• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
RULES:

Okay I think this is pretty self-explanatory...you have a question, and if for some reason the Melee Q/A doesn't answer it, then you post it here.

In other words......WHAT TO POST IN THIS TOPIC:

"Who should I use to beat event 51?"

"Can someone tell me the best way to beat Doc's BTT?"

etc.

Then other people post the answer to your question.

It's basic, really. Enjoy it.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
How do you simply set a bomb with Link/Y. Link? I've tried everything I could, but no dice... I've tried asking several times before with no answer, and I'd really like to know. Thanks!

Darkfire Marth

Smash Apprentice
-=CoWpYz=-

If you are talking about laying one of Link/Y. Link's bombs on the ground, then what you have to do is make sure to realese it when the character is right about to touch the ground. Basically, look at the character sprite and look and its feet. When you see the sprite overlap the ground so it looks like he's touching it but not standing, that is when you press Z.

BeeboW

Smash Journeyman
Kokichi, I didn't know that BBT was a playable character in melee. Lol, neither did I know that Doc was a respected player. Unless it's an inside joke...
Are there any strats for beating G&W, the last part of all-star mode on very hard?

Darkfire Marth

Smash Apprentice
-=CoWpYz=-

Heh, I guess I just feel like helping people today.

Well, part of it matters what character you are using and how many stocks you have left. If you have one stock you should be very careful about what you do. This stage can easily mess you up. Fourtunately you can use that to your advantage. If you're someone like DK, Mario/Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Kirby, or anyone who has a good back throw (Kirby can suck in and blow out instead), you can just use that since Flatzone is quite small.

If you are using someone else, then chances are you'd wanna try and group the computers (since their AI is so easy to trick) so that you can land a powerful hit like a smash. It shoudl usually send them off at around 50% if it's strong. Fox's Up Smash or Marth's Forward Smash are good examples.

You really need to be careful and watch everything that is happening on the screen. Normally a random crate or barrel spells defeat for me so basically keep an eye out for other objects.

JD44c8/USA

Smash Apprentice
Re: -=CoWpYz=-

Originally posted by Darkfire Marth
Well, part of it matters what character you are using and how many stocks you have left. If you have one stock you should be very careful about what you do.
Just a clarification here: The original poster mentioned "the last part of all-star mode," so it's safe to say that he only has one stock left. ;)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Okay, I've heard it a number of times and I still don't know what it means. What's wavedashing?

SLaKKiCHu

Mercury, Solace
BRoomer
Event 33, Lethal Marathon.

Could someone give me a hint or two on how to beat it? I'm stumped.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
48's pretty hard. I'd say use Roy's Smashes. You could also smash with Roy on 49. For 50, abuse Yoshi's midair run.

C'mon guys. Can't someone tell me what wavedashing is?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
In Event 33, hmm, you're stuck as Falcon, the speed is 2x normal, you're on a tight timer, the control stick must be jammed if you want to run, Falcon falls like a hammer, and if the cars even graze you, you're toast. Yeah, it just sucks.

There's not much advice to offer, but practice and get the feel of the unfamiliar control and/or character. It's not all that bad once you get the timing of the warning sign for the cars and get to the raised platform. I'm pretty sure Falcon can crouch in the angle of the "____/ platform to avoid the cars, if necessary.

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this is the best way to learn what wavedashing is, IMO. Go into training mode, select luigi, and put the speed at 1/4th. Start running forward, and pay careful attention to your character. Now jump.

What you should see, and this is important, is his knees bend slightly before he jumps, sort of a "warm-up animation" for him leaving the ground. If you press the L or R buttons, you'll do an air-dodge. Now, if you air-dodge back into the ground, your character (depending on who you are, but especially with certain characters, such as luigi) will slide instead of jumping.

The advantages of such a manouver are subtle, but they do exist. It sometimes allows you to travel faster than would otherwise be possible, it allows you to do small dodges backwards and forwards without the delay or distance of a roll, and it does this without changing your direction. Also, you can do just about any type of move while sliding along the ground, including smashes. This, in a sense, allows you to do a "running smash."

Edit: avatars can be changed in your settings page. Go into "User CP" (control panel) at the top of the page, select "edit options" tab, and the avatar setting is toward the bottom of the page.

IK_GOST

Smash Ace
Match videos on computer

How can I play smash and record myself on the computer to put it on this site. I really want to know please reply asap.

thanks.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
GOST, Why don't you just tape yourself and make it a thread to show? Its really that simple. Of course, I would have a reason for it first. (Use a camcorder, they seem to work well, lol.)

IK_GOST

Smash Ace
So i basically tape myself with my dads camcorder and do what. How do I get it into the computer.!!??!??!

Formula

Smash Apprentice
For Lethal Marathon, just dash through the course, and when the warning sign appears, keep running until you see a platform. Be very careful on the mid-air platforms though.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Originally posted by BeeboW
Kokichi, I didn't know that BBT was a playable character in melee. Lol, neither did I know that Doc was a respected player. Unless it's an inside joke...
Are there any strats for beating G&W, the last part of all-star mode on very hard?
Er ya, I meant BtT......lol

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Originally posted by IK_GOST
So i basically tape myself with my dads camcorder and do what. How do I get it into the computer.!!??!??!
Does his Camcorder have a computer link? If so you can hook it to your computer and use that program, I don't remember what its called, but it works...

BeeboW

Smash Journeyman
Morninthuna, just go to superjoppe's site. I'd say those vids are pretty decent.
Sas already explained what a wavedash is before your post Mr. Strategy. You jump, and then straightaway air-dodge back into the ground diagonally and you'll slide in that direction.
If you go to superjoppe's site and download either some mario/ice-climber movies, you will see them wavedashing all the time.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the official vids thread, but oh well...

In the SuperJoppe match vids, the Falco's seem to shorten the time that their reflector goes on for. How do they do this? Also, I think that in one of the Falco vs Falcon combos (or maybe Falco vs Falco combo) The falco does down b in the air, then kicks Falcon, so he doesn't go too high, then does up b to fininsh him off. How do you kick after the reflector?

EDIT: Oops, sorry guys, I just figured it out trying to do it. In case you guys want to know, you press up on the control stick after down b.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Mr Strategy
What is a wavedash!? I leave for 6 months and now I'm completely lost!
Read Sastophers post... It explains all about Wavedashing.

IK Ghost: I recommend either using a camcorder with PC hookup, or using a video capture card (such as the Dazzle line of products.) These let you connect anything with an A/V output to your USB port on your PC so you can record video and audio. Basically, anything that has those red, white, and yellow plugs, like a vcr, tv, dvd player, camcorder, video game system, etc. However, these can come for around $50 even up to $200, and while they're pretty nifty, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one for the mere purpose of recording Melee videos.
By the way, most video capture devices come with basic video editing software, and let you burn 'Video CDs' that work on newer DVD players.

Maestro

Smash Rookie
Hi there =) How do I get the bonuses: Flying Meteor and Lethal Weapon? Once I get those 2 I will have every single trophy but I just cannot for the life of me get them. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
I think a flying Meteor is when you do an air spike. (Down a in air, instant kill to doom below.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Shmooguy, the Falco users are probably jumping and immediately doing an aerial attack. I'm not 100% sure what you mean though but I'm pretty sure they are doing that. With Fox/Falco you can jump(and even wavedash) out of reflector. You can also jump out of shield with every character except Yoshi.

And for those of you who still don't know what wavedashing is it's this: jumping then the frame after your characters goes into the air you air dodge down towards the ground with a slight angle left or right. This causes you to slide along the ground. It's a good surprise tactic and sometimes better for moving around since you can do stronger attacks from a wavedash than a run attack(i.e. smash moves). The perfect wavedash with most characters would be they just slide along the ground without going into the air at all. When you get good with it, it's cake. Some characters, like Fox, make a noise when they jump/air dodge, so if you wanna get really good at it practice it until then don't make any sound at all just slide.

Hope this helps

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Um, thats an air dodge buddy...

A Wavedash is when you are running at top speed and then tilt to the other side, your character goes skids, and turns around, some peoples wavedashes are god awful (G&W, Shiek...) Some are pretty good. (Falco, Falcon...) And its usually good to transfer combos into.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Uh... no thats not a wavedash thats something else. Yea a wavedash does involve jumping and air dodging but it causes you to slide across the floor. Try it with Luigi: Jump then press L/R to air dodge TOWARD the ground with a slight angle left or right. You will slide and a good ways to since Luigi's wavedash is long (as is the Ice Climbers). What your talking about is sorta like dash dancing, where you run back and forth really fast in a small area. There will be a lot of smoke around you and your animation will be all messed up but its good for surprisig people because they don't know what your going to do.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
Heh, the people here call your Dash Dancing Wavedashing. I get what you mean though. Thats why I said that.

Haha Monkey

Second Children
BRoomer
I was gonna put this in the glitch topic, but it still is a "how to" question.
Does anyone know how to do the glitch on the first stage of adventure mode where you can somehow end up standing high up out of the top of the screen, on the cliff face which is on your left when you immediately start? I've seen it in several videos, including smashboi's but I remember him saying he didn't want to say how he did it...
I'm sure no character can reach it with just their normal jumps, and I've seen it with both fox and mario. At the start of the video it looked as if fox was coming out of a daze (as if his shield had just been broken) so that could have something to do with it. I have the PAL version so this probably won't work anyway but I'd like to know how all the same.

*Fuse*

Smash Cadet
it's also featured in one of superjoppe's vids...

apparently, fox CAN reach up there with just his normal jumps...

mario is a different story... i think you can triple jump, wall jump off, do your double jump, and your triple jump again to make it up there. not absolutely sure though, and mario was carrying a parsol at one point :p

Haha Monkey

Second Children
BRoomer
Ok I'm incredibly lame. I got it in my mind that it was a glitch, with some special way to do it. I just went with fox, waited for a bunny hood and then he can just make it when jumping from the pipe. I thought the cliff as a little higher than that...
But no one could make it without a bunny hood.

*Fuse*

Smash Cadet
lol... guess i'm wrong then. bunny hood does work wonders. i think poison mushroom would help as well?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I made a topic but noone replied.....does the side which you stand on (facing left or facing right) affect the length at which u can swing an item such as a beamsword due to which hand it is in?

The Marooner

Smash Apprentice
"Flying Meteor" Bonus

This question was asked a while ago. To get the Flying Meteor Bonus, you have to hit a flying enemy (as in still recovering from taking a hit) with a meteor attack. A good way to do this is on Brinstar. Have Kirby wait for the come up three times, then off the far left platform into it. While he is still reeling, hit him with some sort of meteor attack. It should kill him, and you should get the bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom