• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Is Ganon really the bottomest of the bottom? I didn't feel that he was that bad... but then again I wouldn't consider myself that good of a player.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Yeah, I second Ganondorf. But I've got to say actually...
After a lot of soul searching,
He's probably bottom tier.

I'll still play him though.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
neither ganon or falcon are bottom.

Everyone thinks their char is high tier, and almost everyone is high tier material (supposedly) but I say we try to associate the lower tiers 1st, then work on higher tiers and see who deserves it most (since tiers are not going to be as important to victory)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I say we wait for a few tournaments, see who places where, and then let the backroom decide, because nothing we say changes much. Most people just put who they (and their friends) play as high/top followed by the spacies, marth, and some little fast guys.

you can tell, because people have been talking about how good wario and G&W are, yet they're almost always placed towards the bottom. Also, not many people play them, but DK, yoshi, and kirby have been showing a lot of potential, and yet they are inevitably placed near the bottom because people copy and paste the old melee tiers.

If you havent played someone who mains a character, you dont know how good they are. I'm sick of seeing link and the pokemon all really high on the list because thats all that kid plays. Wait a bit and the tiers will come out

L__

Smash Master
Top:
Marth
Diddy

High:
Toon Link
Fox
MK
Olimar

Mid:
Wolf
Falco
G&W
Pit
Snake
Zamus
Dedede
Ike
Pika
Luigi
R.O.B.
Sheik
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Zelda
Lucas
Ness
Lucario
Yoshi
DK

Low:
Ganon

Bottom:
C. Falcon

==========================================

Looks:

Top:

Bottom:
...Everyone.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
neither ganon or falcon are bottom.

Everyone thinks their char is high tier, and almost everyone is high tier material (supposedly) but I say we try to associate the lower tiers 1st, then work on higher tiers and see who deserves it most (since tiers are not going to be as important to victory)
Ganon is a very mind-game-y character, just because he's so slow. I think with proper spacing he's a good character, but difficult to use. Falcon is still pretty awesome, he's not as fast, but fast enough to be a pain, and his aerials are still really good, save the knee of course. But people need to learn Falcon as if he can't combo, because they don't know how to play Brawl yet.

JawofMalak

Smash Rookie
This guy talks like he's an expert at the game, yet his language doesn't show that. He says cheap like 30 times, and what's this kerchunking he's talking about? I've never heard of it and i even googled it and all I got was his post on friendcodes. Diddy kong's gun is terrible (as far as i've sen, I play diddy a lot and have found no use for it, cept in maybe trying to stop recoveries. Yet if someone one can show other wise, never mind). And also he says Luigi is near the bottom...he has no idea what he is talking about. Plus, tier lists are found, not made. After a year or so of tournaments the list will come together, so trying to make lists right now is just ridiculous.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I found this guy who says he was from Smashboards and was in the Back. He claims he showing the tier list in the back Room. I don't believe it. What do you think?

http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/s...8234-the-official-super-smash-bros-brawl.html
The people commenting on that believing it must be ********. It all sounds a bit fan-boyish to me, and the terminology is a bit n00bish. Cheap. KERCHUNG?! Sounds like pure fantasy to me....I highly doubt the backroom people have started on a tier list yet. Maybe thrown some ideas around MAX.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kerchunking?
There's absolutely no way this is real.
Since tripping is random, you can't plan to "kerchunk" someone, and he claims you must do it immediately and simultaneously.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/super-smash-bros-brawl/78234-the-official-super-smash-bros-brawl.html said:
How to 'Kerchunk": When Fox trips and falls If you were to immidiatly hit the R button, the B button and the A button EXACTLY simultaniously while holding the c-stick down and holding left or right, Fox will throw down and do his down-smash while slide across the stage.
Wake up, this is obviously a joke topic.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Clearly a joke topic. Especially since Ike and Luigi are likely high-mid to low-upper characters and Snake is definitely top. Actually, Snake's probably the best in game ATM.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi is very under rated in most cases but I think he will be high up on the Low tier but thats good since it will make me able to use him in low tier tourneys.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
Lucario and Wario are bottom tier material, and here is why:
Lucario-his damage improves by .1 or 10% for every 15% of damage that he takes beyond the first 25 damage that you take. This bonus caps when he is at 170% when he is now dealing 2.2times damage. The problem comes when you realize that he only does about half the damage of a normal character at 0%. This means that his bounes doesn't help or pay off until you are already at the near death damages especially since he is one of the lighter characters. This also creates a cycle that is completely dependent on your first stock. If you get the first kill, then they start a new, but your still caring that nice damage and reach bounes, so you still get some nice damage to set-up your next stock. If you die first, now they are at a reasonably high damage and you start over with little damage, knock-back, and reach. This is enough for them to get plenty of damage off on you before they die. Which sets them up to continoue holding the lead. Any character whose strategy relies on getting beat-up will get beat-up and loose.
Wario-He is a slow, short reach, poor recovery character with only mediocore knock back. Pichu in Melee was unable to over come his opponents because of his short reach and he even had alot of speed to get close to. If the same short reach character couldn't do it, then a similar one won't if he has been slowed down and with less recovery. Bottom tier!

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Lucario and Wario are bottom tier material, and here is why:
Lucario-his damage improves by .1 or 10% for every 15% of damage that he takes beyond the first 25 damage that you take. This bonus caps when he is at 170% when he is now dealing 2.2times damage. The problem comes when you realize that he only does about half the damage of a normal character at 0%. This means that his bounes doesn't help or pay off until you are already at the near death damages especially since he is one of the lighter characters. This also creates a cycle that is completely dependent on your first stock. If you get the first kill, then they start a new, but your still caring that nice damage and reach bounes, so you still get some nice damage to set-up your next stock. If you die first, now they are at a reasonably high damage and you start over with little damage, knock-back, and reach. This is enough for them to get plenty of damage off on you before they die. Which sets them up to continoue holding the lead. Any character whose strategy relies on getting beat-up will get beat-up and loose.
Wario-He is a slow, short reach, poor recovery character with only mediocore knock back. Pichu in Melee was unable to over come his opponents because of his short reach and he even had alot of speed to get close to. If the same short reach character couldn't do it, then a similar one won't if he has been slowed down and with less recovery. Bottom tier!
You my friend, have got to analyze more than one aspect of a character before you shoot them down.

Yes, Lucario has the Aura ability. Yes, it works when he's hurt. Yes, he deals roughly half the damage of a regular character.

He is however, one of the only characters in the game who can combo. At lower percentages, it doesn't mean much, as a 5-6 hit combo from Lucario = 2-3 from another character. However, when his Aura kicks in, these combos are particularly deadly. His comboing moves gain very very little knockback from the Aura but substantial damage increases . His kill moves though, gain huge ground on both categories.

He also gains aura strength when he's behind in stocks. People tend to forget that!

Wario... heh, I stopped believing you when you said he recovered poorly. He has 3 recovery moves, 1 horizontal and two vertical! xD

He's also heavy. He's got more control in the air than anyone. He's got an air grab. He wins by tricking out his opponent, using superior movement, awkward/unpredictable movesets and unique advantages like his air grab. He won't through brute clashing of techniques, where range and priority win out.

I'm not saying these characters are top/high tier. I'm just saying that characters with obviously more weaknesses, like Ganon, belong below them.

The Metal

Smash Rookie
Honestly guys i think its going to be a few years for a teir list and even when it does come out it will be way to balenced to make a difference.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Cough....

thats how thread is heading spamtastice
spamtastic= is a negative term used to put down slow people in Europe got mario party 8 banned from Europe

Dizzy T

Smash Rookie
Tiers are way too early to decide but if i had to choose i probably think metaknight would be in top or high tier because of his speed, recovery and ability to keep opponents off guard.

bendeezy

Smash Rookie
All characters will have their ups and downs. And some people know how to cope with them, making different characters being put in their "top tier". But from what I've been seeing in this vast forum, Marth, Ike, Pit, Meta Knight, Olimar, and Wolf are lots of peoples' faves.

uberlock

Smash Rookie
Sheik stuff.

Hey, this is my first post after having recently joined, i mainly joined for the friend / brawl finder but i felt like a post here.

Basically, i agree alot with the post made by TechnoMonster on Page 113. I apologise if whati say here is repeating other people, but i cant read the entire thread due to the sheer number of pages that have built up bfore i joined. Basically, i want to defend Sheik! :p Looking at a few of the random tier lists that have been posted, Sheik seems to have been placed middle - low tier...asll i have to say is...what the hell. How can she justifiably be put there. Its exactly as technomonster said, her nerfs dont matter all that much, she can still counter and / or shutdown most strategies very effectivly without the use of items. Yes, she may not have some awsome 80% kill smash like alot of people, but it really wouldnt be fair for her to have one. She can rank up damage and combos so quickly, that to have a good kill move would be too powerful, which i think is the problem alot of people had with her in melee.

Also, lets look at her actual nerfs and buffs. Lets start with the obvious. The F-air. Its not the awsome killer it was in melee, but as i say, it would be unfair for her to keep the awsome melee fair. And people seems to make it out that it cannot kill, which is not true, it can still kill at 150%. Whilst some people may think that is extremly high, with the new physics and more emphasis on DI, people can survive much more than in melee, and so if you play sheik, especially agasnt the larger characters you could find yourself comboing them to beyond 150% without a ko anyway, and then the fair can have a good shot at killing. Also, whilst the fairs knockback has been nerfed, it is in no way useless. It come out very quick ,with good priority, and so can be used as a good counter-counter-recovery, as well as a aerial punisher. Which also brings me to her other aerials, which seem to have have slight knockback berfs, but other than the d-air, which is fundamentally bad in most situations, the aerials are good punishers, air comboers, and can finish in the 100% markers. Then there are other moves like the chain, nerfed damage and edgegaurd wise, but i rarely saw it used in melee anyway, but it is also now a tether, giving sheik 2 forms of recoveries, which when mixed up, can confuse opponents, as well as vanish being able to KO now, one of her best ko moves if it hits infact. All of her ground smashes seem to be a little better, e.g. the f-smash hitting harder, and the d-smash having less lag. Her tilts are also better, the up-tilit doin nice damage, and an opener for some b-airs, the f-tilts are awsome comboers, especially when combined with the normal a rapid punch, and the down smash. Also the needles are still great, for quick damage, punishing charges and dash's (if tripping doesnt do it for you :p).

SO, in conclusion, Sheik is still awsome. While i personally agree with techno that she is top tier, i can underatand people putting her high tier becuase of the slight lack of ko ability, but she can in no way be lower than high tier.

Sorry for ranting, and im sure not many non-Sheik lovers will listen to me, but i like the ninja to much to sit back and watch he get butchterd on tier lists without attempting to defend her awsomeness :p So thanks for reading!

slave1

Smash Lord
pit
IC's- if you dont believe me you havent played a fourth in state IC's
fox-and he still can infa-shine i loves it
marth
MK
squirtle
falco

mid
yoshi
wolf
snake
toon link
sonic
pika
shiek
link
zelda
ROB- but a good rob is amazing and very scary
luigi
peach
samus-if even this she has been nerfed
ness
ivysaur
olamar
wario

bottom
lucario
zero-all she has going for her is her armor- other wise she isnt that good, but someone could chage my mind
bowser
charzard-even though i love him

and the few others mixed in the mid tiers. an so on

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Top Tier:
Pit
Toon Link

High Tier:
Wolf
Snake
DeDeDe
R.O.B.
Lucas
Ness
Olimar
Marth
Diddy
Meta Knight

Mid Tier:
Ike
Fox
Falco
Luigi
Zelda
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Squirtle
Game and Watch
C. Falcon
Mario
Peach
Pikachu
Charizard
Ivysaur
Link
Samus

Low Tier:
Ganondorf
Wario
Lucario
Jiggly
Yoshi
Bowser
Sheik
Sonic
DK

Zamus Tier:
Zamus

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Wow, your tier lists are full of crap. Why don't you just play the game and stop whining about tiers.

Fizzmix

Smash Rookie
Wow, your tier lists are full of crap. Why don't you just play the game and stop whining about tiers.

Why don't you just play the game and stop whining about other people whining about tiers?

No one in this thread is even whining, this is a thread for predicting which characters will prove to be the 'best' based on their potential. Its a very valid topic.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Lgnd's Top 5 + reasons

Toon Link: A faster, better Link in General.
ZSS: Fast, powerful, and floaty
Meta: Ungodly speed,recovery, and mindgamability
DDD: Fastest Heavy there is.
Sonic: mostly based on mindgames, but solid fighting ability to back it up.

Eaode

Smash Champion
TOP:
Toon Link
Wolf

HIGH:
Pit
ROB
Pikachu
Diddy
Lucas
Meta Knight
Olimar
Marth
Snake

MIDDLE: (No Particular Order)
Ike
Yoshi
Luigi
Dedede
Falco
Sonic
C. Falcon
Lucario
PKMN Trainer
G&W
Samus
Zamus
Zelda
Kirby
Ness
ICs

Low:
Sheik
Bowser
Link
Fox
Wario
DK
Mario

The lows are very hard to place, and some characters are missing, any feedback is helpful

Basshunter

Smash Rookie
My opinion of the tiers.
Top Tier
Marth
Donky Kong (white outfit is kreepy)
Ice Jumbers
Diddy Kong

Deadly Tier
Mario + Luigi (Kinda a team thing)
Bowser
Squints
Samus
Link
Zelda

Middle Tier
PokeRMON trainer
Golden Sonic
Wario
Ness
Lucas
Toon Link

Low Tier
Sonic
Snake
The robot whos name i cant remember. (is it just robot?)
Pikmin
Falco
Sonic
Fox

Low Tier
DeDeDeDe
Wolf
Toon Link
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Ganandorf

High Tier
Forgot this one WHoopers
Umm Metal Knight
Zamus (wierd name i know)
Pit
Iki
Romper

XHMI

Smash Rookie
My opinion of the tiers.
Top Tier
Marth
Donky Kong (white outfit is kreepy)
Ice Jumbers
Diddy Kong

Deadly Tier
Mario + Luigi (Kinda a team thing)
Bowser
Squints
Samus
Link
Zelda

Middle Tier
PokeRMON trainer
Golden Sonic
Wario
Ness
Lucas
Toon Link

Low Tier
Sonic
Snake
The robot whos name i cant remember. (is it just robot?)
Pikmin
Falco
Sonic
Fox

Low Tier
DeDeDeDe
Wolf
Toon Link
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Ganandorf

High Tier
Forgot this one WHoopers
Umm Metal Knight
Zamus (wierd name i know)
Pit
Iki
Romper
There is no way that pit, ike, meta k, toon link, and wolf are all in the bottom tiers

not only this, but there's no way that dk is top tier

also, there is no such character as golden sonic, and I don't know who you speak of with romper

RedBaron73

Smash Cadet
There is no way that pit, ike, meta k, toon link, and wolf are all in the bottom tiers

not only this, but there's no way that dk is top tier

also, there is no such character as golden sonic, and I don't know who you speak of with romper
In Basshunter's messy post, he mentioned that the tier at the end of the post was the high tier (he forgot about it).

erasmus_42

Smash Rookie
Here's my view on the top tier.

Top-

1. Pit
2. Fox/Falco
3. Marth
4. Toon Link
5. Wolf

Wolf and T-Link could be switched around.
---

I don't know if I'd put Pit in the top. Hard to knock off, but in my fights against he doesn't seem to have any real finishers. TL and Marth are getting a lot of top tier placements.

It feels like a good amount of nerfing and buffing took place to even all the BRAWLers out.
For ex, my buddy mained Fox in MELEE, but he's taken a serious beating at the hands of developers.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I figure these characters will be around the top:

Ice Climbers - I expect them to be top tier to be honest. I've seen some videos and they are so freaking amazing. They can combo the hell out of any character, have a chain grab (works up to at least 75%, possibly higher), and have plenty of KO potential between the awesome grab > spike combo and decent power in general. As the game is now, I don't see how a character could top them. The only downside I see would be recovery, if you lose Nana it's going to hurt you a lot.

Wolf - Most people seem to agree on this one. Great range, great priority, just an awesome character in general. I think if the game gets deeper he may get knocked off based on other characters skills and techniques, but as it is now, he's definitely one of the best.

Olimar - Has some amazing combos, some of which can kill from 0%. He definitely has a disadvantage though when it comes to his Pikmin, since the colors he pulls and keeping them alive is a huge part of his game.

Toon Link - Good projectiles, good power, good speed, all around good character. Honestly, I don't know any faults he has aside from the fact his grab is really really slow if he misses it, but so are all tether grabs. I also don't play against him (or with him) too often, but I have seen quite a few videos.

A few other notes about characters:

Dedede - Overrated. If his chain grab is as good as people make it out to be (which it seems to be) then walk-off stages will be banned for sure. While this doesn't totally ruin Dedede, it will hurt his game a lot and probably keep him out of the top.

Pit - Also very overrated. He has a good projectile, priority, but that's it. His attacks in general lack range compared to other characters that he would be competing with, and his recovery, while it covers a great distance, is easily gimped. Just hit him while he uses up-b and he's gone. Honestly, I think Pit will be the Roy of Brawl. The casual player savior, but not too good in competitive play.

Marth - Good character, but I don't think he'll be on the top. Definitely pretty high though. I think people give him just a bit too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom