• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
I managed to get some dittos recorded with the other serious Robin around here so I wanted to leave it here and ask for some feedback or advise to both of us. They are online friendlys but still show something.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I managed to get some dittos recorded with the other serious Robin around here so I wanted to leave it here and ask for some feedback or advise to both of us. They are online friendlys but still show something.

Preface: It is my opinion that in the Ditto, if one person runs Speed Thunder, you put yourself at a significant disadvantage unless you ALSO run speed thunder. The harassment capabilities it grants over Regular Thunder are way too good if used properly. See: Any of my sessions with Sonic Storm.

Meta
0:13 - I think you could've retreated that nair to safety there, but I'm not 100% sure.
0:19 - Bad recovery. You had 100% freedom to go to the ledge there.
1:09 - Grab there. Uair/Fair are only reliable if the projectile has a little travel time first.
1:40 - B-Throw! That probably would have killed him, given your positions on the stage.
2:36 - You'd have won the match right here if that Sour Uair lead into Bair instead of another Uair.
3:00 - You're getting sloppy with your landing attempts. Go to the ledge and regroup.

Chrom
0:05 - Should've started off by just running forward and taking center stage/stopping Meta's charge by firing off a few quick Thunder casts.
0:16 - That second Arcfire had a 0% chance of working. You need to jump if you wanted to land the second one, but more realistically you should've just converted this into a Fair chain.
0:42 - U-throw WHY? Should've been B-throw for Damage+ Ledge control, or D-throw. D-throw at that % was likely to force a hard landing trap, since his airdodge would collide with the platform above you.
0:53 - Space your ledge jumps better, that's the sole reason you got hit by that dash attack, and will get you bodied by Nair in the ditto.
1:03 - You need to work on your ledge pressure. Not only were your Arcfires in the wrong spot, but you then backed off and let Meta on the stage completely for free.
1:26 - That was a pretty pointless Arcthunder, it doesn't travel that far as Speed version.
1:50 - You really have to have a hard read (or be punishing a regrab) if you're going to use D-Smash to edge-guard. You at the very least need to do it in reaction to their get-up, not in advance. Meta just waited and you died for it.
2:43 - Why did you just walk away and completely give up stage control? You had plenty of time before the cannonball would hit, and at that percents you needed to make sure Meta wasn't getting a Thoron charge.

General Comments After Game 1

Chrom
You reeeeeeeeeeeeally need to be taking advantage of the stage control running Speed Thunder offers. In the ditto, if they are running regular, they should NEVER make it to a charge above Elthunder unless they've hit you offstage. Walk forward, Thunder, walk forward again.

You also have a seemingly non-existent offstage game, and that's probably the most important part to start with. Throwing Arcfire at the ledge isn't a catch-all solution, and Meta was avoiding them relatively easily. Start experimenting with Nair, Elwind, Bair offstage, and ledge-trumping.

Meta
I honestly don't have a whole lot to say in specific here. You lost because you got sloppy and started telegraphing your landings and fishing for the final kill.

Game 2

Meta
4:16 - That shouldn't have been a roll, a standard getup would've been fine. It wasn't placed perfectly.

4:56 - Nice Elthunders, but you need to be taking steps forward between them. Speed Thunder is about the combination of harassment and stage control.
5:06 - *narrows eyes* That was nowhere in the neighborhood, and you could've easily been Elwind spiked in retaliation.

Chrom

Distant Nos what? Ok. You weren't really attempting regular Nos at all, so I'll see how this works out before I criticize taking it.

4:34 - You got hit there because you used your double jump right after getting hit. Hang onto it, you need it as a mix-up tool.

Good stage control so far, as an aside comment.

4:50 - That Dair should NOT have worked. If that had been blocked, you'd have been killed for it by a charged F-Smash.

Ok, so it got attempted a few times, but you never landed Distant Nos. I don't think it's worth it.

Time to play Monster Hunter. Might do Game 3 later.

STO

Smash Rookie
NNID
MagikSimon
Hey guys, STO here.

It's probably my first post in this Robin forum, but yeah, I'm a big Robin fan/main.

I've recently lost a local tournament (4th place) to this Toon Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrsuw1AwPeg (I'm the one in the gray hoodie)

I had absolutely no idea how to approach the Toon, and he definitely won the projectile game, so I had to approach him somehow.
Could you guys help me find what I did wrong and how I could improve to beat this guy next tournament?
(It's a local tournament so I'm very likely to encounter this Toon Link again)

Thank you!

Quick Edit: Just to clarify things I'm looking for ways to beat *THIS* Toon Link, I'm not asking for general Robin-Toon Link match-up tips
Almost a week and no reply, should I rather make a thread about it on the Toon Link character discussion group? Also bump :cry:

TDMshadowCP

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to make Robin one of my mains. Do you guys think I did good against this Marth Player? Any ways I could improve?

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I've been trying to make Robin one of my mains. Do you guys think I did good against this Marth Player? Any ways I could improve?

Thanks for the video @ TDMshadowCP TDMshadowCP and welcome to the boards! Perhaps I can offer some feedback as someone who plays both Robin and Marth. I will focus on 4 things.

1) Too many smash attacks, from both of you. A lot of the times you were not going to get a lot of reward for doing them, let alone a kill so there was not much of a point for you to do them.

2) Your Robin comes off as very stiff. Not only did you never short hopped you seemed very passive in the match. You could have chucked a lot more spells (elthunder, arcthunder, arcfire) to harass Marth especially since the Marth player was clearly not familiar with Robin's spells but you didn't and there were even time when you charged thunder when Marth was close to you. Naturally you got punished for that.

3) You let Marth get onto the stage for free. Don't. A simple offstage nair will spell doom for Marth/Lucina, even at low - mid percents if they used their second jump already. On the flip side, you were lucky that your opponent's gimping game was off. Marth should not have much of a problem edgeguarding Robin but because of a very poor decision on your opponent's part to use dair instead of fair, he end up paying the price for it although he was clearly in the lead.

4) Work on your arcfire conversions. Arcfire is great not only as a spacing/zoning tool but also as a combo started. Just practice Levin fair and Levin uair for a bit and you will get the hang of it. It's not too hard and it's very rewarding.

Anyways, thanks again for the match. I think that if you just practice moving around as Robin, learn how to be safer, and practice your arcfire combos you will improve drastically with your Robin play. Keep it up.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Almost a week and no reply, should I rather make a thread about it on the Toon Link character discussion group? Also bump :cry:
Sorry for the late replay and I apologize mods for the double post but I feel it would be more organized if I gave one response per post.

Anyways, the person who defeated you was yourself, not the TLink player. You just SD for no explicable reason and it just felt like you gave up. The ironic part is that for the most part, you were actually playing the match-up right until you gave up. Here are some tips though to help you.

1) Don't hold your shield for too long (it's easier to shield poke you that way) and if necessary, walk.

2) Use jab more. It's our best close range and thanks to the patch, wind jab can actually kill now.

3) When (successfully) jumping over projectiles toward tlink don't go too far in since that's what tlink wants. Also consider going for grab after you land instead of always going for the standard aerial attack.

4) Go offstage. Tlink's recovery isn't that good. If he uses his second jump go offstage and nair him, which will send him to his doom.

5) You were sort of doing this already but if you're winning, don't approach. Tlink won't win with projectiles alone and eventually has to approach, especially if he's losing. This particular Tlink player also struggled with approaching so be patient, both when you're losing and when you're winning.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Critic me plz!
http://www.twitch.tv/round3gaming/v/4973190

1 set starts at 14:26 (3 games)
2 set starts at 1:19:08 (3 games)
3 set starts at 1:39:48 (3 games)
Thanks for the matches @ Lemonade Candy Lemonade Candy . Not bad at all. But I did notice a few things.

1) Too many dash attacks. Go easy on them.
2) You missed some easy opportunities for a free shield grab. This was especially the case in the end of your first set on delfino where an easy shield grab bthrow would have won you the game.
3) Sometime when you're behind you get desperate for the ko and you toss out smash attacks recklessly. That will only make you lose faster.
4) I feel you're not pressuring your opponent enough when they're on platforms. Robin has many ways to do this as well as an aerial command grab in nosferatu. Mix it up.
5) Don't try to spike with LSdair. It almost never worked for you and you sd several times because of it. Use elwind instead.
6) Practice being more mindful of your tome and sword usage so you're more prepared to catch them.
7) Not enough nairs. It's a good spacing tool (especially against taller characters like Rosalina and Marth), it autocancels as long as you don't land with it and it's great for gimping certain characters like default Marth and even Megaman.
8) Since customs were allowed, you should consider using Speed Thunder. It honestly would've helped in all of your matches, ESPECIALLY the one against Megaman.

Anyways, that's it for all now. Thanks again for the matches and feel free to send more.

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
Thanks for the matches @ Lemonade Candy Lemonade Candy . Not bad at all. But I did notice a few things.

1) Too many dash attacks. Go easy on them.
2) You missed some easy opportunities for a free shield grab. This was especially the case in the end of your first set on delfino where an easy shield grab bthrow would have won you the game.
3) Sometime when you're behind you get desperate for the ko and you toss out smash attacks recklessly. That will only make you lose faster.
4) I feel you're not pressuring your opponent enough when they're on platforms. Robin has many ways to do this as well as an aerial command grab in nosferatu. Mix it up.
5) Don't try to spike with LSdair. It almost never worked for you and you sd several times because of it. Use elwind instead.
6) Practice being more mindful of your tome and sword usage so you're more prepared to catch them.
7) Not enough nairs. It's a good spacing tool (especially against taller characters like Rosalina and Marth), it autocancels as long as you don't land with it and it's great for gimping certain characters like default Marth and even Megaman.
8) Since customs were allowed, you should consider using Speed Thunder. It honestly would've helped in all of your matches, ESPECIALLY the one against Megaman.

Anyways, that's it for all now. Thanks again for the matches and feel free to send more.
Their dash grab is so unattractive to me. I either come up or short or never know which direction to throw. Also I dont know how to use nair lol.
Customs was on, but I didnt want to use them. Actually against rosalina I do think speed thunder would poop on luma.
What about those arc fires though?

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Their dash grab is so unattractive to me. I either come up or short or never know which direction to throw. Also I dont know how to use nair lol.
Customs was on, but I didnt want to use them. Actually against rosalina I do think speed thunder would poop on luma.
What about those arc fires though?
Well that's because their dash grab is very unattractive, in more than one sense of the word, haha. Just because you're dashing, doesn't mean you have to use either. In fact, you probably shouldn't use either all that often. Shield, shield drop jab, jump forward, jump backward, arcfire, do nothing, etc. Mix it up.

Stick with default arcfire. Arcfire+ is not really good and while Firewall does seem to have some uses in certain match-ups I would still use default arcfire against Rosalina and Marth (don't know about Megaman, I assume not either).

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
what moments do you use nair though? its like how unorthodox rosalina's nair is.
It's not quite that unorthodox. You can short hop nair to space out opponents the same way you would with any decent aerials and to pressure platforms. For example, if you're directly below the lower platforms, a sh nair covers the entire platform without you actually going above the platforms. To a degree, you can also use it to approach and pressure opponents since it autocancels and you can attempt to jab or even grab after you land. You can even retreat a little bit after initiating a sh nair due to Robin's floatiness. And finally, go off stage and gimp people with nair. You will love it, trust me.

If you look both at this page of the thread and the previous page, you will see videos from the all Robin tournament. One match that immediately comes to mind with good nair usage is my match against our beloved moderator and champion himself, Raziek (and yes, I lost that match, haha).

Edit: Turns out that particular match is not in this thread so here's a link to the playlist of the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkIFhnQcoa1q92eqbk7WpnONmsbHuAn_o

Last edited:

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
It's not quite that unorthodox. You can short hop nair to space out opponents the same way you would with any decent aerials and to pressure platforms. For example, if you're directly below the lower platforms, a sh nair covers the entire platform without you actually going above the platforms. To a degree, you can also use it to approach and pressure opponents since it autocancels and you can attempt to jab or even grab after you land. You can even retreat a little bit after initiating a sh nair due to Robin's floatiness. And finally, go off stage and gimp people with nair. You will love it, trust me.

If you look both at this page of the thread and the previous page, you will see videos from the all Robin tournament. One match that immediately comes to mind with good nair usage is my match against our beloved moderator and champion himself, Raziek (and yes, I lost that match, haha).

Edit: Turns out that particular match is not in this thread so here's a link to the playlist of the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkIFhnQcoa1q92eqbk7WpnONmsbHuAn_o
Thanks

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Long time lurking, first time posting

looking for feedback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtXp1ZLH0cI
Thanks for the match and welcome to the boards! And not a bad first post at that. Normally I give general feedback but because I didn't notice anything glaring in the one short match you posted, I'll do a play by play instead.

:15 cute combo but I feel at that point and percentage arcfire - levin fair - nair/levin fair/levin uair would have also landed and deal more damage.
:18 you were too far from your opponent when you landed the arcfire so you should have just immediately (short hop) levin fair
:27 again too far from your opponent. Should have just done levin fair or uair.
:47 kind of a pointless thunder. Just charge to Elthunder or Arcthunder.
1:09 there was really no point in using arcfire here. Seemed like too hard of a read at best.
1:12 I think you could have punished the charged usmash by sharking the stage with levin uair instead of immediately recovering to the ledge
1:16 Good dodge but a better punish would have been fire jab here.
1:19 Jab would have been good here. It's a decent anti-air when used to bait opponents to jump over arcfire like in this instance.
Something else I also noticed occasionally throughout the match is that you full hop nair. It really should be used out of a short hop instead and you can still catch tossed tomes with it as well.

Overall, however, a very solid performance. Keep it up!

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Really wish I could upload my online tournament matches here.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
http://youtu.be/TepCKQMOgvA

Here are some Robin dittos I had. :p
Warning: wall of text

First off Skarm, those were some fun matches we had and I will try my best to critique the both of us. I also think you made a comfy spot for yourself in the Social thread by readily accepting and offering challenges from your fellow tacticians. So good on you to take the initiative. Before my comments, however, a bit of context.

You were my first opponent after I got bodied by Raziek for about an hour. I asked for some feedback and he readily gave them to me. The reason why I mention this is because 1) starting with you, I started slowly trying to adjust my previously more preemptive style to a more reactive playstyle based on Raziek's constructive criticism and I tried to incorporate his feedback to various degrees of success and failure and 2) you (and anyone else reading this post) should check out the following page I linked below where he gave me feedback (complete with a video of me getting 3 stocked).

http://smashboards.com/threads/time...ting-1000-pages.334742/page-971#post-19326550

Originally I was gonna do a play by play but that was taking too long so I will opt for general comments instead.

1) first off, bad stage choice with FD. Robin does not actually like FD and omega stages. Robin likes stages with platforms to facilitate her arcfire traps and platform pressure/mix-ups. Furthermore, I was using speed thunder which automatically gives me the edge on a flat stage.

2) In our first few matches, it was clear you had the faster Robin and that your reactions were better than mine. You also punished me pretty well especially for my dumb thunder charges and arcfire start-ups.

3) You fell for many of my baits. For example, at 6:30 I took advantage of d-tilt's fast recovery (IASA frames?) to successfully bait you into an action and you happened to pick the worse of them at the time: airdodging towards me.

4) I already told you this in the social thread but too many dairs.

5) If anything, just elwind spike me more since it's clear to me you're on top of that already

6) Consider using nosferatu as a platform mix-ups every one in a while. For example, at 4:44 I saw you hold up your shield before I did anything so I successfully went for the command grab.

7) Again, use speed thunder in the ditto. Not only was I outzoning you from the offset, it actually got worse for you in the later matches we had (not really posted in the video) when I began pressuring you and even establishing better positioning with things like "Speed thunder (as in the 1st stage) - walk a bit - speed thunder - arcfire" That's something Raziek did against me when we were playing.

8) We all do this but you tend to flinch and airdodge a lot when offstage. For example, at 9:14 I baited an airdodge with fair to set you up for elwind spike, my original intention. See also the last stock of our last match on Lylat.

Overall, a very good showing from you and I enjoyed playing with you. Keep it up and you will get better in no time.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
2nd post; another match looking for feedback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFswlj8t80
Ah, here we go again. Your arcfire seem to have gotten better from the last time I saw you played. So props to you for that.

A play by play:

0:25 there was actually little reason to go for that nair when DDD was on the platform since there was no way he was gonna hit by that. A few other options among many include: using elthunder, charging thunder further, or going jumping further for the platform pressure.

0:27 Should have attempted uair instead. Seems you were autopiloting nair at that point.

0:32 pretty sick wavebounce (?) arcfire

You're kinda going for a lot of thunder (great with Speed thunder but not so much with default Thunder). You're really should be charging to at least Elthunder in this match-up more since elthunder does a good job of sending the Gordos back (see 3:18)

0:50-0:52 be careful with your double jumps. Your opponent can easily punish landing for doing that, which your opponent did.

1:09 You begin walking toward your opponent which I thought was a great mind game but then jump back for some reason without applying pressure or going for the grab. You lost presence of center stage and got punished for your landing as a result.

1:56 unnecessary roll there

3:01 That was pretty good on your opponent's part. MAYBE reacting with nair might have worked?

3:07 Wrong taunt man. I kid, I kid. The b-reverse afterwards was an odd choice to say the least.

3:30 Very nice way to seal the stock with that double spike.

Robin actually has a lot of ways to to knock back the gordos such as: nair, elthunder, thoron, fair, ftilt, etc. Try reacting to the gordos with these moves next time. You were also on point on punishing DDD with grabs.

Hopes this help and I look forward to your next video.

Last edited:

SpeedBump

Smash Rookie
NNID
XSpeedBumpX
Okay so it's my first time asking for feedback from a replay, but I finally got a capture card and was able to upload a sample to YouTube. I'm curious to know what I might improve on. Hopefully it's not something that makes people cringe to watch, but I guess I better get the badness out and rip the bandage off quickly. :roll:

Anyways, here's the link to my replay.

I had the chance to practice the matchup with another Smashboards user, @Stoven, and we went a round where he used some of Villager's customs (didn't use the exploding balloons custom in his custom setup). This was one of the first chances I had at dealing with these customs so I was trying to see what I could do on the fly.

P.S. Ignore the ending. Replay didn't show the lag that happened so it was kinda an anticlimactic ending. :p

A couple of my own observations...
- I land too much casting arcfire and get punished for it, need to break that habit.
- Jab thing was weird (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it); brain fart about what I was doing
- Arcfire on ledge is interesting against balloons; timed right could put it on/just above him on ledge
- I was able to abuse with Thoron as he was fishing for it by with Pocket; the spell is as threatening to hold as it can be to use against him
- I imagine running explosive balloons would've made the matchup much more of a camping fight and would've been hard to edge guard with arcfire as much.

Anyways, I guess that's all for now. I hope to get more chances at using this capture card to get some replays online so I can share what I've recorded and matches I've had for feedback and sharing in matchup experience I've acquired. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Okay so it's my first time asking for feedback from a replay, but I finally got a capture card and was able to upload a sample to YouTube. I'm curious to know what I might improve on. Hopefully it's not something that makes people cringe to watch, but I guess I better get the badness out and rip the bandage off quickly. :roll:

Anyways, here's the link to my replay.

I had the chance to practice the matchup with another Smashboards user, @Stoven, and we went a round where he used some of Villager's customs (didn't use the exploding balloons custom in his custom setup). This was one of the first chances I had at dealing with these customs so I was trying to see what I could do on the fly.

P.S. Ignore the ending. Replay didn't show the lag that happened so it was kinda an anticlimactic ending. :p

A couple of my own observations...
- I land too much casting arcfire and get punished for it, need to break that habit.
- Jab thing was weird (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it); brain fart about what I was doing
- Arcfire on ledge is interesting against balloons; timed right could put it on/just above him on ledge
- I was able to abuse with Thoron as he was fishing for it by with Pocket; the spell is as threatening to hold as it can be to use against him
- I imagine running explosive balloons would've made the matchup much more of a camping fight and would've been hard to edge guard with arcfire as much.

Anyways, I guess that's all for now. I hope to get more chances at using this capture card to get some replays online so I can share what I've recorded and matches I've had for feedback and sharing in matchup experience I've acquired. Thanks! :)
Thanks for the video @ SpeedBump SpeedBump . It was enjoyable to watch. I particularly enjoyed how you kept your cool despite a rough start. You also seem to have a pretty good eye for critiquing yourself, which is always important. Just a few things.

1) Use Speed Thunder. You eventually realize this in the match but elthunder and thoron are the way to go in this match-up. By using Speed Thunder you get quicker access to thoron, thereby exerting further dominance in the far range zoning war. You also get access to a very fast midscreen projectile in the form of regular thunder and near instant elthunder.

2) I see the brain fart with your jabs but you could have taken advantage of it with a grab. You tried to go for Jab 2 to grab but forgot to dash first at 1:58.

3) Since he was not running exploding ballons, you could have at least attempted to elwind spike him when he's recovering low. At the very least you would take away the balloons.

4) When just falling to the ground and doing nothing, fast fall to reach the ground faster. Admittedly, this is also something I need to do more often as well.

5) Finally, you need to catch your discarded tome. It's your strongest and fasted projectile and, just like thoron, it rips through all other projectiles. Make 'em read the book.

Overall, a very good performance. I look forward to seeing more.

SpeedBump

Smash Rookie
NNID
XSpeedBumpX
Thanks for the video @ SpeedBump SpeedBump . It was enjoyable to watch. I particularly enjoyed how you kept your cool despite a rough start. You also seem to have a pretty good eye for critiquing yourself, which is always important. Just a few things.

1) Use Speed Thunder. You eventually realize this in the match but elthunder and thoron are the way to go in this match-up. By using Speed Thunder you get quicker access to thoron, thereby exerting further dominance in the far range zoning war. You also get access to a very fast midscreen projectile in the form of regular thunder and near instant elthunder.

2) I see the brain fart with your jabs but you could have taken advantage of it with a grab. You tried to go for Jab 2 to grab but forgot to dash first at 1:58.

3) Since he was not running exploding ballons, you could have at least attempted to elwind spike him when he's recovering low. At the very least you would take away the balloons.

4) When just falling to the ground and doing nothing, fast fall to reach the ground faster. Admittedly, this is also something I need to do more often as well.

5) Finally, you need to catch your discarded tome. It's your strongest and fasted projectile and, just like thoron, it rips through all other projectiles. Make 'em read the book.

Overall, a very good performance. I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have just a couple points to respond with:

1. Yep, I was using Speed Thunder. Arcthunder was nice to occasional mix ups but sticking to Elthunder and Thoron are definitely ideal since Villager has so many projectiles to throw out. As much as I enjoy standard Thunder (especially for Arcthunder's ability to hold them in stun longer) I know that Villager won't let you get a chance to charge it, so I definitely run Speed Thunder for this match up.

2. Yeah, as I reviewed it myself I knew I should've tried for a grab, especially since he opted to shield when landing from the jab.

3. I didn't think about that - thanks for the suggestion! I know and have been trying to work on challenging more off stage for things like those early gimps but using Elwind to possibly take out balloons hadn't occurred to me. I'll have to look to try that in the future against him.

4. Thanks for pointing that out, I need to work on that more for sure.

5. Right, I sometimes don't manage my tomes well enough. I think I have a decent enough grasp on catching them most of the time but not so much in this instance.

Anyways, thanks again for the critique! I'm hoping to have some more available soon for review. :)

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have just a couple points to respond with:

1. Yep, I was using Speed Thunder. Arcthunder was nice to occasional mix ups but sticking to Elthunder and Thoron are definitely ideal since Villager has so many projectiles to throw out. As much as I enjoy standard Thunder (especially for Arcthunder's ability to hold them in stun longer) I know that Villager won't let you get a chance to charge it, so I definitely run Speed Thunder for this match up.

2. Yeah, as I reviewed it myself I knew I should've tried for a grab, especially since he opted to shield when landing from the jab.

3. I didn't think about that - thanks for the suggestion! I know and have been trying to work on challenging more off stage for things like those early gimps but using Elwind to possibly take out balloons hadn't occurred to me. I'll have to look to try that in the future against him.

4. Thanks for pointing that out, I need to work on that more for sure.

5. Right, I sometimes don't manage my tomes well enough. I think I have a decent enough grasp on catching them most of the time but not so much in this instance.

Anyways, thanks again for the critique! I'm hoping to have some more available soon for review. :)
Ah snaps, you did use Speed Thunder. Now I feel silly for pointing that out, haha. But yeah, good call on using that custom. I do think you can throw in some more regular 1st stage speed thunders. It's good for pressuring (example: walk, speed thunder, walk a bit more, speed thunder, etc.) and it's probably faster than all of Villager's projectile, including maybe the slingshot. Have to look that up though.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Winners finals from a recent 3ds revolution.

Uploading to show arcfire+ utility in a real match (I'm surprised i isn't obvious to everyone honestly)

You'll notice how I appear to go even with Duck Hunt in the camping war instead of winning it, but that's because not once did I catch and throw my books back at him like I had intended. I was very nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlVGhyUjco&feature=youtu.be

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Winners finals from a recent 3ds revolution.

Uploading to show arcfire+ utility in a real match (I'm surprised i isn't obvious to everyone honestly)

You'll notice how I appear to go even with Duck Hunt in the camping war instead of winning it, but that's because not once did I catch and throw my books back at him like I had intended. I was very nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlVGhyUjco&feature=youtu.be
Yeah, your nervousness is pretty evident not only as seen in the lack of tome tossing you mentioned but you were rolling a lot. You even did multiple rows in a row and got punished for it such as seen in 2:15. I'd probably also stick to elthunder and thoron and not use arcthunder. Duck Hunt's projectiles aren't that fast and it's relatively easy to block them at the last moment to get in as much charge as possible, especially with speed thunder. I also saw no offstage gimping attempts, which I found surprising since duck hunt is fairly easy to gimp, especially with a simple nair.

As for arcfire+, it's still hard for me to comment about it since I don't really use the move and this is practically the only video I have seen it in action. You did get a lot of mileage from it obviously, but at the same time your opponent was pressing a lot of buttons, making him open to begin with. I'd have to see more honestly. Do you have the rest of the set by any chance?

Overall, however, a good match on your part with good patience.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yeah, your nervousness is pretty evident not only as seen in the lack of tome tossing you mentioned but you were rolling a lot. You even did multiple rows in a row and got punished for it such as seen in 2:15. I'd probably also stick to elthunder and thoron and not use arcthunder. Duck Hunt's projectiles aren't that fast and it's relatively easy to block them at the last moment to get in as much charge as possible, especially with speed thunder. I also saw no offstage gimping attempts, which I found surprising since duck hunt is fairly easy to gimp, especially with a simple nair.

As for arcfire+, it's still hard for me to comment about it since I don't really use the move and this is practically the only video I have seen it in action. You did get a lot of mileage from it obviously, but at the same time your opponent was pressing a lot of buttons, making him open to begin with. I'd have to see more honestly. Do you have the rest of the set by any chance?

Overall, however, a good match on your part with good patience.
Unfortunately I do not.

The reason you hardly se see arcfire+ is becasue the Robin players made a huge mistake not including it in a single preset. As you can see from the match it has great utility. As I only recommend using it in camping match ups. The point of it is not just to punish your opponent but to contain his camping. Camping characters(like Duck Hunt) press a lot of buttons because they think it's safe, arcfire+ turns that on it's head

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Man I lost all my replays
But ya hopefully I will go to more tournies to try out my Robin sadly most tournies I go to
I have to end up using olimar because they just spam the high tiers on me

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Does anyone want to add me to play me a ditto match sometime :)
Nnid master_morrisn
That way we can add some videos and what not

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I played with False Sense in some friendlies this evening. I have more replays but I have to get them recorded and uploaded so I'll try to work on that in some of my free time tomorrow. I'll try to have the rest up by Wednesday. (Also, yay for my brand new recording device)

Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
Match 5
Match 6
Match 7
Match 8
Match 9

They're all up as of now.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What, no videos for over 10 days?

Let me fix that. Here's @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal with his customs Robin(Speed Thunder in all three, Fire Wall in Match 3) against my default Samus.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
This is my favorite section of the boards! Here's another match looking for feedback; @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal waiting for ya!
https://youtu.be/KlBtm3365zQ
Haha, I'm glad you like my feedback and I look forward to another of your videos. But it's late from where I'm at so I should be heading to bed soon so I will get to it later. Count on it.

Edit: @ eyejayy eyejayy , your tech and execution skills, as seen by your wave-bouncing arcfires, b-reversals, and rar levin bair after arcfire, improved by a lot since the last video you posted. Very impressive. Having said that, just because you can do these techniques, doesn't mean you have to do them all the time. For example, at 2:44, there was no need to do the b-reversal and you may have actually missed a punished as a result. If anything, the power behind these techniques is to use them occasionally to throw your opponent off and to also, in the case of b-reversing, to avoid a juggle situation.

Partially because you were focused a lot on b-reversing, there was also a surprising lack of elthunder and arcthunder in this match-up. Roy, like Captain Falcon, has a long initial dash, meaning it takes a while for him to shield after a dash. This means that you can actually react to his dash with elthunder, especially if you happen to be using the speed thunder custom (I'm a big fan of it but that's a discussion for another day).

Overall, however, thanks for another enjoyable match to watch. You have become a very consistent poster in this specific thread, which is great. So because of that, I do have one request. If you ever decide to post another video, I of course will provide feedback. But I would like it to be a match where you lose. Doesn't have to be one where you get absolutely wrecked but it should be one where you are clearly struggling throughout. I say this because I feel I can actually help you even more in that case since the most learning naturally occurs where there is struggle.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581

This was a best of 7 set I had last Tuesday which was a 30$ money match. The first two matches had an issue with the recording so they weren't able to be saved. This was some of my first real experience with Villager so I had to adjust to how Villager will play. He didn't utilize the trees or the bowling balls as much as I predicted so that made things a little easier. I really need to stop going in though when I have the lead. I noticed I did that in some of the matches as well as I have a habit of doing it in general. I quickly learned that I shouldn't take a Villager to Delfino. We were character locked too btw.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice

This was a best of 7 set I had last Tuesday which was a 30$ money match. The first two matches had an issue with the recording so they weren't able to be saved. This was some of my first real experience with Villager so I had to adjust to how Villager will play. He didn't utilize the trees or the bowling balls as much as I predicted so that made things a little easier. I really need to stop going in though when I have the lead. I noticed I did that in some of the matches as well as I have a habit of doing it in general. I quickly learned that I shouldn't take a Villager to Delfino. We were character locked too btw.
Those were some pretty awesome matches I have to say, very close ones as well.

Good stuff!. :D

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Just a replay to show where I am with Robin. At a weekly, against someone who doesn't play Smash 4 that much, so take this replay with a grain of salt... I'll try to get more matches recorded, against better players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom