• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
You can use this to edgehog marth's if he's UB -> ledgegrab with fast fallers; shiek, cfalc, fox, falco are the ones I'm aware of, roll to the edge with your back to it and press Z, hold away from the stage and when marth Ub's he'll hit your shield and knock you onto the edge, make sure to let go of the control stick when you get hit or you won't grab the edge
It's risky. If you're light shielding and Marth sweetspots, you'll fall off the edge and be in a perfect position to be edgeguarded.

It's also good for wasting your opponent's invul frames. Just run around and then jump above a platform and wavedash down onto it, and buffer a lightshield. If they hit you, you'll fall off the platform, and if they try to grab you you can just jump out.

Also the reason people use full is because you can't really shield grab with light shield lol

Pi

Smash Hero
It's risky. If you're light shielding and Marth sweetspots, you'll fall off the edge and be in a perfect position to be edgeguarded.

It's also good for wasting your opponent's invul frames. Just run around and then jump above a platform and wavedash down onto it, and buffer a lightshield. If they hit you, you'll fall off the platform, and if they try to grab you you can just jump out.

Also the reason people use full is because you can't really shield grab with light shield lol
If marth sweetspots he grabs the edge any way?
Wow, my friend must not be able to sweetspot then...
are you sure about that?
I wouldn't doubt it too much, but I haven't ever had that happen to me

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
If marth sweetspots he grabs the edge any way?
Wow, my friend must not be able to sweetspot then...
are you sure about that?
I wouldn't doubt it too much, but I haven't ever had that happen to me

I didn't believe it but about half a year ago at a tourney Eggz was playing my friend's marth and killed him with a light shield and then he said "You know if you sweetspot the edge, that doesn't work."

Tried it in friendlies and it works.

Pi

Smash Hero
I didn't believe it but about half a year ago at a tourney Eggz was playing my friend's marth and killed him with a light shield and then he said "You know if you sweetspot the edge, that doesn't work."

Tried it in friendlies and it works.
interesting, i'll let him know

Eggz

Smash Hero
? lol
mario roy and marth can trade vertical distance for more horizontal distance by quarter circlin to over

ask someone else to explain it im too lazy

Grunt

Smash Master
do a1/4 circle from up (after upB) to forward. marth goes more left/right and less up.

stand on DK64 so marth's front toe is right where the slope meets the high flat part.
and normal up B will land you on the platform. normal upB with DI left-right, will also land you on the platform. but if you go upBforward, you miss the platform, and go over almost to the end of the stage.

i think this is what he means, i just tested it 2 seconds ago.

ajw tko

Smash Rookie
Ok I've got a question... *hrmmmm* Many a post/website refers to a characters priority. This I understand. All of the characters have differing priorities. My question is are individual moves ranked or is it just characters, and does anyone know a thread/website where these are ranked?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Ok I've got a question... *hrmmmm* Many a post/website refers to a characters priority. This I understand. All of the characters have differing priorities. My question is are individual moves ranked or is it just characters, and does anyone know a thread/website where these are ranked?
Individual moves.

I don't know if someone took the time to actually write it all up but you can tell just by picking captain falcon. His side B (raptor boost) has really bad priority, losing to even jabs, but some of his aerials have at least somewhat decent priority.

Vro

Smash Lord
I think there was an effort to list all the moves in priority order. There's too many.

ajw tko

Smash Rookie
Ok I have another one. I've noticed that most high tier characters are high weight/fall speed. Is this just a coincidence. Is it better to play with a heavier character, or is it a prefrence thing?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Ok I have another one. I've noticed that most high tier characters are high weight/fall speed. Is this just a coincidence. Is it better to play with a heavier character, or is it a prefrence thing?
heavy characters get comboed easier but its harder to kill them so its a tradeoff.

Its more of a coincidence though, top tiers are there because their moves are very good, not just weight.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
Unknown522 posting:

Fox / falco fall speed is sooooo broken. They make half the cast actually have to chip single hits at them (mid tier and below pretty much, unless they can CG them). CC is incredibly broken (falcon's weight too).

What most people don't know though is that fox is actually light. His fall speed is what's broken. Even roy's fall speed is awsome, but his moves actually just suck.

Fast fallers have an amazing short hop and reach the ground quickly. They attack without being in the air very long. A lot of fox's moves are mediocre, but combined with his amazing physics, his moves have become broken. Falco and falcon as well. It helps their pressure game a lot. Shine + lasers tops the cake.

Sheik's fall speed is awsome, though she is not that heavy. Her moves are awsome though and her up-b is good for everything except recovering. She CGs like half the cast though (but not the important characters), but that helps her a lot.

Marth's weight / fall speed suck. If he were a fast faller, like roy, then he'd probably be the best character in the game. His combo game is not as good because of his semi-floatyness. He also is easier to get baited by fast characters, because he is left wide open in between attacks. That's why also puff isn't that bad vs marth.

For high tiers, Puff has amazing air mobility and can avoid stuff really well. Puff's b-air is broken. So is rest.

Peach pretty much has her float and amazing priority.

Falcon's weight / fall speed is the only thing going for him. He can combo because he can reach the ground quickly.

I have to leave the fest I'm at, so I rushed the end a bit.

Grunt

Smash Master
4 stock
7 or 8 minutes timer
Random stages are usually
Final D
Battlefield
Yoshi story
Pokemon stadium
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams
Then after some one wins, the loser coutnerpicks a stage from either the original list, or one of These:
DK64
Mute city
pokefloats
rainbow cruise
brinstar
corneria
jungle japes
then winner picks a character
then loser picks a character.
then you play again and repeat from the counter pick part.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I've heard a few people ask the question "What button do you use to L-Cancel / Wavedash / shield" etc etc.

Why are people asking that? Does it matter? Does some weird game effect happen that is taken advantage of just by separating it that makes it easier for not screwing up OR does it just make it easier for like the human hand / eye / mind to not screw up?

Could anyone jump in their shoes and tell me why they're asking that usually and then the benefits? I do it all on the L-Button.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I've heard a few people ask the question "What button do you use to L-Cancel / Wavedash / shield" etc etc.

Why are people asking that? Does it matter? Does some weird game effect happen that is taken advantage of just by separating it that makes it easier for not screwing up OR does it just make it easier for like the human hand / eye / mind to not screw up?

Could anyone jump in their shoes and tell me why they're asking that usually and then the benefits? I do it all on the L-Button.
Some say that it is easier to use Y to jump because it is easier to get to the C-stick. L or R to shield and the opposite to wavedash. The assumption is that it is easier because you don't have to let the trigger all the way off and then press it back down again out of shield to wavedash.

But just like using the c-stick and everything else in smash use what works best for you. I use L for everything and I can wavedash out of shield just as great as anyone.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Some say that it is easier to use Y to jump because it is easier to get to the C-stick. L or R to shield and the opposite to wavedash. The assumption is that it is easier because you don't have to let the trigger all the way off and then press it back down again out of shield to wavedash.

But just like using the c-stick and everything else in smash use what works best for you. I use L for everything and I can wavedash out of shield just as great as anyone.
You don't even have to let go if you use one shoulder button to shield/wavedash. Just learn to depress it just before the click. Then to wavedash you just jump and depress it the rest of the way. Really not hard to get used to once you practice it.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
DK's down B is the easiest way to do it. Just position yourself under one of the lower platforms. Another way you could do it is rising pound stall with Jigglypuff.

Ghostly

Smash Cadet
Kokiri Forest or East Greenwich Rhode Island
Yeah. I know. I've never actually been on a forum and I just signed up this month. And I beat 15 minute melee with master hand lol. =) All I want to do is to to get all of the stages and characters and I did. (To tell you the truth, I got the gamecube and ssbm this month so I was a smasher at ssb n64)

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I heard that the cloud on Yoshis Story follows some pattern that makes it easy to predict if you have the timer on but I can't remember what exactly.

It was something like it crosses every 10 seconds or something...

Could anyone fill me in?

Vro

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Story - Cloud Pattern - Search does wonders.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the barrel pattern for DK64?

And a side question, is there any penalty to mashing the shield button for L-Cancels? Aside from the obvious "if you press it after you l-cancel you'll shield" stuff.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm trying out some secondaries and I was wondering if Falco can L-cancel his F-air. That would be really helpful.
Falco can L-cancel all his aerial attacks, the only character I'm aware that can't L-cancel some of his aerials is Game and Watch.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have a question. I have seen a couple of times that when you are lying on the ground near a ledge and roll towards the ledge, the character then grabs the ledge right after getting up. So its kinda like grabbing the ledge from the ground. I haven't done much tinkering but how do you do this?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. I have seen a couple of times that when you are lying on the ground near a ledge and roll towards the ledge, the character then grabs the ledge right after getting up. So its kinda like grabbing the ledge from the ground. I haven't done much tinkering but how do you do this?
Is it when there's an opponent right next to you? You know how sometimes you'll be right at the edge but since your opponent is so close to you he pushes you off and instead of doing, say, a dtilt you dair and fall to your doom?

I think it's something like that.

And a side question, is there any penalty to mashing the shield button for L-Cancels? Aside from the obvious "if you press it after you l-cancel you'll shield" stuff.
Don't think so, but I'd think that after a prolonged amount of time the finger you use for L-cancels would be tired as hell.

Vro

Smash Lord
If you hold shield while getting up left/right, you will get up and slide past the end of a platform/stage if you can meet it.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Anyone know a good way to practice ledgetechs by themselves?

I've heard of the Motion Sensor Bomb in Training Mode method, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing.
Roll to the edge, stick the bomb down, double jump off and, say, Fox Phantasm into the ledge?
I've tried this while ASDI'ing into the stage and teching but it never seems to work. I've tried all different tech timings, too.

Am I doing something incorrect? Just have terrible ledgetech timing? Or is there a better way?

Keep in mind I'm just looking for a way to practice it by myself to get more consistant.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Actually yeah, if you press L when you are too far away from the ground then you have to wait I think 40 frames before you can press again and have the attack actually cancel. It's just like ground teching.

So basically you can't just mash l and r and z at the same time.

EDIT: @F8. Go to break the targets for fox and falco and phantasm/illusion or up-b onto the glowing red and damaging parts. Press l just before you hit and you should tech. Keep trying this until you never die. That way you get the timing of pressing l down (or R) and it doesn't take any special situations. You won't be able to see the effects of asdi in 1-player mode, but practice c-sticking towards the "stage" anyway just to get in the habit.

Spife

Smash Master
Anyone know a good way to practice ledgetechs by themselves?

I've heard of the Motion Sensor Bomb in Training Mode method, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing.
Roll to the edge, stick the bomb down, double jump off and, say, Fox Phantasm into the ledge?
I've tried this while ASDI'ing into the stage and teching but it never seems to work. I've tried all different tech timings, too.

Am I doing something incorrect? Just have terrible ledgetech timing? Or is there a better way?

Keep in mind I'm just looking for a way to practice it by myself to get more consistant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWlGlf_tuKU&feature=channel_page

that video helped me. Sounds like you know what to do, but I think it's pretty useful (especially if anyone has any follow up questions on the subject).

Top Bottom