• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
Dedede, doesn't lose anything from not having walk off stages. They only give him another way to get KOs. he usually gets kills from edguguards and using his forward air to knock out. I still doubt that he can get to top tier, but he is atl east high teir for sure. TOop of mid tier at worst

proddette

Smash Rookie
My opinion of the tiers.
Top Tier
Marth
Donky Kong (white outfit is kreepy)
Ice Jumbers
Diddy Kong

Deadly Tier
Mario + Luigi (Kinda a team thing)
Bowser
Squints
Samus
Link
Zelda

Middle Tier
PokeRMON trainer
Golden Sonic
Wario
Ness
Lucas
Toon Link

Low Tier
Sonic
Snake
The robot whos name i cant remember. (is it just robot?)
Pikmin
Falco
Sonic
Fox

Low Tier
DeDeDeDe
Wolf
Toon Link
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Ganandorf

High Tier
Forgot this one WHoopers
Umm Metal Knight
Zamus (wierd name i know)
Pit
Iki
Romper
You have 2 Low Tiers, and a High Tier that is on the bottom. Not to mention everything is not accurate to begin with. (lol TL in low and middle, but link on "deadly" tier)

1337pengwin

Smash Rookie
I lol'd at basshunter. troll mayblol?

anyways, any reason rob isn't given much credit?
I agree with toon link, wolf, marth, and mk all being high tier, but I think rob is getting left out. I don't make tiers, but just a suggestion.

Epok

Smash Ace
These are in no particular order in the tiers.

Marth
Wolf
MetaKnight
Diddy
Pit
Toon Link
Olimar
G&W

HIGH
Fox
Squirtle
Snake
Sonic
Dedede
Luigi
Shiek
Peach
Falco

MIDDLE
IC's
Zelda
ZS Samus
Lucas
Ike
Warrio
Mario
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
ROB
Venusaur

LOW
Lucario
DK
Gannon
Bowser
Jiggily
Link
Ness

BOTTOM
Yoshi
Chrizard

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
whoever says that wolf is bad is an idiot lol!

his aerial attacks can ko at relatively low percentages and are very easy to hit with. His smash attacks are very strong too.

Wolf should easily be high or top tier simply because he can ko very easily and his attacks are ridiculously easy to connect with.

erasmus_42

Smash Rookie

Marth
Wolf
MetaKnight
Diddy
Pit
Toon Link
Olimar
G&W

HIGH
Fox
Squirtle
Snake
Sonic
Dedede
Luigi
Shiek
Peach
Falco

MIDDLE
IC's
Zelda
ZS Samus
Lucas
Ike
Warrio
Mario
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
ROB
Venusaur

LOW
Lucario
DK
Gannon
Bowser
Jiggily
Link
Ness

BOTTOM
Yoshi
Chrizard
Can't agree with Peach in the high tier (middle or low, perhaps?), but otherwise a pretty solid ranking.

Basshunter

Smash Rookie
Everyone who doesnt know **** about ice climbers puts them in middle tier just cause they have no idea what the **** they are doing. Yes my first post was a joke but IC'S are definitely top or high tier. Just cause everyone puts them in the middle doesnt mean it's true. Grabbing/charging with Nana is basically a 100 percent ko if at >90%.

P.S. Romper > All

zB.

Smash Cadet
The IC's are definitely good, but you're forced to grab if you want to use them most effectively. This could present a serious problem if your opponent plays in the air, uses projectiles, has big hitboxes, or just in general stays away from you. They're not bad by any means, but by focusing a lot of their playstyle on grabs, their overall effectiveness becomes slightly limited.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, I don't think anyone else has, so I'll post the Prima guide, on how they rank the characters.

And no, I don't recommend taking them seriously. -_-;

TOP (8-10 overall ranking)

Marth (9)
Wolf (8)
Captain Falcon (8)
Diddy Kong (8)
Peach (8)
Snake (8)
Toon Link (8)

MIDDLE (6-7 overall ranking)

Bowser (7)
Falco (7)
Mario (7)
Jigglypuff (7)
King Dedede (7)
Link (7)
Lucario (7)
Lucas (7)
Ness (7)
Pit (7)
Pokemon Trainer (7)
Zero Suit Samus (7)
Sheik (7)
Sonic (7)
Luigi (6)
Mr. Game and Watch (6)
Meta Knight (6)
Ice Climbers (6)
Ike (6)
Fox (6)
Ganondorf (6)
Donkey Kong (6)
R.O.B. (6)
Samus (6)

BOTTOM (5 overall ranking)

Pikachu (5)
Kirby (5)
Wario (5)
Yoshi (5)

So as you can tell... Almost all of this list is complete garbage. Though I can assure you, Wolf, Toon Link, Marth, Diddy Kong, and Snake will be in the high and top tiers. Maybe even Pikachu. Fox, Falco, Lucas, and MAYBE Zero Suit Samus.

Basshunter

Smash Rookie
Romper is a fictional Anti-nazi barracuda who lived in the hearts of millions of Jewish Children during the Holocaust until he was eventually killed by firing squad. He had great recovery and quick powerful smashes. He also could recite the entire Goonies script.
R.I.P. Romper

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
Well, I don't think anyone else has, so I'll post the Prima guide, on how they rank the characters.

And no, I don't recommend taking them seriously. -_-;

TOP (8-10 overall ranking)

Marth (9)
Wolf (8)
Captain Falcon (8)
Diddy Kong (8)
Peach (8)
Snake (8)
Toon Link (8)

MIDDLE (6-7 overall ranking)

Bowser (7)
Falco (7)
Mario (7)
Jigglypuff (7)
King Dedede (7)
Link (7)
Lucario (7)
Lucas (7)
Ness (7)
Pit (7)
Pokemon Trainer (7)
Zero Suit Samus (7)
Sheik (7)
Sonic (7)
Luigi (6)
Mr. Game and Watch (6)
Meta Knight (6)
Ice Climbers (6)
Ike (6)
Fox (6)
Ganondorf (6)
Donkey Kong (6)
R.O.B. (6)
Samus (6)

BOTTOM (5 overall ranking)

Pikachu (5)
Kirby (5)
Wario (5)
Yoshi (5)

So as you can tell... Almost all of this list is complete garbage. Though I can assure you, Wolf, Toon Link, Marth, Diddy Kong, and Snake will be in the high and top tiers. Maybe even Pikachu. Fox, Falco, Lucas, and MAYBE Zero Suit Samus.
LOL @ Prima. I agree with your high/top tier assessment, too.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The IC's are definitely good, but you're forced to grab if you want to use them most effectively. This could present a serious problem if your opponent plays in the air, uses projectiles, has big hitboxes, or just in general stays away from you. They're not bad by any means, but by focusing a lot of their playstyle on grabs, their overall effectiveness becomes slightly limited.
A good IC player know how to desynch well. They can deal with a larg hitbox with a SH Blizzard/ Solo suall. Ice Climbers also have good air game and a very strong bair. They also don't HAVE to rely on grabs to win, they have very strong attacks and Solo SH Blizzards can do wonder when setting up a smash attack.

If you can desynch, you should be able to use Nana as a shield for projectiles while you will be able to chase the camper. And them having such good grabs is what makes them so good. Wiith a new infinate that probably won't be banned in most tourneys and the grab Nanaspike combo, etc. they should be atleast mid high tier. The only reason I wouldn't say top is because when Nana dies Popo is effected alot. But you shouldn't have to worry about them getting seperated as much since the Nana AI is smarter and resynchs alot faster.

And when Popo dies and the few seconds when Nana is still alive she will actually smash the oponent when they think they might've one that stock and stop moving for a second. Then Nana will go and Rack up more damage, OR if they have high enough damage, get a stock for you.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
My Tier List

Top Tier:

Marth
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Wolf
Snake
R.O.B.

High Tier:

Zelda
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Ness
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Zamus
Pickachu
Ike
Pit
Meta Knight
Sonic

Middle Tier:

Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Lucas
Bowser
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Link
Kirby
Peach

Low:

Gannondorf
Wario
Captain Falcon
JigglyPuff

Well here's my tier, I think its pretty accurate after playing but, I want to hear what you guys have to say. Also did I miss any characters?

ClobberinTime

Smash Rookie
Illussionary- yours is the 2nd tier list I've seen w/o regular Samus, only Zamus. Is there a reason for this?

templar rage

Smash Cadet

Marth
Wolf
MetaKnight
Diddy
Pit
Toon Link
Olimar
G&W

HIGH
Fox
Squirtle
Snake
Sonic
Dedede
Luigi
Shiek
Peach
Falco

MIDDLE
IC's
Zelda
ZS Samus
Lucas
Ike
Warrio
Mario
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
ROB
Venusaur

LOW
Lucario
DK
Gannon
Bowser
Jiggily
Link
Ness

BOTTOM
Yoshi
Chrizard
Well, first thing's first. Its "Ivysaur", not Venusaur.

Second, I agree that Peach should not be High Tier

Third, Fox and Falco do not deserve to be knocked off, they are still worthy of top tier.

Fourth, MK is High-Middle, at best, he has no KO potential

Fifth, Lucario is also High-Middle, you obviously don't play him very much.

Sixth, Charizard does not deserve bottom, where DK does

Seventh, Sonic should be lower for the same reason MK does

Eighth, ZSS and Zelda probably deserve bottom of high tier, since Zelda is improved and ZSS is a good balance of speed and power(Side-B is devestating when hit correctly)

Wow, that was more than I meant to find, sorry for destroying your list

P.S. Not really sure why Diddy deserves to be top tier, but I don't play as him or against him that much, so I'm not really qualified to say. The same reason I don't post my own list, I don't play as or against enough people to make a list worth anything to anyone. But I do play enough to spot errors with the characters I do see.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
In about a year watch the tier list take us completely off guard.
In a year so much about a character's meta-game can change.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
This is my elite Tier List!

Top Tier:

Marth
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Wolf
Snake
R.O.B.

High Tier:

Zelda
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Ness
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Zamus
Pickachu
Ike
Pit
Meta Knight
Sonic
Sheik

Middle Tier:
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Lucas
Bowser
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Link
Kirby
Peach

Low:

Gannondorf
Wario
Captain Falcon
JigglyPuff

Is this pretty accurrate so far?

Organelle

Smash Rookie
Lol, well guys, this is my first post so dont flame me too bad... ;D

Anyways, I was one of the old school smash bros. players from the N64 days and the first half of the life of melee, so my terminology may be off for now as well...

But I came to this forum in hopes of finding out more about my new pick for a tourney character.

With smash bros. I was very successful in tournament play with Kirby who turned out to be top tier...he got majorly nerfed in melee so I jumped ship to fox who also turned out to be top tier, and I did relatively well in tourneys, but I just hated his play style and the play styles of the other top tiers, so I decided to take a couple years off.

Now brawl is here, and I find myself liking Snake very much. I also see him have a lot of potential for combos. Additionally, his survivability for his weight/size is amazing, especially with the help of the flying camera. I see a lot of you guys ranking him high- and top- and before I definitively decide to make him my main, I just want to know why you guys are ranking him high- and top- this early in the games life cycle? Because I am the type who likes to become obsessed with one character and Fox bored me, and Snake is drawing me back in. So if you guys could shoot me some snake feedback particularly that would be great ;D. Thanks.

Edit: And the reason for the snake oriented post is simply because you guys are ranking him high- or top- along with myself, but I haven't seen anyone really say why or dispute his placement within the last 25 pages or so of this thread.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Lol, well guys, this is my first post so dont flame me too bad... ;D

Anyways, I was one of the old school smash bros. players from the N64 days and the first half of the life of melee, so my terminology may be off for now as well...

But I came to this forum in hopes of finding out more about my new pick for a tourney character.

With smash bros. I was very successful in tournament play with Kirby who turned out to be top tier...he got majorly nerfed in melee so I jumped ship to fox who also turned out to be top tier, and I did relatively well in tourneys, but I just hated his play style and the play styles of the other top tiers, so I decided to take a couple years off.

Now brawl is here, and I find myself liking Snake very much. I also see him have a lot of potential for combos. Additionally, his survivability for his weight/size is amazing, especially with the help of the flying camera. I see a lot of you guys ranking him high- and top- and before I definitively decide to make him my main, I just want to know why you guys are ranking him high- and top- this early in the games life cycle? Because I am the type who likes to become obsessed with one character and Fox bored me, and Snake is drawing me back in. So if you guys could shoot me some snake feedback particularly that would be great ;D. Thanks.

Edit: And the reason for the snake oriented post is simply because you guys are ranking him high- or top- along with myself, but I haven't seen anyone really say why or dispute his placement within the last 25 pages or so of this thread.
I ranked him so high because of his damage potential, recoveries, his Ftilt KO move, also for his ability to enemies at range, and he has good grabs also. He is a very well rounded character and also a prime choice for a main. Watch Physcho ****** Films he is a reall pro with snake.

Organelle

Smash Rookie
I ranked him so high because of his damage potential, recoveries, his Ftilt KO move, also for his ability to enemies at range, and he has good grabs also. He is a very well rounded character and also a prime choice for a main. Watch Physcho ****** Films he is a reall pro with snake.
Thanks for the recommendation man, this guy is really good with snake, which is surprising considering he is a brand new character.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
One thing I noticed in this thread, is that players put characters where ever they feel like if they don't know much about them. The IC's for example have been consistently placed in mid tier, but anyone who knows anything about them will say that they're high tier at the least. Other players keep putting Sonic in high or mid tier, despite the fact that his attacks are rather slow on startup and cool down with little damage, priority, range, or knockback. One thing I find funny is that some players consider PT one character while Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zamus are considered two completely different characters. I'm simply urging players to actually learn something about the characters before slapping them into any ranking they feel like.

Tark

Smash Rookie
Marth is Top.......That wont change
Gannon........Should atleast be mid
Thats my input

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
One thing I noticed in this thread, is that players put characters where ever they feel like if they don't know much about them. The IC's for example have been consistently placed in mid tier, but anyone who knows anything about them will say that they're high tier at the least. Other players keep putting Sonic in high or mid tier, despite the fact that his attacks are rather slow on startup and cool down with little damage, priority, range, or knockback. One thing I find funny is that some players consider PT one character while Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zamus are considered two completely different characters. I'm simply urging players to actually learn something about the characters before slapping them into any ranking they feel like.
I put Ice Climbers mid because they are easily gimpable, for example if you kill one of them, the recovery is gone. Also the reason PT is one character while Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus are different, is because PT was meant to create synergy between three characters(one reason why they are so easily changeable) and also if you limit yourself to only playing only one the Pokemon in PTs aresenal you are destined to fail. End of Story

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Well, pokémon trainer is forced to switch at KO, so it isn't unreasonable to call him one char. Also each pokémon gets weaker after some use (two mins?) so that is another reason to lump him together.

Algid

Smash Rookie
olimar is definitely high tier material with his fast smashes, long range grab, etc.

big problem for olimar though is that he gets gimped on recovery too easily

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I put Ice Climbers mid because they are easily gimpable, for example if you kill one of them, the recovery is gone. Also the reason PT is one character while Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus are different, is because PT was meant to create synergy between three characters(one reason why they are so easily changeable) and also if you limit yourself to only playing only one the Pokemon in PTs aresenal you are destined to fail. End of Story
Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus were meant to have synergy just like PT. Not all three pokemon are equal, so it's best to rank them separately. As for the IC's, almost all of their match-ups are either fair or good, with only one or two bad match-ups that are probably 4/6 at most. They also excel in about every area of them game, such as approach, camping, edge guarding, etc. As I said before, people simply don't know much about the characters they're ranking.

Kaneyoshi

Smash Rookie
I agree with Tark saying that Gannon(ol school spellin!) should be at least mid tier and I think maybe even higher, Peopl think he's low because they try to use the melee style or only play against other people that try to use the melee style, which really doesn't work in brawl.

In melee, Ganonn's best approach was by aerials which were great in speed, damage, and ko'ing capability, neutral a was a spammable 'panic button', up b was his only recovery move(aside from down b, jump, repeat) and he had to keep his opponents under pressure.

Now however, Gannon's aerial game is second and is supplementary to his ground game, neutral a is slower, *more* moves are kill moves, side b goes further and can actually grab the edge(instead of open hand slamming THROUGH the edge just perfectly), combo starters now hit too far and combo enders are now combo starters. Gannondorf has difficulty intiating now and he is more reactive thanx to his embarrassing and embarrassingly slow run(that was what I meant to say) . Playing him well in Brawl requires more defensive skill then in Melee.

He has not been nerfed, just changed, quite possibly boosted now that he has more and better recoveries.

-Nitta Kaneyoshi.

Whuditdew

Smash Rookie
Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus were meant to have synergy just like PT. Not all three pokemon are equal, so it's best to rank them separately. As for the IC's, almost all of their match-ups are either fair or good, with only one or two bad match-ups that are probably 4/6 at most. They also excel in about every area of them game, such as approach, camping, edge guarding, etc. As I said before, people simply don't know much about the characters they're ranking.
You can chose Zero Suit Samus and Sheik from the start up screen.

You can not choose a specific Pokemon form the startup screen.

You can use Zero Suit Samus and Sheik all match with no drawbacks.

You can use Pokemon all match but they will become fatigued after two minutes.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Zamus is pretty much a seperate char. She cannot turn back without smash balls, and if they really wanted to create synergy with Zelda/Shiek they wouldn't have made the transform time so long. That is my view...

@ ^: You actually can choose a pokemon at char select... correct info forms a better argument

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788

On the contrary. You can choose your starting pokemon by selecting their picture, just like how you select it with Zelda/Shiek.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace

You can choose specific pokemon at the startup screen, and the two minute rule has already been debunked(I forget what the specific time is).

Florida

イーグランツ
Top Tier:

Marth
Toon Link
Ike
Fox
Falco
King Dedede

High Tier:

Olimar
Diddy Kong