantAKouki

Smash Rookie
Great guide, but your just missing one thing: to unlock Lucario, you don't have to beat Lucario with Metaknight in SE. You just have to win the fight. It works just as well if you play as Lucario and beat Metaknight

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
i have a friend who plays lucario. he thinks hes good but ive been trying to convince him otherwise maybe you guys can help me. ive seen in some matches that some lucario players seem to just roll dodge and spam aura sphere. Do you guys honestly think that that is how you play him or if that is a good way to play him?

you guys tell me cuz i dont know how to use lucario. maybe its cuz im a melee player but back in melee kids who did that were called noobs and they got ***** in tourney and otherwise. it seems its a little harder to punish now a days but does that mean they arent noobs. someone help please.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Brett, I'd misinterpreted that as being with a multiplier in general. Anyone have some tips to improve my edgeguarding? That would really help solve my problem, since it's something I've been having trouble with (most notably, how to place a dair to send them in the same direction).

Top Bottom