• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomero

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm trying to get really good with Marth to counter my room mate who spanks everyone with Falco. His skill is nowhere near the videos I've seen, but he was better than me. Up until now (he curses the day I started playing Marth). But I still want to get better as he still beats me every so often.

One thing I noticed in the videos is Marth taking a very, very short hop and doing his air neutral a attack. I tried practicing this but to no avail. I tap the jump button as quickly as possible, and he still jumps his full height. I've only seen him hop once or twice from a quick tap (and believe me, I'm tapping insanely fast and very lightly).

My question is, how do you guys do it? What kind of controller do you use, which button do you press, and how do you press it? I use a platinum wavebird and I am wondering if it's not the best choice because the taps and resulting hops aren't consistent.

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

-Jomero

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Just keep practicing. Once you break in your controller and the X/Y button doesn't push down as far, it should be easier to short hop. If you are truly pressing it insanely faster and lightly, there's not much you can do except practice.

For jra64: You could just go to mushroom kingdom and then compare then to Mario (he's exactly average weight), but the statistic list is probably quicker.

If you are really good, a DK and Peach team would be good, because DK could headbutt, and then Peach could dsmash for insane damage.

Jomero

Smash Rookie
Thanks bluelion. Yeah, this controller is pretty much brand spanking new. Sigh. Guess it's going to be a while.

Nemesis Enforcer

Smash Journeyman
I am be no means one of the best at this game, but I will try to offer my advice to short hopping.
Go to training mode.
What I do is barely tap the button on the side (ie: my thumb is not completely mashing the button, more like grazing the edge of it). Does that help?

bluelion20

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble with the HRC. I'm trying to get 4000 feet with Ganondorf, but I can't land the RWP. I'm quickly double jumping, smash throwing the bat up, tapping left, and then charging the warlock punch. The bat hits the bag and then the bag goes over his head, OR Ganondorf hits the bag, but it goes left instead of right. Here's my strat:

-dair
-usmash
-dair (81%)
-2 bd's w/ l-cancels
-RWP(150% before, 202% after)

Its just getting the WP to hit in the RWP. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, my computer is slow

bluelion20

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble with the HRC. I'm trying to get 4000 feet with Ganondorf, but I can't land the RWP. I'm quickly double jumping, smash throwing the bat up, tapping left, and then charging the warlock punch. The bat hits the bag and then the bag goes over his head, OR Ganondorf hits the bag, but it goes left instead of right. Here's my strat:

-dair
-usmash
-dair (81%)
-2 bd's w/ l-cancels
-RWP(150% before, 202% after)

Its just getting the WP to hit in the RWP. Thanks.

Ungodly-Evil

Smash Apprentice
I think to hit the Reversed WP you have to stand sort a ' in the bag' when it hits (Like Jiggly's Rest move)

AnimeDuckie

Smash Cadet
Ack, c'mon? I need help with that. That's the only way I can complete my game! Muwhahahahaha

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Ahh okay thanks Ungodly-Evil, I guess that would make the difference between a RWP that goes Forward, or reverse.

To AnimeDuckie: You obviously didn't read my post. Use Jiggs and rest for event 51.

brentb

Smash Rookie
event #31

hey, I don't know if anyone else has had problems with this event. but my second time through the game i found myself stuck on it.

I know its a "points" battle, but Im not sure the most effective way to beat it. I've tried using Jigglypuff or mewtwo and avoiding all damage for Switzerland. but that didnt work.

i've tried sitting by the edge of the stage with kirby or Samus and racking up insane kills, but failed at that as well. Im wondering if there must be some sort of specific thing Im not doing to attain this very ambiguous victory condition.

beyond that, I usualy just use marth as a standard character for beating most of the event matches other than the oddballs, but it wasnt working great for me on this one. does anyone have any suggestions or Idea's on what im not doing? if so thank you.

Jaxo

Smash Rookie
I play Ganon and Jigglypuff all the time, and have a friend who pillspams with the Doc constantly. I know how to cancel them out with neutral A's, but I can't figure out how to advance after that to get closer. What would be the best way for both of these characters?

brentb

Smash Rookie

get lucky?

thats how I did it i guess. just try to run in there and get them.
get lucky and get bowser out of there right away, after that its much much easier.

little buster

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Jaxo
I play Ganon and Jigglypuff all the time, and have a friend who pillspams with the Doc constantly. I know how to cancel them out with neutral A's, but I can't figure out how to advance after that to get closer. What would be the best way for both of these characters?
i would try either jumping over the caps or rolling toward doc. i don't think WDing would be to helpful here

yay! first post!

phugface

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phugface
3DS FC
4742-6216-1302
I want to record some matches but my digital camera is ******. Can someone give me a link to some good video capturing devices. Preferably the ones that capture from VCR or something (I dont know much about it, but all I know is that it captures clear video and audio right off of the TV).

BlackLightning1

Smash Apprentice
^ i have the sane kind of problem, except my camera works, but i always get that **** line going through the screen

phugface

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phugface
3DS FC
4742-6216-1302
No, my fire wire port is broken. The problem you have has to do with the shutter speed. I dont remember he actual values, but you have to change it to something other than what it is on. Im going to take a guess and say 1/60 or something. That is what was wrong with my camera when I had that same problem.

Kirby King #3

Smash Rookie
I need help with this problem i have. Ok, see, i keep making all these cool User Names around here, and they get banned for some reason! And all the post i made, they got deleted! Its not fair!

Geo

Smash Ace
L-Canceling

My friends have finally found the use of shield grabs and this is seriously hurting my air game. I use Sheik, Falcon, Ganon and Jiggs and whenever I go in for an aerial to set up a combo they shield and when I land they grab me. I know I'm supposed to L-cancel but I can't get the timing right, is it done right before you land or is it done during the air attack? Or maybe both? Anyways if I do get the L-cancel down what do I do after that follow up with a grab of my own or maybe a smash. I just can't seem to react fast enough.

jrta

Smash Ace
l-cancelling feels different for each character because of their different fall speeds, but you want to l-cancel just about before you hit the ground. You just have to find a rhythm that works for you. After you l-cancel, you could sidestep the dodge or grab. Those are pretty good options, or you could do your aerials and land behind your opponent. That is a good way to prevent shield grabs as well.

*edit* For your characters
With sheik you should have low lag even without l-cancelling, but after you cancel you could just start tilting or what not. With falcon you could cancel into a grab or roll or into another aerial. With ganon you should knock them back far enough with your aerial that they will be out of range to grab you. And Jiggs can di away from them after hitting (WoP).

Mattey

Smash Cadet
After l-cancelling I usually neutral a if I'm playing a shield-grab happy opponent. Sidestepping and rolling are also good options.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Short Hop Fast Fall L-Cancel

Some call it shuffle or shuffled because it is an actual word, but people will know what you are talking about no matter which one you use.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
As far as I know, yes. Its pretty much a natural reaction for me to press it the whole way down, I doubt I could get the same timing.

So basically, I dunno, try it with Link and the dair.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Yeah, its just that most people use L to l-cancel, seeing as your right hand is tied up with the A button, B button, X and Y buttons, and the C stick and Z button. Your left hand just uses the control stick and d-pad (which is very rarely used), so its easier for most people to hit L rather than R.

jaymasterwizard

Smash Rookie
L-canceling

does L-canceling work with every char, and every move, for ex. bowser, he seems to have power attacks with long lags, if u can L-cancel he might be a viable char.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
It only works with aerial attacks. And you can only l-cancel the end lag of a move, not the starting lag. And, you can only l-cancel it if the animation goes through into when you land, so if the move has been completed, theres no point in l-canceling since there isn't lag anyway.

Sub Zippo

Smash Rookie
I would like to know all the differences between Mario and Dr. Mario, other then of course the fireballs/pills.

Thanks.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Doc is stronger knockback wise, they are both basically the same speed. Mario's cape is useful for recovery, Doc's isn't. Mario has a spike, Doc doesn't. Doc's sex gets stronger while it is out longer, Mario's (and everyone elses for a matter of fact) gets weaker.

Those are the main differences.

Nemesis Enforcer

Smash Journeyman
Mario's cape comes out faster than Docs, but both capes can be used for recovery. It seems to me that Mario is faster than Doc. Doc's attacks are stronger. Mario's faa spikes, Doc's doesn't (or at least I can't with it). And now for their biggest difference: Mario turns big for his taunt while Doc throws a pill up and catches it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom