• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fooling the eyes is significantly easier than fooling the ears.
Editing sound is significantly easier than editing photos; particularly of a recording of a recording. All elements of soundwaves can be adjusted, and more specifically, we have very little context for the source of this.

But dismiss it immediately if you want. Seems ridiculous for a leak group to just scoff at something interesting because they do not understand it.

Not really. It's much harder to fake someones voice for 70 seconds than edit a photo.

The guy says in the video 'head to smashbrothers.com' - that's not actually the site, it's smashbros.com and the President of Nintendo would ensure he is clear on little facts like that.

He also can't even pronounce Sakurai properly. Mr. Sack-oo-righ.

It's not too bad for the first 5 seconds, but he loses it towards the end.

There's a moment where the volume of the music in the background jumps up but the volume of the vocals do not. That would not happen unless he is controlling the audio as he is recording it.
I've been searching for where he says Sakurai in other videos; many sounds are clipped when non natives speak English. Such as with character- he pronounces it strangely, but the clip pronounces two of the vowel sounds of 'character' the same way that Iwata does.

If the sound jump you are referring to is at about 40 seconds, then it seems to me this is an edit; meaning, it is a jump from one part of a conversation to another, as in a new paragraph. The tonality changes as well, and it is possible that this is all that is happening.

The website is an issue- but that doesnt mean it isnt the real voice clip. Ness's shirt, Little Mac, we have lots of things which could seem off in the past but were not. For all we know this was a mistake he made, and they refilmed it. Again, having no idea what the context is for this makes it tricky.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Warning Received
I got more

-wall of image spam removed-

Palutena won't save ya now.

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Btw, with the K. Rool "leak" (Fake Iwata voice clip):
It's fake, he doesn't pronounce "Sakurai" correctly. You can compare:
to the audio:
56 and 24 seconds.
The impersonator doesn't know Japanese.

On top of the bad impersonation(the voice and pacing sounds different), I think that's the biggest point that shows that it's 100% fake.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
to the audio:
56 and 24 seconds.

On top of the bad impersonation(the voice and pacing sounds different), I think that's the biggest point that shows that it's 100% fake.
Pacing actually sounds correct to me; the awkward parts are ones Iwata has made in the past.
The Sakurai vocal is what I was looking for, and with a Japanese speaker knowing the context.

But the pronunciation of Sakurai could have been clipped. Im not fully convinced yet.
Its unlikely its real, but I dont think that makes it a fake. Iwata takes an enormous pause in the video above after saying Sakurai's name, and does not in the clip.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
to the audio:
56 and 24 seconds.

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 8.17.42 pm.png

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Pacing actually sounds correct to me; the awkward parts are ones Iwata has made in the past.
The Sakurai vocal is what I was looking for, and with a Japanese speaker knowing the context.

But the pronunciation of Sakurai could have been clipped. Im not fully convinced yet.
Its unlikely its real, but I dont think that makes it a fake. Iwata takes an enormous pause in the video above after saying Sakurai's name, and does not in the clip.
I'm around native Japanese speakers who are attempting to speak English everyday. It's not about clipping Sakurai's name. It's the way the guy says it. He says it with a lot more of a stress than how Iwata and other native Japanese speakers would pronounce it. It might be difficult to hear if you aren't used the the Japanese "r" sounds. The guy in the "leak" doesn't speak Japanese, I can guarantee that. If I'm wrong I will change my avatar to anything you want @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon for two weeks. If it's unlikely to be real, then that means it's fake.

Also, I go the K.K. Slider hat/costume. It's cute :3.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I'm around native Japanese speakers who are attempting to speak English everyday. It's not about clipping Sakurai's name. It's the way the guy says it. He says it with a lot more of a stress than how Iwata and other native Japanese speakers would pronounce it. It might be difficult to hear if you aren't used the the Japanese "r" sounds. The guy in the "leak" doesn't speak Japanese, I can guarantee that. If I'm wrong I will change my avatar to anything you want @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon for two weeks. If it's unlikely to be real, then that means it's fake.

That should be your mascot :p

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Inb4 Sakurai makes all the top ballot choices mii costumes

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That should be your mascot :p
The nerdy guy (me) in a K.K. Slider outfit?

Speaking of mascots, for Halloween last year I was this guy:
(People loved it!)

I was going to post a picture of this guy every Tuesday (His name is Tobidashi-kun とび太くん). So it was going to be Tobidashi-Tuesday! Personally, I think it's so ridiculous, that it's funny. In parts of Japan (Mainly Shiga/ Kansai), they have they guy posted on sides of the road in order to remind drivers to drive slowly in case kids jump out (tobidashi in Japanese!). Whenever I drive, I always remember where these guys are so they no longer affect me. There's a lot of remixes of this guy. Once I ended up in a town full of him...it was creepy :).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

What qualifies being wrong, KKR being added?

I dont think it is real, but this:
If it's unlikely to be real, then that means it's fake

Is without a doubt wrong. Nearly every good leak seemed to be fake by many standards.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What qualifies being wrong, KKR being added?

I dont think it is real, but this:
Is without a doubt wrong. Nearly every good leak seemed to be fake by many standards.
It's wrong because it's doesn't sound Iwata, and the guy doesn't speak Japanese. I thought I was pretty clear about that. If it sounded legit, then I would be behind it, regardless of what character it is. Personally, I believe/ kind of expect KKR to be added through the ballot. He's had the strongest support as far as I can tell.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You also have to ask why the hell would a Direct already be taped when E3 was like three weeks ago?

We shouldn't expect any Smash announcements until at least mid-late August. Iwata would not have recorded a Direct that far in advance.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn I just realized something: I don't believe you've ever said who you want to see playable, the only character I recall you talking about is how you don't want Ridley
I wrote a post :3

Generally, I really like idea of characters from one-series, that have a lot of potential. However, I'm pretty realistic in knowing that most of these guys will never make it into Smash. I still "support" them though.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
My god. The Splatfest music.
It's amazing. I want it to get in Smash. Even if the Inklings can't.
A Smash Stage that functioned similar to Smashville would also be cool.
During the regular songs you have a bunch of Inklings in the background like the Hub World with Paint scattered over thee place.
And if you get the Splatfest songs it's night time and the squid sisters are dancing just as they do during Splatfest :3

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You also have to ask why the hell would a Direct already be taped when E3 was like three weeks ago?

We shouldn't expect any Smash announcements until at least mid-late August. Iwata would not have recorded a Direct that far in advance.
We have also gotten directs within two weeks of each other...

I merely suggest that logic and precedence contradict, and arbitrary dismissal, particularly on a thread DEDICATED to this assessment, makes this thread moot.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I wrote a post :3

Generally, I really like idea of characters from one-series, that have a lot of potential. However, I'm pretty realistic in knowing that most of these guys will never make it into Smash. I still "support" them though.
I knew Chorus Men would be there!!

This isn't just aimed at you but I always see people say Dixie or K. Rool, what's wrong with both? Putting aside my bias, they're both all-stars with unique moveset potential, and DK can easily warrant 4 characters (at least).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I merely suggest that logic and precedence contradict, and arbitrary dismissal, particularly on a thread DEDICATED to this assessment, makes this thread moot.
Those directs are usually specifically for certain games, ever since Rosalina's trailrr we've gotten Smash info outside of the January Direct in the bimonthly Directs.

This isn't just aimed at you but I always see people say Dixie or K. Rool, what's wrong with both? Putting aside my bias, they're both all-stars with unique moveset potential, and DK can easily warrant 4 characters (at least).
There's nothing wrong with both, but people doubt Sakurai wouod add both characters as DLC considering how he treats the franchise in smash

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I see both having potential merits and dermits. But as @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, I don't think both are likely.

Would it shock you if I said I never owned a Rhythm Heaven? It's true! Im legally tone death so it's a difficult game for me to play. However, I adore Ko Takeuchi's designs.

Khoru

Smash Champion
rhythm heaven is probably the most deserving series to get the... "full franchise" treatment

other than castlevania and final fantasy but

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Those directs are usually specifically for certain games, ever since Rosalina's trailrr we've gotten Smash info outside of the January Direct in the bimonthly Directs.

There's nothing wrong with both, but people doubt Sakurai wouod add both characters as DLC considering how he treats the franchise in smash
We have gotten smash info in a number of ways. That said, yes we have directs toward the specific games, but they are still directs. I just think "Nintendo precedent" is the weakest of arguments, considering they are the company of innovation and surprise. They literally will do something just for shock value, which means everything is fair game as a potential.

I see both having potential merits and dermits. But as @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, I don't think both are likely.

Would it shock you if I said I never owned a Rhythm Heaven? It's true! Im legally tone death so it's a difficult game for me to play. However, I adore Ko Takeuchi's designs.
Tone and rhythm are both musical, but have nothing to do with one another....
I want you to play the games. They are so fun!!!!! Do not hinder yourself, you can do it if you can do Wario Ware.

Aimed at everyone? Excluding veterans.

K Rool
Isaac
Chibi Robo
Team Rocket/Meowth
Sceptile
Paper Mario
Captain Toad
Dixie
Lip
Mach Rider/Excite Biker
Ray MK
Chorus Kids
Ridley
Andy/Sami/anyone who makes bases as a means of attack from Advanced Wars

Banjo Kazooie
Rayman
Bomberman
...and a ton more, thanks to Ryu.

I think everyones list is based on what they think COULD happen. For example, I think clones, taking less time, are inevitable. Cue Dixie and Impa, both deserving as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Considering fans like interpreted that Sakurai hates certain franchises, you really have to see that look in their eyes.

I mean to them, Sakurai hates :4dk::4samus:&:4wario: but loves :4kirby::4pit:&:4marth:. To me that mostly a Nintendo problem than a Sakurai problem especially with DK which Sakurai barely has a lot for work with for reps considering their appearances (Last Dixie appearance was Barrel Blast before TF and K. Rool was ignored for Retro wanting to do the usual boring Mario formula).

If Sakurai truly hated them then their representation would have been just as bad or even worst than :4sonic: where it gets jack all for new content and its stuff is mostly rehashed from hell to back (I rather take 6 more Jungle Japes remixes than more butchered vocal tracks and zero remixes)

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
If I'm not mistaken, we only got directs in such a short period of time if at least one of them was a special direct, like a direct mini or a direct focused on one specific game, like the Splatoon direct.

The "big" directs were always rather long apart.

In 2014, we only got 3 "big directs":
One in February, one in June (E3), and one in November. (Smash directs being in April and October*)
In 2015, we got 3 already:
One in January, one in April, and now the "big" E3 Digital Event.

So, since 2014, the smallest period of time between two "big" directs was 2 months.

*Note: Duck Hunt was shown only one moth after Bowser Jr., with Duck Hunt being revealed in a Smash direct.
At least, in this case it's justified because the game was already released, they probably had to show them as soon as possible.
So the only way I could see a character being announced in a direct before August is in a Smash direct, but I really don't see it happen in the near future... Since the last one was just half a month ago.

Even though we've seen the Inkling Mii costumes first in the Splatoon direct, I highly doubt they would announce a character in one of the specific directs...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Considering fans like interpreted that Sakurai hates certain franchises, you really have to see that look in their eyes.

I mean to them, Sakurai hates :4dk::4samus:&:4wario: but loves :4kirby::4pit:&:4marth:. To me that mostly a Nintendo problem than a Sakurai problem especially with DK which Sakurai barely has a lot for work with for reps considering their appearances (Last Dixie appearance was Barrel Blast before TF and K. Rool was ignored for Retro wanting to do the usual boring Mario formula).

If Sakurai truly hated them then their representation would have been just as bad or even worst than :4sonic: where it gets jack all for new content and its stuff is mostly rehashed from hell to back (I rather take 6 more Jungle Japes remixes than more butchered vocal tracks and zero remixes)
DK literally has 7 versions of te same song iirc. That's one of the reasons people claim Sakurai hates it
We have gotten smash info in a number of ways. That said, yes we have directs toward the specific games, but they are still directs. I just think "Nintendo precedent" is the weakest of arguments, considering they are the company of innovation and surprise. They literally will do something just for shock value, which means everything is fair game as a potential.

Tone and rhythm are both musical, but have nothing to do with one another....
I want you to play the games. They are so fun!!!!! Do not hinder yourself, you can do it if you can do Wario Ware.

Aimed at everyone? Excluding veterans.

K Rool
Isaac
Chibi Robo
Team Rocket/Meowth
Sceptile
Paper Mario
Captain Toad
Dixie
Lip
Mach Rider/Excite Biker
Ray MK
Chorus Kids
Ridley
Andy/Sami/anyone who makes bases as a means of attack from Advanced Wars

Banjo Kazooie
Rayman
Bomberman
...and a ton more, thanks to Ryu.

I think everyones list is based on what they think COULD happen. For example, I think clones, taking less time, are inevitable. Cue Dixie and Impa, both deserving as well.
Except the only time we didn't get Smash info bimonthly was A: Pic of the day and B: Robin's trailer, both Smash Directs replaced the other bimonthly ones

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Wario and Kirby should not be up there; Wario is mostly seen as being misinterpretted, I think, and Kirby is often seen as just missing content which Sakurai did not work on. Ive never seen someone say, ever, "Too much Kirby love in Smash."

You pose that Sakurai hates Sonic... why?

If I'm not mistaken, we only got directs in such a short period of time if at least one of them was a special direct, like a direct mini or a direct focused on one specific game, like the Splatoon direct.

The "big" directs were always rather long apart.

In 2014, we only got 3 "big directs":
One in February, one in June (E3), and one in November. (Smash directs being in April and October*)
In 2015, we got 3 already:
One in January, one in April, and now the "big" E3 Digital Event.

So, since 2014, the smallest period of time between two "big" directs was 2 months.

*Note: Duck Hunt was shown only one moth after Bowser Jr., with Duck Hunt being revealed in a Smash direct.
At least, in this case it's justified because the game was already released, they probably had to show them as soon as possible.
So the only way I could see a character being announced in a direct before August is in a Smash direct, but I really don't see it happen in the near future... Since the last one was just half a month ago.

Even though we've seen the Inkling Mii costumes first in the Splatoon direct, I highly doubt they would announce a character in one of the specific directs...
I agree... but I think youve provided enough examples as to why "big" direct is unuseful. We have seen Smash content in many directs, and even had full Smash directs. I think, if anything, this shows that Nintendo does not really care about what 'rules' it sets.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
wario has two new songs and non-japanesr versions don't get one of them. two variatioms of two songs were removed, leading to... like six songs? i may be misremembering. the one previous reference to a non-warioware subseries was removed, with a song added.
there are a lot of sonic songs missing, but it's not nearly as bad as wario, here

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
wario has two new songs and non-japanesr versions don't get one of them. two variatioms of two songs were removed, leading to... like six songs? i may be misremembering. the one previous reference to a non-warioware subseries was removed, with a song added.
there are a lot of sonic songs missing, but it's not nearly as bad as wario, here
Actually, isn't Sonic the only franchise with playable characters that didn't get a remix?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Wario and Kirby should not be up there; Wario is mostly seen as being misinterpretted, I think, and Kirby is often seen as just missing content which Sakurai did not work on. Ive never seen someone say, ever, "Too much Kirby love in Smash."

You pose that Sakurai hates Sonic... why
As pretty much a few of the sane fans left, the franchise's biggest asset was its music and most of its music aside from Lost World were mostly butchered vocal tracks with 2/3's of their songs still missing, zero new remixes (I think like 3 of those DK songs were new remixes)

From how his moveset goes, look how much detail most third party characters (:4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::snake:) and compare them to Sonic where :4sonic: where outside of his speed, his moveset is mostly made up from the ground up and it's detail is 2 moves being the goddamn same, Sonic Rocket from Battle (his down air) and his down throw from Sonic the Fighters and don't get me started on the alts (I don't care about Sega influence, atleast try with it)

I ain't saying Sakurai hates Sonic but it feels like he doesn't have that detail and feel just mesh together. DK has that detail and better stuff compared to Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom