• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Game Disc Ripping Thread: File Structure up! Stages! ATs! Roster!

Tunaria

Smash Rookie
I found this interesting:
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dixie.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dr_mario.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_mewtwo.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_pra_mai.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_roy.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_sheik.pac
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_zelda.pac

Btw, there aren't enough files to "unlock" them via hacking. They were in the game or partially in at some point.
At least we know which character were considered to be added to Brawl, but didn't make the cut due to time constraints or other reasons, though Pichu is the only one missing Melee-character.

Not to beat on a dead horse, but I still wish that at least Mewtwo and Roy were added to Brawl among the Melee-cast. I mean, Mewtwo already have a pretty unique moveset and Roy could have easily been de-cloned in the same manner as the Starfox-trio.

Toon Zelda would have been a nice addition along Toon Link, though it seems that they planned to make her a Zelda clone with Toon Sheik being there and all...

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
However, what makes this peculiar is that there are files to seven unused characters in Brawl. Melee, which was more rushed than Brawl, has no unused character files. Why would Sakurai leave stray data on the disc, when he might of omitted all of the Pokeballs, ATs, and music for the sakes of space?
My thoughts exactly. There must be a logical reasoning for this, which is why many people have suggested DLC. But who knows?

Also I corrected my list.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Or, that's what it is called in Japan. -_- Seriously, I bet if the Forbidden 7 consisted on Geno, Ridley, Krystal, Mega Man, etc., we would have known the contents to Brawl's second layer a long time ago, because everyone would be like "hack that ****". However, since the character there are meh in the eyes of most people, there is no real urgency to find out. Evidence to support this is are people trying to find ways to suggest Geno was in the game (that BS rumor about him being cut do a diagreement with Square, that SMPRG track made with Mario Paint, and now that Yo'ster Island). Geno was never in the game.
I'm not trying to support Geno anymore...I just thought it was funny. That's all. It's plausible it was meant only as a reference to the game, not anything more...or that they intended to use anything more.

And we haven't cracked Brawl's second layer? Is it just being problematic? It's HALF the game data! We really should be looking at it...just to see. We might get a suprise (via assists or whatnot.)

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to add my two cents here on the game ripping. I think it can really go both ways.

On the one hand, most dual layered games work about the same way. The filelist is the same on both layers, it's just the data that is shuffled around. This fits Brawl perfectly so far, as we have filenames for the movies, but because that data is on the 2nd layer (as shown a few pages back), they would point to a file that didn't exist and crash on the people using the 1st layer crack. This, of course, would mean we know all the data and such that is in the game.

However, all this cut content really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Cutting things is no big deal, happens in every game out there. The cut "characters" we see are merely shells. But it is a little strange to see items and music cut out, considering, well, those don't really affect anything. One could make the argument items do effect the game, but I mean, Sakurai isn't one to be worried about item balance. So why, then, would he cut them? They were all shown in recent demos (which doesn't mean everything, considering a demo can be made at any time in development on any current or older "build" of the game), which mean they were fully realized and worked. So...why not here? One answer could be is we haven't discovered them yet in the data.

However, that really is a stretch. I mean, why would movies spill over onto the 2nd disk with a reference to them on the first, but not items?

I guess there is still hope, if only because, as I said, cutting those types of things that far in development is very, very strange. What we'll need is someone with the dual layer copy to go into training mode, and just start slamming out Pokeballs and ATs and recording who comes out. If there's only 27 people popping out of those ATs, and no one else, then we can be sure that this is all the data.

For better or for worse. I know I'm not complaining.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
OBSERVATION!

If Yoshi's Island really is represented by the file tag Yorster...we, my friends have a SMRPG reference!

The yoshi's lived on Yo'Ster Island...now I don't know about Brawl's file coding, but I'm betting apostrophes are not allowed. What Roman character appears to look like one? The lowercase letter r...kinda. It's a stretch, but there you go!
You know, thats something I didn't know about. If there is any kind of reference to my favorite game of all time into Brawl I will die of fanboy happiness. My fondest memories from gaming were from playing Super Mario RPG. It was one of the first real games that I played where you discovered stuff, not just ran through a level.

Also, some people mentioned DLC. You know, I certainly hope there is DLC but I'm not really going to hold my breath for it. I'm just going to trust Nintendo here. They've made some good games in the past, and I'm sure they had some reason for cutting stuff. If they felt that items or characters were subpar, then I salute them for making a tough call and cutting some things. I'd rather have the amount of characters we do now, without all the ones that just didn't seem fun to play.

Just my 2 cents...

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Don't get too happy...it's just a filename that won't appear when you play...it's a REALLY well hidden Easter Egg that might not be intentional to appear the way it does.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just wanted to add my two cents here on the game ripping. I think it can really go both ways.

On the one hand, most dual layered games work about the same way. The filelist is the same on both layers, it's just the data that is shuffled around. This fits Brawl perfectly so far, as we have filenames for the movies, but because that data is on the 2nd layer (as shown a few pages back), they would point to a file that didn't exist and crash on the people using the 1st layer crack. This, of course, would mean we know all the data and such that is in the game.

However, all this cut content really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Cutting things is no big deal, happens in every game out there. The cut "characters" we see are merely shells. But it is a little strange to see items and music cut out, considering, well, those don't really affect anything. One could make the argument items do effect the game, but I mean, Sakurai isn't one to be worried about item balance. So why, then, would he cut them? They were all shown in recent demos (which doesn't mean everything, considering a demo can be made at any time in development on any current or older "build" of the game), which mean they were fully realized and worked. So...why not here? One answer could be is we haven't discovered them yet in the data.

However, that really is a stretch. I mean, why would movies spill over onto the 2nd disk with a reference to them on the first, but not items?

I guess there is still hope, if only because, as I said, cutting those types of things that far in development is very, very strange. What we'll need is someone with the dual layer copy to go into training mode, and just start slamming out Pokeballs and ATs and recording who comes out. If there's only 27 people popping out of those ATs, and no one else, then we can be sure that this is all the data.

For better or for worse. I know I'm not complaining.
The problem is that these Pokemon, Assist Trophies, and music tracks were still in the game a few weeks ago, Muddy Mole was at Whobby a week before Brawl's original release. Muddy Mole is not an Assist Trophy according the Debug Menu, leading people to speculate that the second side of the disk has the data for these "cut" ATs and Pokemon. Unfortunately, if what you said is true, then that means these things are out. It makes no sense for Sakurai to cut all of these things out two weeks before, which means that the demo was probably of an earlier version of the game. However, if these Pokemon, music tracks, and ATs were cut, why is there no trace of their existence (aside from the music tracks which can be inferred by numbering). Why do the "cut" characters still have their files, yet the ATs and Pokemon from a near-final version have their's completely omitted?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder, if these Pokemon, music tracks, and ATs were cut, then why is there no trace of their existence (aside from the music tracks which can be inferred by numbering). Why do the "cut" characters still have their files, yet the ATs and Pokemon from a near-final version have their's completely omitted?

Celebi23, it has been two days since you said you downloaded the dual-layer version of Brawl, yet you have not posted anything about it. Was it due to not finding all of the cut content? Don't be disappointed, this merely a result of Sakurai's stupidity for deciding to focus on music and cut-scenes instead of stuff gameplay related.... :ohwell:

Edit: I posted in the wrong topic.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dixie.pac - Dixie Kong
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dr_mario.pac - Dr. Mario
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_mewtwo.pac - Mewtwo
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_roy.pac - Roy
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_sheik.pac - Windwaker Sheik
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_zelda.pac - Windwaker Zelda

But who exactly is \RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_pra_mai.pac ?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dixie.pac - Dixie Kong
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_dr_mario.pac - Dr. Mario
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_mewtwo.pac - Mewtwo
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_roy.pac - Roy
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_sheik.pac - Windwaker Sheik
\RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_toon_zelda.pac - Windwaker Zelda

But who exactly is \RSBJ01\effect\fighter\ef_pra_mai.pac ?
Pra_Mai is most likely referring to Plusle & Minun. Notice that Pichu is the only Melee veteran not on the list (Plusle & Minun look nearly identical to Pichu). Purai and Mainun are also the Japanese names for Plusle & Minun.

yoshi934785

Smash Apprentice
Las Vegas, Nevada. Born in Houston, Texas.
The problem is that these Pokemon, Assist Trophies, and music tracks were still in the game a few weeks ago, Muddy Mole was at Whobby a week before Brawl's original release. Muddy Mole is not an Assist Trophy according the Debug Menu, leading people to speculate that the second side of the disk has the data for these "cut" ATs and Pokemon. Unfortunately, if what you said is true, then that means these things are out. It makes no sense for Sakurai to cut all of these things out two weeks before, which means that the demo was probably of an earlier version of the game. However, if these Pokemon, music tracks, and ATs were cut, why is there no trace of their existence (aside from the music tracks which can be inferred by numbering). Why do the "cut" characters still have their files, yet the ATs and Pokemon from a near-final version have their's completely omitted?
It should be noted that nearly all those ATs and Pokemon were not seen in any videos, and our only reports of them come from hearsay. They were all either lies or people just seeing things.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
As I stated, it's not like Nintendo just took their current build, put some limits on it, and called it a demo. You don't know what stage in development that demo is based on. It could have been based on a build that was the most stable but was months back, and in those months something happened.

Well, that, and like the previous poster said, we have no proof of any of that stuff from Whobby and Co. Just hearsay. As far as I know, the ATs/Pokemon/Blah blah that we DO have pictures/videos of have since all been confirmed.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why Sakurai would not include 6+ characters that were already conceived...
Especially when they could of just ported Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Roy's models over...

Why is data for several "cut" characters still in Brawl? Is it a conspiracy...?
This means that when Sakurai said "Not all will be returning", he only meant Pichu and Young Link since all other characters were planned to be in with the addition of Toon Zelda and Dixie (who would both be awesome!).

I would of gladly had the game be delayed again if it meant adding in so many fighter characters...
Maybe we'll understand in the near future...

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
It does kind of boggle the mind when you already have the code mostly written up for them, at least in the case of returning vets.. and all that's needed is model updates. Heck.. Dr. Mario would no longer have been a true clone if he kept the hurricane move as his down B.. right? I dunno. I'm not getting my hopes up about this at all. All I know is, we got short-changed. I could forgive the lack of K.Rool and Krystal if these guys had shown up as well and he'd pushed the boundaries.

munsif

Smash Cadet
missing charcter data game and watch

yes i know game and watch are in the list of charcters but it's filesize is 128 the same as all the other missing charcters which means game and watches fighter data is missing. Can anyone explain why?

if you need to check for yourself its right here

http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoi...und-on-smash-bros-brawl-disk--68272.phtml#ext

maybe if we find game and watches missing data we could find the hidden charcters incomplete data and missing assist trophies. ( yes i know its unlikely)

GenG

Smash Lord
The OST is incomplete. Yesterday I heard a techno remix of the main theme in a stage editor map and it isn't in the rip.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
yes i know game and watch are in the list of charcters but it's filesize is 128 the same as all the other missing charcters which means game and watches fighter data is missing. Can anyone explain why?

if you need to check for yourself its right here

http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoi...und-on-smash-bros-brawl-disk--68272.phtml#ext

maybe if we find game and watches missing data we could find the hidden charcters incomplete data and missing assist trophies. ( yes i know its unlikely)
G&Ws file size is small because essentially, he's just a texture. I'm fairly confident it's all there.

The OST is incomplete. Yesterday I heard a techno remix of the main theme in a stage editor map and it isn't in the rip.
People can add music to there vids. Just like the Forest Maze Scam.

GenG

Smash Lord
It was on a stage made by a friend, and we were playing the game... but don't worry, I just found the remix, is the SE Boss Battle theme.

cyber_turnip

Smash Rookie
How much space do you think Mr. Game & Watch's model and texture takes up? That probably is all of his data.

Edit: Man, shouldn't have taken so long replying.

Rubberman

Smash Rookie
What exactly do we do with the coding? Is there a program to copy and past it and basically remake tha game?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hopefully, Sakurai will mention the unused characters in the debug menu or possible future content during his speech at the GDC, which is February 18-22. If there is no mention of future content by the time Dojo stops updating, then there is pretty much no chance that the Forbidden 7 will be playable or that we will be getting future content. (Sakurai said that he would be still updating the Dojo for another two months on January 31st, so it is safe to assume that the Dojo will stop updating in either late March or early April.)

celebi23

Smash Cadet
I wonder, if these Pokemon, music tracks, and ATs were cut, then why is there no trace of their existence (aside from the music tracks which can be inferred by numbering). Why do the "cut" characters still have their files, yet the ATs and Pokemon from a near-final version have their's completely omitted?

Celebi23, it has been two days since you said you downloaded the dual-layer version of Brawl, yet you have not posted anything about it. Was it due to not finding all of the cut content? Don't be disappointed, this merely a result of Sakurai's stupidity for deciding to focus on music and cut-scenes instead of stuff gameplay related.... :ohwell:

Edit: I posted in the wrong topic.
I'm sorry, that I didn't respond to your PM or post here for a bit, I've just been EXTREMELY swamped with schoolwork @ college :( I got the disc to mount, like I posted before. As far as I can tell, the missing music (40ish tracks) are nowhere to be found on the dual layer version of the dump.

Oh, & I tried to categorize the different partitions on the disc, the ones without names had no title in the name document. Will go into more detail later. Pretty much there's one partition for Brawl's game data & then the rest are for the VC games. The names I included were in those partitions themselves

data - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
HA8J -
HA9J -
HBAJ -
HBBJ -
HBCJ -
HBDJ -
HBEJ -
HBFJ -
HBGJ -
HBHJ -
HBIJ -
HBJJ -
HBKJ - Ocarina JP Partition
HBLJ - StarFox JP Partition

1 last thing that doesn't make any sense about the missing music, in the part of the SSE where Luigi is introduced, there's a remix of the Luigi's Mansion theme that is different from the one found on the disc. It's towards the end of this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Su_cq0PFOBY SPOILERS, I guess. Maybe the missing music is somewhere else on the disc, like another partition? I'm gonna try & look for hidden files, wish me luck

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Well, if the music is played during a cutscene (Not looking due to avoiding spoilers, heh), then it's most likely just part of the movie and nowhere else.

celebi23

Smash Cadet
Thing is, I checked all of the cutscenes and NONE of them have music along with them :confused: I'll check again later to make sure but, for instance, the first cutscenes (in the stadium) had no music & the one with Pit flying down from Skyworld (the one released on Dojo) had no music either :confused: :confused: :confused: I'll check the cut scenes again

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, very interesting. So the cutscenes are visual only, and they pull the music from the Music section? Or are you saying no cutscene but this one has music in it?

Either way is kind of...strange.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Thing is, I checked all of the cutscenes and NONE of them have music along with them :confused: I'll check again later to make sure but, for instance, the first cutscenes (in the stadium) had no music & the one with Pit flying down from Skyworld (the one released on Dojo) had no music either :confused: :confused: :confused: I'll check the cut scenes again
So you haven't found any of the rumored AT's or Pokemon yet?

celebi23

Smash Cadet
Hmm, very interesting. So the cutscenes are visual only, and they pull the music from the Music section? Or are you saying no cutscene but this one has music in it?

Either way is kind of...strange.
I need to recheck the Luigi cutscene that I mentioned. I first need to remount the disc (taking a bit longer than I thought. Using MacFuse & Wiifuse). As far as I can tell (gonna recheck all of them) the cut scenes have no music in them (in their raw form on the disc) & they pull the music from the sound folder.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Apparently NO ONE has gotten the full soundtrack in this thread out of the OP ripping the game.

For those who do not have the game's full soundtrack and still want it go here: http://www.nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130482 .

It's all real, and i'm currently listening to it. :D

I searched through this whole thread seeing if anyone linked to this or anything like this, and apparently they have not or else i'm blind.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Apparently NO ONE has gotten the full soundtrack in this thread out of the OP ripping the game.

For those who do not have the game's full soundtrack and still want it go here: http://www.nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130482 .

It's all real, and i'm currently listening to it. :D

I searched through this whole thread seeing if anyone linked to this or anything like this, and apparently they have not or else i'm blind.
The full soundtrack has been ripped about a week ago on another thread before I could rip it.

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
Some more stages! Although these appear to be stages that aren't traditional stages. Just special stages that are used in modes such as the wi-fi battle lobby stage ect. I only managed to work out two of them. Anyone have any idea what the others are?

\RSBJ01\module\st_battle.rel - ???
\RSBJ01\module\st_battles.rel - ???
\RSBJ01\module\st_config.rel - Controller configuration testing stage
\RSBJ01\module\st_croll.rel - ???
\RSBJ01\module\st_heal.rel - All-Stars healing area?
\RSBJ01\module\st_otrain.rel - Wi-Fi training area? (Online Training?)
\RSBJ01\module\st_tbreak.rel - Target Smash!! (Alternate name, the other file has the name "Target")

Top Bottom