• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
okay so the game is too new to make a tier list we can assume certain things based on what we've seen so far but we wont know till more tourney's keep happenening and consistencies are seen. One thin we can all agree on is that Marth is defenatly gonna stay at the top up-b out of the shield is too good. He can fair you then immedailty grab you just because of the fear of him using his up-b after landing from his fair its crazy, i would use marth but i preffer to play a manlier character;)

Nixis

Smash Cadet
geez people, i don't know why you guys are getting so angry. it's only a couple of guesses, aren't people allowed to say what they think? calm down, its not like the end of the world is coming. why do care about what they think anyway?

anyway, i think marth will probably stay high, but it looks like he lost some of his range. Pit isn't that good either, he's just got some combos. his b-up is only useful for recover and escape, and his b-down isn't exactly unique. falco lost his ability to shine continuiously, but maybe that will actually help him somehow...

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
my opinion go ahead hate i dont care

toon link is either top, high tier end of story

meta knight is high tier

ike is high tier

falco is high tier

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
Perhaps because these toons were dominating due to their ability to react to almost any situation, where as characters like Zelda/Link are forced into spamming and camping move/mindsets... this is also the reason right now that Pit is doing so well in the tourney scene.. b/c turtling is a basic instinct of players when introduced to a new game.
A little confused by your meaning of "toons"; do you mean the characters, Fox and Falco, or the players behind them?
If you mean the characters then wouldn't that prove what I said about the tiers already being present, the characters simply hadn't been used to their full potential until... when ever it was that they began to dominate? Once they were the tournament results reflected it, and the list was changed accordingly; not accordingly to the tournament results, but according to them being discovered as two dominant characters.

If you were referring to the players behind the newly dominant Fox/Falco as the "toons", then altering the tier list according to that would've made in an inaccurate list. A player's skill can only determine the outcome of a match, not the underline tiering of characters. To bring an example from another game, Justin Wong vs Dark Prince's MvC2 "Ruby Matches" in which Wong fought with a low tier team against DP's "Santhrax"(and others later on, I believe). Just because Wong did well against high tiered tournament winning teams, he ultimately lost in a best of 10(I think it was), doesn't mean the characters he used should rise in the tiers.

Also.. you are also assuming that most of the players on SWF are very well written, and actually have constructive things to add to this topic/debate...
Much like the early United States system of having an electoral college b/c the common man cannot be trusted w/ important descisions like who will be their ruler... the common SWF user has not be shown the full tournament scene nor are they skilled enough at conveying their thoughts on the boards that most of their arguments are a waste of time.. or are misinformed.

Leave it to the SBR.. im sure they'll come up with something..
Good Day Sir.
True, and while I have seen a lot of wasted or outright ignorant arguments and posts in general around SWF (One of the things that kept me from joining until now, actually.), I've seen lots of helpful posts as well; both to an individual who might have a question, and to the scene in general. Besides, someone's got to be a little optimistic.:p
Leaving it to someone else has never been in my nature, and it would seem that the higher ups at the forum would rather have input from those outside the SBR, or at the least have no problem with, otherwise I see no reason to even allow tier discussion in the public boards...
Gonna go grab some dinner with a couple friends now, so I guess I'm done too. For a while at least.:p

geez people, i don't know why you guys are getting so angry.
Discussion and debate doesn't have to be because of anger; in fact it shouldn't be, anger can makes one quick to judge and often irrational.

Delere

Smash Rookie
I wonder how many people in this thread that are posting tier lists know what tiers really mean...

It's the POTENTIAL of a character, not who the best you've seen so far is. And it's still a very subjective thing. As much as I like Meta Knight, I don't think he will be very high tier because he is easy to pick up.

I THINK characters like Diddy, Snake, and ZSS will be higher tier than expected simply because once people start figuring out 1v1 strategies and expedite their strengths, they will start to dominate more. Like I said, I THINK that based on seeing other players use them very well.

Like so many have said, it's too early to start making tier lists yet, but we can speculate.

EDIT: As for Ike, any defensive player who shields/spot dodges a lot will have no trouble with him.

Sensai

Smash Master
ch0zen0ne is a ****ing noob

look at his join date and post count.

i dont listen to nubs.
You're kidding....right? If you're not, see below. If so, then skip this post as someone who has trouble detecting sarcasm.

Even people who are new are still entitled to their opinions.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Well I have no idea what the official tier list is, obviously. But I'll give a list of my best characters. (No order)

1)Snake
2)Lucas
3)Sonic
4)Pikmin & Olimar
5)Fox
6)Lucario
7)Luigi
8)Toon Link
9)King Dedede
10)Ike

Wilde

Smash Rookie
Agreed.

It seems like people who make lists of their predictions, base them on what they've heard on these boards.
yup and since they base their predictions/opinions on the previous ones posted on this board, no new information and insight is really being added.

Similar tier lists are applauded and reinforced, while originial ideas (ie xx character is good instead of terribad) are mocked and disregarded.

You're basically going to get the same recycled tier lists over and over because essentially the same person (conglomerate of people) is making all of them and mocking the ones that "he" (he = the members of this thread and SWF) dont like.

IDK how to articulate what I'm thinking, but you get the idea and thus this entire thread is UTTERLY POINTLESS and redundant. Noone is providing answers to why zz is mid tier and not high tier. People just read other tier lists and when they are making their predictions they use that bias (ie hmm... I saw ice climbers in mid tier on joe's list, ive never really played them but they seem like a mid tier character to me. next...)

edit: also, asking "what do you think" is such a counter-intuitive process. Everyone is going to support tier lists that are similar to the OTHER tier lists they've seen and mock any that have big disparities. Like someone else said, we should talk about the STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES of the characters and discuss what the meta game might be like (ie lots of projecticle spam to manipulate spacing) so we can predict what qualities might be benficial and thus influence the future tier list.

Someone should make a thread where we discuss strengths and weaknesses and what will be the most beneficial qualities in the meta game

Zink

Smash Champion
the best part of this thread is that chozen is from like 05 in reality. I wonder if he just got a new account to fool people?

djdoclon373

Smash Rookie
Pit gives me the most trouble....he's fast, has amazing jumps, projectiles, and two reflecting moves...I really find Pit annoying. But I think top tier is -

Pit
MK
Rob

Snake is my favorite...but he tends to get whooped on a lot due to his lack of speed....I'm just glad DK and Kirby got some major buffs in this game

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
First, these are placed in no particular order, just in the tiers that i believe they belong in.

Top:
Diddy Kong: Greatly versatile character, some good KO moves, bananas, good recovery
Falco: Strong, good on-ground game, good recovery, medium sized target, fast
Toon Link: Strong, better projectiles than Link, good recovery, small, strong KOs
Wolf: Strong, fast, good projectile, good reflector, good recovery, good aerial game

High:
Ike: Very strong but very slow, medium recovery, many KO moves
Lucario:Good KO moves, Aura, good projectile, amazing aerial moves(especially D-air)
Meta Knight:Good edgeguarding, Gliding, good at racking up damage and then KOing
Olimar: Racking up damage, amazing aerial game(u-air), small, versatile fighting style
Snake: remote mines, good recovery, strong, mind games, semi-good projectiles
Fox: strong, good recovery, fast, reflector, good projectile
Squirtle: fast, floaty(much like Jiggs in SSBM), hydroplaning, small, avoiding Wall of Pains
Zamus: Good combos, some strong finishing KO moves, fast, whip
Pit: racks up a lot of damage, good aerial game, GREAT recovery, easy to play

Middle:
Zelda: Din's Fire, pretty strong smashes, Good recovery, good projectiles/reflector move
Pikachu: fast, down-b, good recovery, ground hugging projectile, small
Mario: medium sized, good projectile, medium speed, medium KO and recovery moves
Luigi: Basically same as Mario, except Up-B is stronger, laggier attacks, good horizontal recovery
Lucas: Strong moves though some are laggy, small, PK Fire, PK Freeze over edge, better recovery than Ness b/c of tether
Ice Climbers: Nana, chain grab/throw, ground hugging projectile, good KO moves, however they were nerfed from SSBM
Ivysaur: good KO moves, Neutral-B, good projectile, strong, but slightly slow, not a good recovery
R.O.B.: Good projectiles but not spammable, great recovery, strong aerial game, large target makes easy to hit
Kirby: smallest crouch in game, small, great aerial game, many buffs from melee, Aerial hammer, various good KO moves, great recovery, but one of the easier to KO
Marth: Slower than Melee, Attacks slightly weaker, no DD, medium recovery
King Dedede: good recovery, slow, very large, heavy, hard to KO, slow but strong attacks
Donkey Kong: buffed from melee, good horizontal recovery, strong, large, slow
Peach: Nerfed turnips, good side-b, good KO moves, good recovery, rather light
Sheik: Nerfed speed and attacks, but still good recovery and good aerial game
Link: Projectiles slightly nerfed, strong attacks, but weaker than melee, inferior to TL
Captain Falcon: Nerfed, but not enough to go to Low tier, Good Up-B, strong attacks, still fast
G&W: small, but light target, strong attacks/good recovery, side-b is unpredictable, slightly buffed so moved to Mid tier
Sonic: fastest character in game, good recovery, attacks out of recovery, no really strong KO moves, good at "hit and run", great aerial game

Low:
Bowser: No L-canceling, slow moves, large target, strong moves, weak recovery
Ness: easy to KO, small target, slow Up-b, inferior to Lucas, OK recovery
Jigglypuff: Lightest char in game, slow dash, great aerial but easy to KO, Rollout is easily dodged, great recovery, small target
Yoshi: overall weak attacks, though some are buffed from melee, great recovery, heavy
Samus: projectiles have been nerfed, attacks are weaker, recovery is good because of damage caused + tether, rather large target, slightly slower than melee
Charizard: fast and heavy but large target, weak b moves besides rock smash, easy to KO, slow attacks and lots of lagg

Bottom:
Wario: Side b is dissapointing but helps with recovery, horrible recovery unless you charge down b which takes 2 minutes to fully charge, good aerials, but out-prioritized by other aerial characters
Ganondorf: biggest nerf from melee, very slow, attacks slow, lots of lagg, bad aerial game, good meteor smash, heavy, large target, easily chain thrown

Those are my basic reasons for putting each character in the specific tier they are in. Alright, ready for Flaming. *Puts on major FlameShield*

Oh, and just so you all know, my characters that I play are Kirby, Olimar, Lucas, Zelda, and Pokemon Trainer. This is stated so you can judge whether my opinions are biased or not.

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
LOL no one has listed why Yoshi is so bad yet the best reasons are.

"Yoshi sucks because he sucks in melee"

"Yoshi sucks due to no more DJC"

"Yoshi sucks because I dont like him and I say he is"

"Yoshi sucks because he is boring and I would rather be Olimar"

"Yoshi sucks because he doesnt have a sword and name is not Ike"

"Yoshi sucks because he can't see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch"

"Yoshi sucks because he chose Allstate over Geico"

"Yoshi sucks because he picked Kansas State in the final four"

"Yoshi sucks"

"Yoshi"

each excuse keeps getting worse and worse

Yoshi is not Bottom tier... I will say this again he will be high-low or low-mid.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
God Tier:

Wi-Fi Lag
Final Destination's Edges
R.O.B.

High Tier:

All the lame characters.

Middle Tier:

All the broken characters from Melee that should have gotten nerfed but didn't.

Low Tier:

All the cool characters, save R.O.B.
Yes, this was almost forty pages back, but it's just that funny, to be worth quoting it here. Totally agree on the lame chars being good.

And just to keep this from being total spam, why does it seem almost everyone here has forgotten how the last couple tier lists were based largely on the metagame, which Brawl doesn't have yet? So just play the game, find a couple chars that fit you, and stop trying to guess to make yourself look smart.

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
none of us have any right to make a bottom tier because the characters that people put in bottom tier are characters that

A. They played with once and lost so according to amazing logic (sarcasm) they suck
B. Never Used them
C. Ganondorf

"I have won 7 times with Pit so he is top tier" Bad reason for him being top tier

"I played as bowser once and I sucked with him so he is bottom tier" Again no

it jsut seems the majority of this board is using this logic

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Kirby redux, l-canceling is not in this game, and warios recovery is actually very good. when you use his side b you basically get 4 jumps; and there is no way that sheik is below donkey kong.....ever

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
LOL no one has listed why Yoshi is so bad yet the best reasons are.

"Yoshi sucks because he sucks in melee"

"Yoshi sucks due to no more DJC"

"Yoshi sucks because I dont like him and I say he is"

"Yoshi sucks because he is boring and I would rather be Olimar"

"Yoshi sucks because he doesnt have a sword and name is not Ike"

"Yoshi sucks because he can't see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch"

"Yoshi sucks because he chose Allstate over Geico"

"Yoshi sucks because he picked Kansas State in the final four"

"Yoshi sucks"

"Yoshi"

each excuse keeps getting worse and worse

Yoshi is not Bottom tier... I will say this again he will be high-low or low-mid.
I literally lol'd at this post, because it's somewhat true, AND it's hilarious. Go Didididdy! Rofl.

Kirby redux, l-canceling is not in this game, and warios recovery is actually very good. when you use his side b you basically get 4 jumps; and there is no way that sheik is below donkey kong.....ever
Agreed. Kirby redux, Sheik is better than half the characters you put above her. I mean, Mario, Luigi? DEDEDE? If you're stating your OPINION then ok, I respect but just disagree. But if you're stating it as FACT? FALSE. How is Lucario and Ike higher than Pit? I hate Pit, but only because he's so broken. For public info, I tend to use the word "broken" very loosely.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
jsut so you know, i stated at THE VERY TOP OF MY POST that the characters were in NO PARTICULAR ORDER, and just in their respective tiers. And yes, I have played every character more than once. I tried each multiple times to get a feel for them before i posted this.

P.S: I KNOW L-cancel is not in the game, i even stated that in my post! Please READ the entire post before you make criticism of it.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Lol. Bottom tier:

Sonic XD

Lol, jk. But seriously, I wish they would have made Sonic better. I like him alot, but he just isn't that good. *sigh* I still use him though. He's cocky like Pit, but he isn't a sissy fairy and has the cool factor to back it up.

SiSiMeN

Smash Rookie
?Well..

I don't really know if this has anything to do with anything, but as far as potential is measured through each character, a good way to tell who has the potential to be the best goes, make that character a lvl 9 computer and see how they play. (this is not true in all scenarios, I know it is wrong because it sucks with olimar and metaknight AND yoshi and I KNOW they have SERIOUS potential) however these are the characters the computer plays as the best (so fight them if you are training)

LVL 9 computer tier list -

Mario - He uses all of his moves really well, if you dont keep him in the air and guessing what you will do next, he will grab you and throw you over and over, cape you to death, and just mess you up in general. He is good practice.

Pikachu - She is just freaking cheap, but still has potential, she will lightning you to death when you try to get back on the lvl or get knocked into the air (you will learn to dodge better) and has some good throws, and really fast attacks.

Game and Watch - He really kicks some serious butt (not as a computer, in general) but the computer plays him really well. (except it over uses B attacks) Game and Watch keeps you guessing with its weird play style.

Marth - Only sometimes, but the computer really makes this character work well (its like a 1/2 chance of it doing it right though). Marth is not slow, he just has some slow attacks you can get stuck on if you're not careful.

Kirby - Last but not least, the computer plays as kirby fairly well (at least it does it better than the rest of characters under this list.)

Anyways, if this doesnt help your searching of new characters, it will help your training.

Cohen

Smash Apprentice
i think Ike...i don't main him...but hes basically **** when in the right hands ( Azen's Ike = death o.o)

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
i think Ike...i don't main him...but hes basically **** when in the right hands ( Azen's Ike = death o.o)
He's only really **** at an entry/local level. otherwise he is too predictable/shallow

There are exceptions tho... =)

Jackal478

Smash Ace
In my opinion the Top 5 are:

Metaknight, (amazing recovery, multi-hit moves, fast, multiple jumps)
ROB, (very good specials, amazing recovery, strong moves, pretty fast)
Wolf, (powerful moves, excellent specials, okay recovery, amazing Fsmash range)
Zero-Suit, (fast, excellent specials, good combo setup, stun moves)
and Olimar. (spamable, range, excellent specials, easy-to-use super armor)

In no paticular order.

Zink

Smash Champion
I don't really know if this has anything to do with anything, but as far as potential is measured through each character, a good way to tell who has the potential to be the best goes, make that character a lvl 9 computer and see how they play. (this is not true in all scenarios, I know it is wrong because it sucks with olimar and metaknight AND yoshi and I KNOW they have SERIOUS potential) however these are the characters the computer plays as the best (so fight them if you are training)

Mario - He uses all of his moves really well, if you dont keep him in the air and guessing what you will do next, he will grab you and throw you over and over, cape you to death, and just mess you up in general. He is good practice.

Pikachu - She is just freaking cheap, but still has potential, she will lightning you to death when you try to get back on the lvl or get knocked into the air (you will learn to dodge better) and has some good throws, and really fast attacks.

Game and Watch - He really kicks some serious butt (not as a computer, in general) but the computer plays him really well. (except it over uses B attacks) Game and Watch keeps you guessing with its weird play style.

Marth - Only sometimes, but the computer really makes this character work well (its like a 1/2 chance of it doing it right though). Marth is not slow, he just has some slow attacks you can get stuck on if you're not careful.

Kirby - Last but not least, the computer plays as kirby fairly well (at least it does it better than the rest of characters under this list.)

Anyways, if this doesnt help your searching of new characters, it will help your training.
it's a really bad idea to fight lvl 9s, you build up so many bad habits.

I Like Ike!

Smash Rookie
It's not much better playing vs scrubs on Basic Brawl....

Friend Codes=win
Not necessarily. Play a few level nines for a couple of hours and then try to play seriously. It will take about 15 KOs to get the kinks fixed.

Not sure on what the tiers are going to be yet, so I cannot comment.

nickomahen

Smash Rookie
Top:
Marth
Metaknight
Diddy Kong

High:
Toon Link
Wolf
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikmin & Olimar
King DeDeDe
Pit

Middle:
Snake
Fox
Luigi
Ike
Pikachu
Sheik
R.O.B.
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer
Zelda
Ness
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Low:
Link
Sonic
Wario
Mario
Samus
Bowser
Peach

Bottom:
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace

Ehh,maybe its because Iam a Mario main but,I find the computer's Luigi to be tougher than his Mario.He sex kicks like crazy and due to its fast @$s recovery,even if you did attempted a shield grab he'll either Sidestep it or do another aerial.You should try him sometime.

M@v

Subarashii!
I have 2 problems with metaknight for top tier. Im not denying hes a good fighter, just not top tier material.
1. All his b moves send him into a free fall state
2. He lacks finishing moves. His b up and up smash are decent, but from my experience being him and fighting him, he rarely kills below 150%

I think wolf is a good top tier candidate. However, good luck trying to beat a decent pikachu or zelda player with him, not gonna happen. Its the rock paper sissors philosophy ive noticed in brawl. Ex. I have a hard time with zelda when Im wolf, but do much better when Im a fast character like sonic. Fox even stands much more of a chance against zelda than wolf, even though they are partially similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom