• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that the Gematsu characters aren't guaranteed, which newcomers do you think are the most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Fire Emblem can have four reps, then the DK series can as well. With K. Rool AND Dixie, the representation of the series will be perfect, even if Dixie has to be a Diddy Kong clone.
Dixie wouldn't be a Diddy clone. She doesn't fit being a Diddy clone. Actually, she'd be closer to a clone of Donkey Kong if anything, though I think she'll end up being a cross between the two but she'll still look completely original due to using her hair. The mechanics of her hair being similar to Diddy and DK's moves is probably what would make her only a semiclone, though.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I still expect Shulk, A Rhythm Heaven character (may be the same case as Chrom, where they are just there and not playable), and maybe Mewtwo, but if Mewtwo is playable, I'm hoping for Hawlucha, because he's awesome, and new...
hawluchaforsmash

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I never got why K. Rool is so popular or why people think he's likely. The DKC games are a huge part of my childhood, but K. Rool has been largely abandoned since then and just doesn't seem like he'd be any interesting to play. Dixie seems much more likely, all things considered, and could easily be a unique player with that hair of hers.

Ridley seems likely what with all the teasing and fan demand.

Shulk seems likely as a rep for a new franchise with a lot of demand.

A new Zelda character seems probable, but it's hard to say who I think is likely. Ghirahim would be a terrible choice, since he was just a comically evil one-off villain, but he's recent and has a lot of potential for a moveset. On the other hand, Impa seems like the best choice in my eyes; she's been recurring for a while, and Hyrule Warriors shows some good life for her.

At first glance Bandana Dee seemed like a totally unlikely choice, but I don't know the Kirby series well and everyone seems to think he's likely, so at this point I won't be surprised to see him in. Plus, Sakurai is making the game.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
It seems my picks are in everyone else's list. Great minds think alike I guess.

I see three vets getting cut (Squrtle, Ivysaur and Snake) and Mewtwo not coming back (sorry but I don't see it likely) rounding out the returing vets to 36. Add that to the already announced newcomers and we're at 47. Personally I think we'll get four more newcomers rounding it out to 51 (54 still seems unlikely to me). As for who I think these characters will be:

Shulk: Hard not to sound biased when talking about Shulk. He's my most requested newcoer and has a lot going for him without the leak. Popular in the west and the most requested newcomer in Japan, tons of moveset potential, getting a sequel on the Wii U, voice actors hints, mechon trophy in Smash Run. There's a lot going for Shulk right now and I feel like he will get one of the last two reveal trailers.

DK rep: I'm torn on this one. On one hand I really want K Rool in, but besides the Kremlings in Smash Run and popularity worldwide there's not much else going for him, though I would love to see him in. Dixie on the other hand is much more likely. Dixie is female, which Sakurai is pushing big time, recently revived in Tropical Freeze and is also pretty popular. Pretty much right now I expect Dixie but want K Rool.

RH rep: The sneaky spirit in Smash Run is a clear indicator there will be a RH rep. Personally I think either Karate Joe or Marshal. Not much else to say since i'm not familiar with RH.

Ridley: With all of Sakurai's trolling and teasing it would feel anti-climatic for it to end with Ridley being a stage hazard. To be honest i'm not the biggest Ridley fan and i'm indifferent about him being in Smash, but there's way too much evidence in his favor.

And that's who I think will get in. Sorry Ghirahim, Takamaru and Bandana Dee fans but I don't think they're likely. But maybe Sakurai will surprise us and have 54 characters and they'll all be in there.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pac-Man is the retro third party character. :troll:
How are we even sure that Pacster will be a permanent mainstay in the series like other third parties then? After all, Snake's chances are returning are getting lower as proof of it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
-GHIRAHIM: Is not really necessary since he's a one shot villain. Wouldn't it be like adding Skull Kid?
Well, keep in mind that Sakurai has been going for modern, 'flavor of the month' characters such as Rosalina and Greninja when it comes to repping veteran franchises. Both Rosalina and Greninja might be considered 'one-shot' - but here they are, taking priority over more classic character choices such as Toad or Mewtwo. For these reasons, I think that Ghirahim has a fairly high chance.

Also: A lot of you guys are really making me think that Bandanna Dee has a chance! I now have hope!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well, keep in mind that Sakurai has been going for modern, 'flavor of the month' characters such as Rosalina and Greninja when it comes to repping veteran franchises. Both Rosalina and Greninja might be considered 'one-shot' - but here they are, taking priority over more classic character choices such as Toad or Mewtwo. For these reasons, I think that Ghirahim has a fairly high chance.

Also: A lot of you guys are really making me think that Bandanna Dee has a chance! I now have hope!
I don't consider Rosalina a one shot at all. She's been in the two galaxy games, super Mario 3d world, the latest Mario kart games and probably some of the Mario spinoffs. (Wasn't she dlc in golf?)

As for Greninja, well Greninja is pokemon and they're always going to return in future generations. Greninja isn't just going to vanish once 7th gen rolls around.

There's every chance Ghirahim will get his time in the sun for Hyrule Warriors and then disappear without a trace.

I can't wrap my head around Bandana Dee, it sounds even worse than playable Miis and that's quite a feat.

Last edited:

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I can't wrap my head around Bandana Dee, it sounds even worse than playable Miis and that's quite a feat.
How is a character who would have unique moveset and who is recurring in their own franchise (Bandana Dee has appeared in seven Kirby games, including remakes, four games consecutively - which is notable since the Kirby franchise has a habit of abandoning characters and/or reducing them to cameo roles) worst than Miis?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
How is a character who would have unique moveset and who is recurring in their own franchise (Bandana Dee has appeared in seven Kirby games, including remakes, four games consecutively - which is notable since the Kirby franchise has a habit of abandoning characters and/or reducing them to cameo roles) worst than Miis?
Mii Fighters have a unique moveset (three in fact) and are recurring in their own franchise. (Multiple franchises actually) So I don't know what you're getting at there.

I've played Kirby games in the past (none recently) so I know Waddle Dees are like the goombas of Kirby land. I just don't like the idea of a spruced up common enemy......just why? It honestly confuses me, doesn't the Kirby series have anyone more interesting left?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Takamaru: A samurai with a unique moveset and a really awesome retro character.
Shulk: Plain badass, new franchise.
A RH Rep: A music-based fighter would be crazy awesome and what better than from Nintendo's Music Franchise?
King K. Rool: A third DK character is desperately needed, as FE is way overepped and DK is overall more important. A new villain.
Captain Toad: Another great Mario character.
Bandana Dee: If FE can get 4, Kirby sure as hell needs it.
Dixie: If not K. Rool, her.

These are who I found most likely in order from most likely-least likely.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong.
With Lucina showing up, recent games getting more attention, and her being an easy semi clone to bolster the roster, whilst being a very popular character(and a girl to boot; which I'm sorry HAS been a thing this time round); I'll be flabbergasted if they miss out on this particular heroine.

Creeping feeling Captain Toad isn't quite deconfirmed yet and probably the strongest contender for DLC should it happen outside maybe Mewtwo and possibly Inklings. Possibly.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Mii Fighters have a unique moveset (three in fact) and are recurring in their own franchise. (Multiple franchises actually) So I don't know what you're getting at there.

I've played Kirby games in the past (none recently) so I know Waddle Dees are like the goombas of Kirby land. I just don't like the idea of a spruced up common enemy......just why? It honestly confuses me, doesn't the Kirby series have anyone more interesting left?
What I'm getting at is that you said that Ghirahim wouldn't be a good choice for a Zelda rep since he's an one-shot villain and you list examples of newcomers who have staying power in their respective franchise - like Bandana Dee. He's a Waddle Dee but he's his own separate character. With Bandana Dee getting a role in Triple Deluxe over Meta Knight shows that HAL Lab views him as much more than a common enemy.

Another possible Kirby rep is Magolor. It's fine if you don't like the idea of Bandana Dee but to say that a character with a unique moveset is worst than Mii is just...?

Niala

Smash Ace
Things that seem pretty likely to me:

Shulk
Mewtwo
Chorus Men/Something else from that series of games I don't know

Things that seem plausible to me but not likely:

Zelda Newcomer (hoping for Ghirahim)
DK rep (probably another Kong, namely, Dixie) (putting King K.Rool here just 'cause)
Isaac
Dark Pit ('cause Lucina)

Things that seem VERY unlikely, but might still appear through some miracle:

Pretty much every other character with a support thread?

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I believe Shulk has a good chance, mostly because of the tweet from the voice actor and Sakurai himself seemingly liking the game. Also, not technically a newcomer, but I do hope for Mewtwo's return.

A Rhythm Heaven character is possible because of Smash Run, but I don't really expect Chorus Men. I'm also expecting another Zelda representative, but I don't have much idea who (possibly Ghirahim but I'd prefer Impa or Vaati).

Takamaru would be awesome, but I just don't have much hope.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm praying to the Smash Gods (Sakurai? Master Hand? idk) that Shulk's gonna make the cut.

I'm surprised so many people think Dark Pit has a chance based of Lucina's reasoning. Fair enough I guess, since Sakurai stated Lucina did have *some* differences from Marth so she's a separate character. I don't think Dark Pit has those differences (flight ability aside), but then again, I'm sure he was teased for a reason...

I'd like Takamaru to show. He's been getting a lot of love lately with Murasame Castle getting released outside of Japan, + Nintendo Land.

Ghirahim is a bit more wish-list, I don't expect it but I'll be pretty happy.

And after the Gematsu thing with Chorus Men... I actually think I'd like some wacky Rhythm Paradise character. There's a lot of creativity to be had there.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well first off, Gematsu isn't dead. It got one thing wrong. I mean it got it WAY wrong, but it's the first thing. It still got everything else right so far, and the fact that there are the Sneaky Spirits and retweeting from Monolith Soft should mean something. So I still think it will be correct.

However, with Lucina joining, it pretty much means other characters will be getting in. I have a feeling we'll get a few clones, and then Mewtwo and/or Lucas. I don't think Snake is back, but a man can dream.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A heavy weight is necessary, without that the newcomer pool will be lacking not only on the all-star front, but also on the gameplay front. Ridley and K. Rool are the obvious candidates for this, and they also add another villain to the roster, so either of those are that much more likely now to the point where I'm fully expecting at least one of them.

Potential clones/semi-clones are also much more likely now in the form of Dixie Kong, Dark Pit and maybe even Bowser Jr.

Mind you I'm expecting both Shulk and a RH rep to be in anyways, I'm just thinking about additional roster additions since Lucina pretty much killed the 48 characters theory.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I still see a RH rep as very likely thanks to the Sneaky Spirit's presence in the demo.

Shulk I also feel has a good chance thanks to Xenoblade's high-profile nature.

I don't expect K. Rool or Ridley to be playable.

Well first off, Gematsu isn't dead. It got one thing wrong. I mean it got it WAY wrong, but it's the first thing. It still got everything else right so far, and the fact that there are the Sneaky Spirits and retweeting from Monolith Soft should mean something. So I still think it will be correct.
Gematsu's information about newcomers has proven to be wildly unreliable. The leak is dead. Any evidence for Shulk or RH comes from other sources now, as you yourself say. Gematsu's leak now holds absolutely zero power as a way to determine who the remaining newcomers will be. We can't put any faith in a "leak" which gets newcomers completely wrong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which characters do I think are the most likely?

Shulk, a RH character, Mewtwo, and characters that would make for easy clones.

Gematsu is outdated, that doesn't mean Sakurai added plans for a bunch of new original fighters since after that info leaked.

Also :laugh: at Bandana Dee considered among the most likely.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Also :laugh: at Bandana Dee considered among the most likely.
That's the problem with Kirby fanboys. They automatically think that Kirby will get a fourth rep in the main roster because of "muh bias" and complaining about Kid Icarus getting a second rep being less deserving than Kirby. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's the problem with Kirby fanboys. They automatically think that Kirby will get a fourth rep in the main roster because of "muh bias" and complaining about Kid Icarus getting a second rep being less deserving than Kirby. :troll:
They complain about a series getting a second character when they already have three? :facepalm:

But yeah, after Kirbs, Dedede, and MK, there is a long drop-off before the next notable character in the series, who granted is Bandana Dee, but Kirby isn't FE or Pokemon, there isn't going to be a character added for the sake of adding a character. Kirby has its primary cast who is already represented. And it's not Mario, it's not going to start reaching into its b-tier. Maybe if Bandana Dee could make for a semi-clone or something, but it doesn't seem like he could, no character has something similar to how he'd play.

So yeah, he's an outside shot if anything. Especially since he's really not as popular in general as he is here.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool / Dixie: After seeing Fire Emblem get two newcomers, one incredibly unique, and one who is somewhat of a clone; I think DK deserves 4 reps this time around if Fire Emblem does. K. Rool could easily be the unique one and Dixie be the clone-ish one. However if we were only limited to one, it'd be K. Rool.

Ridley: Ridley doesn't need much said for him, it would be incredibly unprofessional of Nintendo and Sakurai to tease Ridley this long with no payoff in the end. Plus with all the other evidence, to me Ridley is all but confirmed at this point.

Ghirahim: I could definitely see Ghirahim making it in if there is a new Zelda rep (which is 50/50 to me) and all other rep choices are pretty much deconfirmed.

Retro Rep: Duck Hunt Dog, Takamaru, Excitebiker, etc. I feel like we haven't gotten our proper retro character just yet and it's bound to happen eventually.

RH rep: Sneaky Spirits, that is all.

Shulk: He's always been likely. But especially with a supposed Mechon trophy in the demo, the Monolith fakeout, and a new Xenoblade to promote, Shulk is probably one of the most likely characters in my eyes.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
If anything, after Robin's reveal, I think some of the characters that are very popular in these forums got an increased chance. Like K. Rool, Ridley and even things like Bandana Dee (still not so high on my list, but his chances are better now at least).
Im saying this because Robin seems like it wouldn't had happened if people weren't requesting him/her. Sure, Sakurai could have come up with the idea himself, but I find it less likely.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I just need Bandana Dee and I'll be good. I don't care who or who isn't added.

So far I'm in 1/3 with:

• Bandana Dee
  • Robin
  • Sceptile

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ridley, Ghirahim, Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven rep, not necessarily Chorus Kid.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Shulk
RH character, doesn't have to be Chorus Men (although that would be great)
Dixie Kong

Still 50/50 about Ridley and a Zelda newcomer

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think the last newcomer characters are Shulk, Marshal, King K. Rool, and Ridley. Add in the remaining veterans minus Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake and you got a 51 character roster right there.

BiB

Smash Rookie
First of all sorry for my english, it is not even my 2nd language. This will be my first and last comment in Smashboards, I am not used to talk in forums but after seeing how things have changed in two days I will try to explain what I expect for the newcomers. (Also about the vets, because I think Snake will return back. I do not know why all the people say he is not going to make it. Metal Gear appeared in 1987 for Nintendo, thats a good point for him).
I expect 10 newcomers more and 59 characters in total, 27 franchises represented.
Newcomers:
1. Shulk. The retweets of the programmers and also because I still believe in some part Gematsu Leak.
2. Rhythm Heaven rep. Same reason as Shulk.
3. Isaac. He did not appear yet as an AT. For me Isaac is the most important character of the GBA era, as Golden Sun was the best game for GBA (not saying anything about Pokemon) and probably most people agrees.
4. Ridley. Sakurai is trolling us, if he was a boss I think Sakurai had showed him completly. I think he is making fun of us.
5. K. Rool. Kremlins? Not yet a stage? Only 2 reps for DK? Why is Sakurai not showing anything?
6. Ghirahim. Probably the coolest character that could be added. He brings personality and madness. There are big reasons for his inclusion: Skyword on LoZ characters alts, Skyword Stage, Skyword objects. Only one thing missing, him.
7. Retro. For me there are 3 possibilities: Takumaru, Simon Belmont, Mach Rider. I would prefer Simon but I think Takumaru has more chances.
Clones:
1. Sceptile. Greninja Semiclone. We had the 3 Pokemon starter types, why is not going to happen the same again? Nowadays (I hope you understand what I mean) SSB4 have water type attacks (Mario, Greninja), electric (Pikachu, Robin), Fire (Samus, Charizard), and plant (Megaman and Villager). Where is the Pokemon with Plant attacks?
2. Black Shadow. I am sure Ganondorf will get a new moveset, he has more potential. So I think his moves will go to Black Shadow,
3. Dixie. Diddy/DK semiclone. I think she will have DK B aerial (did I say it right?) but with her hair, and the rest of her moveset similar to Diddy.

Bayonetta could be another good choice, but probably she needs more games for Nintendo (as a 3rd rep)

These are my thoughts at the moment.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Ridley, a RH character, and Shulk are my only surefire guesses.

K. Rool, Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Isaac seem likely as well. Isaac and K. Rool especially.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
The only things I'm positive of at this point are Shulk and Marshall. I'm also expecting a heavyweight character and some clones, but I'm pretty sure that niether Ridley nor Dark Pit will be among them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Once again, I'd be perfectly content if Shulk was the only other newcomer. However, in light of recent events, I've been given hope for pretty much everyone, but specifically: Ridley, K. Rool and Ghirahim. Oh, and a Rhythm Heaven character seems like a certainty, whether it's Chorus Men (I like this idea best), Marshall or RH Girl.

Oh and Mewtwo, but he's a vet. Man, if the final trailer had Mewtwo and Ridley, I'd just be so moist it'd never stop.

I dunno, essential vets (Everyone but Snake, Ivy and Squirtle) plus the current cast gives us...

47, plus Shulk, Ridley, RH rep and Mewtwo = perfect to me.

51 (53 including Mii Fighter styles) isn't a bad number. The thing is, we're definitely getting I'd say at least two more newcomers, and three seems like a better solid number for "about at the bottom of the stash". Especially since they've done three in quick succession twice before.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The gameatsu characters...

Dixie stands out, other than them. The less stand out choices to me would be Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, Krystal, Isaac, Takamaru Ghirahim and Bandanna Dee.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley
Shulk
Rhythm Heaven Character
K. Rool
Isaac
Takamaru

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, three more newcomers (Shulk, Ridley and a RH character) would be perfect for me, Mewtwo or no. Please based Sakurai...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom