• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey yet ANOTHER theory about getting custom moves faster
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3c7x5i/i_think_i_figured_out_how_to_get_specific_custom/

OP said:
TL;DR - I think that what custom moves you get is linked to what character you're playing as AND what moves you use while playing that character.

So, I was looking through what custom moves I still needed to unlock, and noticed that I was missing at least 1 "counter" type move on almost everyone with a counter type move (Lucina, Little Mac, Shulk, etc). I almost never use counters in battle, and I wondered if there was a correlation there. So I conducted a test:

1) Lucina - Customs missing: Effortless Blade, Iai Counter

I went into All-Star mode on hard and just spammed the **** out of Counter for the first two stages. I ended up dying on round 2, but went back in and spammed it a bit less. I ended up getting Iai Counter after stage 3. Then, I did the same with Dancing Blade, and got Effortless Blade after stage 4 of my first run of spamming it.

2) Zelda - Customs missing: Farore's Squall, Din's Flare

This was my control group. I went in, and just played Zelda as I normally would (which is to say, not a lot of Farore's Wind or Din's Fire). I beat All-Star on hard, and got 2 Zelda customs that I already had. I did this again, and got 1 Zelda custom I already had. The third time, I spammed the hell out of Farore's Wind, and got Farore's Squall after stage 3. I was then able to get Din's Flare on a second run of hard All-Star after stage 2 by spamming Din's Fire.

It seems that if you want a specific custom move on a character, you can get it REALLY quickly by spamming the hell out of that "move slot" in All-Star mode on hard. This is great for people like me, who are missing 1 or 2 custom moves on a bunch of characters. I'm not sure if this works in other modes, but I'm pretty sure it does.
a comment with no backup said:
just tried it out, I think it might depend on which move you kill with the most. I played it a couple times as luigi, spamming fireball a ton and mostly killing with smashes and down b, and I got a down b custom.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I NEVER play Bowser Jr and I got all his customs
I played all of Ike and rarely use counter and got all of his. Same with Little Mac

I got all of Robin's custom moves for Nosferatu and I never use that move

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah Melee and Brawl are pretty ugly.

Though in Melee's defense, it was an early GC title.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Clearly, everyone gave up after the Rayman leak
After the Rayman leak?

More like after the ESRB leak. Every leak after that one has been utterly atrocious. The Rayman one was the only good one since then, and even that wasn't fully believable.

I mean, let's not forget the endless flood of crappy CSS photoshops with the 50 Facts Mewtwo model, pictures of characters like Lucas and Wolf from Brawl mods, and the same Isaac and K. Rool renders a billion times.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah Melee and Brawl are pretty ugly.

Though in Melee's defense, it was an early GC title.

Melee has a decent artstyle which aged despite how crappy the models are.

Brawl looks like hell and crap due to its gritty artstyle. Yet certain characters like :marth::ike::falcon::snake::zerosuitsamus: look passable but not decent.

:sonic::pit:&:dedede: looked the worst

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Melee has a decent artstyle which aged despite how crappy the models are.

Brawl looks like hell and crap due to its gritty artstyle. Yet certain characters like :marth::ike::falcon::snake::zerosuitsamus: look passable but not decent.

:sonic::pit:&:dedede: looked the worst
Ehhh, Melee had its share of ugly models, too.

Like Yoshi, in particular, who looks pretty awful.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
In terms of visuals Smash Wii U is gonna age the best easily, considering the high quality models and good artstyle.

D

Deleted member

After the Rayman leak?

More like after the ESRB leak. Every leak after that one has been utterly atrocious. The Rayman one was the only good one since then, and even that wasn't fully believable.

I mean, let's not forget the endless flood of crappy CSS photoshops with the 50 Facts Mewtwo model, pictures of characters like Lucas and Wolf from Brawl mods, and the same Isaac and K. Rool renders a billion times.
I meant that they don't even try anymore because no matter how good it is, no one is going to believe it considering how good the Rayman leak looked

Burb

The Absolute Worst
On the subject of bad models....

Peach always looks really off to me in Smash games. Even in SSB4, which is especially strange, since Rosalina looks exactly like she does in the Mario series, just with a more detailed gown.

She's not quite as bad in SSB4 as she was in Brawl and Melee, but she still doesn't look like herself....

I meant that they don't even try anymore because no matter how good it is, no one is going to believe it considering how good the Rayman leak looked
I know what you meant, and replied as such.

The same was the case after the ESRB leak. There hasn't been a dip in quality between post-ESRB leaks and post-Rayman ones. They're all really crappy photoshops of menus.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
i just remembered the "theory" based on this that balloon fight would be in ssb4

like, balloon fight

Burb

The Absolute Worst
3DS visuals are going to turn out to be ugly just like Brawl's.
The main issue with Brawl's, in my opinion, was that gritty realistic style it was going for. It just felt wrong with most of the franchises represented.

SSB3DS is much more vibrant. Obviously it's never going to be praised for its graphics, but I don't think it's ever gonna be brought up as being unappealing artistically like Brawl is.

i just remembered the "theory" based on this that balloon fight would be in ssb4

like, balloon fight
Eh.....I think Balloon Fighter would've made a decent retro character, to be perfectly honest.

It was very silly to expect him after the Villager was shown to have his entire premise as an Up B, but still.

Had the stage been revealed first and Villager's Up B not been known at that point, I think he probably would've been viewed as a frontrunner.

Last edited:

Soul.

The main issue with Brawl's, in my opinion, was that gritty realistic style it was going for. It just felt wrong with most of the franchises represented.

SSB3DS is much more vibrant. Obviously it's never going to be praised for its graphics, but I don't think it's ever gonna be brought up as being unappealing artistically like Brawl is.
Yeah, obviously I was kidding, hence the Kappa emote. Smash 3DS looks better than Brawl, but in all honesty I don't mind the graphics. Brawl didn't need the realistic spice. They could have made it a bit brighter or something.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I thought Melee's graphics looks fine, it just doesn't look that good on LCD. But under CRT, the game actually looks pretty good! It made a huge difference.

Brawl's is better than Melee's in terms of technical visuals (as in higher polygons, better texture resolution, etc), but its art style was so drab that it made the game an eyesore.

SSB3DS has very nice colorful visuals. I kinda prefer it over the Wii U, despite Wii U being HD and all. If Wii U had 3DS's color pallete, I'd be very happy with the Wii U's art direction. As of now, something about it feels kinda... dullish in areas.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah, I don't think Brawl was completely ugly. It's the most bland in that regard, but Melee's graphics were bad in some areas, and SSB64's were pretty horrible for a late-era N64 game (though it has a good excuse, being low budget and all).

I actually like Ike's Brawl model better than his SSB4 one.

Brawl's is better than Melee's in terms of technical visuals (as in high polygons, better texture solution, etc), but its art style was so drab that it made the game an eyesore.
That's a very good way of putting it, and I agree.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Donkey Kong in Smash 64 is a beauty

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Brawl's art style worked for some aspects, but in general it felt...meh.

Even Project M is more colorful. Granted, that was because they brought back stages and added better palette swaps but still.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
On the subject of horrible fake leaks from earlier.....

Anyone remember this one?

So so bad.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
On the subject of horrible fake leaks from earlier.....

Anyone remember this one?

So so bad.
The story to it made no sense too!

"Someone I know from IGN received an incomplete DLC demo from Nintendo and gave me this!"

lol

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Remember the Palutena fake leak?

Has anyone did a side-by-side difference with Real :4palutena: and the fake leak one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom