• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902

Here's my replay against a guy on Anther's. Tell me what you guys think.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
@ gameonion gameonion and @ Meta651 Meta651 , sorry for being late with the responses. I typically get to the videos a bit faster but I was a bit absent-minded with them this time around. Anyways, I will do both of your responses, along with @ eyejayy eyejayy in one big post and I will do them in order.

1. gameonion.
Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Anther's ladder's ruleset but if it's possible I recommend 1) not going to Castle Siege as Robin and 2) using customs. The customs I recommend against Mario are speed thunder and firewall, which is good for creating breathing space and preventing short hop approaches. Also, although you got away with it to a degree, against Mario I wouldn't use as many arcthunders since it's easier to reflect on reaction and often collides with fireballs innocuously in midair, which was suspiciously missing from the Mario player. I would also be careful with trying to destroy the statues since doing that can leave you open and doing that also stales your moves.

Having said, you won in a pretty solid fashion, in large because you were on point with punishing your opponent's rolls and whiffs. So keep doing that.

2. Meta651
Good use of speed thunder. Although you struggled in the first half of the Ryu match, you were able to pull through in large part because you more consistently took center stage. So if you weren't consciously aware you were doing that, you should be doing that more often. Also, very good stage counter-pick against Little Mac. I'm actually surprised he didn't ban that stage.

Main thing I'm seeing is that you have to be a bit more careful with using arcfire, perhaps just use it less. Against Ryu, I would use wind jab more. Ryu has that unfortunate constitution that makes him more susceptible to wind jab compared to other characters. In fact, you might have closed off his first stock earlier if you used wind jab. Against Little Mac, I also consider running firewall. You can aircamp him easier this way and the speed of firewall allows you to keep him out a bit better since Little Mac can easily punish the lag after default arcfire. Finally, I didn't really many edgeguarding attempts from you and I feel you should by trying them more, especially against Little Mac.

3) eyejayy

This is actually a good video because you clearly struggled, especially in the neutral, and to be blunt, you only won because of excellent edgeguarding. Admittedly, those were very brilliant, beautiful, and clutch edgeguards and the first one deserves to be in a highlight somewhere. But in general, if Link tries to recover to the ledge with zair, then it can actually be difficult to edgeguard him with nair.

Unfortunately, the two first big advice I would've given you doesn't apply to you because I would have recommend using different customs and going to a stage not called FD against Link, but For Glory forbids both of those things.

First off, arcthunder should be used sparingly in this MU. Stick to elthunder for the quick projectile and to punish landings/rolls or charge to thoron to force Link to approach and punish his projectiles. Personally, I find there are two ideal zones/areas to be when fighting Link. The first zone is as far away as possible to safely charge thoron and just shield on reaction to any projectiles Link pull out. The other area is jab range or closer. Robin's jab is faster than most, if not all, of Link's move so it is a key move in this match-up. Ftilt and dtilt are pretty good as well in this regard since they're also pretty quick. In other words, when you're on the ground, you want to beat the power and long range of the Master Sword with quicker attacks. A lot of the times, however, you were in neither zones and in the middle instead, which is where Link wants you to be.

The next piece of advice I have is a classic example of easier said than done. It's to power-shield projectiles or at least shield them as late as possible. Admittedly, I'm pretty terrible with this as well but unfortunately that's just the nature of the MU. It may help to mix up jumping with walking since you still have all options on the table when walking, including shielding.

Thanks again for the video. I will have try out that first edgeguard sometime. Looking forward to the next one.

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
@ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal
im posting this match for you.. i lost horribly. Need to learn the sonic MU and definitely should've used firewall & speed thunder. Not my best play but now i'm for sure going to need feedback/critique on how to handle certain situations. Going to place better than top 10 (9th to be exact) in tournaments! REFLET NEEDS A BUFF IN RUNNING SPEED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1jZ2bsZ7Y

first map was chosen randomly... 100% in sonic's favor having no walk offs. I know i played terribly, i am just looking on how to improve in this MU.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
@ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal
im posting this match for you.. i lost horribly. Need to learn the sonic MU and definitely should've used firewall & speed thunder. Not my best play but now i'm for sure going to need feedback/critique on how to handle certain situations. Going to place better than top 10 (9th to be exact) in tournaments! REFLET NEEDS A BUFF IN RUNNING SPEED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1jZ2bsZ7Y

first map was chosen randomly... 100% in sonic's favor having no walk offs. I know i played terribly, i am just looking on how to improve in this MU.
Ah, 8wayrun. I didn't know they did Smash tourneys. Anyways, thanks for the replays again. While I did watch both of the matches you just posted, I will mainly focus on the Sonic match although some of my critiques will apply to both.

First and foremost, you were punished a lot for your arcfire placements. You whiffed several in the ROB match (maybe some were attempts at a hard read?) and you even wavebounced arcfire to the gyro a few times. In the Sonic match you were punished from BOTH above and below for your arcfire placements. You actually lost your last stock for it. So be careful with them and honestly, use it bit less. Against Sonic, you should most definitely use it less and as you mentioned, it may be best just to use firewall instead.

On a related note, in your match on Delfino, you were oddly a bit off some of your arcfire conversions although that is usually not the case with you (tourney jitters?) Two particularly missed opportunities were at 5:53 where Levin uair would've killed and 7:40 where you could have won the match if you hadn't missed your conversion. In fact, I think Levin fair might have killed due to both range and the fact that you were close to the blastzone. Sometimes simple is best.

In terms of stages, I don't think you picked a bad choice per say and Delfino is a very good stage for Robin, contrary to what the commentators say. Having said that , they might have been right in saying battlefield potentially being better in this MU since the platforms substantially help for arcfire traps. I also don't think you weren't taking advantage of Delfino's odd transformations enough. For example, in the transformation with multiple pillars with water in between, there were moments when Sonic was in the water. Those should have been easy elwind or even levin dair damage right there but you didn't go for it. The commentators also made an ironic statement about this stage and talking about some of the uneven transformation: "I mean what is Robin even suppose to do?" "I don't know? Camp I guess?" Exactly. That is what you should be doing more with the uneven transformation and walls, especially since this Sonic was more aggressive than your typical campy ones.

Since Sonic is very good at punishing landings, I recommend staying a bit more grounded. Reserve your b-reverses mainly for escaping juggles. Spin dashes are very hard to punish and there are times when you kinda have to let it go. If you try to punish it, you should definitely never use a smash attack to punish because it's easily avoidable, like at 3:10. A simple turnaround jab or ftilt would have been better, because even if they don't punish they are at least safer.

In regards to Speed Thunder, if you're gonna use (which you should for many MUs like Sonic), you really should be using the thunder spells at least a little bit more. Elthunder, especially, since it is a near instant charge and may actually be your best chance at actually zoning out Sonic temporarily. Thunder (as in the 1st stage spell), unlike it's default version, is a lot more usable because of both its increased speed and range. I recommend you play around with it just to see just how much range that move has for a projectile for the speed it has.

The Sonic MU is a tough one so I totally get the struggle. Hmm, maybe we should talk about that MU next in the MU thread. To your credit though, you did make some good adjustments in game 2 and you actually played pretty well the second round despite a rough first round. In fact, you could have won that round but a few hiccups prevented that. Hopefully my suggestions help a bit and I hope you also take another look at the video if you haven't done so already. Looking forward to the next one.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Two matches with the aforementioned Hukster that I introduced to the social, Robin isn't his main but some pointers would be nice so I can pass it on to him.

eyejayy

Smash Cadet

Two matches with the aforementioned Hukster that I introduced to the social, Robin isn't his main but some pointers would be nice so I can pass it on to him.
Ok, first and foremost I see your buddy doing falling FAirs... it worked at times but there's no auto cancel window so the lag can be punishable. Continuing with the falling aerial he's attacked on shield multiple times. He has conditioned you to shield when he comes down for an attack... he should have mixed up and Nosferatu. Another mixup being tomahawk-grab. Grab beats shield. From this change up alone, his approaches would be unpredictable.

Another thing he could have done is realize the Samus MU will spam side B in conditioning the opponent to jump. Your gameplay became a little campy at the end of the second match. A good way to deal with it would be to charge Thoron on the platform and use it against the missiles. Most of the time your charged shot hit him after he attacked on shield (primarily a falling FAir)

Side note: Robin is one of those characters that isn't easy to pickup (imo RYU is the hardest) The time put into the character will reflect on gameplay. There's so many tools in her kit! For example, he could've used thunder to destroy the missles. Getting into the correct mindset takes time because other characters are usually just grab into pressing A+direction of opponent. With Robin it's like playing chess... understand your opponent habits to adapt and take advantage by using the right moves.

P.S- my first time giving feedback. usually the 1 posting the clips expecting it so I really do hope this will help your frend be a better tactician!

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Found this vid of our fellow Robin Dath playing in a low tier GF against NickRiddle.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Good evening everyone! I would like to invite all Robin Players here to watch my Highlight Video!
I hope you enjoy it at least for the music xDD
How do I make the thumbnail appear in the post and not only the link description?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL0pWQQ2-sU
When you are typing the post or editing it you click the highlight reel button by the simile and image button and you post your vid in the media link bar.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I know that the patch dropped and what not but here's the last recorded matches of my Robin before the patch dropped from this Tuesday at my local weekly.

I used Marcina and Robin this game and my Robin use was game 2.

Other recorded match that I had recorded on stream where I used Bowser and Robin vs D3 and goofed up on sealing the stocks. Robin play starts around the 3:22 mark

TTT Neko

Smash Rookie
Hi there,
i'm creating this thread for the people who want to main robin and play him/her in tournaments but aren't quite sure if they're good enough.
Thus letting others judge your robin for you!

For starters, here's my robin:
if possible please give some pointers on what could of been done better etc!

let's show the world what robin is capable of, specially since the 1.1.0 patch! :)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
For future reference, there's a video thread where criticism is often given. You're better off posting future videos there. @ Raziek Raziek , merge these two posts there?

As for your Robin, it's good, but two things from me.

-Elwind spikes are generally safer than Levin spikes.
-Not a single down throw--->Wind Jab? Everyone's going nuts over that. You should use it.

TTT Neko

Smash Rookie
For future reference, there's a video thread where criticism is often given. You're better off posting future videos there. @ Raziek Raziek , merge these two posts there?

As for your Robin, it's good, but two things from me.

-Elwind spikes are generally safer than Levin spikes.
-Not a single down throw--->Wind Jab? Everyone's going nuts over that. You should use it.
ah sorry about the placement of the thread then,
ya i killed myself quite some times with the levin spike, elwind would indeed be safer, however quite hard to hit (for me at least)
and ya i should of used the new combo throw more, guess i'm still used to pre-patch too much hehe
cheers!

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
You make those wavebounced Arcfires seem effortless. How are you handling the inputs for them?
How do I handle them? To be concrete the button inputs are side b, then immediately flick left stick the opposite direction. I've been really good at doing neutral b reverse since 3ds days so having a GC controller made the side b reverse/wavebounce a ton easier.

I have a hard time doing wave bounce//reverse on 3ds. The GC controller is the reason I can perform them.

TL;DR- I like to mash buttons unnecessarily.

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow Robin mains!
After a couple hours in for glory and some time in movie maker (shudders) I've finally managed to create my first montage!
I'm mostly posting it here for critique on editing and possibly gameplay if you can, I know there's not a lot to work with because I mostly just included kills :p
Without further ado....
If anyone knows of a better free video editing software, please tell me :)

And a note to moderators, I didn't know if it was against forum rules to do self advertisements, and I guess this can be considered one. If it is just tell me and I will remove it immediately

Tricky Al

Smash Cadet
There's actually a Robin Video thread which is where you ought to have posted this but I'm no moderator. Nice comeback in that Robin ditto. Would've like to have seen the whole thing instead of bits and pieces of matches. Too much Dair in your game but to each their own ;)

Edit: Editing seemed fine to me.

Last edited:

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
With this kind of montages, its better just to show the "cool bit" rather than the match before hand as such. For example, that link clip at the beginning could have been shortened way earlier, it kind of felt like I was sitting around waiting for something cool to happen. The editing was good, I just noticed that you said you did it in windows movie maker, which is pretty impressive considering how **** that program is lol.

As for free editing software..hmm you might be out of luck. Unless you uh..obtain something like vegas or premier...somewhere...slightly illegal
:rolleyes:

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
Pretty good, now I want to make one. It'll just be gimp-city for me lol, I love off-stage gimps.

Nyrélhos

Smash Rookie
Hey !

I have a little problem with my Robin : I'm not able to edgeguard. I wonder why, I don't know what I should do and what I shouldn't, I am literally lost about edgeguarding.
So I have a request for you : could you, please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it ? Here's a match against a Captain Falcon where I failed to edgeguard him a tons of times.
Take in consideration that this video doesn't reflect my real level ; I was obsessed with the idea to edgeguard him so I constantly wanted to send him off the stage. It was voluntary. So please just comment my edgeguarding game and not my neutral game or something else !

And I did 3 matchs with that Falcon, and I never managed to edgeguard him even once.

Thank you and I hope you'll be able to help me !

Last edited:

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
With this kind of montages, its better just to show the "cool bit" rather than the match before hand as such. For example, that link clip at the beginning could have been shortened way earlier, it kind of felt like I was sitting around waiting for something cool to happen. The editing was good, I just noticed that you said you did it in windows movie maker, which is pretty impressive considering how **** that program is lol.

As for free editing software..hmm you might be out of luck. Unless you uh..obtain something like vegas or premier...somewhere...slightly illegal
:rolleyes:
Oh it's not that bad! I mean, it only crashed on me 3 times and I lost all my work, no biggie. :p
Yeah looking back on it I can tell there's a bit too much filler in it, I'll definitely work on that next time.

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
There's actually a Robin Video thread which is where you ought to have posted this but I'm no moderator. Nice comeback in that Robin ditto. Would've like to have seen the whole thing instead of bits and pieces of matches. Too much Dair in your game but to each their own ;)

Edit: Editing seemed fine to me.
Ugh I can't believe I forgot about that thread, next video I upload i'll make sure to put it in there, Thanks!
As for the Robin ditto...unfortunately it wasn't that great. The guy mostly spammed Thoron and rolls with a couple arcfires mixed in. :(
At least it taught me that i'm complete trash at fighting me own character lol. However yesterday I got a couple of very good Robin ditto matches, so i'll be sure to upload those soon or include them in the next video I make.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
The set that knocked me out of loser's at VS a couple weekends ago. It's very demotivating, I think I was being too narrow minded and was auto piloting...

Blegh...

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Hey !

I have a little problem with my Robin : I'm not able to edgeguard. I wonder why, I don't know what I should do and what I shouldn't, I am literally lost about edgeguarding.
So I have a request for you : could you, please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it ? Here's a match against a Captain Falcon where I failed to edgeguard him a tons of times.
Take in consideration that this video doesn't reflect my real level ; I was obsessed with the idea to edgeguard him so I constantly wanted to send him off the stage. It was voluntary. So please just comment my edgeguarding game and not my neutral game or something else !

And I did 3 matchs with that Falcon, and I never managed to edgeguard him even once.

Thank you and I hope you'll be able to help me !
Thanks for the video. I think you already know what your main problem was. You said it yourself; you were too obsessed with edgeguarding to the point where your neutral suffered (but I won't go further since you said not to comment on it) and you often just spaced your nairs and elwinds incorrectly offstage. You often went offstage too early in anticipation as opposed to reading or reacting where your opponent wants to go. The only time you correctly spaced an offstage edguard was actually at 1:08, but by that point you were going offstage so often that it was super obvious and easy for your opponent to react to. You also sometime did not choose the right move for the situation. For example, at 2:05 Elwind would have been better to use.

You were also too obsessed with offstage edgegaurding. I saw no attempts to edgeguard onstage such as a simple arcfire to the edge or a ledge trump. I also saw no attempts at baiting an airdodge offstage as well.

Overall, you were just suffering from tunnel vision. Take that away and and add in being more aware of different possibilities for edgeguard will probably help your edgeguarding game a lot. Hopes this helps.

http://youtu.be/MDaM_cSHbW4
posting more matches because of the easy to use, new YouTube feature.
It's good to hear you're getting some mileage of the new Youtube feature especially since I actually hear it is quite flawed but that's a discussion for another day. Again, overall solid play although it did seem you were somewhat unfamiliar with the Zelda match-up at first. I mainly have 2 things to say this time around.

1) Just be mindful of how charging thunder will help you lose stage control on occasions, especially when sometimes it's just better to press the advantage. It wasn't that big of an issue in this match but it is something you should consider going forward.

2) The new d-throw (thank you Sakurai!) at mid percents and even higher is good for airdodge traps. For example, if your reactions are on point you can do something like sh bronze fair (mid percent)/full hop levin uair (higher percent but not quite ko percent) to force the airdodge and than just grab them when they land and than repeat the process. You were actually kinda doing it toward the end so something like that. Naturally, there are many more options than the ones I just listed. D-throw combos and mix-ups are probably what all of us Robins, myself included, need to practice and improve on especially since it's a tad more finicky than it looks. So we're all in the same boat.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Thanks for the video. I think you already know what your main problem was. You said it yourself; you were too obsessed with edgeguarding to the point where your neutral suffered (but I won't go further since you said not to comment on it) and you often just spaced your nairs and elwinds incorrectly offstage. You often went offstage too early in anticipation as opposed to reading or reacting where your opponent wants to go. The only time you correctly spaced an offstage edguard was actually at 1:08, but by that point you were going offstage so often that it was super obvious and easy for your opponent to react to. You also sometime did not choose the right move for the situation. For example, at 2:05 Elwind would have been better to use.

You were also too obsessed with offstage edgegaurding. I saw no attempts to edgeguard onstage such as a simple arcfire to the edge or a ledge trump. I also saw no attempts at baiting an airdodge offstage as well.

Overall, you were just suffering from tunnel vision. Take that away and and add in being more aware of different possibilities for edgeguard will probably help your edgeguarding game a lot. Hopes this helps.
I'm just so disappointed in my performance. I've been struggling with depression issues as of late, and this was not helpful in getting out of the rut.

I trained my Doggy so much against pre-patch Diddy, I should have know better to just calm down and wait for him to choose an option to correctly punish. Usually I would try to bait a monkey flip, so I should have applied pressure, like you mentioned. If they flip, it's an u-air or drop down, turn around Thunder punish, and if he dropped, free Elwinds.

I won't john, I did get beat. But I'm more so just so... down on myself that I lost to someone who wasn't really doing much... he had a bad rolling into smashes habit, and his approaches were very obvious. I just crumpled like bad origami...

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I'm just so disappointed in my performance. I've been struggling with depression issues as of late, and this was not helpful in getting out of the rut.

I trained my Doggy so much against pre-patch Diddy, I should have know better to just calm down and wait for him to choose an option to correctly punish. Usually I would try to bait a monkey flip, so I should have applied pressure, like you mentioned. If they flip, it's an u-air or drop down, turn around Thunder punish, and if he dropped, free Elwinds.

I won't john, I did get beat. But I'm more so just so... down on myself that I lost to someone who wasn't really doing much... he had a bad rolling into smashes habit, and his approaches were very obvious. I just crumpled like bad origami...
I'm not sure why you quoted me since those comments were meant for someone else. Having said that, I just finished watching your Robin match with Diddy a few times so I can now offer you some comments on top of the ones you just made yourself.

Gotta watch out for your landing. You full hopped a few too many times and while full hop in it of itself is not bad, your opponent was able to punish your landing often with a banana or sometime. Since you played on Town and City, you could have used Elwind to platforms more to escape the juggles and land more easily. In fact, the one time you attempted that, it worked.

You also didn't really attempt any offstage edgeguard letting your opponent get back for free. At the same time, you opted to charge instead of pressing the advantage which, again, allowed your opponent to get back for free.

I suspect you know this already but you didn't play all that bad the first stock until well, the sd. From that point on, it was pretty evident your mental focus took a hit and your started playing on tilt ever since. Admittedly, I don't really know how to tell you to not feel frustrated since it's perfectly understandable why you would feel that way, but it is something that seems to affect your gameplay, especially given your prior comments. The only thing I can say is that, if you decide to post more videos, I'll do my best to provide feedback.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm not sure why you quoted me since those comments were meant for someone else. Having said that, I just finished watching your Robin match with Diddy a few times so I can now offer you some comments on top of the ones you just made yourself.

Gotta watch out for your landing. You full hopped a few too many times and while full hop in it of itself is not bad, your opponent was able to punish your landing often with a banana or sometime. Since you played on Town and City, you could have used Elwind to platforms more to escape the juggles and land more easily. In fact, the one time you attempted that, it worked.

You also didn't really attempt any offstage edgeguard letting your opponent get back for free. At the same time, you opted to charge instead of pressing the advantage which, again, allowed your opponent to get back for free.

I suspect you know this already but you didn't play all that bad the first stock until well, the sd. From that point on, it was pretty evident your mental focus took a hit and your started playing on tilt ever since. Admittedly, I don't really know how to tell you to not feel frustrated since it's perfectly understandable why you would feel that way, but it is something that seems to affect your gameplay, especially given your prior comments. The only thing I can say is that, if you decide to post more videos, I'll do my best to provide feedback.
My bad. =X I saw a notification and my brain made a dumb connection. Sorry.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Went Robin for the first set at my local today. Got on stream, so I figured I would share. I ended up mostly playing DK and Dark Pit later in bracket, but this still happened. Not amazing play, the first game was a mess, but it could've gone far worse.

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Hello again fellow tacticians.
Some of you may remember me from an earlier thread I created with a Robin montage. Well I went ahead and recreated it, this time with an actual editor and not movie maker. :p And considering we have this thread dedicated to videos I thought this would be a much better place to post then a new thread. So without further ado, I present to you guys my montage.

Any comments are 100% welcome!

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Well I remade this montage, yay!
This time I posted it in the video archive so that I don't create another thread. Thank you for the constructive comments I got, I definitely used them in recreating the remake!
I can't seem to find a way of deleting this thread, I don't really want it cluttering up our forum page but unless a moderator thinks there's reason to delete it I guess it stays.

Top Bottom