• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Regarding Impa, if she ever got in Smash (which I sincerely doubt), then I'd hate for her to replace Sheik. Not only is Sheik the sole representation of the greatest Zelda game of all time, Impa is not an important character at all. At least Sheik is important to the one game that she's in, and she's a Smash Bros. staple now.

Replacing Sheik with Impa would be like replacing Robin with Donnel.

They should give a hybrid design to every Zelda character anyway for the sake of cohesion.
Link would pull primarily from the design I showed (A Link Between Worlds/Classic Link) with the extra details from Twilight Princess, sword and shield design from Skyward Sword, and maybe Ocarina of Time Link's gloves.
At the very least Sheik and Toon Link should solely look like they did in OOT and Wind Waker respectively IMO.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I really think there was a missed opportunity for the alt costumes being based on older appearances.

Project M's great at doing that

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
lolwut

Not at all. Donnel is a side character in a single Fire Emblem game that you don't even have to recruit.

Both Sheik and Impa are inportant to the story of their respective games, in some way.

I agree, though, Sheik should never see a spiritual successor or outright replacement in Impa. I think Impa is more a middle ground between Zelda and Sheik, anyway. Assuming you're using Skyward Sword Impa, anyway, which is my personal favorite.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
lolwut

Not at all. Donnel is a side character in a single Fire Emblem game that you don't even have to recruit.

Both Sheik and Impa are inportant to the story of their respective games, in some way.
Giant log that makes metallic sounds tho. Anvil meant that you shouldn't replace any character.

Also, Shadow Dragon's OST is kickass

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'm pretty cool with Impa getting in. Just not as Sheik's replacement.
Yeah, she shouldn't replace Sheik. Plus I also want Impa to have both her designs, the old lady design and Young Impa as alts, since it would be really funny to see old woman Impa beat up Link and Ganondorf.

I really hope this is a handheld system or something different. I don't know how I would react if the next home system is just a slightly beefed up Wii U in terms of power.

I mean, I am okay with the Wii U's graphics myself. But when it comes to marketing and getting third party support on board? Not a good strategy unless you have something good enough to back it up, but even then how are they going to be able to convince everyone outside of the Wii U userbase to buy it? Sure we had the Wii but can they really do it again anytime soon?
Well as long as the NX is on par with Xbox One if it is a home console, then might not be much of a problem. Also I would find it pointless to just make a Wii U without the controller, then not only have you lost major 3rd party devs, yo have also lost the creative devs as well.

Regarding Impa, if she ever got in Smash (which I sincerely doubt), then I'd hate for her to replace Sheik. Not only is Sheik the sole representation of the greatest Zelda game of all time, Impa is not an important character at all. At least Sheik is important to the one game that she's in, and she's a Smash Bros. staple now.

Yeah, sorry but Impa has always had some important plot role to any Zelda game she's been in. Her least important role was in A Link Between Worlds, and she still has importance to the plot of that game. And Impa is massively important to the plot of Skyward Sword.

You should realize that this why when it comes to Smash people always say Tingle and Impa are each others biggest competition.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
No way. Count me as one that doesn't want that.

Sakurai has never replaced a character and frankly he shouldn't. The only replacement was Young Link to Toon Link but they're practically the same characters.
He thought about way back In Melee.:4ness::4lucas:
But as we know he respects that each character has their fans.
Hence why Doc never got the Alt treatment.:4drmario:

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
He thought about way back In Melee.:4ness::4lucas:
But as we know he respects that each character has their fans.
Hence why Do never got the Alt treatment.:4drmario:
Yeah, I am seriously glad he never went through with the plan of replacing Ness with Lucas. Both are great, but just as you've said, every character has their fans.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I want this Impa:

Smash's female characters aren't true representations of women.

One Goddess, three princesses, one lord, one intergalactic bounty hunter, one yoga instructor.

The best female rep is this ol' gal:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
lolwut

I agree, though, Sheik should never see a spiritual successor or outright replacement in Impa. I think Impa is more a middle ground between Zelda and Sheik, anyway. Assuming you're using Skyward Sword Impa, anyway, which is my personal favorite.
Impa is nearly always a tertiary character in her appearances. Her "importance" is GREATLY over exaggerated by Smash fans. Conversely Sheik is a primary character in her game appearance. So IMO, the comparison is just.

Her support is solely sustained by the fact that Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim and Tingle IE every other Zelda character that isn't a Link, a Zelda or a Ganon are Assists.

If Impa WERE ever to be playable, the idea of making her the middle ground between Zelda and Sheik would be the best idea, especially as it'd be a nice nod to the fact that they had a transformation.

Starlight_Lily

I want this Impa:

Smash's female characters aren't true representations of women.

One Goddess, three princesses, one lord, one intergalactic bounty hunter, one yoga instructor.
And the men are?!:troll:

We got good knows how many legendary heroes, intergalactic mercenaries, an angel, demons and the manliest of all men!

Also guys I just realized something:

TEAM STARFOX HAVE THE SAME PERSONALITIES AS THE TEENAGE MUTANT NINA TURTLES

Just look at this:
Leonardo leads-Fox leads
Donatello does machines-Slippy does machines
Raphael is cool but rude- Falco is cool but rude
Michelangelo is the party dude- Peppy is the party dude.

And for those of you who don't believe Peppy being a party dude, go relisten to the Barrel Roll song.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Impa is nearly always a tertiary character in her appearances. Her "importance" is GREATLY over exaggerated by Smash fans. Conversely Sheik is a primary character in her game appearance. So IMO, the comparison is just.

Her support is solely sustained by the fact that Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim and Tingle IE every other Zelda character that isn't a Link, a Zelda or a Ganon are Assists.

If Impa WERE ever to be playable, the idea of making her the middle ground between Zelda and Sheik would be the best idea, especially as it'd be a nice nod to the fact that they had a transformation.
Yeah but the reason why it's like that and why we put Impa up there is that most request for Zelda characters are one off characters who are only relevant in one game AKA :4sheik:.

Impa is one of the only Zelda character that isn't :4link::4ganondorf:&:4zelda: that has appeared in multiple games most how. Something very little characters have. Tingle is the one character that is close to that and it's mostly due to him being most of :4tlink: games and spinoffs

Give me a Zelda character that isn't a one-shot character and has appeared in multiple games (atleast more than 2) and I can give it a shot but until then it's Impa and Tingle so at this point, who else should be a choice. It why Sakurai regulated them into ATs.

Only one who can stand on their own is Tetra because how important she is to the plot and bring something different.

Zelda is screwed for reps anyway since its most important and relevant characters are already in

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah but the reason why it's like that and why we put Impa up there is that most request for Zelda characters are one off characters who are only relevant in one game AKA :4sheik:.

Impa is one of the only Zelda character that isn't :4link::4ganondorf:&:4zelda: that has appeared in multiple games most how. Something very little characters have. Tingle is the one character that is close to that and it's mostly due to him being most of :4tlink: games and spinoffs

Give me a Zelda character that isn't a one-shot character and has appeared in multiple games (atleast more than 2) and I can give it a shot but until then it's Impa and Tingle so at this point, who else should be a choice. It why Sakurai regulated them into ATs.

Only one who can stand on their own is Tetra because how important she is to the plot and bring something different.

Zelda is screwed for reps anyway since its most important and relevant characters are already in
I honestly don't know why anyone would rather have a character that hasn't done anything major in their half a dozen or so appearances than someone who made a big impact in just one or two.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I honestly don't know why anyone would rather have a character that hasn't done anything major in their half a dozen or so appearances than someone who made a big impact in just one or two.
Because assholes keep complaining about Sheik so much about how she's done nothing but got in and stayed but it's considered a problem but one-shot character who's important is just as better and rather take away reps.

Impa has atleast done things in some of the Zelda games she's appeared in. That's more than enough but nope she's just as bad as Sheik. I'm just mad that she's considered a bad choice because she's done nothing worth to the plot but people will still claim for Skull Kid who did jack-all but turn you into a Deku Scrub and trolled everyone and Tingle who pretty much wasted everyone's time and never been back in a mainline Zelda game since

Considering the amount of Anna support there is, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a genuine request.
Nobody should replace nobody. :4tlink: did it because he does much more than YLink and :4darkpit::4lucina: are better as alts

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I have honest question man. Wheater you liked Skyward Sword or not is neither here nor there, but do you know what Imap does in it? Cause it is some pretty important stuff plot wise.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I have honest question man. Wheater you liked Skyward Sword or not is neither here nor there, but do you know what Imap does in it? Cause it is some pretty important stuff plot wise.
I haven't played Skyward Sword yet but I'm aware of her role in the game.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Because ******** keep complaining about Sheik so much about how she's done nothing but got in and stayed but it's considered a problem but one-shot character who's important is just as better and rather take away reps.

Impa has atleast done things in some of the Zelda games she's appeared in. That's more than enough but nope she's just as bad as Sheik. I'm just mad that she's considered a bad choice because she's done nothing worth to the plot but people will still claim for Skull Kid who did jack-all but turn you into a Deku Scrub and trolled everyone and Tingle who pretty much wasted everyone's time and never been back in a mainline Zelda game since
Being an important one shot character has never been a problem for any other franchise, see:

Roy, Lucina, Robin, Dark Pit, Rosalina, Lucas, Ness, Toon Link, Sheik, Young Link and obviously if he'd actually been promoted like the rest of the clones, Alph.

Hell at the time of his inclusion in Melee, Ganondorf was also just a one-off character.

Being a fairly unimportant recurring character has never landed anyone a spot in Smash before. Zelda itself is a franchise that's broken the mythical "one shot" character rule. 4 times.

Starlight_Lily

I haven't played Skyward Sword yet but I'm aware of her role in the game.
Yeah, but do you know about the twist at the end of the game involving Impa. I put it in the spoiler in case you don't know, and don't wish to know, but if don't care about it then look, but if you already know then no harm done

Turns out she was guiding Link and Zelda, just young Impa guided Zelda, while Old Impa guided Link

She also has some really plot important stuff in Ocarina of Time, she has slightly more plot important stuff then the other sages, since she is the one pretty much enabled Shiek to do what she needs, plus there is her whole keeping Zelda away from Ganondorf to start with.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

I understand the point you're going for:
Sheik is a one-off, but has significant popularity/importance due to being a main character in one of the most well-received/ground-breaking/best-selling/influential games of all time (and has Smash popularity), while Impa doesn't hold a candle to her because she's not as important in said game/popular.

.....but you could literally play the entirety of Fire Emblem Awakening and never even see Donnel. You could beat the entire story and not know he exists.

Maybe Lissa or Emmeryn is a more accurate comparison? You're saying Impa is on the same level as like, Mido or King Zora. She's even a sage in the game Sheik is from.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I just can't see Impa as another Zelda rep, I'm sorry. I know it's been argued to death at this point, but Impa has hardly done anything in any Zelda game but spout exposition. Sheik is only really in because OoT boners, I concede to that, but even then I'd pick so many other characters before settling on her. Plus (correct me if I'm wrong), but isn't Hyrule Warriors, and to a much lesser extent Skyward Sword, the only instance where we have actually seen her fight? I mean she's the one who supposedly taught Zelda the way of the Shiekah in Ocarina, but we literally never see her until after you beat the Shadow Temple and she goes bye-bye into Sage-hood. Then again, we also never see Shiek really fight either.

Though it was certainly amusing to see her try huehueheuheuehuheu *shot*

But yeah just... I dunno. Thinking of a character that spans multiple games is tough, yet at the same time Impa would be the last character I'd ever pick as a general character. Tough to say, really. Though it would take a lot for me to be 100% opposed to a Smash character, so hey, if she somehow makes it then more power to you guys.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Great article Spazzy, I do think you could have talked more about her competition within Sega itself a little though. You mention it briefly at the end.

I understand the point you're going for:
Sheik is a one-off, but has significant popularity/importance due to being a main character in one of the most well-received/ground-breaking/best-selling/influential games of all time (and has Smash popularity), while Impa doesn't hold a candle to her because she's not as important in said game/popular.

.....but you could literally play the entirety of Fire Emblem Awakening and never even see Donnel. You could beat the entire story and not know he exists.

Maybe Lissa or Emmeryn is a more accurate comparison? You're saying Impa is on the same level as like, Mido or King Zora. She's even a sage in the game Sheik is from.
Yes those are probably better examples. Haven't played Awakening for a while, and Donnel was the first side character I could think of.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Being an important one shot character has never been a problem for any other franchise, see:

Roy, Lucina, Robin, Dark Pit, Rosalina, Lucas, Ness, Toon Link, Sheik, Young Link and obviously if he'd actually been promoted like the rest of the clones, Alph.

Hell at the time of his inclusion in Melee, Ganondorf was also just a one-off character.

Being a fairly unimportant recurring character has never landed anyone a spot in Smash before. Zelda itself is a franchise that's broken the mythical "one shot" character rule. 4 times.
Most of those characters you added were protagonist of their games and FE is a different beast where they rarely do a game in the same world/Kingdom. As for characters like Rosalina, she's similar to Impa to where they have major significance to their games. Impa is nowhere big as Rosalina but she's has some sort of influence in the games she's shown up in. Plus Zelda reps is a weird situation where it's characters are pretty much the same character

:4sheik:=:4zelda:
:4link::4tlink::younglinkmelee::linkmelee: are Links from different eras.

Zelda has a lot of problems with reps. It's not as bad as :4samus: where it's other characters are so minute to Samus or :4falcon: where that rep is probably more popular than the franchise itself.

And calling Impa fairly unimportant shows that's you're barely a Zelda fan and I'm not even the biggest Zelda fan and beaten around like 3 games in the series (ALTTP, LA and Oracles games). Impa has been around since Zelda 2 and has some sort of impact in the games from being a help for both Link and Zelda in OOT, SS, had some importance in the Oracles game (the BBW version of her) and recently became fairly popular due to Hyrule Warriors and what shot her up and you say that like its a bad thing

Starlight_Lily

Yeah your examples of one offs don't really work since Fire Emblem lives and breaths through the on off characters trope. Yeah some crossover into the other games, but effectively after the story off those FE games are done, we most likely won't ever see those characters again. And Mother changes protagonists every game, while every Zelda game the protagonist is Link.

I just can't see Impa as another Zelda rep, I'm sorry. I know it's been argued to death at this point, but Impa has hardly done anything in any Zelda game but spout exposition. Sheik is only really in because OoT boners, I concede to that, but even then I'd pick so many other characters before settling on her. Plus (correct me if I'm wrong), but isn't Hyrule Warriors, and to a much lesser extent Skyward Sword, the only instance where we have actually seen her fight? I mean she's the one who supposedly taught Zelda the way of the Shiekah in Ocarina, but we literally never see her until after you beat the Shadow Temple and she goes bye-bye into Sage-hood. Then again, we also never see Shiek really fight either.

Though it was certainly amusing to see her try huehueheuheuehuheu *shot*

But yeah just... I dunno. Thinking of a character that spans multiple games is tough, yet at the same time Impa would be the last character I'd ever pick as a general character. Tough to say, really. Though it would take a lot for me to be 100% opposed to a Smash character, so hey, if she somehow makes it then more power to you guys.
And all Sheik ever does in Ocarina of Time is spout expostion, at least in Skyward Sword, we actually see Impa try to protect Zelda

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Yes those are probably better examples. Haven't played Awakening for a while, and Donnel was the first side character I could think of.
:)
Fair enough.

I would still pick Tetra before picking Impa, personally. A pirate-based moveset (bomb arrows, cannons, grappling hook?, etc.) sounds really fun to me. Hyrule Warriors should be pretty awesome in that regard. Skyward Sword Impa with quick, weak standard attacks and possibly somewhat defensive magic-based specials also piques my interest.

If I was Sakurai, I would totally throw in Toon Zelda as a semi-clone if I didn't pick either of the above. Toon Link having a toon companion would be great.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

And calling Impa fairly unimportant shows that's you're barely a Zelda fan and I'm not even the biggest Zelda fan and beaten around like 3 games in the series (ALTTP, LA and Oracles games). Impa has been around since Zelda 2 and has some sort of impact in the games from being a help for both Link and Zelda in OOT, SS, had some importance in the Oracles game (the BBW version of her) and recently became fairly popular due to Hyrule Warriors and what shot her up and you say that like its a bad thing
Actually dude, Impa has been around since the original Legend of Zelda, just look at the prologue in the manual, she's there, just like how she is in The Adventure of Link's manual, still easy mistake to make, no harm done.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
:4darkpit::4lucina: are better as alts
I'm not sure what Dark Pit and Lucina have to do with anything. They didn't really "replace" anybody.

I'm glad they were made into clones rather than alternate costumes. My only real complaint about them is that Alph didn't get the same treatment.

If you use the manual as a source, then Eggman is a feminist and quite a nice guy
Who's to say he's not truly a feminist? You can be a villain and a feminist, the two aren't contradictory.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

:)
Fair enough.

I would still pick Tetra before picking Impa, personally. A pirate-based moveset (bomb arrows, cannons, grappling hook?, etc.) sounds really fun to me. Hyrule Warriors should be pretty awesome in that regard. Skyward Sword Impa with quick, weak standard attacks and possibly somewhat defensive magic-based specials also piques my interest.

If I was Sakurai, I would totally throw in Toon Zelda as a semi-clone if I didn't pick either of the above. Toon Link having a toon companion would be great.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a moveset based of the Shadow Temple for Impa, since that would fit with the whole Ninja aesthetic the Sheikah have going, plus it would move her further away from possibly being a Sheik clone.

I would rather have Toon-Zelda have her moveset based around the phantoms she summons in Spirit Tracks. Unless by semi-lone you meant her and Zelda having similar a-moves, but have her specials be all the different phantoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom