• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cort

Apple Head
If I continue at a rate of 30-40 posts per day like I have been lately, then it should take me about 5-6 months tops.

Gimpy is too fast though. Plus he's a mod so he can't even get warned for spamming (<3 you gimpy, but Jesus do you spam)

So it'll probably take me like 3 or 4 more years before I have the highest post count XD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Where do you DI when Falco starts his combo.

Also, with in the combo, can you tech when you hit the ground to break free, Like tech away?

Cort

Apple Head
Where do you DI when Falco starts his combo.

Also, with in the combo, can you tech when you hit the ground to break free, Like tech away?
I usually tend to DI as far away from him as I can, usually the direction he's facing. Smash DIing helps.. sometimes. But it's really hard for Peach to DI away from a Falco that knows how to combo Peach effectively. Good thing the only Falco that knows how to do that is PC.

Counter stage vs Marth? -_-;
Read the rest of the topic before asking such a question. My personal opinion/preference is Dreamland/DK64/Mute City.

Cort

Apple Head
lol g-reg, actually I just copied Cactuar's thread. Read the first post >_> And Mango copied me/Cactuar

Also I don't think this resembles your thread at all.

Cort

Apple Head
Your thread is filled with too much garbage to be compared to mine. There's occasionally a good post or two every like 10 pages LOL

Plus they're not named the same thing. You can't have the same thread without nearly the same name.

The general ideas of each thread are blatantly different too >_>

I'm sorry but I had to prove g-reg wrong. I didn't think it was possible, either.

Cort

Apple Head
Wes gave me the nickname.

He is peanut head.

I'm pretty sure my head would make quite the delicious pie. It would also serve about 2.5 families.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
when am I suppose to smash DI foxs Up air and drill? I thing I smash DI his shine but does not seem to work I practice alone how to smash DI it cause I Had Fox corner Peach near the edge. ( I uses 2 controllers for this. if you think about it, its not hard to practice how to smash DI his shine alone.) I Had Fox Shine Peach, and she went back nearly to the tip of the stage. Now this time I tried to smash DI and when I did it right, Peach would fall back and grab the edge. now it pushed her further. But it seems it did not help much cause I still got Up smashed. But ya, do I smash DI the first hit of the Up air or the second (though I onced smash DI the second hit and I survived it where at that percent I should have got K.O.) and when do I smash DI the drill and where, left or right?

Cort

Apple Head
Lol why is a Cort post followed 99% of the time by a Brookman post?

You guys are like a bnb combo, you agree or not?
I tend to share quality posts on AIM with a few people. What's a bnb combo?

when am I suppose to smash DI foxs Up air and drill? I thing I smash DI his shine but does not seem to work I practice alone how to smash DI it cause I Had Fox corner Peach near the edge. ( I uses 2 controllers for this. if you think about it, its not hard to practice how to smash DI his shine alone.) I Had Fox Shine Peach, and she went back nearly to the tip of the stage. Now this time I tried to smash DI and when I did it right, Peach would fall back and grab the edge. now it pushed her further. But it seems it did not help much cause I still got Up smashed. But ya, do I smash DI the first hit of the Up air or the second (though I onced smash DI the second hit and I survived it where at that percent I should have got K.O.) and when do I smash DI the drill and where, left or right?
The first his is what you smash DI, as it doesn't have much knockback at all, and the purpose is to get out of range of the 2nd hit. You can do this either by timing a jerk to the control stick (generally, in towards Fox's BACK, but it's slightly situational and sometimes doesn't matter), or "dash dance" in the air as fast as you can, this works for people just as often as timing it, I think.

Smash DIing Fox's shine after being drillshined generally doesn't save Peach from a regrab or upsmash if the Fox does a good wavedash/dashes fast after, but it's something you can still do as it might save you occasionally.

You can smash DI the drill either way to attempt to get away from a combo, but I feel DIing AWAY from the drill allows the shine to miss more often than DIing any other way. You can also just hold the c-stick in the direction you want to tend towards and ASDI will take over and greatly push you in that direction (since Fox's drill hits so many times). It's great if the Fox doesn't expect you to appear on the other side of him right before a shine, thus messing them up sometimes.

xelad1

Smash Ace
I'm gonna ask this again since it wasn't answered:

what stages is peach particularly weak on (specifically against fox and marth?). Is yoshi's story a good stage for peach or not?

Cort

Apple Head
I covered that question in previous posts, but here:

It's basically preference, but against Fox, the lower the ceiling the worse the stage. Pokemon Stadium is extremely easy to camp on with Fox (big stage), as well as the easy usmash kills.

Yoshi's Story is based on preference considering you can kill Foxes there fairly fast as well as it being harder for the Fox to camp, but I wouldn't risk it and prefer high ceiling stages instead. Green greens (lol @ it being turned on at whatever tourny you see this at) also comes to mind.

The same applies for Marth with Yoshi's Story due to the small sides (easy tipper kills) and the platforms are just too good for him. Pokemon Stadium is not particularly excellent for Marth, it's actually not so bad in the matchup. Most of the neutrals are in Marth's favor just because of their setup in platforms, and the matchup is just a wreck in general.

There should be previous posts that go into some more slight detail as to why Peach does well/bad in some matchups/stages I discussed already.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i was rereading what you said to do about approaching sheik, and i noticed bassialy fc fair

i was playing one and kept dash attacking and they sheild grabed me so i figured that didn't work well, altough that is all i would ever do :/

and you said cc to dsmash at low perscents, but are there any other ground approaches, or bassically stick with the aerial ones

and, does anyone know if nair or fair has priority over sheiks fair, i didn't think about trying to find out when i was playing her

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Cort, I have a question for you on float canceling.

When I float cancel, I press and hold Y then hold down on the control stick. I would like to be able to use the C-stick to perform a float canceled aerial in place, but my right thumb is stuck holding Y. Is there something I'm missing here? How am I supposed to perform aerials other than pressing A while holding Y?

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL

When I float cancel, I press and hold Y then hold down on the control stick. I would like to be able to use the C-stick to perform a float canceled aerial in place, but my right thumb is stuck holding Y. Is there something I'm missing here? How am I supposed to perform aerials other than pressing A while holding Y?
press A.

just get used to it you arent missing a thing.

_Xiphos_

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys,

ok so after taking the time to read every post in this thread i decided wow i think i should join SWF... i just wanna say thanks tons Cort, and XIF since i began reading this massive thread about a week ago i have tryed to incorporate all the new things I've learnt, and man have I improved. I dont play on tourny level or anything (I still need to work on somethings) but i play with a few guys around my neighbourhood all the time and they've all been wondering how I've all of a sudden gotten so much better. Anyways thanks again! :)

Now to my question... This one guy i play is a really campy samus, he always spams the crap out of his missles, and anytime i come near him he just Down-B's backwards out my range a couple times, all to setup more missles. Now i have sat there and thought about the battle at hand a few times and i can think of two strats but both have failed...
1) I approach from the air and try to fc a d-Air to N-air combo, or stall him with a turnip (this second one rarely i have a hard time pulling them with his missles constantly bombarding me) and move into a d-smash or grab. The problem with this one is all he needs to do is U-smash to out prioritize me and set up for a combo, or if I change it up and drop to the ground he has those missles waiting...
2) I move up to him powershielding or slapping at his missles till i get close, but man is he good at retreating and timing this Down-B to d-Smash combos

I dont know if I'm just doing stuff wrong or what but hes the only one of our match-ups i seem to have trouble with... I used the marth strats you gave and they have helped me alot. So I was wondering what you would do to get past his samus.

Cort

Apple Head

I never use the c-stick for aerials. I just use the other part's of my thumb to press A and I have very good control in the air with continuing my momentum while doing attacks that go the other way. Mostly thanks to HRC/BtT where the c-stick is not "allowed" :)

ok so after taking the time to read every post in this thread i decided wow i think i should join SWF... i just wanna say thanks tons Cort, and XIF since i began reading this massive thread about a week ago i have tryed to incorporate all the new things I've learnt, and man have I improved. I dont play on tourny level or anything (I still need to work on somethings) but i play with a few guys around my neighbourhood all the time and they've all been wondering how I've all of a sudden gotten so much better. Anyways thanks again! :)

Now to my question... This one guy i play is a really campy samus, he always spams the crap out of his missles, and anytime i come near him he just Down-B's backwards out my range a couple times, all to setup more missles. Now i have sat there and thought about the battle at hand a few times and i can think of two strats but both have failed...
1) I approach from the air and try to fc a d-Air to N-air combo, or stall him with a turnip (this second one rarely i have a hard time pulling them with his missles constantly bombarding me) and move into a d-smash or grab. The problem with this one is all he needs to do is U-smash to out prioritize me and set up for a combo, or if I change it up and drop to the ground he has those missles waiting...
2) I move up to him powershielding or slapping at his missles till i get close, but man is he good at retreating and timing this Down-B to d-Smash combos

I dont know if I'm just doing stuff wrong or what but hes the only one of our match-ups i seem to have trouble with... I used the marth strats you gave and they have helped me alot. So I was wondering what you would do to get past his samus.
You're welcome, I'm very glad you learned a lot from this thread. Also, I hope your friends don't just give up and stop playing now that you're ****** them. That's called scrubitis, and it's almost a plague.

Anyway, onto your problem. So you approach from the air and he.. usmashes? Samus usmash is garbage and doesn't set up for anything x_x Try approaching with a turnip, then fc a fair or nair into his shield and dsmash immediately after. This Samus sounds like he doesn't really know what he's doing anyway consider he's just spamming missiles and bombs...

If he's bombing/retreating just attempt to place yourself further behind him than you might initially think, you'll end up landing on top of him and put him in an uncomfortable situation.

If you really want to start ****** him, I suggest moving on to playing better people. Check out the regional section of the boards and find people in your state/region to play with. Practice your technical skill, get more fluid at moving around the stage and just try new things and see what works for you.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
what's the most Nairs you've done to the sandbag? (falcon)

Are bat-drops like muscle memory for you? I tried consciously thinking about what I was pressing while doing them and I had to stop I was effing up so much >_> and I'm not even that good at stadium

Cort

Apple Head
what's the most Nairs you've done to the sandbag? (falcon)

Are bat-drops like muscle memory for you? I tried consciously thinking about what I was pressing while doing them and I had to stop I was effing up so much >_> and I'm not even that good at stadium
I donno, who cares how many nairs I've done. However many time allows.

Batdrops (BDs) are all about timing/spacing your jumps/spacing yourself. Once you get a particular move and its BD down, things become much simpler. Just keep practicing, try different timings, different delays, etc.

In HRC, can you do pivot reverse nair, and catch it with a turn around Falcon kick, then short hop towards it and Falcon punch it? Try it, it's cool. >_>

Have you ever tried comboing the sandbag with just full hop nairs with Falcon? As in, even the first one from the ground is a full hop? LOL

An actual question. I noticed you do multimoonwalks with Peach. I haven't tried yet, but can she get on the ledge with it, without walking towards it at first?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I donno, who cares how many nairs I've done. However many time allows.
the world NEEDS to know

Batdrops (BDs) are all about timing/spacing your jumps/spacing yourself. Once you get a particular move and its BD down, things become much simpler. Just keep practicing, try different timings, different delays, etc.
yeah I know, I just thought it was interesting, re: muscle memory

I'm not sure what you mean by "without walking towards it at first"

But I do it in this video at 2:20 http://youtube.com/watch?v=MKsGa2k0poY

I can just moonwalk off the ledge from a stand too.
Oh. that's what I was wondering. if you can do it frm standing and make it onto the ledge, because I already know u can do it from the momentum of walking towards it. ill have to try that later then.

Cort

Apple Head
Peach's WD is completely useless in any way BESIDES wding back in order to avoid an approach. Although Reik is a very competent player, he apparently doesn't know much about Peach's wavedash (and how awesome it is)

Though, with other characters what he said is very useful.

All Peach's run the same speed, float the same speed, nair the same speed, fair the same speed. =P

It's your job to make yourself more fluent around the stage by practicing basic float cancelling, knowing when you can dash out of a float cancel (ridiculously fast), instant floating, basics of fastfalling... I don't know. Your question is extremely general.

Top Bottom