• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Lucario Guide/FAQ/Database. XD Sorry I haven't updated in while! Soon!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
i have a friend who plays lucario. he thinks hes good but ive been trying to convince him otherwise maybe you guys can help me. ive seen in some matches that some lucario players seem to just roll dodge and spam aura sphere. Do you guys honestly think that that is how you play him or if that is a good way to play him?

you guys tell me cuz i dont know how to use lucario. maybe its cuz im a melee player but back in melee kids who did that were called noobs and they got ***** in tourney and otherwise. it seems its a little harder to punish now a days but does that mean they arent noobs. someone help please.
If somebody can reliably rack up damage while avoiding damage by dodging and using projectiles, then that's actually intelligent defensive play.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
i have a friend who plays lucario. he thinks hes good but ive been trying to convince him otherwise maybe you guys can help me. ive seen in some matches that some lucario players seem to just roll dodge and spam aura sphere. Do you guys honestly think that that is how you play him or if that is a good way to play him?

you guys tell me cuz i dont know how to use lucario. maybe its cuz im a melee player but back in melee kids who did that were called noobs and they got ***** in tourney and otherwise. it seems its a little harder to punish now a days but does that mean they arent noobs. someone help please.
If it works, it works. I have found the Lucario's sweet rolling abilities to be helpful. Aura sphere is great and all but it is not the core of my damage. I use it merely used as a disruption. Sure it can KO, but most of my KOs are from melee combat. Lucario's Dair is more of his bread and butter. My play style is about rolls and air game, with some harass on the side. Brawl is a more defensive oriented game and Lucario has some nice defensive tricks. You should post a video of your friend playing or WIFI me and I can do it. A good way to learn is by trial and error and videos can help be objective.

PS going around calling people noobs is lame :urg:. Please keep the Smash community friendly :p.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
One way to counter the roll spam could be using an attack that hits around you in sequence- I used to do that to a friend of mine with marth's dsmash in melee, and catch him on the second swing. May not be the best idea, but it can break his rhythm. If he's dodging away from you, and not through you, try using an attack with slightly longer range, or perhaps fake him out and do a dash attack that would hit the spot where he will be? Again, not sure this is the best advice, but from personal experience (I play with people who learn the advanced techs, but never really used them well, myself included), this has worked for me in the past. An example for brawl is using Lucario's d-smash for the same purpose, just with different timing- as they roll around, they go straight into the hit. (If this is bad advice, just completely ignore it)

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
thanks for the response guys. i dont really have trouble beating him but he thought that he was good just because thats all he would do.

maybe i have a skewed vision of skill.

i guess ill let him play however he wants. i just figured after watching pro players like Azen or Bum that their is a more advanced or better way to play lucario. i guess not...? :urg:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well of course there is, that's only one way to play him. But most good Lucario players use a lot of grabs, dodging, aura spheres, tilts and Dairs.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
So far I've only played against other guys around here in my dorm, so I haven't yet played my own copy which was shipped to my house. That means I've had to rely on friends to play Brawl and can't really practice at my leisure.

I remember using Lucario for eight matches: one 1 on 1 match against a MetaKnight (which I won) and seven free-for-alls (4 of which I've won and placed 2nd in the remaining three). However, I am really liking Lucario based on what I have played. I found myself using mostly air combos, smash attacks, Aura Sphere every now and then with the occassional Double Team. Lucario is a beast to say the least. :chuckle:

If Lucario is only one of my many mains, can I still get on that list Lucario mainers? :)

AuraHammer

Smash Rookie
We should put all of these tatics on the first page. Doesnt that sound like a good Idea?

Im also going to play a guy who uses Marth. Any tips?

moocowmoo272

Smash Rookie
i have a tip. I was just playing an amazing marth who beat me the first time while I beat him the second. very close match. try rolling and shield grabbing constantly along with using aura sphere a lot. only use your air attacks when you see an opportunity. marth has a much better range. oh yeah, I am also maining lucario. put me on the list please.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay guys, I'm starting on a big update tonight/tomorrow.
Expect lots of match ups and general play styles added.

i have a tip. I was just playing an amazing marth who beat me the first time while I beat him the second. very close match. try rolling and shield grabbing constantly along with using aura sphere a lot. only use your air attacks when you see an opportunity. marth has a much better range.
No, Marth's range is less than Lucario's.
You just have to space it right, and an FSmash will dismantle Marths.
More on that later.

-DD

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
For your big update: make sure you revise the pros and cons section. Make sure to add "great evasive skills", "Excellent spacing ability" and "chain throws at low %" to the pros and "problems catching up if behind by a stock" to the cons. Also, damage % on attacks at 0% and 100% would be very helpful.

Keep up the great work!

Yup

Smash Rookie
Hey, you guys can add me to the mainers list here. Also I have some interesting matchs consistantly with ROB, I'm pretty good a facing him, but with out a shine move i'm kind of left in the dust by his laser ( sometimes I'll side step it but its hard to time) Any pointers on how to approach and deal with ROB?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
ROBs lasers are easy to see coming, and are not spammable.
They should not be an issue.

The spinning top is a bigger problem, because it eats aura spheres and sits around for a while.

The BEST way to cripple a ROB's offense is by picking up the spinning top, and then dodging him and spamming Aura Spheres. The only range he has at that point is his laser, which won't even kill you over 150% if you DI properly or have good dodge timing.

ROB's aerials, especially his NAir, need to be coaxed out and dodged before you attempt any aerial move against him. ROB's aerial priority is REALLY high, and the hit boxes are HUGE. Just jump at him in the air, air Dodge what is most likely his NAir, and then pummel with DAirs or whatever you prefer. The laser can only be used like, once every 10 or 15 seconds, and are usually only used when you're at a distance, charging your aura sphere. When he finally gets his top back, he'll be guarding it like crazy, so you can DAir him after faking him out by looking like you're going for it, and then get it once he flys away.

So yea, there you go. As long as the ROB player isn't some sort of ROB Genius, the match should be pretty much in your favor.

Also- As for Lucario's Fabled DAir Meteor- It exists! It can only be done to people hanging from the ledge, which is pretty much the maximum usefulness that the DAir can provide in that case.

I'll start working on it[The Guide 2.0] tonight!
-DD

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
So if someone is ledgehanging and you SHFF a dair, it could spike them?

Or is it more of a "they get pushed to the side/up and bounce down" effect? It seems odd that a move that doesn't spike would properly spike just because they are hanging on a ledge.

agentwaffle

Smash Rookie
Agent wants name on list......

and is there any way to beat Wario easily? My friend is kick *** with him, and I need to beat him more often.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, these PC's Im using kinda suck.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
So if someone is ledgehanging and you SHFF a dair, it could spike them?

Or is it more of a "they get pushed to the side/up and bounce down" effect? It seems odd that a move that doesn't spike would properly spike just because they are hanging on a ledge.
Ah, you're correct.
I did this on Final Destination the first time, so, since the ledges are already really weird, it looked like a spike/Meteor to me.

So yea, its a bounce off the wall/ledge to a KO.
-DD

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Lucario is soooo much fun I wanna be a Lucario main I guess LOL.

I'm looking forward to any updates because well... I'm too lazy to figure stuff out on my own LOLOL.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
:p Halfway done with the update.
I'll finish when I wake up.
-DD

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Ah, you're correct.
I did this on Final Destination the first time, so, since the ledges are already really weird, it looked like a spike/Meteor to me.

So yea, its a bounce off the wall/ledge to a KO.
-DD
Ok. That's what I figured; I spent a ridiculous amount of time in training trying too see if Lucario had a meteor, and I was pretty sure he didn't.

While I'm here, feel free to add me to the list of Lucario mainers (I'm kind of dual-maining Lucario and Pit, but I've wanted Lucario in the game since I played Diamond).

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've decided to make Lucario my "pet" character: not my main, but the character I spend the most time obsessing over.

Main is Lucas. Still, please add me to the list of Lucario users.

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
Without a KO projectile, Samus just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm going furry. Sign me up as a Lucario main, please.
Thanks for the guide, as well- having a compilation is extremely helpful.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Not "furry".

"Anthro" or "furitan".

Don't say furry unless you have a genuine fetish/role-play/fursuit interest, because using that term gets people confused about the different fandoms and can lead to misunderstandings.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
"so it has considerable Lag on both ends."

Alas, it does not!
Lucario's forward smash does have "considerable lag" on the front end, but after the attack, it is similar to marth's melee dtilt; you can do other things instead of watching the animation. I usually shield

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Not "furry".

"Anthro" or "furitan".

Don't say furry unless you have a genuine fetish/role-play/fursuit interest, because using that term gets people confused about the different fandoms and can lead to misunderstandings.
Furry is also an identity that doesn't have to involve fursuits and doesn't have to be a fetish. People can just identify with animal-like qualities and still consider themselves "furry".

Anyways, off topic.... BACK TO LUCARIO! RARRR!!!

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
I was just trying to be funny, but someone seems to complain every time I use the word 'furry,' so maybe I should stop. I apoligize for any confusion or off-topicosity that may have resulted from my comments.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Furry is also an identity that doesn't have to involve fursuits and doesn't have to be a fetish. People can just identify with animal-like qualities and still consider themselves "furry".

Anyways, off topic.... BACK TO LUCARIO! RARRR!!!
The correct definition for that is "furitan". or "anthro".

MysticKenji

Smash Master
"so it has considerable Lag on both ends."

Alas, it does not!
Lucario's forward smash does have "considerable lag" on the front end, but after the attack, it is similar to marth's melee dtilt; you can do other things instead of watching the animation. I usually shield
Wait...

IASA frames on Fsmash?

EDIT: Looks like there are some.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yea, I have that as part of my updated FSmash piece.
XD I'm too slow at these updates.
-DD

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
The correct definition for that is "furitan". or "anthro".

"Ask twelve different Furries what "Furry" means to them, and you're likely to get a dozen definitions."

anthro n.

An anthropomorphic character

furitan n.
1. A Furry fan who is not interested in any sexual content.
2. One who actively opposes sexual content. (See Burned Fur)

I tend to use the word "furry" as an umbrella term. I never knew what these words were until now. Thanks for helping me be more politically correct =D.

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
i haven't tried lucario yet but ive seen sum videos and if a zelda is air juggling lucario and lucario suddenly does double team, would lucario go behind zelda and hit or does his range not go that far or sumthing?

Milln

Smash Champion
i haven't tried lucario yet but ive seen sum videos and if a zelda is air juggling lucario and lucario suddenly does double team, would lucario go behind zelda and hit or does his range not go that far or sumthing?
I actually was wondering the same thing and tested it on WiFi the other day.

If Lucario is actually being fire juggled by a Zelda and you Double Team one, you will not get hit by the Din's Fire and you will reappear below where you were at about stage level and do a sliding kick (while still in mid-air) in the opposite direction you were facing. This means if you want to double team Din's Fire, you need to be facing away from Zelda so you can even have a chance of getting back on stage after the counter goes off. This can be done by doing a Turnaround Aura Sphere Charge and air dodging. Tricky, and not really worth it. Just air dodge Din's Fires and don't worry about Double Teaming 'em.

Top Bottom