• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official item discussion

rocky9494

Smash Cadet
I think the Blue Shell from the MarioKart games would be a cool AT. It could blow up the middle of the stage and you wouldn't get hurt.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I love items that can go bad on the user and have everyone nervous. Red shells are a loose example of this. When one goes off,, both players have to avoid an area until it disappears, too many times it's just a missed blaster shot or a stray attack that sets them off. The walking Bob-omb is a classic, I hope they throw in something similar but more unpredictable (I've heard of some kind of smaller Bullet Bill item...imagine if they fly around if not used)

However...Exploding crates and capsules, are not funny. They're frustrating, enough to turn off items as a whole.

This will never get in, but what if there's a phony Smash Ball? Break it open, and it'll explode, give the user a random negative effect, or even just break open with nothing but some confetti and a 'Boom' sign.

I've also wondered if they would ever try some seriously random item that divided the screen with a barrier. It's deployed, a line divides the screen, and characters are stuck on one or both sides of it, breaking a four-way into two duels or leaving two players with nothing to do but prepare for when it goes down. Can backfire, imagine boxing yourself in with a two-person team while your team mate is stuck on the other side picking daisies. Even more interesting is if it could be destroyed with difficulty, taking a Final Smash or an extreme barrage to break a section through with a big show of static and shattering to show that this is an epic event rather than an improvisation. I'd love to see a protected player get blown away by an attack that leaves his 'fort' in pieces. Even better would be sticking a motion sensor bomb or the like to it and using a projectile to set it off.

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
Maybe you have seen the new videos that show new gameplay and even new Subspace Emissary cutscenes. Well, in one of those movies, I saw how Donkey and Diddy were running through the jungle, fighting Koopas and Goombas to reach the goal. And while they were doing that, I saw how DK picked up a strange item that looks like the socket of a trophy and threw it at a Paratroopa and - it got turned into a Paratroopa Trophy! This really looks like one interesting way to get enemies' trophies in the Adventure Mode.

rocky9494

Smash Cadet
That trophy thing sounds cool. The lightning thing is awesome. I wonder if it replaces the Poison Mushroom.

Dinkmister

Smash Rookie
Apparently, exploding crates are back...in one of the E 4 all videos there was a huge explosion out of some square box. In another video I saw a better view of the box and it was smaller and had a yellow piece of paper on it with a picture of a fire on it. It looks much different than the regular box, so maybe it can be turned off.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Hey, I heard that there are Deku Nuts and Lightening Bolts in SSBB! I was thinking about those items being in the game...

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
Super Mario Bros. 2 Items

It looks like it could be the stopwatch from the original Legend of Zelda! Meaning that it freezes all the other players on the stage.
It also appeared in Super Mario Bros. 2, where it had the same effect. Still, freezing all opponents at once seems a bit too powerful... maybe it just slows them down.

You know, another nice item from SMB2 would be a Mushroom Block: You can throw it at enemies AND can use it as a footstep. It should be a bit bigger than the original ones, though...

Or the cherries! They will be mixed into the normal food, but if you pick up a certain amount of them, a star will appear.

Or the bombs! They will act similar to a Bob-Omb, only that they won't walk around and can be picked up even while they're flashing. (Another item that also appeared in Zelda)

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
yeah the clock has got me thinking too, it doesn't look like the stopwatch from SMB2, and i've never seen the watch in LoZ, so i would go for LoZ idea, besides, there aren't that many items from LoZ, the only one i can think of is the bunny hood, if there are more, please correct me.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
yeah the clock has got me thinking too, it doesn't look like the stopwatch from SMB2, and i've never seen the watch in LoZ, so i would go for LoZ idea, besides, there aren't that many items from LoZ, the only one i can think of is the bunny hood, if there are more, please correct me.
Heart Container. Thats the only one I can think of, including assist trophies.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Your Hero said:
and i'm sure you all noticed the Stopwatch in last night's update, right?

Lol I was going to post that here :[(Note how I changed who I got the quote from :D)

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Awesome item/stage idea...

I thought that it would be cool if the Freezie item could interact with the water on some of the stages. Maybe you could throw the freezie off the side at the Delfino stage and the water on that side could become frozen for a while, and slippery (think UFO on Fourside).

what do you think?

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
yea the idea of items in smash lays the basis for y it was fun in the first place, once it got past that it got competitive so now no one uses them : ( but they still play a fun part in when u wanna play just for kicks ;)

i_eat_fried_worms

Smash Cadet
While looking around on the Smash Bros site, I noticed some items that didn't seem to have been released by Sakurai yet. If you look at the party ball pic, you see a green shell, a bob-omb (probably suggesting their return), some weird clock, and you might want to double check, but I think I see an anti mushroom. Also, if you look at the training thingy, you see a soccer ball. Lastly, on the smart bomb message, there is electrode (a pokemon). I wonder what the not-yet-released items do and if they will be included in the final version...

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I'll bet the soccer ball is going to be among some general sports equipment items, like maybe to represent the Mario Sports games, or the Wii Sports/Wii Play, etc.

It would be awesome if the characters kick the ball when they use it, like maybe they hold it when they grab it, and then when they use it, they dropkick the ball. Even better, maybe when a character grabs it, they dribble it between their feet until they give it a hard kick as an fsmash.

As for the stopwatch thing, I would bet that it stops everything for a few short seconds.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I'll bet the soccer ball is going to be among some general sports equipment items, like maybe to represent the Mario Sports games, or the Wii Sports/Wii Play, etc.

It would be awesome if the characters kick the ball when they use it, like maybe they hold it when they grab it, and then when they use it, they dropkick the ball. Even better, maybe when a character grabs it, they dribble it between their feet until they give it a hard kick as an fsmash.

As for the stopwatch thing, I would bet that it stops everything for a few short seconds.

You don't hold a soccer ball and you dribble a basketball, you silly goose.

EDIT:: what part of chicago are you from?

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
killbeast301 should really clear up the original post - this IS the Official Item Discussion.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26644.html
Watch 1:33-1:37, Donkey Kong gets a Smash Token and turns Koopa into a Trophy.
I'd like to coin the name "Trophy Token" - can anyone speculate whether it'd be in Multiplayer matches, and act similar to a "Freezie"? They suffer huge knockback whenever they're in Trophy form - but you can shake yourself out of it?

Top Bottom