• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gindler

Smash Champion
because noones knows how much hes improved scince melee,yoshi is prolly the most underrated character right now.

IC are the l337ness now,they gonna be upper tier for sho!
True dat, even I knew he sucked in melee. Gimp city but I still loved him, but now his recovery is nearly impossible to gimp.

ICs are an annoyance to my secondaries but they're not maneuverable enough in the air to combat me, then again they usually stay grounded and go for grabs from the ones I have played (and beat :laugh:) but I do love the way ICs play, Nair is just like marth's but with hammers.

and yes, ganon isn't too bad. when his side B actually hits it is sooooo annoying cause there's no getting away from his kick or punch that's coming next. and you can't follow him off the edge or he'll just "ganoncide" you and that's always embarassing. :ohwell:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
and yes, ganon isn't too bad. when his side B actually hits it is sooooo annoying cause there's no getting away from his kick or punch that's coming next. and you can't follow him off the edge or he'll just "ganoncide" you and that's always embarassing. :ohwell:
it's all a mindgame there... once his sideb chokes you, you can roll left, roll right, stand up, or attack to stand up.

G-dorf has an attack which can beat any of these attempts... but he has to correctly guess what you are going to do... so I guess you just need to be less predicatble ;)

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
..I just tried Yoshi today, he seems to at least mid-low.

And people stop putting Sonic on the bottom. =/

You obviously don't know how to use him correctly. It isn't all about spindashing all around.

F-B > DJC'D F-B > Uair ftw. :3

Seriously Sonic game is getting his grabs, and knowing when to spinsdash.

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
Well, at least he didn't leave out a character that matters, right?
Oh come on. He matters a hell of alot more than ganondorf and look at all the discussion that he gets.

Hey you used to hang out on System Wars. Why did you leave?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh come on. He matters a hell of alot more than ganondorf and look at all the discussion that he gets.

Hey you used to hang out on System Wars. Why did you leave?
1. Gamespot is owned by Microsoft (basically), so it became impossible to stay there when every discussion is based off of their reviews for games.

2. Halo 3 scored higher than Metroid Prime 3, and I said if that would happen, I would leave forever.

3. When #2 occured, I made one last big rant on everything I hate about system wars and had my account perma-banned. It's a good thing too, I didn't notice how much time I wasted there doing nothing constructive. I should have trolled more there.

Yoshi doesn't matter at all... still. I'm beginning to wonder if Nintendo is trying to wane Yoshi out of games altogether. Like, where was he in Mario Galaxies? Srsly!

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
1. Gamespot is owned by Microsoft (basically), so it became impossible to stay there when every discussion is based off of their reviews for games.

2. Halo 3 scored higher than Metroid Prime 3, and I said if that would happen, I would leave forever.

3. When #2 occured, I made one last big rant on everything I hate about system wars and had my account perma-banned. It's a good thing too, I didn't notice how much time I wasted there doing nothing constructive. I should have trolled more there.

Yoshi doesn't matter at all... still. I'm beginning to wonder if Nintendo is trying to wane Yoshi out of games altogether. Like, where was he in Mario Galaxies? Srsly!
You're account is totally still active. You arent permabanned. I just checked. I doubt you would mess with it anyway, though.

and I wich Yoshi would get more love from Nintendo. He is so awesome.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, after extensive trial and error figuring out what my 4-year-old account e-mail password was again, I did finally log on.

This is probably bad for my health.

Note:
As soon as I logged in, I got a message stating I have lost a point from an infraction... for something from FEB. 7 2007!!!!! I hate GS.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
The only representation Yoshi got in SMG was being a head for choosing your file and a brown planet in some Gusty Garden Galaxy.

Bleargh.

Sike119

Smash Rookie
There is no such thing as tiers anymore, as far as I'm concerned. And don't know how you can define a character as "top tier" anymore, it all depends on how you use them.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Idiocy at its finest.

This is why I strongly suggest that most people in the AZ thread should stay there. I'm out here trolling newbies as hard as I can so you guys don't have to get your hands dirty or get poisoned by the sheer stupidity of the current majority of posters.

Tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Idiocy at its finest.

Was that really needed? Yeah, it's obvious that guy is an idiot, but how many times do we need t reply to such people? Just forget about them and move on with the discussion.

On Topid: G&W is getting a bit predictable, other than his dthrow. Anyone else noticing this? Maybe it's just the ones I'm playing against (and the GnW I play as myself).

St. Viers

Smash Champion
dude, every character only has ~15 moves, 2-5 jumps, and 4 directions to throw. It isn't the characters fault, it's the player ;)

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Yes Tier:

MK
DDD
Snake
Pit
Marth
Ike
TL
Falco
Shiek
Wolf
Pikachu
Olimar
ROB
Lucas

Meh tier:

Everyone else

No tier:

Ganon
Samus
Bowser
Link

:3

Quit dividing.
'scuci? how is Bowser in the no tier? That's like putting Meta Knight in the no tier. That's like putting DK in the meh tier. What's wrong with you?

......brain damage? Alright, sorry I made fun of you, you brain damaged fool. But yea, your preposterous tier is.......well....preposterous.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
To everyone who keeps saying:
yoshi's not bottom, or falcon's not bottom, or bowser should be higher or kirby should be higher, etc.

here's the thing, someone has to be low. It's that simple. you can't go on your rant about how (insert character here) should be higher when you can in no way justify that character being better than any character currently listed above it

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Game and Watch does get a lot easier once you realize not to **** with his back air, you roll out of the way of his dthrow -> dsmash combo, and you force him to approach with his fair, than punish him for it since it is one of his only moves with a lot of lag after it.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
To everyone who keeps saying:
yoshi's not bottom, or falcon's not bottom, or bowser should be higher or kirby should be higher, etc.

here's the thing, someone has to be low. It's that simple. you can't go on your rant about how (insert character here) should be higher when you can in no way justify that character being better than any character currently listed above it
But Falcon, although I don't think he should be low, IS low, because everyone else is just better. Bowser IS better than a LOT of characters. DK IS better than a LOT of character. Sure, Bowser has a lot of bad matchups, but all of them are in the higher tiers. The people who think he's low are the people who don't know even how to play Brawl yet.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble seeing how Link is ranked so low on all these lists, yet Toon Link is near the top of them. In my experience the two have a Dr. Mario to Mario level of separation at the most.
Toon and regular Link are worlds apart. Toon Link is twice as fast, and jumps twice as high as normal Link, not to mention Link falls like a rock and Toon Link is pretty average. That alone seperates them quite a lot. Their attacks might not be too different (though still more different than between Doc and Mario) visually, but the stats are far seperated.

Doc and Mario just had a few attack changes, with nearly identical stats otherwise.

As for why T. Link is rated so much higher... he's got almost ever advantage normal Link does, plus more on top of them, and none of Link's weaknesses. Disjointed hitboxes? Check, though shorter (speed makes up for it, though). Great projectiles? Yep, and maybe even better than normal Link. And T. Link doesn't have a horrible recovery, or terrible jumping height. And he can combo (much as Brawl allows, anyway).

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Esp. if you see how the Link Community has discovered so many advanced techniques, that are really ****ing beast.
psh...

They do, but half of them are pessimests with their character and admit he isn't good. Link and TLink are way different, they both are good in their own respects, just TL is better against who matters...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
But Falcon, although I don't think he should be low, IS low, because everyone else is just better. Bowser IS better than a LOT of characters. DK IS better than a LOT of character. Sure, Bowser has a lot of bad matchups, but all of them are in the higher tiers. The people who think he's low are the people who don't know even how to play Brawl yet.
just a preface, I'm not saying falcon is better than bowser, keep in mind I admit bowser is MUCH better than falcon.

that having been said:
bowser might have more decent matchups than falcon has, falcon's opponent is favoured to win in the grand majority of his matchups, however, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, though falcon has more "bad" matchups, bowser has more "terrible" matchups. There are some characters that just thrive on big, slow, heavy characters and are quite capable of punishing bowser over and over again. He simply gets outclassed way too often not to be low tier. his good matchups prevent him from being bottom tier, but his bad matchups keep him from being mid tier.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
TL is so... the disjointed hitbox is so.... short. Plus, besides the arrow, his projectiles aren't as good. His recovery is beasty, but Link is much heavier, I do not have many recovery issues with Link, but I suppose if I were playing against a very aggressive edgeguarder than I would have issues. Link's zair is pretty beasty, but other than that TL has the better Aerials. They both have good ground moves, one has better range, the other is much faster. TL is definitely better, but I do not think he can honestly be top tier, and link be at the very bottom, I find that ridiculous.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Also, I think regular Link has a better dodge/air dodge. It is far easier for me at least, to dodge attacks with Regular link. I am pretty sure certain characters have more dodge frames than others.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I think link is slightly underrated and I think, despite his low status, he's actually quite tough for even some upper level chaarcters, like Meta Knight. However, link's terrible recovery and inferior speed clearly land him in a much lower tier than his tiny counterpart. Why? well, simply TL doesn;t hve those problems, and everything else about him is almost as good if not just as good as Link

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Like, Link does well against Meta Knight, until Metaknight tries comboing you up off the stage, or edgeguards you. The Zair isn't very great against Meta Knight and smaller characters, which is a major problem for Link, but you can still KO him at fairly low percentages with a variety of moves, Spin, uair, dair, 2nd hit of fair, fsmash, dsmash, or the utilt. And your bombs can own his Mach Tornado fairly easy.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I think Sonic and ZSS are also worse. They have really bad kill moves, the only thing they have going on is speed/recovery and a decent back air to finish people off with, if you manage to get them in a great edgeguard situation.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Sonic's Fsmash is really his only good move to KO people, unless you knock them off the stage and you have to bair them, the same goes with ZSS, it feels like she has to catch you near the top of the stage, or near one of the edges just to have a chance at KOing you under 150%. Perhaps one of these 2 could gimp your recovery on Link, so they wouldn't need to get a traditional kill, but those kills are harder to get.
Also, Link could tether guard the Edge and really **** ZSS's recovery, it is obscenely easy to do.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Sheik has terrible kill moves in Brawl, the only good kill moves she has are, her fsmash on the second hit, IF you get them near the Edge at a decent percentage, but her fsmash is slow imo. Her dsmash is decent, but only when you compare it to her other moves, her usmash hits hard, but its pretty bad. Her fair is bad considering they need like 150% dmg for that move to kill them. Her needles got changed, so they are more annoying to use, and i believe they have less range. her side-b looks really ****ing bad, it isn't useful in tether guarding instances since it is harder to double spam. Sheik's best move now, is probably to turn into Zelda :p. Her Uair and Dair aren't kill moves. Her bair might be decent, but overall she just seems like a bad version of ZSS, who isn't all that great IMO.

Mario is decent, but his recovery is rather ****ty in this one since they nerfed the cape recovery, and flood is pretty ****ing worthless, its just a waste of a move slot, the times i accidently take flood out seem to be to big of a risk comtpared to the rewards being 0.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Also, even though Link has a slow ftilt and fsmash, you can jab cancel into a smash or tilt, that they can not avoid, so all you really have to do is... jab them, and they are going to get hit by one of your other moves. The advanced techniques really make Link, a much much better character. I also hear about Snake players complaining about Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom