• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No one else is bothered by the flood of Mario characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion

Look at the situation. Taking the leak seriously there are 10 bloody Mario characters, and don't you dare bring up Yoshi or WarioWare, I'm fully aware of it. The point is that they wasting spots, not slots, and I don't care it was decided in Day 1 of dev time, Mario is a decease. What do you think of the situation? Is the friggin cash cow stealing too much the spotlight? Comment.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Just because Mario is a huge series doesn't mean we need to have so many Mario characters. This game is supposed to showcase Nintendo as a whole and show that it isn't just Mario/Zelda/Pokemon; they've got tons of unique and interesting IPs. So it's frustrating that we don't have Chibi-Robo, Isaac, Ray, Sami, .... the list goes on, and instead we just have to have two Mario newcomers. Or if Mario needs the attention, why not have Paper Mario? It's really a spin-off series and TTYD was an amazingly refreshing experience. Or smaller series could get more characters...for example, why not throw F-Zero a bone after all this time? So we can focus on Mario Kart instead and help keep F-Zero dormant for another ten years? More characters from the big 3 franchises are just going to make them overshadow smaller series that deserve more attention, and the fact that the game industry is in a state of wanting to give people the same exact thing over and over again is one of the biggest reasons it's probably going to crash within the next decade or so.
Finally somebody who understands my point! I disagree with Paper Mario though. Also Mario Kart is re-killing F-Zero even more. Mario Kart 8 Does not work with things stolen from F-Zero for me.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
No. And I hope we get more via DLC.

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
Honestly... Nope. Not bothered in the slightest.

For one, Mario is the biggest franchise Nintendo has. For another, Pokémon got 6 playable characters last time, so it only makes sense that Mario would either have just as much or slightly more then them this time around. Not to mention, I find all the characters confirmed (and leaked) for this game top be welcome additions to the roster (except Dr. Mario, though even him I'm kind of okay with).

Hell, I'd say yes to 6 playable characters for The Legend of Zelda as well, since I feel like they're just as big as both Mario and Pokémon

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Honestly... Nope. Not bothered in the slightest.

For one, Mario is the biggest franchise Nintendo THE WORLD has. For another, Pokémon got 6 playable characters last time, so it only makes sense that Mario would either have just as much or slightly more then them this time around. Not to mention, I find all the characters confirmed (and leaked) for this game top be welcome additions to the roster (except Dr. Mario, though even him I'm kind of okay with).

Hell, I'd say yes to 6 playable characters for The Legend of Zelda as well, since I feel like they're just as big as both Mario and Pokémon
Fixed.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Look at the situation. Taking the leak seriously there are 10 bloody Mario characters, and don't you dare bring up Yoshi or WarioWare, I'm fully aware of it. The point is that they wasting spots, not slots, and I don't care it was decided in Day 1 of dev time, Mario is a decease. What do you think of the situation? Is the friggin cash cow stealing too much the spotlight? Comment.
Honestly, if you were going to complain about Mario representation you should have mentioned the stage selection rather than the characters. Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are great and popular additions with interesting movesets and Dr. Mario took almost no resources at all. On the other hand, the amount of new Mario stages it has is absurd when many other established franchises only have old stages from Brawl and even both Pokémon and Zelda combined have less stages than Mario. Mario's popularity be damned, that stage bias is ****ing awful.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
How many other franchises have been around for so long and stood the test of time? Not only that, but Mario has prospered through it all. The characters represent different games and eras of Mario.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser: legends in the franchise

Bowser Jr.: Super Mario Sunshine

Yoshi: Super Mario World and everything since

Wario: has his own series and was a fan favorite

DK: Donkey Kong arcade game, been in the series since, and has his own series

Rosalina: Super Mario Galaxy

Dr. Mario: he probably was not neccesary.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Mario Reps are fine. Unique movesets (great part of them). What bothers me most in the franchises with great numbers of reps is Zelda because of the clones.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Just think how much more popular Mario is than Zelda and Pokémon, Nintendo's 2 next biggest franchises.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Honestly, if you were going to complain about Mario representation you should have mentioned the stage selection rather than the characters. Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are great and popular additions with interesting movesets and Dr. Mario took almost no resources at all. On the other hand, the amount of new Mario stages it has is absurd when many other established franchises only have old stages from Brawl and even both Pokémon and Zelda combined have less stages than Mario. Mario's popularity be damned, that stage bias is ****ing awful.
I'm still bothered by Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario, but I am equally pissed off with all the stupid Mario stages. Why not bringing back Fountain of Dreams or Hyrule Castle? Everybody likes those stages. Or just do new non-chaotic stages based of better games, like MOTHER, DK Country, or Zero Mission. F*** Mario scrolling stages, they are all chaotic and unplayable, leaving (at least for me) only Arena Ferox, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Battlefield, Final Destination, Tortimer Island, and Prism Tower.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm bothered, just as much as I am by the swarm of Pokemen.

I mean, I'm all for more fighters, I just wish they'd come from more diverse sources. F-Zero and Mother want some love.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes it does bother me, and at the same no it does not bother me for a number of reasons. It does bother me because it means that Sakurai valued the new Mario characters over any number of other characters that he could have included/make work in the game. A ninth of the entire roster doesn't sound too bad, but when you consider there are 49 characters total it does start to sting a little more, however the only one that actually "bothers" me is Dr. Mario.

I like Dr. Mario just fine and if he was a late addition originally intended as an alt, more power to Sakurai to making him his own slot. My frustration comes from the fact that if he did he chose to put the time into a clone Mario character rather than Lucas or Wolf, who were also both semi-clones. Obviously those two require a bit more work to be implemented, and I have no idea behind the circumstances during production of the game so I can't really say much too negatively about his inclusion over them. Hell they might not even be cut for sure yet if you believe we have more characters like I do.

As for the other Mario newcomers thank god they are unique, it makes it so much easier to deal with them being on the roster. Rosalina and Luma is an interesting concept for a character and has been very well executed from what I've seen (and my personal bias towards Rosalina helps me easily support her anyway). Then Bowser Jr. in the clown car also seems to be pretty unique, and the more of it I see the more of it I will probably like and be far more accepting of. The two Mario newcomers are true newcomers and make a lot of sense when you think about it (Even though Bowser Jr. over other characters is also pretty frustrating, but again him being a unique character overrides a LOT of that frustration). The other four Mario characters absolutely should be there and with everything they've done there with Bowser for this game almost make him a newcomer is his own right. Mario has definitely gotten the love this time around, no doubt about that, and for the most part they've done it well too. I don't expect to see that many more Mario characters in future Smash games after this blow out of new content, so even if you're angry at the new Smash for Mario now, just think of it as a promise for more newcomers from other series next time! (It helps a little at least)

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I don't like is the slots they take up that could go to series that need reps.:4falcon::4dk:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, I'm going to do this quick: why it would and why even asking the question?

I'm tired of those arguments. They are pointless because it's based on something that is so arbitrary that it doesn't make sense for Sakurai to decide AT THE ABSOLUTE AND UNDENIABLE belief that if a series has too much rep, it's BAD.

Better have 50 characters from 50 different series, then I shouldn't see anyone complain right?

You do realise what it would imply right?

I'm serious, it's because of those arguments that people believed mario >= everyone else to use that against mewtwo! Hey, I'm the most biased on Paper Mario and even my common sense can tell you how baseless this assumption is.

Everyone forget 4 Fire Emblem rep?

I'm tired and this is the last time I repeat it before release:

Those arguments are the poison of most of support threads and only a few exceptions did not got infected.

/rant.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
To me, it's just more characters. I don't care if Mario has 7, 10, or 311 Reps. An arbitrary number doesn't stop my support of Paper Mario, Captain Toad, and Wart.
It's not like he's the face of the art of video games.

The only thing I don't like is the slots they take up that could go to series that need reps.:4falcon::4dk:
Characters don't take slots from other characters. The size of Smash 3DS is 2GB. The maximum a 3DS card can hold is 8GB. So, with a liberal assumption that all of the space is used for characters, we could have had room for 350+ more characters. And since there's the almost inevitable possibility of DLC, and the 3DS can hold up to 64GB SDHC cards, there's not much to worry about in terms of character space.

3rd edit: Also if we take representation to it's most literal terms, Mario would take up nearly half the roster if you turn sales into a fraction.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
no i think this is the right amount, we have all the main mario characters, the only one not needed is :drmario:

you also forgot wolf in the pic

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well, since people assume a series should be represented by sales and popularity, 7 Mario characters seems fine with me. Yes Yoshi and Wario are separate the same that DK is separate. Geez you guys seem to clump them together only when it's convenient for you. Logos people. You don't see Rosalina with the Grand Star symbol and you don't see Wario with a Mushroom.
I'm fine with the surplus of Mario the same way I'm fine with the surplus of Sonic in the Sega All Star games.
I'm more concerned that Zelda doesn't have as many characters.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
how you would feel if it were counted as luigi his own series

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If Luigi had a Luigi's Mansion based logo and was considered it's own thing then yes. I think Luigi's Mansion is strong enough to hold on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom