• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Diff E wasn't that bad but i hated Linear algebra.

Also hi AZ.
OMG TRENT POSTED AND I WAS ALL LIKE "HOLY COW HE NEVER DOES THAT" LOL ABOUT ALGEBRA! CH405, AMIRITE?!?!

You know, since no one else has done it yet...

Anyway, heard you were back on GW? If you ever feel the sudden urge to sit in an AB waiting area counting how many times the timer has reset, send me a text or AIM and I'll jump on.

Also, is there anyone to smash with in the mary land? (not to mention time to do so)

tw1n

Smash Champion
basic is way too easy lol. but it being your first programming language may make it a little tricky. calc is fun lol

and kyle. read your posts too lol

tw1n

Smash Champion
Ya... I was using my phones internet for the first time. Wasn't fun. Not gonna happen again either :(

Blah. So school starts monday with Linear Algebra starting it! F ing gay!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Tai-kun, Tai-kun!

Why aren't I on your tier list?

Tai: Because you're barely even in the show and you don't do anything.

Nyoro~n...

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
@Dan:

When determining the validity of a regression equation, you look at r, right? Well, what exactly does it mean when the equation gives you an r^2 value, but no r value?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Just remember, twins. You can stick your finger in my nose, but you'll never break my poker face.

Also that quote is pretty great. Have you ever used boogle.com? It's the google engine but with random quotes displayed along with it.

"Insanity destroys reason, but not wit." - Nathaniel Emmons

tw1n

Smash Champion
Just remember, twins. You can stick your finger in my nose, but you'll never break my poker face.

Also that quote is pretty great. Have you ever used boogle.com? It's the google engine but with random quotes displayed along with it.

"Insanity destroys reason, but not wit." - Nathaniel Emmons
Now I get a new site to use hahaha.

One that I love
"Never wait for the perfect moment to do something. Because when the perfect moment arrives, you won't realize it till it has passed. So just wait for a good moment instead. Those are easier to spot and work just as well" -Tw1n

Oh and I'll break your poker face when I deal Wobbles. No problemo there =]

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
my favorite of quote of the morning, now that we're talking about such things.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment." - Rita Mae Brown

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
So, Dan:

I have to find the linear, cubic, and quadratic regressions for a scatter plot and determine which one fits best. However, for the cubic and quadratic regressions only give me R^2, while the linear regression gives me R and R^2. How do I pick? Do I just compare all the R^2 values?

forward

Smash Champion
I heard this on a song just now and I like it.

Ghost ride the whip, Ghost ride your ****/
And when I get writers block I ghost ride your *****/

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, Dan:

I have to find the linear, cubic, and quadratic regressions for a scatter plot and determine which one fits best. However, for the cubic and quadratic regressions only give me R^2, while the linear regression gives me R and R^2. How do I pick? Do I just compare all the R^2 values?
Sure, yea. You can just use the r^2 value. R is called the "Coefficient of Correlation" and R^2 is called the "Coefficient of Determination". Their meanings are similar, but have nuanced differences. They both have to do with how well your regression models the distribution given.

Look at the Wikipedia article for Coefficient of Determination.

Essentially, whichever regression has the Coefficient of Determination that is closest to 1 is the best. Some screwy things can happen if it goes above 1, though. So watch out for that.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol AltF4 is a beast!!!!!

Linear Algebra seems easy (ish) but man I hate me the differential equations with a passion hahaha

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Dan, did you have to do your research before answering Tai or do you actually remember all that math so clearly? I can barely even remember how to simplify polynomials.

Tai, your new avatar has nothing on your kitty :(

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I looked up the term for r^2, I didn't remember that. But the rest, yea. It's been a while since I've had a stats class, though. Computer Science doesn't use it as much as other branches of science / engineering. Some details I'm hazy on with stats stuff.

But that reminds me, what class are you doing this for, Tai? Seems pretty high up there, which is cool.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I looked up the term for r^2, I didn't remember that. But the rest, yea. It's been a while since I've had a stats class, though. Computer Science doesn't use it as much as other branches of science / engineering. Some details I'm hazy on with stats stuff.

But that reminds me, what class are you doing this for, Tai? Seems pretty high up there, which is cool.
Calculus AB Standard Level (IB/AP)

I don't have balls made of heat-tempered carbon steel, so I'm not taking Higher Level. Apparently, only two kids from my school have ever taken the IB test for Calculus HL, and one got a 3, and the other got a 5. They were both apparently exceptionally good at math, and if I get a 2, I won't graduate with an IB Diploma, so I'd rather not take the risk. The teacher strongly recommended against HL to about all the students, and only one kid is actually going to do it, and she's a junior in Calc BC already (I'm a junior in Calc AB). There's another Calc BC junior, and not even he has the testicular fortitude to go HL.

I'm kinda angry at myself for not getting the dual enrollment forms done in time. Oh well. My parents wouldn't have been able to pay for it anyway without borrowing money, and I guess it'll be much easier the second time =/

It's kinda dumb though that AB credits don't transfer to college but BC credits do.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Depending on what school you go to, you can probably test out of Calc.

I think that ASU lets you test out of almost any math class. You don't necessarily have to have the dual enrolment or take the college course. But it all depends, so I'd suggest looking it up.

Also, wow, sounds like the class names sure have changed since I was in high school. For me there was Calculus, and AP Calculus. None of the AB, BC, or HL nonsense. :) Though I suspect it's the same thing with the names swapped around.

Are you taking Calculus (not Pre-Calc) as a Junior? If so, that's pretty good.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Depending on what school you go to, you can probably test out of Calc.

I think that ASU lets you test out of almost any math class. You don't necessarily have to have the dual enrolment or take the college course. But it all depends, so I'd suggest looking it up.

Also, wow, sounds like the class names sure have changed since I was in high school. For me there was Calculus, and AP Calculus. None of the AB, BC, or HL nonsense. :) Though I suspect it's the same thing with the names swapped around.

Are you taking Calculus (not Pre-Calc) as a Junior? If so, that's pretty good.
Yeah, I was in Algebra 2 last year, but I skipped Pre-calc, so I'm in Calc AB now.

In 6th/7th Grade, I never had the opportunity to test out of Pre-Algebra because I went to a private school, so I didn't get the chance to be extra-elitist right off the bat. Knowing myself, I'd probably have still taken the opportunity to skip Pre-calc anyway and tried to get three grades ahead of the curve. Meh, oh well. No middle school johns.

Um, AB is pretty much Calculus 1, and BC is pretty much 2. I dunno why they changed the numbering/ordering system once students hit Calculus. I guess they had to see courses as line segments instead of units :laugh:

SL and HL are something different, though. I'll probably need to include some background for that.

There's this honors program thingy called IB (International Baccalaureate) for public schools, and it's pretty much AP, except a lot harder (I think). In freshman and sophomore year, the differences are very very minute (only difference is that you're a year ahead in history. Instead of going freshman year without a history class, you'll go straight into World History H, and take AP US History in Sophomore year instead of Junior Year). In junior and senior year, the differences begin to appear.

In junior year, instead of doing whatever science classes you'd normally take for AP, you'd take an IB Science (I got the choice between Biology and Physics. I chose Biology). The IB Science courses are two-year, college-level (or so my teacher says) classes. You'll also take an IB elective (I dunno the choices, but I picked IB Psychology) and IB History of the Americas and Theory of Knowledge. The system for HotA and ToK is really stupid imo. They make you take the first semester of each course junior year, and then the second semesters of each course senior year. I think it's so the classes are more fresh in the student's heads when they take the IB tests senior year.

I'm also in IB/AP Language Arts 3, Calculus AB IB/AP, and IB/AP Spanish 3. Instead of the graduatory requirement of 2 world language credits, you have to go all four years. Oh joy.

Oh, back to the SL/HL nonsense. SL means standard level and HL means higher level. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I'll try to explain. I also think it works differently for different classes :confused:

In the IB Sciences, SL is the first year of the course, and HL is the second year. I'm not sure about how testing works for this.

When it comes to math, SL and HL are the levels you're tested at for the IB test. You can take the SL test after completing Calculus AB, but Calculus BC is needed too for HL. On top of that, the test is supposed to be ridiculously hard (my teacher stressed this several times to us) and she also recommended that most kids don't take it.

The IB tests are similar to the AP tests, except they're scored out of 7 instead of 5. I'm not sure what the merits are of it, but whatever. I'm still going to be taking the AP tests (well, I have the option, and I'm going to take them).

There's two IB routes: Diploma and Certificate. Certificate is like an AP/IB hybrid. They get to pick whatever IB classes they want. They don't have to do four years of history, I don't think they have to do four years of Spanish/French, and I don't think they have to go to HL in their science. IB Diploma on the other hand, is more strict with class schedules, and has slightly higher scoring requirements on the IB Exams to pass.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interesting. I looked up IB on Wikipedia, and it seems pretty neat. Kinda wished that was around at my schools when I was there.

But skipping pre-calc? That's a bit odd. Unless you're going to cover the material elsewhere, you kinda need the stuff they teach in that class. Like trig and the basics of functions. Maybe "skip" means "cram both classes into one year". I dunno.

In any case, sounds like you're in a challenging coursework. I recommend sticking to it as much as you can bear. The second best thing that happened to me in high school was joining our Academic Decathlon team. It was super stressful, but I learned so much from it. Plus I got a full scholarship. :) So that's always an option for you, too. I think North has a team. Most schools 'round here do.

Top Bottom