• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Actually, isn't Sonic the only franchise with playable characters that didn't get a remix?
it is, but it doesn't have a net loss in an already minimal music selection

also that one remix is the aforementioned japan-only song

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
As pretty much a few of the sane fans left, the franchise's biggest asset was its music and most of its music aside from Lost World were mostly butchered vocal tracks with 2/3's of their songs still missing, zero new remixes (I think like 3 of those DK songs were new remixes)

From how his moveset goes, look how much detail most third party characters (:4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::snake:) and compare them to Sonic where :4sonic: where outside of his speed, his moveset is mostly made up from the ground up and it's detail is 2 moves being the goddamn same, Sonic Rocket from Battle (his down air) and his down throw from Sonic the Fighters and don't get me started on the alts (I don't care about Sega influence, atleast try with it)

I ain't saying Sakurai hates Sonic but it feels like he doesn't have that detail and feel just mesh together. DK has that detail and better stuff compared to Sonic.
We are working on a GDC slide translation. Has some information about Sonics design choice, but probably not enough to make any Sonic fan really happy. Basically, with Sonic and Snake Sakurai made up additional moves that he felt went with that character or company. For example Sonics A combo is actually a common combination in Virtual Fighter. Sakurai made up Sonics down aerial. I think another issue is that Sonic was the last character designed, and in the middle of a hellish production cycle. Under better circumstances, Sonic might have been more fleshed out.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
To amend the above (mis)conceptions, Sakurai "hates" :4wario2: (Land vs Ware) and "modern" Kirby (games he didn't work on).

Meanwhile the Metroid/DK people actually care about keep getting shafted in favor of "Metroid = Lava/Prime doesn't exist" and "generic jungle level and cutting Lanky/Chunky from the rap"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
it is, but it doesn't have a net loss in an already minimal music selection

also that one remix is the aforementioned japan-only song
I was just curious about Sonicbeing the only one without remixes, I feel like Metroid, DK and Kirby lack variety in music, Metroid has so many themes that just aren't used, DK has 7 versions of the same song and Kirby's modern games have next to no music despite fans constantly praising the soundtrack of the new games

Khoru

Smash Champion
To amend the above (mis)conceptions, Sakurai "hates" :4wario2: (Land vs Ware) and "modern" Kirby (games he didn't work on).

Meanwhile the Metroid/DK people actually care about keep getting shafted in favor of "Metroid = Lava/Prime doesn't exist" and "generic jungle level and cutting Lanky/Chunky from the rap"
what is this meant to accomplish?
I was just curious about Sonicbeing the only one without remixes, I feel like Metroid, DK and Kirby lack variety in music, Metroid has so many themes that just aren't used, DK has 7 versions of the same song and Kirby's modern games have next to no music despite fans constantly praising the soundtrack of the new games
oh yeah, they're all badly treated.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I see both having potential merits and dermits. But as @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, I don't think both are likely.

Would it shock you if I said I never owned a Rhythm Heaven? It's true! Im legally tone death so it's a difficult game for me to play. However, I adore Ko Takeuchi's designs.
I don't think that's such a bad thing, I will admit that when they posted that 2nd Gematsu list that had Shulk, Chrom, Palutena etc on it, the Chorus Men were by far the most intriguing idea to me.

There's nothing wrong with both, but people doubt Sakurai wouod add both characters as DLC considering how he treats the franchise in smash
I'm not necessarily speaking about in terms of DLC, obviously having 2 newcomers from the same franchise as DLC is probably not going to happen. But even before the game came out people would always say Dixie or K. Rool, like they have to pick one and whichever one got picked, the other one couldn't be picked.

rhythm heaven is probably the most deserving series to get the... "full franchise" treatment

other than castlevania and final fantasy but
Chibi Robo is probably just as deserving. But if you're including 3rd Party then Rayman and BK (and arguably Spyro) have got to be up there.

Aimed at everyone? Excluding veterans.

K Rool
Isaac
Chibi Robo
Team Rocket/Meowth
Sceptile
Paper Mario
Captain Toad
Dixie
Lip
Mach Rider/Excite Biker
Ray MK
Chorus Kids
Ridley
Andy/Sami/anyone who makes bases as a means of attack from Advanced Wars

Banjo Kazooie
Rayman
Bomberman
...and a ton more, thanks to Ryu.

I think everyones list is based on what they think COULD happen. For example, I think clones, taking less time, are inevitable. Cue Dixie and Impa, both deserving as well.
I really don't think I'd qualify Impa as deserving, I don't mind the character but I think a lot of her support has only risen because all the other non Link/non Zelda/non Ganon characters are ATs.

I'd honestly say that Tetra/Toon Zelda would be the next in line for a Zelda newcomer IF we were to get a new Zelda character as DLC.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

>Prime doesn't exist

>2 Metroid Prime stages in Brawl and a returning one in Smash 4, Samus other Alt colors are from the Prime games (Dark Suit, Light Suit and Datk Samus)
>Dark Samus AT
>a few reoccurring Prime songs including Meta Ridley
>a ton of Prime trophies
I can understand the lava issue but Prime get represented well considering Sakurai had to pretty much go by recent games for source material and couldn't ignore Other M despite the hate and backlash of the game.

In a sense that true for all 3 franchises but Metroid and Kirby gets some newer songs as well as DK it's just the worst outlast the best. It can't be worst than Xenoblade with its zero remixes aside from the small Gaur Plains cover in the Xenoblade Chronicles Melody (although that's due to the fact that Xenoblade has God-tier music that you can't perfect on)

D

Deleted member

You guys do realize that Sakurai isn't the only person that worked in Smash, right?
He gave freedom to all composers to choose and remix the tracks they wanted, while non-remixes were probably added to fill up the rest of the music selection.
Also, it's pretty likely Sakurai is the only one that chooses the characters/stages, staff members probably made a lot of suggestions and helped to decide what to prioritize.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You guys do realize that Sakurai isn't the only person that worked in Smash, right?
He gave freedom to all composers to choose and remix the tracks they wanted, while non-remixes were probably added to fill up the rest of the music selection.
Also, it's pretty likely Sakurai is the only one that chooses the characters/stages, staff members probably made a lot of suggestions and helped to decide what to prioritize.
Didn't Sakurai say something about music a while ago?
>Prime doesn't exist

>2 Metroid Prime stages in Brawl and a returning one in Smash 4, Samus other Alt colors are from the Prime games (Dark Suit, Light Suit and Datk Samus)
>Dark Samus AT
>a ton of Prime trophies
I can understand the lava issue but Prime get represented well considering Sakurai had to pretty much go by recent games for source material and couldn't ignore Other M despite the hate and backlash of the game.

In a sense that true for all 3 franchises but Metroid and Kirby gets some newer songs as well as DK it's just the worst outlast the best. It can't be worst than Xenoblade with its zero remixes aside from the small Gaur Plains cover in the Xenoblade Chronicles Melody (although that's due to the fact that Xenoblade has God-tier music that you can't perfect on)
Er, one of those stages from Brawl was cut, along with all trophies for Prime other than Dark Samus. Reoccuring themes? Parasite Queen is one of the tracks from Prime. If he can give Kirby Triple Deluxe a whopping 2 songs, one of which being on a DLC stage, he can ignore Other M
Engage the Enemy got remixed in the medley too,

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what second/third party is hardest to work with. HAL, Game Freak, Namco, Capcom, SEGA, Intelligent Systems, Itoi or Monolithsoft.

Game Freak may be the winner as they wouldn't allow Pikachu Yoshis to be a thing.

Khoru

Smash Champion
>Prime doesn't exist

>Dark Samus AT
>a ton of Prime trophies
what? the only prime stage in smash is orpheon. the "ton of prime trophies" were brawl-only.
the criticism stems from there being four songs from the entire trilogy (one of which was removed in ssb4) and the stage being based on one of the least notable locations from the series, with every other stage being a cave with lava or acid.
i don't think anyone honestly expected no other m stuff, but there's more in ssb4 from hunters than corruption

Khoru

Smash Champion
Rhundas, Omega Ridley, Bryoo, Dark Samus themes? Nope, instead we get a ****ty track from a game that's not that well received, not even a remix not the most well known theme from the game! Seriously, the only notable theme from Hunters was...Well, Sylux's theme!
eh, the intro theme would've been okay
i can't remember what sylux's theme sounds like tbh

i have this huge folder that's just like "music for ssb5"

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
On the topic of music content, but I hate to be bias but damn, :4littlemac: got short end of the stick with songs. I know the series music isn't a big note but damn 3 different versions of the Fight theme and one Jogging Remix was sort of small.

That and the rest of his stage was mostly songs that really didn't make any sense being there. I would use his stage for non-Mario Sports games like Waverace, 1080 Snowboarding and their NES sports games including NES Wrestling

Khoru

Smash Champion
On the topic of music content, but I hate to be bias but damn, :4littlemac: got short end of the stick with songs. I know the series music isn't a big note but damn 3 different versions of the Fight theme and one Jogging Remix was sort of small.

That and the rest of his stage was mostly songs that really didn't make any sense being there. I would use his stage for non-Mario Sports games like Waverace, 1080 Snowboarding and their NES sports games including NES Wrestling
it also got the punch-out wii title theme! not invalidating your point or anything though
a joy mech fight medley would've been hype as ****
Speaking of Metroid and music, I'm still pissed Nightmare's theme didn't get a remix in Other M
SAME

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
it also got the punch-out wii title theme! not invalidating your point or anything though
a joy mech fight medley would've been hype as ****

SAME
Joy Mech Fight? I'd certainly be happy to see little Sukapon be playable. Musicwise? I need to hear it

Instead of using a glorious orchestral remix, they use one of the only 2 themes that aren't forgetable. Harmony of a Hunter showed how well that could have worked, ****, Nightmare was shoehorned in Other M for no reason!

Khoru

Smash Champion
Joy Mech Fight? I'd certainly be happy to see little Sukapon be playable. Musicwise? I need to hear it

Instead of using a glorious orchestral remix, they use one of the only 2 themes that aren't forgetable. Harmony of a Hunter showed how well that could have worked, ****, Nightmare was shoehorned in Other M for no reason!
sukapon would probably be better as an AT if anything, considering obscurity
it's kind of hard to pick specific JMF songs out, but the same could be said for shin onigashima
have they announced any plans for another harmony project? i have the existing four albums

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
sukapon would probably be better as an AT if anything, considering obscurity
it's kind of hard to pick specific JMF songs out, but the same could be said for shin onigashima
have they announced any plans for another harmony project? i have the existing four albums
That's true, especially how he was an item at one point in Melee.
That applies to all NES games
As far as I know, they haven't

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
An item that your character could ride.

Man, I really want to see a video of that!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wonder what second/third party is hardest to work with. HAL, Game Freak, Namco, Capcom, SEGA, Intelligent Systems, Itoi or Monolithsoft.

Game Freak may be the winner as they wouldn't allow Pikachu Yoshis to be a thing.
Easily game freak. I think Sakurai has even stated that in the past, but don't quote me on that. Also I'm pretty sure Monolith is fully owned by Nintendo, and since they have helped with several first party titles including Brawl, they are probably very easy to work with.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Game Freak is probably the worst. I like to believe they were the reason :4mewtwo: wasn't in the initial starting rosters.

Sega was probably the second worst while Capcom and IS were very easy to work and Itoi depends on the situation

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Er, I thought it was the other way around, that Sakurai choses the pokemon
He does but I feel like GF have some type of inference somehow with the roster. Not that they were keeping Mewtwo out but something was holding him back and becoming a late addition

Burb

The Absolute Worst
>Prime doesn't exist

As others mentioned, there was only one Prime stage in Brawl, and it's the one that didn't return in SSB4 (Frigate Orpheon).

Norfair is from the original Metroid and Super Metroid.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If I'm not mistaken, we only got directs in such a short period of time if at least one of them was a special direct, like a direct mini or a direct focused on one specific game, like the Splatoon direct.

The "big" directs were always rather long apart.

In 2014, we only got 3 "big directs":
One in February, one in June (E3), and one in November. (Smash directs being in April and October*)
In 2015, we got 3 already:
One in January, one in April, and now the "big" E3 Digital Event.

So, since 2014, the smallest period of time between two "big" directs was 2 months.

*Note: Duck Hunt was shown only one moth after Bowser Jr., with Duck Hunt being revealed in a Smash direct.
At least, in this case it's justified because the game was already released, they probably had to show them as soon as possible.
So the only way I could see a character being announced in a direct before August is in a Smash direct, but I really don't see it happen in the near future... Since the last one was just half a month ago.

Even though we've seen the Inkling Mii costumes first in the Splatoon direct, I highly doubt they would announce a character in one of the specific directs...
As pretty much a few of the sane fans left, the franchise's biggest asset was its music and most of its music aside from Lost World were mostly butchered vocal tracks with 2/3's of their songs still missing, zero new remixes (I think like 3 of those DK songs were new remixes)

From how his moveset goes, look how much detail most third party characters (:4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::snake:) and compare them to Sonic where :4sonic: where outside of his speed, his moveset is mostly made up from the ground up and it's detail is 2 moves being the goddamn same, Sonic Rocket from Battle (his down air) and his down throw from Sonic the Fighters and don't get me started on the alts (I don't care about Sega influence, atleast try with it)

I ain't saying Sakurai hates Sonic but it feels like he doesn't have that detail and feel just mesh together. DK has that detail and better stuff compared to Sonic.
I don't see Sonic as lacking detail. All characters added in smash4 have more specificity overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom