• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If I'm not mistaken, Mike G wavedashes alot. and it seems to work wonders with his bag of tricks. and he does it out of the sheild. He did that to a Marth he fought on BF to a Dsmash. Maybe its just him, but it seems to help him alot.

Cort

Apple Head
That's cool. There are obviously very specific times where WDing out of your shield in order to punish something is useful. All you have to do is use your brain.

But my point is, most Peaches just wavedash around for no reason at all when they could just simply.. dash.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I guess it was just a little general, and you are correct, Dark.Pch. I dunno, it just seems like my Peach is so slow compared to that of, say maybe VaNz or XIF. I guess it's a lil' frustrating. *shrugs* I just wanted to hear what you had to say on it. *nods*

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
wavedash back to f smash is about the only useful thing i can really think of with peach, just because the range and the path of the hitbox make some approaches harder (like marth or someone, PLEASE dont do that against a fox you're just gonna eat a shffl'd.... anything).

To get an idea of how much of BtT is muscle memory...

I've done luigi's barely sub 5 second strategy with my eyes close =)

definitely done ganon's HRC with my eye's closed as well =P

and xiphos is very welcome.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Since there are a LOT of pages....um, I'll just ask....how can I increase my Peach's speed?
Well if Cort doesn't mind, I'll give you a lil bit of advice on this subject.

First of all, Cort is right! All Peaches move at the same speed! BUT...

I know this secret code that can make Peach faster, it's very simple, really. First of all, when you're at the character select screen, place your cursor over Peach, okay?

Then you move your cursor 3 squares to the right and... PRESS A! NOW!

You will unlock Fast Peach mode, with a decrease in estrogens but a boost in testosterone.

Enjoy!

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well if Cort doesn't mind, I'll give you a lil bit of advice on this subject.

First of all, Cort is right! All Peaches move at the same speed! BUT...

I know this secret code that can make Peach faster, it's very simple, really. First of all, when you're at the character select screen, place your cursor over Peach, okay?

Then you move your cursor 3 squares to the right and... PRESS A! NOW!

You will unlock Fast Peach mode, with a decrease in estrogens but a boost in testosterone.

Enjoy!
LOL, that's hillarious, truly. Gotta love peach forums :psycho:

trademark0013

Smash Champion
ok so after taking the time to read every post in this thread i decided wow i think i should join SWF... i just wanna say thanks tons Cort, and XIF since i began reading this massive thread about a week ago i have tryed to incorporate all the new things I've learnt, and man have I improved. I dont play on tourny level or anything (I still need to work on somethings) but i play with a few guys around my neighbourhood all the time and they've all been wondering how I've all of a sudden gotten so much better. Anyways thanks again! :)

Now to my question... This one guy i play is a really campy samus, he always spams the crap out of his missles, and anytime i come near him he just Down-B's backwards out my range a couple times, all to setup more missles. Now i have sat there and thought about the battle at hand a few times and i can think of two strats but both have failed...
1) I approach from the air and try to fc a d-Air to N-air combo, or stall him with a turnip (this second one rarely i have a hard time pulling them with his missles constantly bombarding me) and move into a d-smash or grab. The problem with this one is all he needs to do is U-smash to out prioritize me and set up for a combo, or if I change it up and drop to the ground he has those missles waiting...
2) I move up to him powershielding or slapping at his missles till i get close, but man is he good at retreating and timing this Down-B to d-Smash combos

I dont know if I'm just doing stuff wrong or what but hes the only one of our match-ups i seem to have trouble with... I used the marth strats you gave and they have helped me alot. So I was wondering what you would do to get past his samus.
approach him with bairs. they will outprioritize the missles and u can float over the bombs

Cort

Apple Head
I don't know really. My guess would be people that could compete with basically everyone except those consistently placing very high at more local tournaments. I think most professional amateurs should be able to at least place in a top 32 bracket at a very large scale tournament, or barely miss it. They should at least make it to the last round of pools.

I'm not sure, though.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
^^^Whats a pro amateur?
Huh?

I don't know really. My guess would be people that could compete with basically everyone except those consistently placing very high at more local tournaments. I think most professional amateurs should be able to at least place in a top 32 bracket at a very large scale tournament, or barely miss it. They should at least make it to the last round of pools.

I'm not sure, though.

I see, cause I went to my wiki page out of random yesterday and next to my skill level it said that. That guy randall did that. I think he runs the site there or something. Though I dont even wanna come off as arrogant if I have nothing to show for it and others might think I'm no where near it. to be honest I have no clue what I am. But on the bottom of the Page I put my tournament performance. I have the dates and names of all the tournaments I was in and my placeing. look if you wish. but I just dont wanna get flamed for this (again...........)

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Heya Cort

A friend of KDJ told me that back in the day PC was actually afraid of KDJ's massively enormous Asian...talent - deadly combos, technical soundness, and frame perfection. It seems though from the videos you've posted that PC has not only just technical perfection, incredible reaction time and fresh mindgames in his bag of tricksies but also now even tech skill to the point of overwhelming and flashy, a deadly combination indeed that even Forward said PC can't deny being technical anymore. (Un)Fortunately you have the chance to play them both due to your proximity, who do you find more intimidating?

Cort

Apple Head
Heya Cort

A friend of KDJ told me that back in the day PC was actually afraid of KDJ's massively enormous Asian...talent - deadly combos, technical soundness, and frame perfection. It seems though from the videos you've posted that PC has not only just technical perfection, incredible reaction time and fresh mindgames in his bag of tricksies but also now even tech skill to the point of overwhelming and flashy, a deadly combination indeed that even Forward said PC can't deny being technical anymore. (Un)Fortunately you have the chance to play them both due to your proximity, who do you find more intimidating?
Great question. *towels off slobber from PC and KDJ's nuts*

LOL but honestly, I haven't played KDJ nearly as many times as I've played PC, but I'll still attempt to compare them. First, I'd probably say PC's Fox is noticeably better than KDJ's. I have a far easier time more often with KDJ's Fox as compared to PC's Fox, and I have a LOT more experience against PC's Fox, which is interesting to consider.

Both of their reaction times, overall l-canceling and never messing up with Fox is very very similar. I believe it's basically the key to playing a very sound Fox, as freely attacking shields is basically like cheating. KDJ tends to be a little more reckless and often times puts himself in dangerous positions, while PC usually plays it safe. So, if KDJ actually does pull of his absolutely-unnecessarily dangerous maneuvers just to shine spike you while you're still invincible, then good for him, but I wouldn't consider some of the things he attempts to do very smart all the time, unles ofcourse he lands them... which he usually does.

PC's edge guarding game on the other hand is still just as amazing, though slightly more conservative. He generally lands successful edge guards probably more often than KDJ does.

KDJ's Sheik, on the other hand, can be ridiculously deadly. His Sheik beats me more than the majority of the time, but our games are generally fairly close. It's harder to mess up and die with Sheik, so his ridiculous edge guarding is not punished as hard as he would for messing it up as with Fox. But I feel Sheik doesn't **** Peach nearly as hard as Fox can, so that's why our games are generally more closer...

To stop rambling and actually answer your question, I think they're both ridiculously intimidating. I feel like PC is slightly a better player overall compared to KDJ (especially with KDJ's long absence from the major tournament scene), so I would consider PC to be slightly more intimidating (even considering I have a LOT more experience against PC compared to KDJ)

_Xiphos_

Smash Rookie
approach him with bairs. they will outprioritize the missles and u can float over the bombs
Ok wow this one worked wonders! lol I think it's dumb of me not to try this one out. And yeah thanks again to all of you guys

BTW: I ended up ****** him in the end - 3 rounds of me 2-3 stocking him followed with him saying "You've been on that ****ing smashboards again haven't you!" LMAO :laugh:

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Ok wow this one worked wonders! lol I think it's dumb of me not to try this one out. And yeah thanks again to all of you guys

BTW: I ended up ****** him in the end - 3 rounds of me 2-3 stocking him followed with him saying "You've been on that ****ing smashboards again haven't you!" LMAO :laugh:
Yea Fair and Nair also works.

This matchup becomes much more different if the Peach can simply float nair through missiles.

Cort

Apple Head
No, I have no video of myself wallbombing. Try searching the hub, I couldn't find anything on youtube

The general concept is just smashing over and pressing b, the smash is key. Then timing them over and over again, thus gaining height from only using 1 wall.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
best way to practice wall bombing is using the wall to the right on peach's Break the Targets stage. Also, its a constant rhythm of smashing the control stick and B at the same time then letting go. each time you hit the wall its about "one mississippi" until the next one.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Hey XIF, Thought I say I have been thinking alot about that advice you gave me about thinking withinn a fight. I have not played with Peach since then. Last I got to play I was useing random characters cause the people I played were not that good. I believe I used Peach twice against a guy and I 4 stocked him twice. My mind was too active in a fight. I kept a close eye on him. So it did not take long to fiugure out a way to beat him. Also I have been watching vids on youtube of Peach players. I seen the player having trouble at first. I pictured what I would do in that position to save myself. when I thought of a way, times the player did it and it worked. thus the enemy did not try the same thing again, for if he tried, he was very carful about it. I thought one step ahead when things were going wrong. I have been thinking about what you said for the past few days alot. I think I learned something about this game now. Now, i'm gonna test this out on my friends. and those 2 high tier players that beat me bad last week. time to try this new technique out. or advice as you would call it. thanks again.

Oh and Cort is the sex, dont tell my girl I said that though. >______>

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Hey cort/XiF/whoever else, how would you recommend learning the spacing on her moves like Fair and Dair so that I hit with as much range as possible. I always seem to be too close and get hit first or too far away and whiff the attack only to get punished for it.

One more thing, I DJC a lot and I was just wondering if it's safe for peach to use a lot of DJC airs or if floating attacks is safer. Or, I suppose, what's the big difference between DJC and jsut floating aside from the free lag canceling?

edub

Smash Apprentice
float canceling is generally better, but djc is good as well, i would say try to float cancel more than djc if anything

chef-hado

Smash Cadet
is DJC really that important? i only FC or shffl my aerials, never tried DJC
and if it is really important, can anyone tell me what exactly a DJC is and how to do it properly?

peachori

Smash Journeyman
just do an attack during your double jump, haha
ie if you tap jump twice really quickly and then aerial you'll break the normal dj trajectory

keep in mind you still have to l-cancel

i rarely use djc as compared to how much i fc. although djl to dsmash out of shield is fun but i doubt its viable it is against people who dont suck

i have no idea how important djc is but that's what we have cort for

Top Bottom