• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Robin vs Metaknight

The robin player plays multiple characters btw.

While that Robin player did pretty well for the most part, I feel like there were several points where he was right next to Meta Knight while he was shielding where he could have easily had Robin grab or Nosferatu Meta Knight, and... he didn't. He also could have used Down-Smash rather than Side Smash to ensure a hit a few times, as well. I think that capitalizing on those moments could have made that already solid victory even better, but that's just me.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
While that Robin player did pretty well for the most part, I feel like there were several points where he was right next to Meta Knight while he was shielding where he could have easily had Robin grab or Nosferatu Meta Knight, and... he didn't. He also could have used Down-Smash rather than Side Smash to ensure a hit a few times, as well. I think that capitalizing on those moments could have made that already solid victory even better, but that's just me.
I agree. Using multiple characters often makes those kinds of mistakes happen. Though using so many characters - as much as he does - is a different kind of impressive.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
So they're still in the process of getting all the videos uploaded, but here are the first two of my recorded sets from that tournament.

:4robinf: vs.:4myfriends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnhUVodvmo
(Round 1 btw)

:4robinf: vs.:4link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5WluUdO3w
(Round 3)

I'll try to post the other video soon after it gets uploaded.
Since you offered these videos for your fellow tacticians to look over, allow me to put in my 2 cents (although I'm sure others can give you more valuable input such as @ Raziek Raziek ). For now at least, I will only say a few things and I will mainly focus on the Link match-up since you obviously struggled more with that one than the Ike one.

1) For characters like Ike and Link, you may want to consider off stage nairs and bronze fair more. These will easily decimate their lives early, especially if they used their second jump already.

2) You're pretty good with your Oos smash punishes. But there were times, when you should have just opted for an easier, more reliable punish. For example, at both 8:22 and 14:47 you could have just gone for a backthrow. In both cases, your opponent was at really high percents, you had rage, and your bthrow was fresh, so it probably would have killed. At 8:22 especially, there was definitely no way a smash attack would ko Link since your Levin sword was used up.

3) The classic problem of what to do when you block an attack your opponent's attack but they're behind you. Either master the art of oos short hop bair (which is character dependent admittedly) and shield dropping to turn around tilt, jab, etc. or just be patient and wait to react to your opponent. Whatever you do, don't just instinctively roll, which what cost you the first game.

4) Good use of nosferatu and tome tosses. You had some cute tricks with them. Loved them all.

Overall, however, very solid play and I have a feeling you already know some of the mistakes you made. Thanks for sharing these videos.:) I especially enjoyed your Link matches. Also, if anyone disagrees with what I said feel free to do so.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
So they're still in the process of getting all the videos uploaded, but here are the first two of my recorded sets from that tournament.

:4robinf: vs.:4myfriends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnhUVodvmo
(Round 1 btw)

:4robinf: vs.:4link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5WluUdO3w
(Round 3)

I'll try to post the other video soon after it gets uploaded.
Good show! Let us know when the rest are up.
Besides what @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal mentioned, you should try going for stage spikes more. Either run off b-air (with LS at lower %s) or second hit of n-air. For extra #swag, practice spiking with the sweetspot on Elwind.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
:4robinf:(Camalange) vs.:4robinf: (M@v) : http://youtu.be/Fvr5K2NE_Eo

Online "With Friends" match.

I'm the darker red Robin, and @ M@v M@v is the regular red (completely unplanned, as evidenced by our opening taunts).
Some online flubs here and there, but overall pretty solid connection and think it's a good initial base for review.

I mostly lurk and have been practicing Robin on the side as a secondary, so any kind of starting points would be great (for either of us really). Thanks!

:093:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Looks like the other videos are up.
:4robinf:vs.:4zss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpQ9Vhz7yQ
(Winners Finals.) I am almost too embarrassed to show this video for how badly I get bopped, but if it could help me improve then I guess my shame will be worth it.

:4robinf:vs. :4fox:and:4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxHePvDzaQ
(Loser Finals.) If I'm going to say anything is that I hate fighting :4sonic: with a passion. Honestly in the final match of our set, I was kinda mentally done. I had a bad mindset in the game and was generally not thinking very highly of myself. Was pretty salty after I lost, but since I sent him into Losers in the first place, I wasn't too upset.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
:4robinf:(Camalange) vs.:4robinf: (M@v) : http://youtu.be/Fvr5K2NE_Eo

Online "With Friends" match.

I'm the darker red Robin, and @ M@v M@v is the regular red (completely unplanned, as evidenced by our opening taunts).
Some online flubs here and there, but overall pretty solid connection and think it's a good initial base for review.

I mostly lurk and have been practicing Robin on the side as a secondary, so any kind of starting points would be great (for either of us really). Thanks!

Admittedly, it was kinda hard for me to differentiate who was who, especially because of the shifting shadows and such, but I suppose what I have to say can be applied to both of you.

1) a bit too many dash attacks. It's laggy and you will be punished for it. It's also not the best of mix-ups after your opponent blocks arcfire. So for example, at 1:50, @ M@v M@v probably should have gone for a grab mix up instead of dash attack. Even if you were trying to read the dodge roll background, a dash grab would've also covered that option.

2) might have just been an online flub but I didn't see either of you pick up a tossed tome or Levin Sword. IF you're having problems catching them reliably, I personally find it easiest to jump and catch them with the grab button. Don't wanna miss out on that 18% damage.

Overall, however, very solid play. Keep it up the both of you and thanks for sharing.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Admittedly, it was kinda hard for me to differentiate who was who, especially because of the shifting shadows and such, but I suppose what I have to say can be applied to both of you.
Yeah, I blame M@v for stealing my colors.
1) a bit too many dash attacks. It's laggy and you will be punished for it. It's also not the best of mix-ups after your opponent blocks arcfire. So for example, at 1:50, @ M@v M@v probably should have gone for a grab mix up instead of dash attack. Even if you were trying to read the dodge roll background, a dash grab would've also covered that option.
I can agree with that. I like going for the DA because of its disjoint, active frames, and quick start-up, but I give it a little too much credit at times. It's really easy to punish on whiff.
2) might have just been an online flub but I didn't see either of you pick up a tossed tome or Levin Sword. IF you're having problems catching them reliably, I personally find it easiest to jump and catch them with the grab button. Don't wanna miss out on that 18% damage.
The lag didn't help, but I wasn't all that great at recognizing when I'd toss them and then react in time to catch. I've been getting better at it recently and have been more consistent. Definitely need to be able to acknowledge and capitalize on it.
Overall, however, very solid play. Keep it up the both of you and thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Much appreciate you watching and providing feedback.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
@ Célja Célja I guess you already know some of this, but...

Vs ZSS:
  • It feels like you mainly had problems deciding what to do when ZSS was in your face.
  • ZSS is pretty fast, so try not to leave yourself open. ESPECIALLY if you're within down B range. That things kills early.
  • That last stock was... unfortunate. I'm not sure how you're supposed to DI that. I think down and away?
  • On-stage Elwind: Just don't.
  • You seem to be aware of this, but in case it was a flub (and for others that aren't): If you buffer a ledge roll/attack/jump, you won't get ledge trumped. Some people utilize the "Cold Steel (the Hedgeheg)": Ledge trump + back air. It can be pretty deadly. Why am I mentioning this? Robin has a killer back aerial. Use it, too!
Vs Fox/Sonic:
  • Use Arc Fire more, IMO.
  • There were a lot of unsafe Fox Illusions that you didn't punish on time.
  • Thunder and Elthunder will help a lot more against Sonic, but don't leave yourself open on the ground.
  • I can really tell you were just... out of your mind. Way too manly questionable flubs. I'd say more, but you weren't playing at your fullest.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
@FalconFist

- Your opponents are reading your ledge roll habit.
- Too much Elwind as @ Rashid Rashid said.
- Going for super hard reads with some of your Arcthunders, I'd tone those down.
- Be careful not to end up on a platform above your opponent. This happened unnecessarily and turned out badly.
- Trouble grabbing can be helped with some RCG work.
- ZSS didn't seem to know the matchup that well. He'll probably play better next time so be ready for that.
- Against sonic I find it helps to play a mobile style, using aerials a bit more and understanding his approach options.

Last edited:

Conda

Some Robin action, but some Pit too for good measure. +Commentary and all that jazz. Let me know what you think of the series so far by posting a comment on the video, and share with your friends! I'm on a mission to grow the Smash scene.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for watching.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some For Glory sets I had recently, still trying to learn Robin. I'd be happy to get local matches in a tournament instead of For Glory, but I had to improvise:

vs. :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ao2iL2RY3Q&index=4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4robinf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAf3jtFZCE&index=3&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4myfriends:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00SnTeheao&index=2&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

And I got absolutely demolished in this one: :4samus:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4o1AKmnJ0&index=1&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

Just some sets I'm using for reviews, looking to know how well I'm handling the character now and for advice on how to improve my gameplay and use Robin as a tertiary. Any pointers would be most awesome.

Thanks in advance! And Merry Christmas!

Conda

Been playing a LOT more robin lately. Finding his weaknesses to be pretty crippling if you play him wrong, but when I play him right he seems to work a bit better.
Let me know how I can improve and what I can do better. Note: there's commentary! :)

Robin play is at 9:00

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

These are some tournament matches I had against IsmaR recently. Naturally, I used Robin throughout. I'd appreciate any feedback on how I could improve.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Thanks for the upload @ False Sense False Sense . I really enjoyed your patient play with Robin, which I believe to be your greatest strength as a player. You also seem to have a good grasp on how to use each of the thunder stages. Overall, very solid play. There are a few things I have noticed though.

1) You rely a bit too much on arcfire. While overall you're pretty good at using it as a trap especially when platforms are involved, you also got punished for it quite a bit. Sometimes, it seems you toss out arcfire to stop or force an approach, normally a great tactic. The problem with that here though, is that Samus doesn't have to approach unless 1) you're leading in stocks and/or 2) you have thoron charged up. This means arcfire is a bit riskier to use than normal so be careful with how you use it.

2) Perhaps the biggest thing I noticed about your playstyle is that you seem uncomfortable with Robin's close range ground options. I saw very few tilts, grabs, and jabs. While Robin obviously thrive at the mid-far range game, you do have to come to terms with both the fact that an opponent will eventually penetrate your zone and that sometimes that YOU have to approach such as in the Samus match-up. Being comfortable with Robin's bronze sword and grab with help you deal with pressure better, deal pressure better, and even help you reestablish the zone you want to keep in the first place. Jab 1 (don't autopilot it, be deliberately about hitting the a button just once or twice), in particular, is not a bad tool since it has decent range for a jab, comes out fast enough, sometimes functions as an anti-air, can lead to a kill thanks to the fire tome, and occasionally even lead to a grab mix-up on both shield and hit. Although hardly the best approach, you can use do dash shield drop jab to close the distance.

3) You should have platform camped more, especially in the second match. Not only would it have been easier to charge thunder on the platforms, you also would have dodged some of the missiles.

4) I noticed that Samus was using custom moves in the first match. If that was the case, you might want to consider speed thunder in the future against characters like Samus. It would allow you to use thoron more reliably in order to win the zoning war. Admittedly, however, this is me playing theory fighter since I don't much experience using customs but you may want to play around with this idea if you enter tournaments that allow customs.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
@ False Sense False Sense -

#1. Uair is Robin's second best move after arcfire. It's absolutely devastating, but you landed about 4 of them in the match. You only really used them defensively. You have nothing to fear while below Samus, her Dair is not even to be respected unless you're over a blast zone, and her best option is mines. During your opponent's vertical recovery it's usually much better to pressure them than charge thunder (you might squeeze in a single charge before approaching, though). Unless Samus can prove to be consistently comfortable grabbing the ledge instead of dropping onto the stage, you should go juggle aggressively with Uair! Samus was floating above you several times, not respecting your best attack, and wasn't punished. 11:58 was particularly mysterious to me as she just tries to barrel down from above you repeatedly. You land two Uairs on her and then when she comes down the third time you whiff, back roll and lose a stock. I guess the mine threw you off, but rather than being in such a hurry to fast fall each Uair, you'd be better off spacing them and going up with the intention of hitting her rather than just covering yourself.

#2. Catch your equipment for free, fast, strong, ranged, shield-stabbing smash attacks. (Worth)

#3. Way too much back roll. It can be surprisingly safe because of Robin's jab, but you're overusing it. Not only does it make it easier for your opponent to read and space against you, but you just limit your gameplay extensively by doing this.

#4. Since you have to approach, cross up some aerials on her (Uair is an option here), and mix in Nosferatu if you get a stock lead.

You seem to sometimes be overly defensive-minded. While Robin is fundamentally a defensive character, to play her well you have to challenge your opponent's offensive advantages with your own often inferior options in order to represent the full range of threats they have to respect when asserting their advantages. Samus isn't exactly what comes to mind here, as Robin's non-projectile defense isn't tested much, but the same concept can be applied to Uair (in the circumstance where Samus is above Robin), except that it's actually a dominant option that Samus has no business challenging with anything other than a read (even then it's almost always going to be safe).

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some For Glory sets I had recently, still trying to learn Robin. I'd be happy to get local matches in a tournament instead of For Glory, but I had to improvise:

vs. :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ao2iL2RY3Q&index=4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4robinf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAf3jtFZCE&index=3&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4myfriends:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00SnTeheao&index=2&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

And I got absolutely demolished in this one: :4samus:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4o1AKmnJ0&index=1&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

Just some sets I'm using for reviews, looking to know how well I'm handling the character now and for advice on how to improve my gameplay and use Robin as a tertiary. Any pointers would be most awesome.

Thanks in advance! And Merry Christmas!
Yo can I still get a little help here? Posted this since Christmas and still didn't get a lot of feedback here. My mom's confiscated my game so I'm unable to play and practice (and I'm a little bored too :glare:), so I figured I'd try to make it worth the wait by getting as much advice as I can until I get it back. Also a tournament coming this Saturday, so any help before then should be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Conda

SO MUCH Robin play on my channel lately! These vids have commentary and all that jazz. Hope you enjoy! New videos uploaded daily, and Robin is definitely one of the more popular ones there.

Phew! Post a comment and let me know what you guys think of the quality and commentary.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm planning on doing a solid update to this thread sometime soon. Just a very busy time lately, haha.

Conda

I'm planning on doing a solid update to this thread sometime soon. Just a very busy time lately, haha.
No problem, I'll continue sharing the videos I hosted & commentated.

Some more!

SolCalibre

One of UK's Best Sonics, apparently.
NNID
Solcalibur64
Been wanting to show off my Robin so i'm gonna post a couple here now:

[SSB4] E2C Online Tournament Gninja64:4robinm: vs Haitani :4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2qaXskNXQw
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - For Glory Singles #1 vs :4villagerf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FKkDUIZts

I'm surprised my opponent didn't use his down B to mess with my projectiles, he annoyed me 4 matches before this outcome happened (Though I didn't use Robin until this point).

Last edited:

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
How's my Robin? She's one of my secondaries, but I'm trying to learn. Keep in mind I'm not actually that good with her, because when she gets crushed...she gets crushed. But when I'm doing well, this is how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v_EWa-Bz-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1XFprC81Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spr1qaxCSH4
Quite good. Your jabs, grabs and nairs are super solid. Your SH nairs were beautiful in those games. The influence of maining Ike, perhaps? You should use more of them.

You used so much d-air vs Yoshi. It seemed to work out alright but I didn't get it. Maybe you can tell me why. Were you trying to beat his double jump armor or U-air? Did you expect he would go for a cross up or misspace something?

I'll attempt some suggestions for improvement:

- Catch items! I saw you try with dash attack in the Pika match, but really you should be z-catching them. Go to training mode and learn. Afaik anytime you could dash attack you could instead dash, jump and catch it laglessly off the bounce.

- It's a small sample size, but I think you can improve your hit rate with arcthunder. With experience you'll get to know the situations for it.

- Not consistent enough with arcfire and arcthunder followups. When you missed the U-air on MK, u-smash woulda done it and is generally a decent option when you're up close.

- I question the number of f-smashes thrown out in general. It wasn't a ton or anything but, yeah... I just feel like it's going to whiff a lot and you'll get punished. It can be scary for the opponent, but isn't a reliable way to close out the match. Maybe up the dsmashes, I liked them vs Pika. If they're too high for d-smash, B-air is a fantastic kill move.

- SH Fair is an option to wall out the opponent. Might not be as effective against short characters, but is amazing at beating out other aerials and allowing you to space.

- Didn't really get to see you abuse U-air in these matches. Make sure to do that.

- Robin obviously comes under rushdown pressure from a good number of characters. You're putting out a good array of options, but I'd like to see the rolls when approached cut by about 25-50% and some defensive/repositioning jumps replace them.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Thanks for the vids. Overall, a very patient, grounded (literally) Robin and it works. You have a good amount of the basics down and you were cognizant of the different match-ups dictates how you use thunder. So good of you to be aware of that. A couple of things though.

1) Way too many attempts at s hard read, especially in the Mario match with dsmash. The anti-for glory strats were clearly not working but you kept doing them anyways. Even if/when you landed the dsmash, you just ended up staling it, making it harder to ko with it later. Just be patient and react with jab/ftilt (which you never used by the way)/etc.

2) Refine your arcfire punishes and mix-ups. You mainly used it as a wall, which is not bad in it of itself. But your'e not maximizing your punishes. If the opponent block it, that's not the end of the move. Go in and go for a grab, attack, look for the roll, etc.

3) I am honestly very surprised you lost to the Link player. The Link player didn't adjust that much in the middle of the match and to be blunt, it just seems you were relaxing on the defense. Also, you did not force the approach despite having a very long lead, which you could have easily done by camping on the platforms. Just camp on the platform, charge up to thoron, and react to Link's very telegraphed aerials and bombs as tries to approach, which he doesn't like doing.

4) When against Olimar, I find it more helpful and safer to take out the clingy pikmin by using fair and nair (the levin version will work for sure, don't know about the bronze version). Perhaps someone with more Olimar match-up experience can help though.

4) No love for nair? You could have obliterated Mario and Link at like 50%, no joke, by going offstage and gimping them with it. It is arguably Robin's most consistent gimping tool so learn how to use it, abuse it, and love it.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Alright, I have a ridiculous amount of Robin footage from last week. This is practically every game I played with her, in chronological order. Any comments would be immensely appreciated. She's the character I see used least among my main trio, and thus needs the most feedback. Please just mute the volume if it desycs; we were using the computer for brackets and streaming, and it was doing its best, bless its heart.

vs.:4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoh4ql7UWw - Played a lot of casual matches with this guy earlier in the day. As such, I knew what his gameplan was, but he had no idea what my Robin was going to do. It was a clean sweep, the kind of match I wish every match could be.

vs. :rosalina: and :4link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffVN3S7sm_w&t=7m5s - This guy is definitely my stiffest competition at locals. I had lost the first round, so I was on edge the rest of the set. The third match started horribly, dunno how to avoid that.

vs. :4mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhxbsClzpow&t=50s - That freaking cape is awful and I don't like it in this match at all. My opponent was pretty basic, though, so I feel this was an easy match.

vs. :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInkA5I9mGY&t=35s - The guy from video 2, if you don't remember. I felt more comfortable since I was in winners, so I feel I played more naturally. Proud of the up air usage, it's an amazing kill move for those who have great recoveries.

vs. :4fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInkA5I9mGY&t=7m55s - Same set as above. I've literally never played this matchup, so it was a good experience. Fast characters are my bane as Robin, so I need to learn how to cope better. Especially when that fast character has a reflector.

Thanks for any advice you all can give! I appreciate it all, positive or negative.

Conda

Some matches with commentary from my channel. I gotta slow down and stop making so many videos hahaha (NEVER!)

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Alright, I have a ridiculous amount of Robin footage from last week. This is practically every game I played with her, in chronological order. Any comments would be immensely appreciated. She's the character I see used least among my main trio, and thus needs the most feedback. Please just mute the volume if it desycs; we were using the computer for brackets and streaming, and it was doing its best, bless its heart.

vs.:4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoh4ql7UWw - Played a lot of casual matches with this guy earlier in the day. As such, I knew what his gameplan was, but he had no idea what my Robin was going to do. It was a clean sweep, the kind of match I wish every match could be.

vs. :rosalina: and :4link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffVN3S7sm_w&t=7m5s - This guy is definitely my stiffest competition at locals. I had lost the first round, so I was on edge the rest of the set. The third match started horribly, dunno how to avoid that.

vs. :4mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhxbsClzpow&t=50s - That freaking cape is awful and I don't like it in this match at all. My opponent was pretty basic, though, so I feel this was an easy match.

vs. :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInkA5I9mGY&t=35s - The guy from video 2, if you don't remember. I felt more comfortable since I was in winners, so I feel I played more naturally. Proud of the up air usage, it's an amazing kill move for those who have great recoveries.

vs. :4fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInkA5I9mGY&t=7m55s - Same set as above. I've literally never played this matchup, so it was a good experience. Fast characters are my bane as Robin, so I need to learn how to cope better. Especially when that fast character has a reflector.

Thanks for any advice you all can give! I appreciate it all, positive or negative.
I apologize for not responding in a much more timely fashion. I did see your post on Tuesday asking for feedback but it slipped my mind to do so until now, so again I apologize. I also only watched your matches against ToxicCri since you yourself said that was your stiffest competition.

Anyways, congrats on your tournament win and making our Lady Tactician proud. I am surprised that you say Robin is the one you use least of your trio. If your grand final matches were an accurate indication of how you play with each character I, to be blunt, I would have thought otherwise. You somehow got away with a lot of unsafe smash attacks (it's been a while since I seen so many smash attacks in a match) and as Shulk, you did not utilize both your different modes and his awesome fair enough. Your Robin play, on the other hand, demonstrated a good grasp of the character fundamentals and its pretty clear who carried you throughout the entire tournament and I'm not just saying saying that so you join us more often, which you should by the way. Anyways, moving on to actual specific feedback.

1) You roll. A lot. There were many instances when rolling made you miss a punish opportunity (i.e. 8:47 in the first Rosalina video you posted) or just got you outright killed (ie 13:28 against link in the same video)

2)Tone it down with dair and the dash attacks. Very unsafe attacks that don't net that much of a reward compared to the risk in most cases unless its for a sure punish.

3)You're very ballsy with Elwind. It worked out for you but I honestly do wonder how long until your opponents will catch on punish you severely for it. Unless, of course, you're doing it on reaction which would be pretty pro on your part. I may have to steal this from you, lol. Thanks in advance.

4) Don't land with your aerials, which you did a lot in the first Rosalina video. Super laggy and you're asking to be punished.

5) Against Link and heavy projectile characters in general, Arcthunder isn't as useful as the other thunder spells. It will clash with their projectiles and detonate nowhere them. I find Elthunder at first good first since its fast, its a good get off me move in the close to midrange game, and its a decent punish tool especially on tech chases. And naturally when you're able, charge up to thoron to auto-win the zoning war which you did.

6) I suggest incorporating more jabs and tilts into your games. These attacks will help in the CQC game, which will eventually happen in certain match-ups like the Fox one.

7) When your opponent is charging a smash attack near the ledge like in 10:12 against Fox, a better punish than a get up attack, is to drop from the ledge, jump, and levin uair.

I hope this helps and thanks for sharing your videos with us.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
@ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal , this is somewhat funny timing. This response was posted after the tournament we had this week, so I have videos from it as well (plan to bring videos every Sunday/Monday ish). I'm going to post the videos first, then respond to your advice.

vs. :4kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi51symOfeU&t=5m5s - Apologies for the bad dual audio. This was the first time we had streamed, so sometechnical difficulties came up early on. As for the match, this was literally my best round the entire tournament. I don't know if this really has a lot to critique, but I guess I'm just posting it so we all know what every Robin match can be in 20xx.

vs. :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOnCkZyCK6Y&t=5m - On the flip side, this felt like my worst match. I tried to be aggressive against the Diddy, and I don't think it was the best idea. Critique on this matchup would be much appreciated. I feel like just need to do this match more (first Diddy player, don't play online that much).

vs .:rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwmOqjWkZc&t=6m40s - Back to Rosie. It's always Rosie in GF, aiya. I feel I played this one very well. Yes, taunts are bad, but we play each other so often that I can't help it.

So, in response to the above post.

Anyways, congrats on your tournament win and making our Lady Tactician proud. I am surprised that you say Robin is the one you use least of your trio. If your grand final matches were an accurate indication of how you play with each character I, to be blunt, I would have thought otherwise. You somehow got away with a lot of unsafe smash attacks (it's been a while since I seen so many smash attacks in a match) and as Shulk, you did not utilize both your different modes and his awesome fair enough. Your Robin play, on the other hand, demonstrated a good grasp of the character fundamentals and its pretty clear who carried you throughout the entire tournament and I'm not just saying saying that so you join us more often, which you should by the way. Anyways, moving on to actual specific feedback.

I appreciate it! I do think the more I play that Robin is the primary character I plan to employ. I've posted matchups with those other characters in their respective subforum's video threads, if you're curious to see more (or just watch all of the matches I post, I usually change characters between matches.) She's been super fun, and I feel that folks don't know what to do in the match.

1) You roll. A lot. There were many instances when rolling made you miss a punish opportunity (i.e. 8:47 in the first Rosalina video you posted) or just got you outright killed (ie 13:28 against link in the same video)
That's definitely true. I tried to tone down the movement shenanigans in my matches (except Diddy, but I was just a fish out of water there). I'll make a concious effort to not roll for everything.

2)Tone it down with dair and the dash attacks. Very unsafe attacks that don't net that much of a reward compared to the risk in most cases unless its for a sure punish.
Yeah, lots of grab punishes. Been using dash attacks way less. Dair is more of a surprise option, and I try to only use it when my opponent goes for a meaty.

3)You're very ballsy with Elwind. It worked out for you but I honestly do wonder how long until your opponents will catch on punish you severely for it. Unless, of course, you're doing it on reaction which would be pretty pro on your part. I may have to steal this from you, lol. Thanks in advance.

Well, Toxxicri almost always goes deep on the up throws, and he just doesn't seem to learn. It has good knockback to put the game back into neutral. I like the option, as Robin is really the only one with a downward projectile in the game.

4) Don't land with your aerials, which you did a lot in the first Rosalina video. Super laggy and you're asking to be punished.

I can agree with this, I only went for aerials which my opponent would have to dodge so that we would both end up with some landing lag.

5) Against Link and heavy projectile characters in general, Arcthunder isn't as useful as the other thunder spells. It will clash with their projectiles and detonate nowhere them. I find Elthunder at first good first since its fast, its a good get off me move in the close to midrange game, and its a decent punish tool especially on tech chases. And naturally when you're able, charge up to thoron to auto-win the zoning war which you did.

Such an unfun match. I think getting Link off the ground is the most important part, and Thoron is a great tool for that. I'll start picking T&C or Delfino as counterpicks for the match.

6) I suggest incorporating more jabs and tilts into your games. These attacks will help in the CQC game, which will eventually happen in certain match-ups like the Fox one.

I think I did this in the match Saturday. You can tell me if it seems so, but ftilt saw a lot more love.

7) When your opponent is charging a smash attack near the ledge like in 10:12 against Fox, a better punish than a get up attack, is to drop from the ledge, jump, and levin uair.

Good idea, I believe I used it against Rosie in the match above. Electric death rainbow is a great move. Best uair in the game, imo.

Anyways, to end the post, I appreciate feedback from any player. Always looking to improve!

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Love it, that combo on Fox in the middle was beautiful. I don't care if the third arcfire was a read, it was awesome!

Uploaded by NAKAT. Trela and Nairo teach Robin.
I'll save this for a 4 hour shift down the road. Much appreciated!

Whoa-ho, moonspeak. That was unexpected. I'll give this my best shot, since everyone else seems to have vanished.

Duck Hunt:

1)Did you do neutral wakeup every time you got up? It seemed super prevalent; try to mix up your tactics when getting up from the ledge.

2) Respect Duck Hunt, because his projectiles have you beat. As was mentioned to me, Thoron wins the zoning war. If you can get him out of neutral, you're golden. You do this later on, which is solid.

3) Great up air when you were coming off the ledge. Duck Hunt's recovery is very simple, and you punished it well.

4) Nosferatu, while hilariously stylish, is best used when the opponent is in the red (80%+). A SHFF(no more L) fair would have been a better punish, but I can see the Nosferatu option being preferred if you imagine your opponent will have enough time to shield.

5) Look at that, game two. You got him out of neutral, and he was put off horribly by it. Solid, really solid.

6) GREAT spot dodge near the edge. You took advantage of the fact he was grabbing often, and nailed a nice punish.

7) Good bair for the second stock. Again, predictable recovery = punish.

I liked it. The short hop arcfire in was ballsy, but you noticed he wasn't really taking time to see how you reacted to your moves, so he was too caught up in his own flow.

Man, that second video has a lot of matches. I don't know if I'm giving good critique, so I'll stop here. I like how ya did! Hope to see more videos, maybe with a bit mroe frequency and less length.

---

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much more posting since I was last here. I'm encouraged to join, then no one posts? It hurts, guys. </3

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ SuperDavio SuperDavio , that's not my Robin (or Duck Hunt or Shulk); I barely even know bow to use Robin. They're just matches from terminalkai's channel.

Top Bottom