• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No one else is bothered by the flood of Mario characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

Look at the situation. Taking the leak seriously there are 10 bloody Mario characters, and don't you dare bring up Yoshi or WarioWare, I'm fully aware of it. The point is that they wasting spots, not slots, and I don't care it was decided in Day 1 of dev time, Mario is a decease. What do you think of the situation? Is the friggin cash cow stealing too much the spotlight? Comment.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i still dont count yoshi or wario.However 9 characters do seem like a lot especially with doctor mario. i mean 8 unique movesets and then doc

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Oh my goodness, Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong are there own franchises!

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I feel this is a really silly thing to be worked up over, and I apologize if that sounds inflammatory.

I've loved just about every new character Sakurai has shown since promotional materials started being shared on the game. I admit I did grow up on Mario games and have the vast majority of the mainline ones on hand, but each one has been prominent enough in games that I don't really mind their inclusion in the least.

Yeah, Dr. Mario is a controversial point, but I've got faith he's present again for a reason - maybe he is Melee Mario (no more FLUDD all tornado all the time). Maybe he has a new trick or two up his sleeve. We'll find out.

I'd love to see some more characters in new series that hadn't had representation myself, but I'm not too hung up about overall character choice. The base game of Smash itself is fun to play, and that is largely what I care for most moreso than fulfilling any quota like 'reps!!' or what have you.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The only character that really seems excessive is Doc. Bowser Jr. and Rosalina both have interesting character concepts to justify their inclusion, though it's understandable why some fans would be upset to see second-tier Mario characters get in over Mewtwo, K. Rool, or Ridley. The rest are all too important and iconic not to get in, regardless of whatever "character slots" rule fans like to come up with.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Look at the situation. Taking the leak seriously there are 10 bloody Mario characters, and don't you dare bring up Yoshi or WarioWare, I'm fully aware of it. The point is that they wasting spots, not slots, and I don't care it was decided in Day 1 of dev time, Mario is a decease. What do you think of the situation? Is the friggin cash cow stealing too much the spotlight? Comment.
I am diagnosing this roster with HPV.

I think Mario has adequate representation given its status as the flagship franchise, although it would have been nice to see another DK character at this stage. Bowser Jr. looks quality, but the truth is I'm not excited to see him. The case can be made for oversaturation. In the end, it's mostly personal perspective.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Huh, that's weird. It's almost as if Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise and is one of the most recognizable video game franchises in all of pop culture.
WEEIIRD...

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Mario could have 1/4 of the roster and not be overrepresented. It's THE Nintendo franchise. Plus, the Mario series has plenty of characters to pick from. Aside from Toad, we basically have all the important characters now, so you might be able to rest easy. Doctor Mario shouldn't even really be counted since clones theoretically take up a very small amount of development time, so they're not taking up spots. I don't think calling Mario a "disease" is accurate. But really though:
In the end, it's mostly personal perspective.
People who like smaller series will probably be more against the Mario representation. You seem to be an Earthbound fan, so I could see why you might be frustrated. I'm a huge fan of Pikmin, and I'm bit salty about it being kind of underrepresented, but I don't think the larger franchises are overrepresented at all. I just don't like when series that are similar in size/sales/whatever have disproportionate amounts of representation.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm upset about Bowser Jr./Koopalings... I mean, we're getting sidekicks/cronies to the villain of one series before we get the villain of another series that's deserving of more characters, K. Rool from Donkey Kong (and no, the DK series isn't the same as the Mario series!!).

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
People who like smaller series will probably be more against the Mario representation. You seem to be an Earthbound fan, so I could see why you might be frustrated. I'm a huge fan of Pikmin, and I'm bit salty about it being kind of underrepresented, but I don't think the larger franchises are overrepresented at all. I just don't like when series that are similar in size/sales/whatever have disproportionate amounts of representation.
You would be right! I am an Earthbound fan. To clarify, my greater area of concern besides the Mario craze is the lack of DK representation. I'm perfectly content with just Ness. He's more than adequate for the Mother franchise, and if you've seen me advocating for more characters, that's me dreaming out loud; I don't truly expect Jeff Andonuts to make it. I also don't think Zelda or Metroid, the other major franchises, are overrepresented in their current states. If anything, I feel like they have justifiable claims for growth.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I would like more DK reps or even a WarioWare rep, but Mario is not overrepresented. It is Nintendo's most popular series with the second most popular being Pokemon. Having 7 or 8 characters is fine. It's that big of a series.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
You would be right! I am an Earthbound fan. To clarify, my greater area of concern besides the Mario craze is the lack of DK representation. I'm perfectly content with just Ness. He's more than adequate for the Mother franchise, and if you've seen me advocating for more characters, that's me dreaming out loud; I don't truly expect Jeff Andonuts to make it. I also don't think Zelda or Metroid, the other major franchises, are overrepresented in their current states. If anything, I feel like they have justifiable claims for growth.
Heh. I was actually talking about @ L9999 L9999 up there, but I guess I made a lucky guess too. :laugh:

Yes, I agree about DK lacking representation. I hope we Dixie or K. Rool as one of the Final 5 or whatever number it is. When I said major franchises, I was talking more about Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon though. I could definitely see Zelda getting some more representation, and Metroid really needs more representation.

Also good on you for supporting Jeff. ;)

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Heh. I was actually talking about @ L9999 L9999 up there, but I guess I made a lucky guess too. :laugh:

Yes, I agree about DK lacking representation. I hope we Dixie or K. Rool as one of the Final 5 or whatever number it is. When I said major franchises, I was talking more about Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon though. I could definitely see Zelda getting some more representation, and Metroid really needs more representation.

Also good on you for supporting Jeff. ;)
Sorry about that. I've sorta been conditioned to respond to comments that quote me. I'll need to pay attention to the context of the message next time, and yeah, take credit for the guess. If I were you, I wouldn't have even said it was lucky. Woulda played it off like I knew all along. =)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Mario had less characters than Zelda and Pokemon in Brawl... so I really don't see it as a tragedy that it's getting more this time around.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meh, Mario as a series has a lot of character potential, so it works. I'd rather have had Squirtle and Ivysaur returning though and let Pokémon have 7 characters, but it is what it is.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I don't find Mario having 8-10 characters really that bothersome. Not only is Mario Nintendo's flagship franchise and its mascot but his series is the best selling video game franchise ever in the entire world. Pokemon follows in second place in those aspects as well. Plus, as Kirby didn't receive any newcomers in melee then got two in the sequel, its no surprise Mario is getting a similar treatment in smash 4 seeing as his series got no new reps in brawl. Also, clones usually don't take much effort so consider Doctor Mario a bonus. More character the better anyway am I right :grin:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only character that really seems excessive is Doc. Bowser Jr. and Rosalina both have interesting character concepts to justify their inclusion, though it's understandable why some fans would be upset to see second-tier Mario characters get in over Mewtwo, K. Rool, or Ridley. The rest are all too important and iconic not to get in, regardless of whatever "character slots" rule fans like to come up with.
Ahh! Ahh! This is the most plausible reason why anyone would have issues with the "oversaturation" of Marioverse characters.

shackamaxon

Smash Rookie
Actually, I'm more bothered by the lack of Toad as a fighter at this point.. I know he's never been a highly-requested character, but he's one of the most iconic Nintendo characters ever and he's one of the default playable characters in every Mario sports and mini-game titles. His playable roles in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Wario's Woods, Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Super Mario 3D World more than justify his inclusion in the roster as a standalone fighter, but he's still just a prop for Peach in her standard B special. When this game was first announced, I thought for sure he'd be one of the first newcomers announced.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
I think the Mario series has grown so expansive that each of these characters has a reason to stay
Mario- sort of a no brainer why he should stay
Luigi- He's the lovable sidekick, its not the Super Mario Bros without him
Peach- female representation for smash is pretty important, so it makes sense that the most important franchise's most important female is in
Bowser- villain representation is also a must, so Bowser makes sense
Dr Mario- this guy actually makes no sense, he could have easily have been an alt
Yoshi- sort of represents his own mini-franchise and he's one of the original 12
Wario- represents another mini franchise, and is just so wacky and unique that you gotta love him
Rosalina- she's gaining quite some popularity, and this smash bros seems to be all about letting in the new blood (Palutena, Robin, Greninja)
Bowser Jr.- while he certainly wasn't my first choice for a fighter, I defiantly thing the Klown Car angle will make him quite popular
Not sure what the tenth guy is, is it DK? if it is than the role is self explanatory

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah how dumb is it that Nintendo's biggest, most successful series (by a large amount) gets like 15% of the roster - made up primarily of highly popular characters, with two successful, longstanding multi-game sub-series getting one character each, and the fifth biggest Nintendo series on the roster getting two characters (even though it easily deserves more).

Sickening. :rolleyes:

If the roster were representative of actual success and size ratios, Mario would have a heck of a lot more playable characters than it does now.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Even though I'm a huge Mario fan, I see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo. Not just Mario.

Now the game is more of a Mario All-Stars + Nintendo Friends.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
For one thing, even though Wario, Yoshi, and DK originated in the Mario universe (Although Mario did first appear in the first DK...), they're representatives of their own series here. As such, Mario only really has seven characters under its belt.

Secondly, Mario is Nintendo's biggest series by far. It getting plenty of characters makes sense.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh considering how Pokemon and Zelda where apparently supposed to get seven playable characters whereas Mario would have been stuck at just five back in Brawl. I think it getting seven this time is about fine. Besides, it's Nintendo's biggest and most important flagship franchise so it getting the most characters is pretty justified imo. I think Pokemon and Zelda probably have at least 6 characters too if that leak we've seen isn't the full roster and all so yah....

Unless you go around counting Yoshi, Wario and the DK characters or something. But they are generally representing their own series, especially Wario and DK.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Mario is not over represented to me; even if we count Yoshi and Wario (Yoshi's placement in the roster, cutting the "mushroom serie" and Wario getting Waluigi in his own serie goes toward this idea). No, I would be more bothered by the lack of newcommers in series such as Zelda, or Mewtwo not being in again. But I'm fine with the Mario characters: I love Rosalina, and Bowser Jr, a character that I actually was against, seems fun in his Koopa Clown Car. There's just Dr Mario who seems a bit too much, but I consider him a bonus, just like Lucina.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Let's not forget that Mario is the face of Nintendo. I believe they all deserve to get in except Dr. Mario. And I think Yoshi should not be considered his own franchise. However, Wario should because the only Mario games he is in are like sports and spinofff games. DK also should be considered his own obviosly because of the DK Country series.

So that leaves 8 Mario characters. I think that is extremely fair. I mean Kid Icarus has 2 reps, I think Mario definitely deserves atleast 4x as many as that game.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Mario could have 1/4 of the roster and not be overrepresented. It's THE Nintendo franchise. Plus, the Mario series has plenty of characters to pick from. Aside from Toad, we basically have all the important characters now, so you might be able to rest easy. Doctor Mario shouldn't even really be counted since clones theoretically take up a very small amount of development time, so they're not taking up spots. I don't think calling Mario a "disease" is accurate. But really though:

I'm more a Ness player than a MOTHER fan, so I don't mind at all Ness being solo, but I enjoyed Mother 2. And Giygas is cool, even if he is terrifying.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Even though I'm a huge Mario fan, I see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo. Not just Mario.

Now the game is more of a Mario All-Stars + Nintendo Friends.
Yes 10/52 (counting missing slots) less than 20% should be called a Mario series.
Donkey Kong and Wario don't count, period. So yeah.
It's Nintendo's main mascot, Mario gets as many reps as it wants. Plus, clones don't even take up any bodies slots, they are extra.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
The only one I really don't think deserves to be on there is dr mario he already had his time and we don't need another clone.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
The only one I really don't think deserves to be on there is dr mario he already had his time and we don't need another clone.
Never understood why people hate clones. They don't take any content away, and there just extras that you can avoid. Either 52 character roster with 5 clones, or 47 roster without.

D

Deleted member

Mario is the most successful video game franchise. Each game has sold millions and have reached critical acclaim. While there are a lot of Mario characters, it's justified since the Mario series is highly popular and each of the characters are pretty iconic to Nintendo.

I'm personally not bothered by the amount of Mario representation. It's my favorite video game series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, the Mario Universe is the biggest universe in Nintendo's arsenal, so it stands to reason that there would be more Mario reps than with most other franchises. Pokemon comes up next, followed by The Legend of Zelda.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I honestly don't mind it. If Daisy was a Peach alt it would have been even bigger! I'd rather have more Mario characters than every other franchise *flame shield*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If any series should get two actual newcomers, especially since they had none last game, isn't it Mario? Undoubtedly the most iconic and important series Nintendo has? Mario's name is literally synonymous with video gaming.

Besides, Rosie and Bowser Jr. seem like fresh and interesting characters, and Doc is likely an alt turned character. I ain't even mad.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I swear to god if the reason Wario doesn't have actual better representation because of the people complaining about too much Mario I'm going to send all of you fart microgames.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice

I've said this in a previous discussion but I'll repeat it here:
Counting DK, Yoshi, Wario as part of the Mario Universe

Smash 64 was 1/3 Mario Universe

Melee was just over 1/4 Mario Universe

Brawl was just over 1/5 Mario Universe

This roster that we know of based on the leak is barely over 1/5 (20.8% approximately) Mario Universe.

If anything Mario Universe's ratios are going down every installment, not up.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
The only way I could see this being an issue would be if Mario himself took up 10 slots.

Plus, if and when DLC gets announced, I really don't see to many Mario characters being included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom