• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

_umbra_

Smash Champion
How do I stop sheik from ****** my sheild using shffled fair to dtilt to jab/grab or something like that? I wasn't sure whether I should be trying to roll away or if I can sneak a grab/fc nair in there. I usually try to grab after the fair, but the dtilt gets below it. What do I do?

Here's an example of me failing. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61MaWRHhhM
This vid is a little old, but I still have some trouble against sheik. Advice plz?

ChoKoLate

Smash Rookie
Just out of curiosity Cort....Do you use "Y" or "X" to jump, and what exactly do you use "L" and "R" for?
Do you think it's better to use one over the other?

WarranThad

Smash Ace
purple lantern isn't until 08 (or is it 09? i forget).

or is that just gonna be black lanterns and stuff.

or did you not read that and i'm gonna look like a big dork.

edit: i dont know why i had a fool at the end of the first sentence there.

also i'm too much of a comic book nerd, lollerskates

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
purple lantern isn't until 08 (or is it 09? i forget).

or is that just gonna be black lanterns and stuff.

or did you not read that and i'm gonna look like a big dork.

edit: i dont know why i had a fool at the end of the first sentence there.

also i'm too much of a comic book nerd, lollerskates
sinestro corps war ftw?

Dark Pch, I mean King of Grabs, I mean Up Smash God... I was being sarcastic.

Daz: prerendered teaser trailer =/= game

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Does not matter, it got me started witg Cort and now I get to take him out once and for all

I'm training extremly hard, just for you cort!

WarranThad

Smash Ace
sinestro corps war ftw?

Dark Pch, I mean King of Grabs, I mean Up Smash God... I was being sarcastic.

Daz: prerendered teaser trailer =/= game
ftw indeed.

it was... So Good.

except for SPB, he seems to ruin everything. But even his fight vs Sodam Yat wasn't too bad.

Cort

Apple Head
Hay Cort

I just started playing peach just because

Ive decided to use blue ^_^

What kind of stuff should i do

lol

Gimpy told me

Dsmash
Turnip
Nair
Bair

And thats all Do u agree with this =D
Fair > Bair in terms of awesome. Camp in your shield = good. Learn all the FC techs straight into full jump nair to float back = toooo goooodz

Also use white Peach, not blue. Blue is 2nd worst x_x
How do I stop sheik from ****** my sheild using shffled fair to dtilt to jab/grab or something like that? I wasn't sure whether I should be trying to roll away or if I can sneak a grab/fc nair in there. I usually try to grab after the fair, but the dtilt gets below it. What do I do?

This vid is a little old, but I still have some trouble against sheik. Advice plz?
Rolling away would be your best bet. But you should learn to light shield against Sheik's approaches, and learn to not try and shield grab Sheik so much right after she fairs your shield. Jab after fair = so 2005 >.> Wait for her to jab or dtilt, then try to shield grab or nair out of shield.

That Sheik didn't seem very competent in recovering. He kept falling off the stage and up b'ing back to the middle, but for some reason you got caught in it so much. When Sheik is on the ledge stay near the ledge, try and bait a poorly spaced fair from the ledge, and nair out of shield. Just don't go running to the middle like I saw you did once or twice, lol. That's all I can think of for now.

Also, your DI during Sheik's tilts is very poor. Hold away from the way she's facing nearly all times, except when you expect a LETHAL fair.

Ask some more questions =]
Just out of curiosity Cort....Do you use "Y" or "X" to jump, and what exactly do you use "L" and "R" for?
Do you think it's better to use one over the other?
I use Y to jump, L to shield and l-cancel. It's all a matter of preference and what you're used to.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
Also use white Peach, not blue. Blue is 2nd worst x_x

Uhh fc techs... lol

I already camp in my sheild ^_^

I like blue no one else uses it

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i'm with cort.

White peach ftw.

I'm a daisy convert.

also Cort can you go into more detail into avoiding wave shining/up-throw to u-air from fox or link to a post that explains it well? I remember it from pages and pages ago being touched on lightly (up throw to u-air at least) but i don't think i understood what to do/look for/listen for fully. These are two of the harsher things foxes can do and hopefully if i can deal wit hthem better i can perform better vs mediocre foxes (ie any who arent top ~20 in the world).

WarranThad

Smash Ace
or "dash dance" in the air as fast as you can

hmm? Is this when being hit by the drill? Like if you're being down-aired and you're in the air at the time?

Also i'm unsure what "ASDI" refers to, i guess my terminology knowledge sucks.

Also that post didn't say anything about u-throw up air <_<.

One last thing, my di is in general pretty poor (or poorer then it should be). Any videos you can link to that could help/advice to give?

i feel bothersome now.

Cort

Apple Head
or "dash dance" in the air as fast as you can

hmm? Is this when being hit by the drill? Like if you're being down-aired and you're in the air at the time?

Also i'm unsure what "ASDI" refers to, i guess my terminology knowledge sucks.

Also that post didn't say anything about u-throw up air <_<.

One last thing, my di is in general pretty poor (or poorer then it should be). Any videos you can link to that could help/advice to give?

i feel bothersome now.
Dash dancing in the air is an alternate method to getting out of Fox's uthrow uair. Are you sure you know the mechanics of DI to understand anything I'm saying? That post said a lot about the basics...

An aerial drill from Fox never combos into anything, btw >_> Unless you both land on a platform before the drill is over.

ASDI is automatic smash DI. It's holding the c stick in a direction during before or during hit stun in order to slightly move in that direction, once. It goes about half the distance that a smash DI would bring you (smash DI is when you physically input a direction with the CONTROL STICK during stun frames of moves)

You're going to have to ask a more specific question on DI other than "my DI is bad, please help" There's a lot of things that the words "DI" encompass. Surviving near lethal attacks, avoiding combos from moves or grabs, surviving combos... lots more that all come from experience.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
edit: I've had DI basics explained to me wrong it seems. Learning things 3rd hand is bad it seems, which explains why i was confused about many things related. I have a much better grasp of how it works now, but wasn't completely oblivious to some things. I had But now I understand it better as mixed up terminology, as it was taught to me, has been cleared up by this thread+ otherkindly friend who happened upon this thread.

I got the up air idea down now, and already understood how to get out of drill shining in my own way (but was very inconsistent), hopefully these clarifications help my game.

thanks.

Cort

Apple Head
It's a combo at lower-mid to lethal %s.

The best you can do is DI behind the Fox to make the uair harder to perform, but if the Fox is competent it's not really hard at all.

Cia

das kwl
this is probably the first serious question I've had.. lolz

but what do u know about "DIing inside of the sheild"??

a few people have told me that I "unknowingly utilize it" and I would like to know in what ways is it helpful

(probably a newb question)

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman

I'm sure Cort has a better answer than this, but from my experience, when a Sheik is pretty much auto-crouching under my grab range and d-tilting into a fair or something, I wait for it and cc-d-smash. If you guess right, and the sheik is d-tilting, then she will cc your d-smash and take a hell of a lot of damage. This usually makes them stop doing that, at least for a while.

Cort

Apple Head
You have to continue to hold a direction all throughout your trajectory, except in very specific cases where holding a direction would kill you off the side or top. Wiggling out would not help since you'd already start falling before you'd be able to do that.

Also I don't know what you're referring to when you say "DIing inside the shield", Vanz.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
this is probably the first serious question I've had.. lolz

but what do u know about "DIing inside of the sheild"??

a few people have told me that I "unknowingly utilize it" and I would like to know in what ways is it helpful

(probably a newb question)
Only two things I can think of~.

Everyone knows you can tilt the shield with the control stick, and I know that you can SDI while shielding (tested against Fox dair).

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I just wanna know about your opinion on this.

Does Peach JCG have any use at all? It does not seem much different from her her running grab. maybe it might help a lil? idk.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ah, I see.Never thought of it that way. I'll start doing that. Maybe my grab game will improve.

Thanks M2K, that is all

Top Bottom