• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical "Norfair" Discussion

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
It's the fact that Metroid games are basically Samus being isolated in hazardous places, trying to survive while trying to beat the Space Pirates. It wouldn't be a Metroid stage without hazards.
Agreed. Lava may be a bit Deja Vu, buts it still makes for some chaotic multiplayer.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Well, after watching the videos, I'm positive that Norfair will be banned from tourneys.

Still looks fun to play in, though.

Magic

Smash Apprentice
It's awesome; in one point in the stage, a huge lava wave appears in the background, and a small shelter appears on one of the platforms. It's a mad scramble to get inside before it gets locked off, with people throwing other people out of the way, and if you do manage to get inside..well, it's not very big. And if you get locked inside with another person? You can't see anything, but the %s start getting very high. <_< It's quite awesome.

The Subspace Muffin

Smash Cadet
I don't mind all the lava. There's nothing wrong with tradition... as long as we have another Metroid stage that does something new and exciting. Maybe a stage from one of the Prime games... Sakurai does seem to be emphasizing new, non-classic games after all.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm surprised that the lava doesn't flood the entire screen on the Norfair stage. The day will come when a Metroid stage solely consists of lava.

I'm begging for a non lava related Metroid stage.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
^ I think you just jump in it and wait for it to close.

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
I hate to bear bad news, but I played the demo at the conference, and Ridley is in the background attacking you as a hazard.
joke
hrm... This stage kinda disappoints me. I mean, the one we had in melee was great looking. It had such an organic feel to it, much like the environments of a ton of metroid levels. You could like attack parts of it and it would snap off. I loved that. I guess this one just seems too much like battlefield over lava. I wish we'd get a stage like.. from the inside of the seed or something. I kind of hope the two metroid stages from melee are brought back, I loved them so much. Heck, I hope most stages are brought back.

But as a replacement, this one actually seems not as good as the acid-flowing level from melee.
Lies. I was there, I played Norfair a LOT. No Ridley.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
A decent level, all in all. I really like how this one forces you to be aggressive, you know? Can't really hang back when there's lava attacking you from all sides.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't mind a non-lava stage for good ol' Samus. Imagine that Metroid Prime's first world (Talon whatever, right?), with the rain splashing down...it'd be amazing.

Or...hmm...maybe even a MP2 reference, with a stage going from light to dark...hmm.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm loving this stage from the videos. Lava, lava everywhere! The best Metroid level yet!

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Don't like the stage to much

But at least this confirmed Ridley

Ridley 4 Brawl

47drift

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a Smash Ball wander inside an opening in that safety chamber and see Bowser get inside it and attack >_>

Dais

Smash Cadet
It sure is lookin good for Ridley. His stage and His music, with Sakurai mentioning him every time! My head will explode when he is finally announced!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Norfair

The stage has be announced!!

Norfair

Norfair is the location in Metroid where the enemy boss Ridley was.There was a lot of lava, and it seemed like a rather hot area.
javascript:popImage('/uploads/GameScreenshots/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/stage17_071109a-l.jpg','stage17_071109a-l','400','315')​
Whoa! That looks hot.​
As you can imagine, the lava level will indeed rise and cover the platforms. It’s dangerous to touch it.

That dangerous-to-the-touch lava comes flowing from a number of places, so be careful.

javascript:popImage('/uploads/GameScreenshots/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/stage17_071109b-l.jpg','stage17_071109b-l','400','315')
Hot! Hot-hot-hot-hot-hot-HOT!
javascript:popImage('/uploads/GameScreenshots/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/stage17_071109c-l.jpg','stage17_071109c-l','400','315')
EEEEEEEEEEK! It’s a lava wave!

The tension rises. Yes.

When the lava wave appears, a single safe area will also appear. If you can get in, you’ll be safe...but surely there will be quite a battle for that spot. Yet another bit of back and forth.

javascript:popImage('/uploads/GameScreenshots/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/stage17_071109d-l.jpg','stage17_071109d-l','400','315')
"Let me in!" "I’m not letting YOU in!"
javascript:popImage('/uploads/GameScreenshots/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/stage17_071109e-l.jpg','stage17_071109e-l','400','315')
It even has hatches that close in emergencies. Ahh.

You can barely dodge the massive lava wave with a great jump, but it’s a little difficult. Besides, you KNOW you want to win the battle for that safe area.

I am so excited! This is far by my favorite stage so far. I love how you have chances to survive it!

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
Hey ethan, your purple text hurts my eyes >_<

Seriously though, this stage is great! It'd take a real pro to win a tournament in this stage. Seriously.

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
like what would happen if two people end up inside the chamber at once. Can that happen?

GOTM

Smash Champion
i would like to see if this could possibly be home to a boss such as ridley....i doubt ridley will be a playable character though

but now with charizard i guess they have a model, and he has more of a chance

Whut

Smash Cadet
The update for Norfair was inevitable, so I'm glad it's done and over with.

like what would happen if two people end up inside the chamber at once. Can that happen?
Actually, I've heard reports that more than one person can come in. :D
Close quarter combat, for sure.

Anyways, this stage is one of the well made in terms of graphical design, I think. Can't wait to try it out on February.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
After seeing what they revealed on the official site i would have to say that it's awful stage the periodical pillars were fine but the giant wave is a complete load.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
How is it an aweful stage? I like how there's supposed to be a lot of chaos, plus the giant wave forces everyone to fight for the safe zone. Without hazards, it would be a boring stage.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Don't like the stage to much

But at least this confirmed Ridley

Ridley 4 Brawl

It -prettymuch- confirms Ridley.

Ridley was in the open cinamatic of Melee. that didnt confirm him. so neither should his music or stage. well. yeah it should. and he -should- be in brawl. you cant have 3 Kirby peeps and 1.5 metroid peeps. it isnt right.

this goes for starfox and Fire Emblem too.

Irow

Smash Ace
How often does the lava come anyway?

Anyway, I like this stage. It's a fight for position. And you could always try to get the person out of the capsule before the lava comes.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Agreed with Ritalin. While this stage is going to be fun as hell, it's not going to be a stage good for a test of technique or skill.

I really like this transition though. Brinstar was getting old, and I like how it's actual lava and not acid. Norfair was one of my favourite places in Super Metroid.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
How is it not good for a test of technique and skill? Doesn't it require skill to try to be the one in the pod when the wave of lava comes? The true level of a player should be based on if they can play both with or without items and on stages with or without big hazards and still do very well.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I'm not going to waste my time, but I will tell you that if you were fighting someone else, how much would you appreciate a giant lava wave spilling over you? Wouldn't a leveled arena be more suitable?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I like the stage. However, it probably wont be played much, like Brinstar depths. The lava would be a distration to some. I really dont mind. I actually want to sit down and play a crazy stage without worrying about winning all the time.

Top Bottom