• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

North American ONLINE Player Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattNF

Smash Lord
We should have everyone do 12 character battles to determine the tiers.

I'm serious.

Tech_EDGE

Smash Cadet
JAMES FRANCO StILL THINKS THAT RANGE OF CHARACTERS HAS AN IMPACT, IT OPENS MORE POSSIBLITIES FOR SOMEONE TO WIN IF THEY CAN USE A LARGE VARIETY OF CHARACTERS

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So I did some recon on this Tech_EDGE/Frames Janco character. Frog apparently foreshadowed his re-appearance on his tier list:

Zack = Frames Janco = Tech_EDGE

I think I remember Zack from back in the day. While he apparently hasn't been playing with the general online ssb64 community, he has been secretly been playing frog for like the last 3 years. Which explains his skills.

Zack/Frames Janco/Tech_EDGE is A Tier indeed.
Zack / Tech Edge / James Franco / about 20 other names has been playing online for years under random tags, just fyi. He never really disappeared, he's just been in hiding. He's also the guy I team with whenever I go "WHO WANTS TO GET PWNED IN TEAMS" in the server chat (which we haven't done in awhile).

Tech_EDGE

Smash Cadet
JAMES FRANCO ACTUALLY DID DISAPPEAR FOR A FEW YEARS, AND STARTeD PLAYING AGAIN AT THE BEGINNING OF 2010

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If Kabal isn't in A he is very top of B at LEAST imo...

I mean not only do i not like samus but i personally find his very accurate and tricky...which is the key to smash64s samus imo

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
mmm i suppose to some degree...but you can be a falcon and be a Uair *****...or a kirby whos mastered Utilt..and thats not tricky xD

by accuracy i simply mean he understands samus hit boxes and hit stun very well, even though it applies to all...i feel it applies more to samus due to her lack of combos and floatyness

The Star King

Smash Hero
Huh? I'm pretty sure we've only played two games, and we went 1-1 before you had to go.

I think I'm somewhere between A and B tier.
I was using my low tier characters >_> Don't you lose to average Foxes?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I actually don't think you should be that low, I was saying that only if one agreed with Surri about what the tier list should be based on should you be that low, in large part because of the character you use. But you're better than nearly every other Samus, and your skill is quite clear to me.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
If it was a tier list of people when only using low tiers I would be higher =p! It would also help if I didn't lag =[. Everyone always leaves and says "lag is too bad."
I've tried everything it's not my fault.

I beat thegreginator with my luigi against his falcon in one match the other night. Probably due to lag though lol. He ***** my fox.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Honestly in cases where there's debate where people should be ranked, the people in question should just play each other instead of just going off reputation. So I'm just gonna throw this out there, I kinda want to get a lot of p2p games going so people hit me up and we'll play. Had some sweet Falcon dittos with Jaime the other day

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Ok so here are the tallies for the people who actually voted on my A Tier candidate list a few pages back:

Nintendude – 6
Fireblaster – 6
SheerMadness – 6
A$ - 6
ECartman - 5
Hammerheart - 5
Peek - 4
Star King - 4
Firo - 4
Rawr/Marth - 3
PD - 3
Near - 2
Kabal - 2
thegreginator - 2
MATTS - 1
MattNF - 1
Korobeniki - 1
MarioReincarnate - 1
Denken - 1

Pretty much everyone has agreed on the people with 6/5 votes. Peek is interesting because he voted against himself being in A Tier which I didn't include lol.

Still need more votes on this list. I didn't include my votes but If I were to vote (which I will) MATTS and Kabal will get 1 because they give me as hard a match as anyone on that list.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I dunno I didn't include people who just took someone else's votes and stated whether or not they were better (like Peek's).

But show me your 4 votes. Maybe I just missed one.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
PD is rusty like me, dont lie mang :p

I would be fine with all people getting 4+ votes for A tier ...being the A tier

Tallying the votes is the best idea imo ...even though i personally feel thats counter productive for my own tier positioning it'll be the most accurate regardless

And Sheer you must remember our Matches... You where always better then me but my pikachu can stand to your yoshi without fear! :p

actually if i am not mistaken the last two encounters we had i think i won most of the pika vs yoshi match-ups :o... but this was a little while ago you are probably much better while i cant seem to break the shackles D:

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Denken is weak...if he is A tier ...that tier list will have at least 20-30 people

he may play smart but "winning" is the criteria for being good :p

I have not lost to him since like...07 xD

P D

Smash Ace
PD is rusty like me, dont lie mang :p
Im on a mini smash hiatus right now due to school, even those quick games we played a while ago i still went pretty even with you and did some good combos and shiz.

since this tier list is about w/l being rusty and not playing for a period of time doesnt effect your tier list position. when i was playing more a few months ago i had a positive w/l against pretty much everyone aside from the obvious people.

just look at MATTS tourney, of the 4 brackets i joined i won 3 of them

EDIT: dont mean to brag just to defend myself haha

I dunno I didn't include people who just took someone else's votes and stated whether or not they were better (like Peek's).

But show me your 4 votes. Maybe I just missed one.
either 5 or 15...

Ecartman
A$
Nintendude
SheerMadness
Fireblaster
Hammerheart
star king
peek
kabal
near
Firo
thegreginator
denken
me
koro/pd/MATTS!

-ish... my feelings won't be hurt in b tier since I sandbag a lot and haven't played that much lately (wedding is tomorrow!), but I think 10 is a wrong number for A tier... 5 or so are def worthy, then it gets muddled the next 10 or so, imo.
his yoshi is pretty darn amazing.

Anyone remember Q! ? he was pretty good..actually...

Old people who if they still played today would be A teir:
Q!
('.')
Xelph
Vex Kazarani (probably spelled that wrong)
Parallax (his ness was amazing.)
Beans
Asylum Smash
Rich (dat yoshi man.)
and some other old people that i miss. :(

ALPHAKIT TEIR:
Alphakit ixi
(******************************)

anyways, i really need to play some of you people, get at me sometime ;)

here's who i think qualifies for A Teir:

PD
Fireblaster
Zen Yore (miss playing with him. great guy. )
Sheermadness
Nintendude
Denken
Kabal
My list for A tier (not in any order)

A$
ECartman
Nintendude
SheerMadness
Fireblaster (haven't played him a long time, so not sure if he should be here)
Rawr/Marth
Hammerheart
Peek ( same as with fire)
PD
A$
Nintendude
SheerMadness
Fireblaster
Firo
Rawr/Marth
Hammerheart (I hear very good things about Hammer <3)
ECartman
Star King
MATTS (Stop the hating, matts is good)
Kabal
Peek
PD
MattNF (Not too sure, I hear really good things about Matt though now)
Near (Not too sure either, but I always thought Near was pretty good)

Who I think is definitely A Tier.
I still vote Sheer for S Tier :3

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Exactly, people are placing you as A tier while me bottom of B tier

Even when you where not rusty you didn't dominate me in smash64 lol...

Maybe it's not your position thats wrong...

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would vote on your list, but I'm on the fence about like half of that list (including on myself lololol)

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
The thing about the A list is, its all really close. With the exception of Sheer I've gone even with/beaten regularly/ and or have been beaten by a lot of the people on that list. When me and nintendude played more regularly for example, we used to 4 stock eachother back and forth. As opposed to people like fire and denk and cart where its always a squeak by win for either of us.

I still think sheer is top of A, I absolutely have the most trouble playing him. Not just losing but predicting and getting around his style and abilities.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Still think we should do 12 character battles to see who's actually better, not who people think is better.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
How would 12 character battles prove anything? So what if some guy's 8th - 12th best characters can beat my 8-12 if NONE of his characters can beat my top 2?

Twelve characters battle would be useless and prove nothing for this tier list.

If you actually wanna see who's better go play someone's best characters with your own and prove to them you're better.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Oh maybe I should play again and get right below Jaime.
if not, u should play me and Leo on console, just saying :p

Also, Darth, I really wanna see a console tier list. You should make a thread for it :)
I'm excited now for the CONSOLE Player Tier List
Darth you should start up this console list. I think it will be a lot more telling since there are less variables that affect skill. Plus there's people like you who have played a lot of people and can judge easier.
Not enough info to make a console list. It would pretty purely be Darth's opinion if he made one.
Also Darth should make a console list with me on top.
due to popular demand, i will make a CONSOLE tier list. however, as sheer has mentioned, it will only be my opinion of peoples skills against me.

MattNF

Smash Lord
How would 12 character battles prove anything? So what if some guy's 8th - 12th best characters can beat my 8-12 if NONE of his characters can beat my top 2?

Twelve characters battle would be useless and prove nothing for this tier list.

If you actually wanna see who's better go play someone's best characters with your own and prove to them you're better.
You're just mad cause you only use 1 character :(

But seriously, 12CB test how good you are with all the characters, which I think matters more in ssb than in the other Smash games. I have more respect for a player if they can **** with everyone as opposed to only like 2-3 characters.

12CB also lessens the impact of stages and counterpicks so getting counterpicked on Hyrule against a Kirby while using Falcon isn't as game changing.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You're just mad cause you only use 1 character :(

But seriously, 12CB test how good you are with all the characters, which I think matters more in ssb than in the other Smash games. I have more respect for a player if they can **** with everyone as opposed to only like 2-3 characters.

12CB also lessens the impact of stages and counterpicks so getting counterpicked on Hyrule against a Kirby while using Falcon isn't as game changing.

I gotta disagree. If you can win, you can win; I think what we quantify as skill here isn't the ability to be flashy or whatever, but rather to win tournaments and matches. If you can do that with one character or twelve, it doesn't matter.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I dont agree with this mindset to only play and get good with one character.

Putting that aside, if I had to choose one character to do this with, it would 100% be yoshi.

Sheer also plays fox btw. Its kinda spammy, but decent nonetheless.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
My fox can hang with almost anyone online. And some of my other chars can hang with most people too, I just don't enjoy using anyone aside from Yoshi and Fox. Therefor I've really only used Yoshi/Fox for the past 4 years.

But like I said, so what if someone's 8th -12th best characters can beat characters I literally never use. How does that prove anything? It just proves they're willing to spend time on different characters while I'm not. That's it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I dont agree with this mindset to only play and get good with one character.

Putting that aside, if I had to choose one character to do this with, it would 100% be yoshi.

Sheer also plays fox btw. Its kinda spammy, but decent nonetheless.
Don't be obtuse; the point of this list isn't to create a fun way to play, and I didn't say that playing with one character was the ideal mindset, I merely said that "skill" was how well you could do in theoretical tournaments, not how many characters you could play.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Sheer's fox was really good when I played him. Very good prediction, tech skill and pressure.

I couldn't do anything at all, but I partially blame online for that lol. Still could tell the skill there.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Sheer's fox was really good when I played him. Very good prediction, tech skill and pressure.

I couldn't do anything at all, but I partially blame online for that lol. Still could tell the skill there.
ive played sheers fox before. its really good. its not as flashy as ballin's but slightly better in skill and more aggresive

MattNF

Smash Lord
But like I said, so what if someone's 8th -12th best characters can beat characters I literally never use. How does that prove anything? It just proves they're willing to spend time on different characters while I'm not. That's it.
Anyone can stick with one character and get good with them. That's not hard. ****** people with all 12 characters takes much more skill and dedication. Simple as that.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Anyone can stick with one character and get good with them. That's not hard. ****** people with all 12 characters takes much more skill and dedication. Simple as that.
You seem to be under the impression that we're arguing about which takes more skill. We're not. We're arguing about who's better.

Look, I see your point, but if some guy could do crazy parry **** with yoshi and awesome original dash pivot combos with Doug, but still lost to me, I'd be better, yes? Even if he had more skill? We can talk about which takes more skill, or which is more legit, at a different time. For the most part, results- actual and theoretical- are what should matter in this thread.

See what I'm saying?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Sounds like MattNF thinks getting "good" with all 12 characters makes you better than someone who is "beastly" with 1-3 characters. I'd take beastly personally, since beastly would almost always beat the good player.

MattNF

Smash Lord
You seem to be under the impression that we're arguing about which takes more skill. We're not. We're arguing about who's better.

Look, I see your point, but if some guy could do crazy parry **** with yoshi and awesome original dash pivot combos with Doug, but still lost to me, I'd be better, yes? Even if he had more skill? We can talk about which takes more skill, or which is more legit, at a different time. For the most part, results- actual and theoretical- are what should matter in this thread.

See what I'm saying?
You'd be better than his best (or whatever character he was using) but overall, taking all characters into consideration, I wouldn't say so.

I get what you mean though, and the way the tier list in this topic works. I'm just saying I disagree with it.

Sounds like MattNF thinks getting "good" with all 12 characters makes you better than someone who is "beastly" with 1-3 characters. I'd take beastly personally, since beastly would almost always beat the good player.
cool now youre putting words into my mouth

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't know how I'm putting words into your mouth when I say "sounds like". If I wanted to put words in your mouth I'd say "MattNF said" or "MattNF thinks".

Why don't you give us your opinion on A Tier people, MattNF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom