• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Dav3 has entered 0 NJ tournaments since the last list was released. This makes him N/A for our state.

And it's really hard to go past 15. We had trouble once we hit Magus or so, to be honest... Results are harder to analyze and find for people the lower you go on a list.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ranking as many as possible is silly. The point is to give people something to work for. If there are a crap load of people on the list and major skill gaps all over the place then what's the point. Keep the list at 15.

JFox

Smash Hero
-Reik, should the list be added to the front page yet, or should we wait until after WoZ and Triad give their input?

-I think the list should definitely be as long as possible. However, the list becomes inaccurate when you start trying to rate people that are not competing. There is a lot of talent in this state that isn't recognized because people are simply far too inactive. And the lists are based on tourney activity, so rating good players just can't be done if they aren't playing.

-I personally think bi-monthly sounds great.

-I don't think that people who compete in a state should be counted in that state. This means that people like Magus shouldn't even be on the NJ list(sorry -_-). As much as a like Magus, it really isn't fair to make the exception.

You use tourney's to simply understand the level of skill of a person. This list shouldn't be about what tourney you compete in. If M2k stopped competing in NJ, would we take him off our list just cuz he competes nationally? Who's list would he belong on, if not ours? I say the rankings are simply done by state residence as a way of organizing the country so that all players can be ranked locally. But its not about what tourney's you go to. I know cat3 was taken into account for the rankings- that wasn't an NJ tourney.

Basically I'm sayin make rules and stick to em. You make far too many dumb exceptions. Why are some people out of state on the list and not others? Why are some people considered active and not others? How far does one drop due to inactivity? Do only NJ tourney's count toward this list or not? You need to make rules you can stick with them.

Rules should be defined and completely objective. (examples) If you have not competed in ANY tournaments in 3 months, you are removed from the list, no exceptions. If you haven't competed since the last list was made, you will be lowered under those who have a similar skill level and are more active, by default. Only NJ tourney's are counted for the rankings -or- all tourneys NJ players compete in are counted toward the rankings. NJ players only -or- anyone who competes in NJ frequently. (frequently is defined as at least one tourney a month in NJ)

Notice how many controversies will be settled if you use an objective approach to the list, instead of a "well...they kinda don't play much, so lets take em off the list"

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I disagree with almost everything. This is no exception.

I always thought the power rankings were to show OTHER states who the badasses are. We know who the hell is good, so why have a list for us

Zang plays, and is better than Reik/inui. Put him at two. He was at smashtality. He's a big name smasher, can't expect him to be at bi-weeklies alot, or little tourns. He had his time in the scene when, but he's still here. Comp is a differe

nt story. He plain DOESN'T compete, therefore shouldn't be on the rankings. But I've seen Dav3 3 times in a month, and zang once. And that whole, isn't in NJ crap is just that!

That's like saying, well forward DID compete in NJ a bunch, so here counts as NJ right? I don't care who's what number, but if you're going to make a list, don't be biased. Stop making lame rules, and just post. It's supposed to be a billboard of baddass that NJ really is in Smash. We're def in the top 5 states. (Me thinks CA, NY, NJ, MD, VA? /ponders)

I do agree with the bi monthly update.

As for the list size, If it gets past 15 it'll get messy. As only the top 10 are carefully studied, while 11-15 are thught over, they're just not given as much thought. (Puts on Inui prof flame suit.) 16-?? would just be tacked on. It's not worth it.

Also, We should really do an NJ-esque tier list.

Like, the characters used most, and best in nj.

Maybe something like? Falco, falco, falco, falco, marth, falco, falco, shiek, falco ****ing falco, fox, fox, Marth, FALCOOOO?

Oh, Moo plays yoshi too. Don't forget yoshi.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
As much as I like how the list looks, Brandon is right. I can see some badass from another state playing Inui and Reik and possibly beating them then going "What the ****!? All NJ has is Mew2King, they wacks as hellzzz!!11" when we all know Dave and Zang can come out the batcave and give them a run for their money.

If it's based off tourney results, I'd say it's pretty accurate except for the fact "inactive people" are done off a thought basis. I was looking around for Woz on that new list and was like "Wtf?!" As J-Fox said, there should be a certain amount of time that the player didn't play in NJ for them to be taken off the list.

I could see the list beggining as:

1. M2K

*Un-MASSIVE SKILL GAP*

2. Dave
3. Zang

*Even-more-un-MASSIVE SKILL GAP*

4. Reik/Inui
5. Inui/Reik
6. Sensei
7. Eggm
etc...

Edit: "Wishes my partner Hazzy/Hazzie played more often :("

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I would say the "MASSIVE SKILL GAP" is unnecessary because if we are basing this of skill than the order would be different. >_>
True! But without dave, zang, comp on the list, the gap is still rather massive. As m2k is number 1 in the country, compared to reik being like 8th-ish in tristate.

Reik

Smash Ace
-Reik, should the list be added to the front page yet, or should we wait until after WoZ and Triad give their input?
I think we should wait.

I don't think that people who compete in a state should be counted in that state. This means that people like Magus shouldn't even be on the NJ list(sorry -_-). As much as a like Magus, it really isn't fair to make the exception.

You use tourney's to simply understand the level of skill of a person. This list shouldn't be about what tourney you compete in. If M2k stopped competing in NJ, would we take him off our list just cuz he competes nationally? Who's list would he belong on, if not ours? I say the rankings are simply done by state residence as a way of organizing the country so that all players can be ranked locally. But its not about what tourney's you go to. I know cat3 was taken into account for the rankings- that wasn't an NJ tourney.
The point of the NJ rankings is to order the NJ players. How can we compare players if they're not competing the same events?

For example, can we use how Inui places in Chu's biweeklies to decide if he should be above me in the rankings? I've never played anyone from MD/VA besides Plank, and the both of us lose to Plank. We don't know how I'd do against the other players, so Inui's attendance at those events doesn't count for much. Does that make sense? It's similar to trying to put West Coast players and East Coast players on the same rankings list.

Hm... actually... that means Cactuar, Pacman, Velocity, etc. could probably be on the NJ list since they compete here often. The poor PA players hardly have any tournaments. :(

Rules should be defined and completely objective. (examples) If you have not competed in ANY tournaments in 3 months, you are removed from the list, no exceptions. If you haven't competed since the last list was made, you will be lowered under those who have a similar skill level and are more active, by default. Only NJ tourney's are counted for the rankings -or- all tourneys NJ players compete in are counted toward the rankings. NJ players only -or- anyone who competes in NJ frequently. (frequently is defined as at least one tourney a month in NJ)
I'm totally in favor of this, or at least something similar to this.

Zang plays, and is better than Reik/inui. Put him at two. He was at smashtality.
Yeah, Zang was iffy. I wanted to put him back on, but if he said he's not going to be participating in NJ for a while, and Smashtality is the only thing he's entered, does that justify putting him on? I don't know what we should do.

I would say the "MASSIVE SKILL GAP" is unnecessary because if we are basing this of skill than the order would be different. >_>
Lol I just put that in as a joke since the list hasn't had final approval yet. Don't take it seriously, guys.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
My God, it's a mess in here.

Let me make things clear. The panelists have to come up with a criteria for placing people in the list. Do NOT make up your own rules or assume or make any exceptions. You take the criteria, you check the players who qualify and can even be on the list based on the criteria, and you can then discuss what order the players should be in. Everyone in the panel will follow this criteria and will defend their arguments through panel discussion based on this criteria.

Those who aren't in the panel, please don't pressure the panelists. They have been accepted and chosen to do this for you. If you want to act like a panelist, step it up for the next list - I hate that people avoid it when registration for the panel begins, but then everyone jumps the wagon and barks orders on how the list should be done. In the end, only the panelists chosen have the right to place where players are. That's final.

One piece of advice - Zang should be at the list, if not the bottom where possible. Every significant event should be accounted for, and if Zanguzen placed well in what is considered a big tournament in the state, then that merits him a spot on the list, even if it has to be lower than usual. You do NOT make exceptions - we look at what has happened recently, not what you assume is going to happen in the future. Any substantial events from the last list until the new list should be analyzed with the utmost scrutiny. If Zang doesn't participate in any other events by the time you make another list after this one, you can take him off.

That'll be my last input on that matter. I trust that the rest of the panelists will do their job. If things get chaotic, I will do what is necessary to put things back in order.

No, I do not intend to be a panelist, but I will moderate the process if i have to - don't forget that this is why Tope and I were chosen to be moderators in the first place.

Edit - I suggest the panelists no longer publicly discuss the list past updates on how far you've gone to complete the list. If you have any problems, I'd rather you send Tope or myself a PM and we'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, find a place where you can discuss these matters amongst yourselves. Create a deadline for yourselves and to give the players in NJ a date to look forward to. Everyone else in NJ will have a chance to voice an opinion AFTER the list is finished, in which case the panel should be ready to defend their positions.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
My God, it's a mess in here.

Let me make things clear. The panelists have to come up with a criteria for placing people in the list. Do NOT make up your own rules or assume or make any exceptions. You take the criteria, you check the players who qualify and can even be on the list based on the criteria, and you can then discuss what order the players should be in. Everyone in the panel will follow this criteria and will defend their arguments through panel discussion based on this criteria.

Those who aren't in the panel, please don't pressure the panelists. They have been accepted and chosen to do this for you. If you want to act like a panelist, step it up for the next list - I hate that people avoid it when registration for the panel begins, but then everyone jumps the wagon and barks orders on how the list should be done. In the end, only the panelists chosen have the right to place where players are. That's final.

One piece of advice - Zang should be at the list, if not the bottom where possible. Every significant event should be accounted for, and if Zanguzen placed well in what is considered a big tournament in the state, then that merits him a spot on the list, even if it has to be lower than usual. You do NOT make exceptions - we look at what has happened recently, not what you assume is going to happen in the future. Any substantial events from the last list until the new list should be analyzed with the utmost scrutiny. If Zang doesn't participate in any other events by the time you make another list after this one, you can take him off.

That'll be my last input on that matter. I trust that the rest of the panelists will do their job. If things get chaotic, I will do what is necessary to put things back in order.

No, I do not intend to be a panelist, but I will moderate the process if i have to - don't forget that this is why Tope and I were chosen to be moderators in the first place.

Edit - I suggest the panelists no longer publicly discuss the list past updates on how far you've gone to complete the list. If you have any problems, I'd rather you send Tope or myself and PM and we'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, find a place where you can discuss these matters amongst yourselves. Everyone else in NJ will have a chance to voice an opinion AFTER the list is finished, in which case the panel should be ready to defend their positions.
Isn't this doing exactly what you just said not to do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you being a mod does not make you a panelist. You're acting like a teacher guiding the student council, when in fact, you're our peer on this, and how THIS panel does it may be different, I'm sure the list will be fine.

As for the whole sign ups thing, I wasn't around yet, I've only rejoined the scene recently. Otherwise, I would have been all over that.

Reik's whole Plank argument is golden. However, I go back to my whole what if they don't want to go to little lowbie biweeklies? I'm sure KDJ doesn't attend a tourn every week in his state, but you'll see him wreck house at mlg. Does that make him not #1 in his state? (Md, MA... iono.)

The point is, as cool as rankings are, it's super not that big of a deal for everyone to get all fussy about. I mean, sure, you work hard, you should be on it, but that doesn't make anyone any better than the guy below him. (Cept m2k...)

On another note, we should all ray dearly that SSBB is not online. Cause then people are going to be all, BUT I HAVE 100,000 WINS AND THAT MAKES ME BETTER LOLLLLL

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
DMBrandon, one of my duties as a moderator in the regional forums is to look over state and regional rankings and make sure the process runs smoothly. I do so enough for the entire Region and watching over the 9 panelists in charge of that, and I have the same duty to do so for every state that has a state list. Please bear that in mind for the future - this is the reason WHY I'm here.

By the way, I seem to have overlooked it and I apologize, but the state rankings need a mission statement. For the panelists making the new list, please create one and use it as your primary purpose for creating your list.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
DMBrandon, one of my duties as a moderator in the regional forums is to look over state and regional rankings and make sure the process runs smoothly. I do so enough for the entire Region and watching over the 9 panelists in charge of that, and I have the same duty to do so for every state that has a state list. Please bear that in mind for the future - this is the reason WHY I'm here.
Well uhh.... Okay then. Well said, indeed. ^_^

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I've been pondering lately, and I think it's a good idea for the panelists to decide on a regional sponsor. This is the person in charge of the entire thing - in charge of choosing the panelists, having some administrative control to keep things organized, and keeps control of the thread updates concerning the list itself. This person is not on the panel itself, but can have a say in how the process should be handled and leads the panel into the discussion itself. Essentially, it's what I'm already doing, but without the mod powers.

If it were up to me, I'd nominate JFox for the position. He's one of the main people already in charge of the NJPlayerFinder, and I think it's appropriate if he were to be chosen for this position.

(This also keeps the workload off me a bit >_>)

Of course, if things get to a point where the sponsor can't control the situation, I'd step in and do some butt whooping.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I personally think that the actual skill level should be weighted at least as much as tournament performance, especially for the "less active" top players. Anyone can look at tournament results and gauge what they want to think from that; I personally believe the purpose of power rankings is to get a more subjective view of the landscape from the locals who know the players best, not punch all their results into a big black box and wait for it to spit out a list based pretty much exclusively on that

edit: plus while this results-heavy approach works "okay" theoretically for the higher levels of the rankings (and even here many people would argue it doesn't), it's pretty much a crapshoot after the top few. At any given tournament, 13th place is not necessarily more impressive than 25th, depending on who you played

JFox

Smash Hero
If it were up to me, I'd nominate JFox for the position. He's one of the main people already in charge of the NJPlayerFinder, and I think it's appropriate if he were to be chosen for this position.
I'm so flattered. Really, this means a lot that you would even say that.

I would be glad to help actually. What has really held me back from being a part of the power rankings panel was always that I felt I was behind in skill when compared to the majority of the list. I don't know how accurately I could choose between two people who are better than me. But I do feel that I have certain qualities and organizational skills that could certainly benefit the list.

So yeah, I'd be up for it if thats what the community wanted.

pockyD

Smash Legend
hurray for jasonfox

atomsk i need your address

wesley (since you read this thread for some reason) i need your address

e-mail is preferred -> kmsun@andrew.cmu.edu; i don't trust the pm system but it'll probably get to me if you insist on using it

Bnin23

Smash Rookie
Name: Eazy, Dudu
County: Camden county
City: Camden
Contact Info: AIM: boutdabux23
College: Rutgers New Brunswick
Additional Info:........
Crew: none

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
lol thats my friend ^^ what a nub, everyone pwn that nub roflcopters spinning out of control.

btw he is dudu as in (this is DUDU BABY!!! from dave chapelle. but he spells it all stupid like dizizdudubabii loll) also he is Eazy as in slEazy roflcakes.

Cla

Smash Rookie
Oy people. This tournament isn't in NJ, but I do have 5 people from NJ (and more from NYC) coming up for it. Maybe you all will feel like making the drive too:

Long Island, NY - July 1st 2007: Day Of Prophecy

In randomness, I used to live in Columbus myself. I attended a couple of those "tournaments" they had at the Burlington County College. But that was like 2 years ago, so even I have had happen to run into any of you, we probably wouldn't remember anyway. :dizzy:

JFox

Smash Hero
Inui, I don't plan on overseeing in the sense that I would have control over the list. I just feel I could help designing a better system to smoothe out the way this list is coordinated and molded into its final form. Having a system makes the list less arbitrary and more professional..

So have we decided that this current form of the list is its final form or what? Are you guys even still discussing about it anymore? I feel that if you are, there should be a date where the final version of the list is released, because its taking an awfully long time.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Inui, it's like asking me to be the panelist for the Regional Rankings. You've seen how I handled that, and I do my best to stay out of your discussions - that's the panelist job. My job as the sponsor is just to overlook things and make sure things run smoothly, and help create the process for the panelist to get things started.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom