• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that the Gematsu characters aren't guaranteed, which newcomers do you think are the most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
@Mishudo Well that seems like an idea, alright, I'll make one of those

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I suppose I believe Ridley, Mewtwo, Ghirahim, Dark Pit, and Black Shadow to be the most likely candidates.
Disagree on both Ghirahim and Dark Pit. I think Lucina proves Dark Pit is just a skin and Ghirahim I think is being overrated. What about K. Rool with all the Kremlings in Smash Run (and potentially more we've heard about but haven't seen)? :p

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Shulk: Very likely, would be shocked if he wasn't in
Bandana Waddle Dee: not very likely, not a big character by any means
Dark Pit: No Idea, I'd rather have Magnus (yes I know he is an assist trophy)
Ghirahim: On the fence, I see Tetra as more of a new Zelda Rep.
Ridley: 60%, the Boss stage thing was weird. Years of teasing.
Mewtwo: Very likely! Pokemon Origins, new movie, fan favorite, but... I don't know how I see pokemon having more reps than Mario, unless it got Bowser Jr. or Captain Toad. But I see Toad as more of a DLC possibility, if DLC is happening.

Please oh please oh please don't be angry with me.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hmm... I'd say Ridley seems pretty likely at this point. Aside from that, Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Shulk all seem to have good chances. A Rhythm Heaven representative also seems somewhat probable.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
1. Dixie Kong: Sakurai wants to add more females (heck he's pretty much added every significantly notable female except Dixie) and he planned to add Dixie back in Brawl as a tandem with Diddy. Kremlings in Smash Bros are a huge point in Dixie's (and K. Rool's) favor as it means we know Sakurai is looking deep into Donkey Kong Country for Smash content.

2. King K. Rool: As Wariofan1 said, a heavyweight newcomer is noticeably absent. I don't think being a villain or being from DK hurt K. Rool's chances that much when he is except for Ridley by far the best and most obvious choices for a heavyweight newcomer. Kremling point applies for Rool as well.

3. Shulk: Following in the same steps as Ness and Marth before him, the latter in particular due to Japanese popularity. The Monado tweet tells me that Sakurai likes the series which greatly increase Shulk's chances for inclusion. The circumstantial evidence with the Monolith Soft tweets and comments from Shulk's voice actor tells me he's playable.

4. Ridley: As with K Rool huge potential for a heavyweight fighter. Sakurai and Nintendo tip-toeing around the Ridley shadow is also suspicious given the rather blunt and direct de-confirmations of Waluigi and Chrom is also supsicous though I still consider it a noticeable point against Ridley. Loses points for indifference from Japanese fans as well.

Others:

Mewtwo: Not a newcomer but I consider him very likely as Pokémon has already had six reps last gen and I can't see Pokémon losing Squirtle and Ivysaur and being given only Greninja in return. Was also planned for Brawl as well.

RH rep: Will definitely be getting a stage and some other content. I don't think the Sneaky Spirit guarantees a rep however.

Sami: Don't see Sami as likely but I'm glad others posted about her being given Snake's old moveset as I like the idea.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
  1. Ridley: Cause Ridley.
  2. Rhythm Heave Rep: Has an enemy in the game.
  3. Shulk: Has no mention or reference to Xenoblade in the game, however is very popular.
  4. Bandana Dee: Kirby's 4th Rep. Bandana Dee has a huge role in Kirby's 2015 game.
  5. MewTwo: Cause MewTwo.
  6. Sceptile: To even out the Pokemon starters list.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Not sure about other series, but I think that FE now has 4 reps, there is no valid argument against Kirby having 4 reps.
Because of this I think Bandana Dee is one of the most likely newcomers out of the bunch now, and is a bit of a dark horse candidate, like Robin or Rosalina were.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Not sure about other series, but I think that FE now has 4 reps, there is no valid argument against Kirby having 4 reps.
Because of this I think Bandana Dee is one of the most likely newcomers out of the bunch now, and is a bit of a dark horse candidate, like Robin or Rosalina were.
Is it me or didn't Rosalina have tons of followers before her announcement? I swear she was one of the top 15 most wanted characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, Bandana Dee has an excellent argument against him. He's not nearly as iconic as DK's next-two most popular newcomers. The thing against Bandana Dee is there's far too many other, more iconic characters that could get in over him from different franchises.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Yeah, Bandana Dee has an excellent argument against him. He's not nearly as iconic as DK's next-two most popular newcomers. The thing against Bandana Dee is there's far too many other, more iconic characters that could get in over him from different franchises.
Wii Fit Trainer is in the game. ROB is in the game. Fudging Chorus Men have a huge chance to be in the game.

Popular =/= Guaranteed.

We all know that from Chrom.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wii Fit Trainer is in the game. ROB is in the game. Fudging Chorus Men have a huge chance to be in the game.

Popular =/= Guaranteed.

We all know that from Chrom.
Actually, ROB isn't in the game yet. And Chrom being popular is because Sakurai had a better choice than him. K. Rool and Dixie Kong both would be very unique and original characters. Its not just about popularity, its about how iconic they are to the franchise, how big the franchise is, and what they can bring to the table. Yes, Bandana Dee would be unique and bring something new as a spear user (which Chrom really wouldn't), but there's still around 7 other characters who'd be better picks than Bandana Dee at least.

Fire Emblem was practically guaranteed to get a third character. I don't know why people assume just because Kirby is Sakurai's franchise it will get four characters, especially when considering how iconic Bandana Dee is to characters from other franchises who could also bring something new to the table. Its not hard to figure out.

EDIT: The other problem with the argument is that from Fire Emblem, it was Robin vs. Chrom. They couldn't justify adding more than one original character from Fire Emblem, and Robin was the more original character. In this case, though, Bandana Dee is an original character going up against more iconic, popular, and still original characters from established franchises, or going up against new franchises which have just as much right to be added who would also be more original.

Even if the argument is "Dixie Kong would be a clone of Diddy Kong" (not true, she wouldn't fit as a clone), she's still both more iconic and would be easier to make than Bandana Dee.

Robin was still almost as popular as Chrom anyway, and both were just as important to Awakening. Same with Greninja. Bandana Dee isn't as iconic to Kirby as Dixie and K. Rool are to DK, DK is either the 5th or 6th best selling Nintendo franchise (pretty sure its fifth, with Kirby right behind, but I don't know for sure), and as it is about on-par with Kirby, the question comes down to of the characters featured, who is more iconic?

K. Rool and Dixie Kong have appeared in far more DK games and in far more prominent roles, always being the main villain and a main playable character, respectively, until DKCR. Bandana Dee is a side character sometimes made playable in a few games.

The originality argument gets thrown out the window, since they'd all be original and bring something new to Smash Bros. (who else can attest to being able to fight almost entirely just with her hair? Other than Bayoneta, but Dixie did it long before. :p).

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Such little love for Lip :crying:
I'd say Shulk, Isaac, Krystal and K.Rool are likely along with a very unlikely Lip and some rhythm character (I like the idea of Rhythm Girl cause she can represent so much more of those games than other characters can).

The Mii swordfighter can do anything Takamaru would do and I still see Ridley as being too... vicious and clunky and out of place for a playable character. While I like Bandana Dee I think he was just thrown in as a 4th playable character in the Kirby games and don't think he has much of a chance plus all the Kirby reps have very unique playstyles so other badly represented series should get some attention as well. (lookin at you StarFox)

And while I do think there should be even more female characters in Smash and I do hate the sight of K.Rool (the eye thing kinda unnerves me) the only thing Dixie has going for her is her hair (unless theres a plethora of skills I haven't stumbled across yet in which case I'd gladly have her in the game instead) Honestly I couldn't care less if DK gets another rep but it'll probably happen so they might as well be unique.
Being popular won't get you all the way in Smash (coughchromcough) Sakurai has to envision a moveset that will work well with the character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Such little love for Lip :crying:
I'd say Shulk, Isaac, Krystal and K.Rool are likely along with a very unlikely Lip and some rhythm character (I like the idea of Rhythm Girl cause she can represent so much more of those games than other characters can).

The Mii swordfighter can do anything Takamaru would do and I still see Ridley as being too... vicious and clunky and out of place for a playable character. While I like Bandana Dee I think he was just thrown in as a 4th playable character in the Kirby games and don't think he has much of a chance plus all the Kirby reps have very unique playstyles so other badly represented series should get some attention as well. (lookin at you StarFox)

And while I do think there should be even more female characters in Smash and I do hate the sight of K.Rool (the eye thing kinda unnerves me) the only thing Dixie has going for her is her hair (unless theres a plethora of skills I haven't stumbled across yet in which case I'd gladly have her in the game instead) Honestly I couldn't care less if DK gets another rep but it'll probably happen so they might as well be unique.
Being popular won't get you all the way in Smash (coughchromcough) Sakurai has to envision a moveset that will work well with the character.
Frankly, I think that due to Mii Fighter and all the sword users so far... Lip is the MOST LIKELY retro rep at this point... unfortunately, I still don't think she's all that likely, and it sucks, I think Lip would bring a lot to Smash Bros. Granted, Mii Fighters appear to draw from other characters, so perhaps its actually a sign that Takamaru is playable instead, with the shurikens based on his moveset? Dunno.

The DK franchise really does need another rep at least. Dixie has a bunch of things she can do with her hair, but K. Rool is the better DK rep for sure. I think both are quite likely, though. Bandana Dee was added as a fourth Kirby character, but K. Rool is the franchise's main antagonist and Dixie is the third-most important hero in the series, having appeared in almost every game (alongside K. Rool) and in every game she's in Dixie is playable, usually as one of the main characters. Adding both would round out the DK roster nicely.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Possible options that I could realistically see:
1) Krystal. I will drop every member of my crew if I get her with an SF Adventures-style, staff combat moveset.
2) Mewtwo returns.
3) Ridley (I say the shadow scene in that trailer was Meta-Ridely and done intentionally to throw us off.) If memory serves correctly, he's the most in-demand addition, so I'm calling it now.
4) K.Rool or Dixie could be added as a third DK slot, though I PERSONALLY am fine with only DK and DIddy.
5) One of the Inklings from Splatoon seems plausible for me for some reason. They'll want to advertise the game...and it worked for Fire Emblem.
6) Ghirahim or Impa. I can see his potential, but there are other (better, twilight-ish princess-y) Zelda characters I'd rather see added first and Hyrule Warriors put Impa back in the spotlight.
7) Midna. Because she is the best and is a badass. I'm going to live in my world of denial and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

I'm sure at one point in time, back when Brawl was in development, I had a full list of characters I'd pick to put up here (I know Pac-Man, Megaman, and the Mii were all on that list,) but the years have taken a toll on me and I've been out of the gaming loop for a while now, so I'm not as well versed as I was back then.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Possible options that I can realistically see:

1) Shulk - Xenoblade Chronicles has beat out most expectations and sold out when it came to Europe and did even better in the US, even spawning a highly anticipated sequel. Many who played it also listed it as one of the best Nintendo games EVER. For him to not have any representation in Smash would be shocking.

2) Krystal - Krystal is one of the few remaining Star Fox characters with a potential unique moveset. Sure, we have a staff user in the form of Palutena, but Krystal's weapon is a magical Bo-Staff. Give her the powers from Starfox Adventures, and we could have what would basically be Smash's equivalent to Soul Calibur's Kilik. (Heck, have her borrow a couple of moves from him while we're at it.) With the upcoming Star Fox WiiU, now would a better time than ever.

3) Takamaru - Sure, we have sword users, but what separates Takamaru from all other that would make his style unique to swordplay is that he's a samurai, and the style of a samurai is DRASTICALLY different from a character like Marth, Link, or Ike. Also, it's obvious Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the IP, as Takamaru was in Samurai Warriors, Nintendo Land, and recently having the original game going overseas for the first time ever.

4) Dixie Kong - I myself, am not that much of a fan of the DK series, but even I can see that Dixie's Smash debut is long overdue. Dixie is the third-most important hero in the series, having appeared in almost every game and in every game she's in Dixie is playable, usually as one of the main characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom