• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No one else is bothered by the flood of Mario characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I dont like the flood of kid icarus characters either or fire emblem for that matter.
I honestly think that is the bigger problem. Especially for Kid Icarus.

I'm okay with the Mario additions as long as they are a key part of the Mario Universe. I think Bowser Jr. was a good addition and is a pretty pivotal part to the Mario Franchise. I could do without Rosalina and Dr. Mario though. I am not a huge Toad fan, but I can understand the frustration of him not getting in at this point. Mario is the most iconic franchise, so I understand that it should get a lot of representation. I just don't think it should be at the cost of other franchises losing characters. I personally would rather have Wolf and Lucas than Rosalina, but I could see people wanting it the other way.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I would consider Wario and Yoshi Mario charicters, but not DK. Yoshi appears in all of the Mario games, and Wario is a direct spinoff. DK has had enough franchises, and hasn't chucked barrels at Mario in so long, that he is his own character.

I agree with many here, a Nintendo game can't have enough Mario characters. It's not like Goomba is replacing Link here. They are all important characters in the Mario realm with unique movesets (except Doc, but less resources, etc). I wouldn't have even been mad if they put in Waluigi and Daisy, and I would have loved for Toad to get in. Daisy would have made a better clone option (Peach) than Doc. It would be cool to see Peach played a different way.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I honestly think that is the bigger problem. Especially for Kid Icarus.

I'm okay with the Mario additions as long as they are a key part of the Mario Universe. I think Bowser Jr. was a good addition and is a pretty pivotal part to the Mario Franchise. I could do without Rosalina and Dr. Mario though. I am not a huge Toad fan, but I can understand the frustration of him not getting in at this point. Mario is the most iconic franchise, so I understand that it should get a lot of representation. I just don't think it should be at the cost of other franchises losing characters. I personally would rather have Wolf and Lucas than Rosalina, but I could see people wanting it the other way.
I think mario deserved Jr. and thats it at this point (paper mario is a different franchise so I dont consider him a mario rep).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Never understood why people hate clones. They don't take any content away, and there just extras that you can avoid. Either 52 character roster with 5 clones, or 47 roster without.
Exactly. Never saw what was wrong with an alternate take on an existing moveset that took little to no effort to create.

No one gives Ken this much hate in Street Fighter. He's a classic. But when Sakurai does it, **** that ****.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I still don't get why Wario is counted but not DK? Wario was actually designed by a different team all together as a symbol of their distaste on being forced to use characters that aren't their own (which at the time was Mario), and they then turned Wario into his own franchise. Not a single one of the mainline Mario developing team has ever developed a Wario game.

Warioware couldn't be more further off from Mario. The only thing it has is, well, Wario. Might as well consider DK a Mario franchise if you're going with that.

Hell, Warioware has closer ties with Rhythm Heaven than it does with Mario.
Ken is luigi, Evil Ryu is Dr. Mario.
Evil Ryu actually plays more differently to Ryu than Ken does

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I still don't get why Wario is counted but not DK? Wario was actually designed by a different team all together as a symbol of their distaste on being forced to use characters that aren't their own (which at the time was Mario), and they then turned Wario into his own franchise. Not a single one of the mainline Mario developing team has ever developed a Wario game.

Warioware couldn't be more further off from Mario. The only thing it has is, well, Wario. Might as well consider DK a Mario franchise if you're going with that.

Hell, Warioware has closer ties with Rhythm Heaven than it does with Mario.

Evil Ryu actually plays more differently to Ryu than Ken does
I would argue against that, Evil ryu is a high damaging/combo heavy ryu, ken plays like ken with his step kick karathrow game and his good dp. Also most people didnt like evil ryu's inclusion and thought it was lazy (lets be honest capcom is lazy alot..)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I would argue against that, Evil ryu is a high damaging ryu, ken plays like ken with his step kick karathrow game and his good dp. Also most people didnt like evil ryu's inclusion and thought it was lazy (lets be honest capcom is lazy alot..)
Not saying that Ken isn't different from Ryu playstyle-wise, both of them are. (E.Ryu is a way more aggressive and offensive character than Ryu is, he's not just a high damaging version of him) Just speaking that Ken actually shares more moves with Ryu than Evil Ryu does.

Also E.Ryu is like top tier now so everyone likes him lol

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not saying that Ken isn't different from Ryu playstyle-wise, both of them are. (E.Ryu is a way more aggressive and offensive character than Ryu is, he's not just a high damaging version of him) Just speaking that Ken actually shares more moves with Ryu than Evil Ryu does.

Also E.Ryu is like top tier now so everyone likes him lol
Yeah Im just saying he is more of a clone then Ken due to his traits on his moves. Also yes a ton of people play evil ryu cuz he is top tier now, Ill just stick with Dudley and Hugo thank you :awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Once we get (Captain) Toad in for Mario, I think Mario's pretty much complete. Especially if Waluigi counts as a Wario character and Daisy becomes a Peach alt outfit(and why not really?)

That said; the Mario brand sells. Nintendo currently really needs sales; Mario characters will aid with this.

Pokemon characters are another group I find it hard to oversaturate with, since they too encourage sales. Less known series having the as many characters as Mario currently does would be a problem, but Mario, Pokemon and Zelda can frankly have as many as they want.

(it is a shame about Donkey Kong, Starfox and Metroid though)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Doc had never been cut and we got one Mario newcomer in Brawl and one newcomer this time we'd be at the same end result as now but it'd have happened incrementally and people wouldn't be making such a big deal about it.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
OH NO! How dare the game with the most supporting, and side characters as well as MOST RECOGNIZED franchise get more reps!

HOW DARE THEY ADD NEW MARIO CHARACTERS WITH ORIGINAL MOVESETS WHILE I WANT FALCO BACK.

By this logic we should be getting more pokemon to play as, even if you add in the cut ones.

Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggs, Mew2, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja = 9 Vs the 11 Mario Characters.

So no, personally they could add more Mario characters (Fawful, Geno, Toad, some other bad guy) and I wouldn't care.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If you count DK as a Mario character then you have to count Mr G&W, Little Mac, Link, Villager and ROB too.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
What crossover did Little Mac have with Mario?
The referee from the NES game had a Mario look-a-like. Was it ever confirmed to actually be Mario? I've never been quite sure.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DK and Wario originated in a Mario game, but that's about it. They're both independent from the Mario series, though.

Yoshi is pretty much a Mario character through and through.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I really wouldn't consider Diddy Kong part of the Mario series. Wario and DK are stretching it too. Yoshi is close enough to the Mario series to a point where it's reasonable to consider him a Mario character.

Seven Mario characters isn't that bad when you consider how popular Mario is when compared to the other franchises. There's no doubt that Mario and Pokemon trumph every other series in terms of popularity so those series getting more representation is ok with me, especially since all the mario characters that have been added totally deserve a spot in this game (with the possible exception of dr. Mario). It's not like Sakurai is adding Boo and Goomba to the roster.

In fact, there are still some Mario characters that I want to see in smash brothers. Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi and Birdo would all make cool additions to the roster in the future.

So basically, I don't mind the Mario characters that have been added so far.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I suppose I understand some concern. Though technically Wario and Yoshi are in their own category. It makes some sense to have a series like Mario to have a larger amount of characters. This doesn't bother me too much as said characters are probably all worthwhile in their own right. Each of them offer something no other can in gameplay terms. Mario and Luigi are our Shotos. Bowser is unique, Peach is unique, and so is Rosalina. The only exception to this is Dr. Mario, who was likely a last minute addition to the game like he was in Melee.

That's all I can really ask in characters at this point. And who knows exactly who these "Final Five" really are, if they are in the roster. If there's five more characters after all, this could skew the roster ratio fairly well.

The only characters that seemed to be deconfirmed that I'd miss is Wolf and the Ice Climbers. Though I know some people will miss Lucas too.

Besides, Smash finally has it's Akuma back in the form of Dr. Mario.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Meh. It's Mario. I think that's fine. Pokemon could also get away with this with no problem. Anything else having hella more than everything else I don't think would work... MAYBE Zelda. If only half of Zelda's characters weren't clones.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Never understood why people hate clones. They don't take any content away, and there just extras that you can avoid. Either 52 character roster with 5 clones, or 47 roster without.
It's just there is no need for them to be a clone when they could be their own unique character, that goes for Doc to he doesn't need to copy marios moves he just does.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
When you consider that Brawl was originally going to be released at around the same time as Mario Galaxy 1, that's when you realize that Mario was the most active Nintendo franchise since 2007. Not Pokemon or Zelda, Mario.

I see your Gen 5 and Gen 6 of Pokemon and raise you Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 2 and U, Super Mario 3D Land and World, and three Mario Kart games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If anything FE getting four is more excessive than Mario getting seven.

Seven was as many as Pokemon was supposed to get last time. And Mario's the bigger series. So whatever.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm fine with the number of Mario reps, though I could careless about Dr. Mario and Rosalina. I like Bowser Jr. and am ok with his inclusion but he just doesn't hype me up like Mega Man did and other characters like Ridley and King K. Rool would. But hey it's Mario, Nintendo's Mascot, if this were a sega game there'd likely be more sonic characters representing that version of a fighting game over street fighter and those other series, would you be complaining about that too? I'm a long time Mario fan anyway, that's one of the first franchises that got me into Nintendo in the first place.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I did some comparisons between the sales of all the series in SSB. The Mario series makes up 30% of the sales of all 27 series with playable characters combined. Now, SSB is not purely based on sales, but given that the Mario series is so obscenely popular, it really deserves as many characters as they give it. 7 is only one more than Pokemon had in Brawl. I don't think it's excessive at all.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
If anything FE getting four is more excessive than Mario getting seven.

Seven was as many as Pokemon was supposed to get last time. And Mario's the bigger series. So whatever.
It has an expanding following and despite its close termination, its characters are relate-able (I can't relate to an ape trying to save his banana horde) and you literally have self inserts in some of FE games.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It has an expanding following and despite its close termination, its characters are relate-able (I can't relate to an ape trying to save his banana horde) and you literally have self inserts in some of FE games.
I can't relate to a plumber saving a fictional kingdom from a fire breathing turtle monster either. What does having to relate to characters have to do with anything? Like I said, I'm ok with the slight over representation of mario reps, it's a popular franchise worldwide but so is donkey kong, it's more deserving than ones like FE and KI.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Just because Mario is a huge series doesn't mean we need to have so many Mario characters. This game is supposed to showcase Nintendo as a whole and show that it isn't just Mario/Zelda/Pokemon; they've got tons of unique and interesting IPs. So it's frustrating that we don't have Chibi-Robo, Isaac, Ray, Sami, .... the list goes on, and instead we just have to have two Mario newcomers. Or if Mario needs the attention, why not have Paper Mario? It's really a spin-off series and TTYD was an amazingly refreshing experience. Or smaller series could get more characters...for example, why not throw F-Zero a bone after all this time? So we can focus on Mario Kart instead and help keep F-Zero dormant for another ten years? More characters from the big 3 franchises are just going to make them overshadow smaller series that deserve more attention, and the fact that the game industry is in a state of wanting to give people the same exact thing over and over again is one of the biggest reasons it's probably going to crash within the next decade or so.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Never saw what was wrong with an alternate take on an existing moveset that took little to no effort to create.

No one gives Ken this much hate in Street Fighter. He's a classic. But when Sakurai does it, **** that ****.
I don't like Ken in Street fighter either. Clones are just boring and take away from the originals

There's only 2 new Mario characters and they're both good additions Imo so this whining seems dumb to me. I do wish other big franchises had gotten more people though, mainly another pokemon and something new for zelda would've been nice

And idk how people can be mad about Robin, he looks great and no awakening characters would've been criminal

Last edited:

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Errr...Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise. Of course it's going to get the most characters as its characters are EXTREMELY recognizable to the general gaming community. Mario even lost a rep in Brawl for Pete's sake.

Also the thing that bothers me about the Mario characters this time around is the lack of Toad being playable. It's disturbing especially after him being playable in so many titles as well as the point of him getting his own titular game now...

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Toad has like zero moveset potential what's he going to do, drive a go kart into you

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Um...I'd redirect you to the Toad Brigade discussion board here. The supporters have made many great movesets for Captain Toad.

Providing a response like that can be applied to characters like Rosalina and Jr. before they were revealed. Toad has fighting experience unlike many characters on the roster and can be made highly unique. ANY character can be given a moveset.

I apologize about this, but that response just gets me. :/ Toad was playable in more Mario platformers than even Peach.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I welcome the Mario characters. I want sales and popularity to be a guide for character inclusions. What I dislike is that this rule is applied to only some series (Mario, Mother, etc.) while others ignore it (Kid Icarus, DK, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom