• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

metashinryu

Smash Ace
got a question:

do cpu in this game learn the stuff you do or something? like,i always train on a cpu lv4 link and hes shorthopping attacks all around and somtimes he l-cancels stuff,and most of cpu lv4 also does this when im training.

someone else have experienced this?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I've had CPU Fox's do unbelievably amazing shine spikes on me lol.
Yeah, but those just happen once in a long while. This CPU just plays like a human ALL THE TIME. He intercepts aerials with u-tilt and combos out of it on a regular basis. It's crazy.

Has anyone actually tried it yet? Or are people just passing it off and not listening? T_T;;

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Yeah, but those just happen once in a long while. This CPU just plays like a human ALL THE TIME. He intercepts aerials with u-tilt and combos out of it on a regular basis. It's crazy.

Has anyone actually tried it yet? Or are people just passing it off and not listening? T_T;;
I tried it using Falco.. he can't get past laser spam and doesn't use his bucket either.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman

Level 8 G&W does play like a human, at least the most a computer can.

Edgeguards with dtilt and ftilt (and sometimes dash attack lol) and occasionally run off uair. Pretty impressive, but even on Dreamland Falcon kills him at like 80 percent with a knee >_>

EDIT: Wow... this is actually pretty decent training for ledge teching.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I've had CPU Fox's do unbelievably amazing shine spikes on me lol.
>_<

EDIT: Wow... this is actually pretty decent training for ledge teching.
o.o
I'm about to try that...

Uh, I think up...? <.<;; Also, why is level 8 G&W a beast? It's ridiculous. He's like the only CPU that plays like a human. Try it out, seriously.

I was told this a long time ago and gave it no credit. Tried it out today and it's absolutely true. Level 8 G&W for top tier (of CPUs, anyway).
OMG no lie dude... I've been telling my friends all the time. Not only that but for some reason his UpB *****. Like I try to come down with a Falcon stomp... UP B! And then edgeguard. WTFHAX?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I heard Elen lost to him the first time he tried it XD Of course he came back and ***** him, but still. He lost the first one XD

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i havea a friend of mine who mains GnW,i bet he just stands there looking at what cpu GnW does to learn it,he just does all the stuff,but he shffls and all the stuff, its more annoying <.<

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Is Green Greens banned? I'm not sure if the stage list in the sticky is up to date.
Classic: I don't think so

Melee vers.: that one has always been debated, and I believe it's one of those cases where the tourney organizer decides if it's allowed(same as with peach's castle) so yes.

Vro

Smash Lord
I don't know about Peach's Castle, that one is almost never allowed. I'd put Green Greens in the same category as MKII and Japes. Those 3 stages are borderline broken, but they're just too fun!

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Is there any place to get custom gamecube controllers? I want to swap out the X button and put the Z button there instead...it's probably just a wiring switcheroo in my unprofessional opinion BUT is there any companies out there that do custom controllers?

Pi

Smash Hero
Is there any place to get custom gamecube controllers? I want to swap out the X button and put the Z button there instead...it's probably just a wiring switcheroo in my unprofessional opinion BUT is there any companies out there that do custom controllers?
so you want to change the fuction of your X and Z buttons? having your X button grab?
(note; this is not tourney legal)
I doubt any places out there can do it, but i'm sure you could find someone who would know how to go about it.

rhan

Smash Hero
What are the rules to a Crew Battle? I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything on it. So if anyone has a thread or know the rules could you kindly tell/show me?

Thanks much in advance.

~Rhan

Vro

Smash Lord
@ Rhan

I can't think of anything specific you'd like to hear. The "Japanese Neutrals" are the only stages on random: FD, DL, PS. (Even tho Pokemon Stadium is not a Japanese Neutral.) Both sides start with an equal number of stock, say 36 vs 36. When the winner progresses, he brings along any stock he had from the previous match into the next. You should probably clear up ahead of time if you want to make JV an extra stock (usually isn't afaik).

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Don't some crew battles allow counterpicking?

Like say I face off as Falcon with 4 stocks vs a Marth with 2 stocks.
I win with 2 stocks left, and get Fox as my next opponent, I can CP Fox or Marth, right?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Don't some crew battles allow counterpicking?

Like say I face off as Falcon with 4 stocks vs a Marth with 2 stocks.
I win with 2 stocks left, and get Fox as my next opponent, I can CP Fox or Marth, right?
this doesn't really sound right tbh
I always thought that the person coming on had the opportunity to counterpick the previous winner.
Take your example,
You beat fox with two stocks left. The next person comes on and counterpicks stage against you and goes fountain of dreams. Now you choose a character for the stage like shiek. Then the other person counterpicks your character with fox.
Also, i believe that if you counterpick stage with random, the person currently in has to stay the same character

Vro

Smash Lord
Some crews require pre-chosen characters on each side. Some crew battles enforce one-pick. I don't believe crews let you change between characters between matches, unless it's agreed upon.

I don't know why anyone would want an official ruleset of crews when the whole purpose is pride. Set your own agreed upon rules.

rhan

Smash Hero
Alright. These posts helped. I knew the basics of a Crew Battle like the process and what stages are legal. I played in a few but I only knew these rules.

Few more questions:

1) In small Crew Battles (Like 5v5). Are you not allowed to have 2 or more of the same character be played? Like last crew battle we had we tried to go Marth, Falco, Fox, Sheik, Sheik and the opposing crew johned about it. So I had to switch from Sheik to Samus (My secondary).

2) If the person that has to kill themselves to equal the stocks lost in the pervious match hits the opponent, does that count as a stock loss? They johned about that too.

3) If the random select chooses the same stage as before is the match reseted on a new stage or played out?

I'm just trying to clear these rules up. Even though we still won the crew battle I just don't want my crew to get screwed over by false rules in the future.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
1. Yes you are.

2. Huh? I don't understand

3. I've always played i tout.

rhan

Smash Hero
Example for question 2.

Match 1:
Falco wins with 2 stocks.

Match2:
Falco's forward B hits opponent while trying to take himself down to 2 stocks.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Well that's just sillly :D

I mean it's only a few percentages I guess, I dunno. I wouldn't give two ****s. BUt others might.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I personally wouldn't care if it were me but it's probably best to just restart if that happens. I can foresee something like this being an issue (someone complaining) if the match was really close.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Is there any possible way to do a reverse neutral b on the ground from a run.

As in, im running, i turn around and neutral b.

No I dont want a jumping turn-around neutral b. That defeats the purpose of what im looking for.

(Im thinking this is something impossible)

Pi

Smash Hero
Is there any possible way to do a reverse neutral b on the ground from a run.

As in, im running, i turn around and neutral b.

No I dont want a jumping turn-around neutral b. That defeats the purpose of what im looking for.

(Im thinking this is something impossible)
You might be able to use the fastliketreegrab method...
With a kind of, half pivot
Whereby...you're running, you crouch, then dash in your initial direction, and quickly dash in the other direction and let the control stick return to neutral, then you'd just be facing in the opposite direction, in a standing position

Pretty sure that's about as fast as you're gonna get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6OsFK0ce4E

I gonna try it with samus...that'd be pretty cool...dash behind shield pivot -> charged shot

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah, that's what I found out after i started looking. I felt like a ****** cause it's kinda simple (although I was hoping for something different because a wavedash is telegraphed, especially with doc).

-laughs- I asked in the sheik boards and soap told me wavedash -> DD -> wavedash back -> throw needles. Im not laughing at his answer as much as how many people actually do all that with sheik. I never really thought about it.

-shrug- It's just a tech alot of characters dont really need. Access to their standing neutral b. Ah well.

Thanks for the help nontheless.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea you can't Neutral B from a pivot
But there's a way to like...pivot into a standing position, and I thought you could do it from that
But it seems really slow, wavedash looks to be the best option

Paff

Smash Journeyman
I'll add onto the previous question; basically I'm really unclear as to what all the differences are between light and full shielding. Light seems to be larger, but people usually use full, so I'm wondering: what are the disadvantages of light?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
LightShielding lets you reduce the damage your shield takes from hits but will increase the recoil (distance you slide). This is mainly used by Yoshi users to avoid being locked in their shield since Yoshi can't jump out of it.

Pi

Smash Hero
It doesn't reduce the damage your shield takes from hits afaik
but it does last for like 15 seconds or something
if fully light shielded
Basically you put less strain on your shield by light shielding, but it'll still diminish just as fast from taking hits
along with pushing you back further than a full shield would

You can use this to edgehog marth's if he's UB -> ledgegrab with fast fallers; shiek, cfalc, fox, falco are the ones I'm aware of, roll to the edge with your back to it and press Z, hold away from the stage and when marth Ub's he'll hit your shield and knock you onto the edge, make sure to let go of the control stick when you get hit or you won't grab the edge

Light shield also allows the shield to cover more of your body, so if you're on a platform and your opponent is below you you can light shield to avoid getting your feet it, or you can angle your shield downward

Hitlag/stun is the same for light shield and full shield,
you can't powershield with a light shield,

Top Bottom