• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Still, didn't know she had a different design in GO but in Extella...

Nah, Altera is definitely the worst offender in this situation

In Grand Order, each character can get 3 Designs thanks to Ascension. The F/GO Altera shown was her Starting(Stage 1) Design while her Stage 2 Design is more similar to her Extella design. When it comes to characters, Grand Order is definitely hit or miss on the designs. But that's what you can get when you are having a slew of different artists draw the characters for you.
You can have characters who have good designs all-around, you can have characters who have a good Starting design, but a yucky Stage 3 Design(looking at you, Berserker Tamomo), than you have characters who have a horrid Starting design, but very good Stage 3 design(looking at you too, Boudica). The same applies to some Stage 2 skins.
Luckily, Grand Order allows you to choose which design you want to see and use at any time and they are adding costumes into the game at some point, which is good cause then I'd have to put up with looking at a character in a frickin' naked apron every battle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is this demon girl that has the body of a little girl wearing nothing at all
Oh, you mean Elizabeth? Yeah, her design is... eck.
But her sweater costume actually looks nice and the Corroded form makes it look like clothing.
In Grand Order, each character can get 3 Designs thanks to Ascension. The F/GO Altera shown was her Starting(Stage 1) Design while her Stage 2 Design is more similar to her Extella design. When it comes to characters, Grand Order is definitely hit or miss on the designs. But that's what you can get when you are having a slew of different artists draw the characters for you.
You can have characters who have good designs all-around, you can have characters who have a good Starting design, but a yucky Stage 3 Design(looking at you, Berserker Tamomo), than you have characters who have a horrid Starting design, but very good Stage 3 design(looking at you too, Boudica). The same applies to some Stage 2 skins.
Luckily, Grand Order allows you to choose which design you want to see and use at any time and they are adding costumes into the game at some point, which is good cause then I'd have to put up with looking at a character in a frickin' naked apron every battle.
Is this Berserker Tamamo's Stage 3 Ascension?
How did it go from "Mage Robes" to "Naked Apron"?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh, you mean Elizabeth? Yeah, her design is... eck.
But her sweater costume actually looks nice and the Corroded form makes it look like clothing.
No not her. This girl have, like, purple skin and horns also I think. Hold up, imma look at danbooru for her name, I know shes there

Her name is shuten douji

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So here's a topic I've been wanting to talk about for quite some time:

One of the ways we tend remember certain characters in works of fiction is if they romantic feelings for a main character. I like to call label such characters as "romance characters." Here are several notable characters that fit this trope:

Amy Rose from Sonic is in love with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Hinata Hyuga from Naruto is in love and now married to Naruto Uzumaki.

ChiChi from Dragon Ball Z is in love and now married to Goku.

Serena from Pokemon XY/XY&Z: is in love with Ash Ketchum.

Rem from Re:Zero is in love with Natsuki Subaru.

Sakura from Street Fighter has a crush on Ryu.

Faye from Fire Emblem Echoes is in love with Alm.

Asuna from Sword Art Online is in love and currently in a relationship with Kirito.

Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter is in love and now married to Harry Potter.

Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening is in love with Robin and can potentially marry him.

Celica A. Mercury from BlazBlue has a crush on Ragna the Bloodedge.

Ling Xiaoyu from Tekken has a crush on Jin Kazama.

Cordelia from Fire Emblem Awakening has a crush on Chrom.

Mipha from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is in love with Link.

Sugu from Sword Art Online is in love with Kirito.

After looking at all the pictures of examples of such characters, that should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I've seen plenty of discussions on these kinds of characters. Such opinions on them can range from adoration over how "sweet" their feelings toward an MC are to disgust over the fact these characters are "too obsessive and/or shallow" toward an MC. Reading all those discussions regarding such characters leads me to wanting to start a discussion topic related to that. Thus, let's talk about what we think of this "romance character" trope in fiction:

1) Do you tend to like "romance characters" in fiction? Why or why not?
2) When do you consider a "romance character" to be likable? Or in other words, what makes you like a "romance character"?
3) When do you consider a "romance character" to be unlikable? Or in other words, what makes you dislike a "romance character"?
4) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you like.*
5) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you dislike.*

*For this question, you are not limited to the characters that I provided within the spoiler tag above. I only listed those characters just to provide the idea I'm talking about. You are open to use those character as examples if you know one of those characters well, but you are also more than welcome to use another character that is not among the ones I listed but still fits the bill of a "romance character."

I will leave my answer within the spoiler tag below for those that want to read it. Be warned it is quite the wall of text.

1. Admittedly, I do. I'm a sucker for a good romance, and when I see a well written love element added into a mix, chances are I will be attached to that character that initiates it. However, if this romance turns way too obsessive, chances are I will not like that "romance character."

2. Simply put, I want the "romance character" to display a genuine affection for the MC. This kind of affection involves accepting the MC for who he/she is and being a person to provide emotional support. You know, like true love. I also want the "romance characters" to have clear and distinct reasons for developing feelings for the main character. There are two good ways a reason for a romance should be explained: either through backstory or good character development.

Another factor I expect out of "romance characters" is that they should have more to them than just feelings for the main character. This includes qualities that make a character compelling: having flaws, a driven goal, nice character development, and good relatability. By giving such characters more traits beyond the romance, I would have other reasons to be attached to them. I also like it when a romantic aspect from a character is used to develop the MC in a good way.

3. Largely the opposite of what I described in my answer to number 2. An unlikable "romance character" to me is one who feelings for the main character reach obsessive levels instead of genuine love. I get creeped out by the character as a result.

Another issue that comes with an unlikable "romance character" is if said character has no clear reason as to why they developed feelings in the first place. This is especially a problem if the "romance character's" feelings for the MC is the only defining trait of that individual, because then it feels like the romance is just there for no reason whatsoever.

On that note, when romantic feelings are the only defining of an unlikable "romance character", that also doesn't sit well with me as well, More often than not, that just makes the character feel way too gimmicky and flanderized as a result.

4. Here are some "romance characters" I like:

Serena from Pokemon XY/XY&Z:

Commonly remembered for her crush on Ash, I like her a lot. We learn early on in the series that she and Ash first met at a summer camp when they were little kids. Serena was implied to have been sent there against her will, and we can tell she didn't enjoy it. That would change when she ran into Ash, who helped her stand following a leg injury. Since that time, she developed feelings for him, and awaited the day she would return his handkerchief. When she learned Ash was visiting the Kalos region, she made it her goal to meet him again and hand the item back.

She eventually becomes Ash's traveling partner for the time being. In the first 40 episodes, her only reason she is traveling with Ash is just to be by his side. She hasn't found a goal she wants to strive for her, but by traveling the region and interacting with different people, she can search her options. She eventually settles on becoming a Pokemon Performer, and from there, we find different aspects to Serena beyond her whole crush. We see her become more confident about herself over the course of the adventure, and even becoming a stronger woman during her moment when she cuts her hair following her first Pokemon Performance loss.

Serena's feelings for Ash are cute and not something to cringe over. She has bits of jealousy when others make a move on Ash, as best demonstrated with Miette's constant teasing over this fact. However, not once does she develop a strong hatred towards those that make moves on Ash. She also views Ash as a role model. The quote she lives by is one Ash told her in the past: "Never give up until the very end."

Probably one of the best moments that proves what a good "romance character" she is to me is the episode following Ash's loss to Wulfric. There, Ash runs into the forest nearby to sulk over his defeat from the final Kalos Gym Leader. Serena is the only person in Ash's group to chase after him. When she tries to console him, Ash angrily snaps at her. As a result, Serena to throw snowballs at him out of frustration while pointing out that the current Ash has become different from the one that is "kind, optimistic, and never gives up until the very end." This was an amazing scene in regards to Serena's character development. If this was Serena from the beginning of the series, she most likely would've cowered, felt bad, and apologized for snapping back at Ash. Here, she is willing to point out Ash's flaw that he has become to self-absorbed over defeat. It's through this moment that Ash snaps back into reality and realizes what he needs to do, meaning that Serena also developed Ash in a way.

So in the broad scheme of things, Serena is compelling "romance character" to me because there is a clear explanation as to where her feelings from Ash come from, there is more to her character than just loving Ash, her affection for him feels more like love and not an obsession, and her affection even allows Ash to develop as a character.

Rem from Re:Zero:​

I feel like many people will remember her mostly for her confession in the 18th episode of the anime, which showed how much she loves Subaru. While her feelings for the MC are one of her most notable characteristics, there's much more to her that meets the eye.

At the beginning of the series, Rem (as well as her sister Ram) didn't trust Subaru. She suspected he was affiliated with the Witch's Cult (who murdered her parents and everyone in her village), and even killed him in two loops because of it. However, when Subaru overworks himself to gain both her and her sister's trust during a successful loop, he ends up crying himself to sleep on Emilia's lap because of the stress. When Rem sees this and is informed by Emilia that he is a good person, Rem finally trusts him. The next day, she and Subaru go into the forest nearby to fight the shaman. She unlocks her demon powers and goes berserk, leading to a struggle to bring her out of it.

Around this point in the show, we also see a flashback that delves into her and her sister's past. There, it is revealed that Rem developed a severe inferiority complex growing up because of Ram was exceptionally talented at everything, to the point everyone treated Ram like a prodigy while not giving much thought to Rem. These insecurities were so severe that she experienced nightmares growing up, and when Ram's horn was cut off during the Witch Cultist attack, Rem smiled because it was at that moment she became superior to her sister for once in her life. However, Rem quickly experienced strong guilt for that smile, thinking to herself she was terrible for smiling like that. Following the massacre of the Oni clan, Ram and Rem became maids for Roswaal L. Matthews, the noble that saved them during the incident. From there, Rem viewed herself as a cheap substitute to Ram because she was more capable of doing household chores. She saw herself as someone who couldn't even compare to her older twin sister no matter how much she did. Ultimately, Rem had low self-esteem and saw herself as worthless.

Enter Subaru. Subaru was the person to break her out of her berserk state by throwing Ram toward her. When the two had to take shelter for the time being, Subaru tells her to rely on others and not just take on everything herself. Once the Mabeasts and the shaman are defeated, Rem stays with Subaru to tend his words. There, Rem feels guilty over not being able to do everything on her own. She also tears up thinking of how she is the only one that still has her horn, tying back to her own self-confidence issues. Subaru then tells her to think of what makes her unique, appreciate such qualities, and look to the future. Rem ultimately feels such deep happiness from this that she cries tears of joy and laughs, and from that moment, she falls in love with him (and I can't blame her; if someone told me how much I mean to them or the amount of worth I have, I'd gain a deep appreciation for the individual the same way Rem does to Subaru). Thus, through character development, Rem is a character with a distinct explanation as to why she has feelings for Subaru.

Many haters will argue that Rem is too "obsessed" with Subaru. I disagree. For one, she is so devoted to him that she will put her life on the line even if the situation is dire, as demonstrated in one loop where she fights the Witch Cultists in their hideout in an attempt to save Subaru despite her chances of beating Betelgeuse were very slim.

Another scene that she is not "obsessed" with Subaru happens around the beginning of episode 18. There, Subaru has become so distraught over his many deaths that he gives Rem an offer: escape to another country and live a new life together. A deal like that from the person you're in love with sounds like the perfect offer, right? We know that Rem would love to do it; she even admits it herself. However, she rejects Subaru's suggestion. Why? Because she is aware Subaru isn't being true to himself with this escape plan. Rem knows Subaru is abandoning everything that is dear to him and takes a coward's path by running away from what's most important to him.

Later into that episode, another bit that proves she is not "obsessed" with Subaru is the "I love Emilia" scene. When Subaru states what he thinks of Emilia following Rem's confession, does Rem become immensely jealous, freak out, and start planning bloody murder against her? Not at all. Instead, she completely understands where Subaru's heart lies and accepts it, because she wants Subaru to be happy.

Her whole confession to Subaru also proves her feelings for him are that of true love. For every part that Subaru curses about himself, Rem states the opposite and mentions how that is what she loves about him. She also tells him that even if no one will believe him, she will still be by his side. Her words ultimately bring back Subaru to his normal self. Thanks to Rem acting as an emotional crutch, Subaru develops as a character by gaining new confidence in himself and thus gaining new motivation for what he needs to do change fate. I also say Rem's confession is the culmination of her character development. Just like how Subaru convinced her how she is worth something when she thought otherwise, Rem does the same to him.

I also say that scene in episode 21 where she and Subaru agree to part ways for the time being was also character development for Rem, as that proves she doesn't need to be around Subaru all the time to be a compelling character.

I will admit there are some bits of her that could be fixed. For one, drop that line where she tells the White Whale, The only person that can sniff Subaru-kun is me." That is just creepy, and that same sentence also launched a whole lot of fanart of her sniffing Subaru's clothes as a result. There are other ways they could tone done that devotion part of her a tiny notch as well.

All in all, I consider Rem to be a compelling "romance character" in several ways: her feelings for Subaru are that of genuine love and not obsessive, there is clear explanation as to why she develops feelings for him, her affection allows Subaru to develop for the better, and there is much more to her character than meets the eye. The fact she has more traits gives her more reasons to be attached to her. I know it does for me, because I deeply relate to Rem when it comes to her insecurities, her tendency to compare herself with others, and how she wants to return favors to those that do good things for her.

5. Here are some "romance characters" that I do not like:

Faye from Fire Emblem Echoes:​

Ladies and gentleman, here is what I consider to be the epitome example of a badly written "romance character."
  • The only trait is her feelings for the main character? Check.
  • Said feelings for the main character for the main character reaches obsessive levels to the point it's creepy? Check.
  • No good character development? Check.
  • No clear explanation as to where her romantic feelings toward the MC come from? Check.
We can break this down one step at a time:

Point 1: In the span of all of her supports, base conversations, and story dialogue, she talks only about Alm and that is it.

Point 2: It's clear from her dialogue that her feelings for Alm are creepy. In her supports with Silque, she turns down all of Silque's attempts at befriending her. Then, at the beginning of her Act 3, she rejoices over Alm and Celica getting into that fight that caused them to split ways. Faye then becomes passive-aggressive toward him, taking advantage of the incident and tries to convince him that she is the one meant for him because she would never argue with him due to their long-lasting friendship. Not gonna lie, but this conversation creeped me out the first time I read it. If I was Alm in this scene, I would be slowly backing towards the door out of fear. She also mentions how her parents want her to write more about herself and less about Alm in her final base conversation, but she just shrugs it aside and says, "I can only talk about you, Alm." There's also her B-Support conversation with Alm where we learn she didn't sleep for a night because Alm accidentally touched her hand during dinner.

Point 3: Yes, there is her A-Support with Silque where she finally strikes a friendship with Alm, but in her ending, we learn she kept disappearing despite marrying someone else after the war. That implies she never got over her feelings for Alm.

Point 4: Her first base conversation implies she really fell for Alm when he saved her from Slade's forces when they were children, but prior to that, we see her still looking for Alm like an affectionate girl. The Japanese version makes the reasons for her feelings for Alm even more vague, as she ends her conversation by saying, "Even before back then (the time when Alm saved Faye from Slade's forces), you were always my prince."

Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan:

Before I begin, I will admit I do not dislike Mikasa. Rather, she is a character I do not care for all that much. There are moments where I root her on, and there are moments where I feel she is lacking as a character. At the current point the AoT series is at (manga that is), I do not consider her to be a well-written "romance character." Much of her most common criticisms are those that I understand where they come from.

What issues do I have with her as a "romance character"? Namely two things: the fact her feelings for Eren are her only real-defining character trait aside from being a badass fighter in the battlefield, and that she hasn't experienced any real character development, especially when compared to Armin and Eren (in the later arcs that is). Even though much of what she does is to protect Eren, there are times her feelings for Eren feel too obsessive. This comes from the fact most of her dialogue in the series focuses on him. The simple solution to fix that problem is to give her more dialogue that doesn't revolve around the MC and focus on different matters at hand.

This then ties into the issue where she doesn't have any major character development. She remains a person who is too attached to Eren, and while she is capable of fighting on her own even if he isn't around, she hasn't developed other aspects that really make her standout. There aren't any traits she has that I can relate to you either. It's just... she's a badass who loves Eren and will do all she can to protect him. Yeah, I can't fully bring myself to be attached to her compared to other characters in the series.

Mikasa does have a few good things I give her credit for as a better "romance character" compared to someone like Faye. One, the series gives a clear explanation as to how she develops feelings for Eren, and it's revealed early on for that matter (the flashback where we learn that Eren saved her from sex traffickers when he visited her one day, and then him and his dad let her join the family). Two, her affection helps develop the MC. How so? Well, this kicks in during the AoT Season 2 finale.

After the Smiling Titan devours Hannes, a father-figure to the EMA trio, in front of Eren and Mikasa, Eren has an emotional breakdown where he curses himself, saying that he is still "useless." Mikasa is saddened hearing Eren say those words, and she tells him what he is saying is not true. When it seems all hope is lost and they will be eaten soon, she then confesses to Eren:

She tells Eren everything she is grateful for about him and then tries to kiss him. Eren stands up to reject the kiss, and he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many as times as she wants. It may not look like it, but Eren develops as a character during that scene. That kiss Mikasa was about to give to him was a sign that she has completely surrendered her life and accepted an inevitable death, and Eren knew that if he kissed her, it would mean he too would surrender his life. Thus, he decides to not kiss her. However, he is completely aware of what Mikasa thinks of him, so he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many times as she wants. It is character development for Eren because it is from this moment forward that he is no longer rude to Mikasa and becomes aware of what he means to her.
If you included Videl instead of Chi Chi, I liked her

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ok, she's new to me
I still think Altera is worse

Has Assassin of Black(Not Assassin of Red, who is the Servant of Shirou) appeared in the Apocrypha anime yet? If so, I think you'd change your mind quickly, especially when you find out who she is. Also, as I said, Boudica Stage 1. Her Stage 2 Design is okay and her Stage 3 Design is great. Her Starting Design..........just why?
That being said, it's going to feel like forever waiting for Hessian Lobo, who is easily the best Avenger period. I mean, the others are cool too(including Mr. Edgy). But c'mon, it's the frickin' Hessian(although Lobo is pretty cool too)! He's a classic! He's one of the coolest legends and ghosts in history! Look him up and you will know who I am talking about.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I don't mind romance characters. It's not really much of a genre of type that I pay attention to. Though I can determine which ones are well or badly written. It all comes down to criteria which will be shown in the answer to the question below.

2) When do you consider a "romance character" to be likable? Or in other words, what makes you like a "romance character"?
To determine whether romance characters or relationships are likable, it depends primarily on the character development, length and strength.
  • To me, romance relationships must also be how it influences and changes both characters. It also has to be pretty long too.
  • A relationship that slowly but gradually develops over time. One that just happens in an instant is just fake.
  • Strength meaning that both genders aren't afraid to speak up whenever disagreements come and the fact that they aren't defined by that other partner.
Also, if you did choose a specific romance partner in the way it affects dialogue or even the story, then that would be even better.

3) When do you consider a "romance character" to be unlikable? Or in other words, what makes you dislike a "romance character"?
Pretty much the opposite. When a relationship is written short or immediate, or ruins the other character, then well yeah, I hate it.

4) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you like.
Ai Ebihara from Persona 4 - When you start her Social Link, she comes across as an Ice Queen who's abrasive and shallow. It isn't until shortly you discover why her standards with other people are the way they are. Over the course of her Social Link, she goes from coming off as self-absorbed and using you to carry her bags or ask questions of the guy she likes, to valuing you as a person and being willing to shield you from an attacker. She even resolves to make it her goal to continue to become kinder from then on. It was a nicely written character development she had and the change and resolve she go through were admirable.

Hinata Hyuga from Naruto - When she was little, three bullies picked on her because of her Byakugan. Naruto, without even knowing her, jumped in and stood up for her. From then on, she started admiring and harboring a crush on Naruto. Naruto's a pretty charismatic and influential person, so to see her become inspirational especially in the Pain arc was incredible and show cases her development from being passive and shy into a woman's who self-confidant and assertive. I stopped watching Shippuden after 230 episodes (mostly a break since I have to go finish the smaller animes) but I hear their relationship grows even better!

Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening - Her support conversation was alright. All about her discussing how much of a nightmare her future was and how it is absolute that they must win the war. I liked the way that if you decided to S-rank her, the scene between her and Robin changes in Chapter 21. Whether you married Lucina or Chrom, it was nice to see.

Terra from Teen Titans: The relationship between Beast Boy and Terra was adorable, and I was pretty fond of the growth as they bonded. However, when they found out she was affiliated with Slade, everyone attempts to talk her out of it particularly due to Beast Boy. Her fate was pretty tragic and it made me feel bad for Beast Boy. Even at one of the last episodes when he finds Terra once again. She doesn't remember him. He tries his best to hang out with her but he eventually decided to let her go for her own happiness. Poor guy deserves better.

Artina from Disgaea 4: A Promised Unforgotten - The relationship between an angel and a demon. Artina is incredibly compassionate and pure who tends to anyone in the field of war. An example shown in her first meeting with Nemo. When she died however, Nemo went ape **** and became a villain. That time was also when she meet Valvatorez and sympathized with him, despite his reputation being terrifying at the time. She influences both characters deeply throughout the story and her relationship between Valvatorez is pretty damn cute. I love Valvatorez as a character, so this relationship was one of my favorite and I always go out of my way to pick her ending.

I haven't finished the anime but I think that Inuyasha and Kagome may become a pretty likable relationship too once I do get back to it.

5) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you dislike.
Makoto Nijima from Persona 5: I like Makoto as a character (even though she's just basically Mitsuru 2.0 design wise; I use the Catherine costume on her) but I found her Confidant Rank pretty underwhelming. I can't count exactly how much but there are a couple of Confidant Ranks (not including guys) that are much better written than her's. Her Confidant Rank is all about intervening the relationship between her friend and that older aged guy, though I don't see how it particularly demonstrates expanding her horizons? I suppose if people like her for her character, it's fine since she's one of the popular choices.

Sakura Haruno from Naruto: I despise both characters really, but I just don't see what kind of person that she sees in Sasuke. Like, the man almost killed you were it not for Naruto and Kakashi having to come save your ***. Horribly written even more so when I find out they get married. Though I was informed by my older brother to watch out for the girls as most of them don't seem to be particularly written well?

Some of the women in the Dynasty Warriors series are also in poorly written relationships. They were at their best in the PS2 era, particularly in their debut game. Though over time (starting with 6), they started to degrade into becoming more bland and one trope. The common issue is that some characters are defined as a ventriloquist to make other characters look good, so a couple of characters (particularly in the Shu Kingdom) get ruined solely by this. Another being they rarely ever get seen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has Assassin of Black(Not Assassin of Red, who is the Servant of Shirou) appeared in the Apocrypha anime yet? If so, I think you'd change your mind quickly, especially when you find out who she is. Also, as I said, Boudica Stage 1. Her Stage 2 Design is okay and her Stage 3 Design is great. Her Starting Design..........just why?
That being said, it's going to feel like forever waiting for Hessian Lobo, who is easily the best Avenger period. I mean, the others are cool too(including Mr. Edgy). But c'mon, it's the frickin' Hessian(although Lobo is pretty cool too)! He's a classic! He's one of the coolest legends and ghosts in history! Look him up and you will know who I am talking about.
Assassin of Black has only made a small appearence at the end of Ep2(I think)
Yeah, it's Jack the Ripper as a loli but I'm more willing to accept that since his/her identity was never known(and murdering lolis is a trope I find interesting) than I am to accept that Nero Claudius was actually a woman.

Also, looked up Boudica
What the hell? This is just funny because it's actual underwear that I assume I have to take seriously
I hate to see what you think of a full blown naked character
I doubt a fully naked human would be the default look of any character, at least if I'm supposed to take them seriously

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
You all talking about scantily dressed servants in the Fate series?

I'm surprised no one mentioned Ushiwakamaru yet. THAT is a servant who wears almost no clothes and looks cringey as a result (though her Stage 3 design is better compared to her first two stages).

Is this Berserker Tamamo's Stage 3 Ascension?
How did it go from "Mage Robes" to "Naked Apron"?

It ties into Tamamo Cat's personality. Compared to the normal Tamamo, Tamamo Cat becomes the absolute embodiment of her pure and sincere aspects. She becomes an individual that wants nothing more but to be helpful to her master, prioritizing her master's happiness before her own. The maid outfit references how Tamamo Cat becomes extremely loyal the same way a fictional maid will devote herself to her master in all ways possible.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Y'all talking about scantily dressed servants in the Fate series.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Ushiwakamaru yet. THAT is a servant who wears almost no clothes and looks cringey as a result (though her Stage 3 design is better compared to her first two stages).
Yeah, I forgot about her. Even then, her Stage 3 is just her with giant armor pads covering her body and a cape. She still doesn't put pants on. I do like her character though.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Was this discussed?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413099

Crash Bandicoot with Xbox UI
Possible port?
PC port designed able to use Xbox controller?
Xbox port?
Weird internal dev things?

who knows
switch version for the love of all that is holy
A port of some kind or another seemed inevitable as soon as they started skirting around clarifying the exact nature of the exclusivity. ActiVision isn't going to make anything exclusive to one platform I think, just doesn't make sense for a company of that size.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
And I get home and Salmon Run's done...tomorrow night it is...

Did manage to play a bit this morning though...

I really wish people payed more attention...Mothership event is going on first wave, here I am all by myself with a blaster (which has a horrible dps) and the Mothership's attached to the bucket...SPAMMING THE HELL OUTTA 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' 'THIS WAY!' ....

and of course everyone's too busy collecting eggs on the otherside of the map, by the time I chase the Mothership away it stole about 5 eggs...We ended up losing by one egg....and of course my pay plummets...

Successive rounds afterwards it was a damn miracle to get my teammates on the shore during low tide...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So I've been playing ARMS for a bit. It's fun once you get used to it, but it does take a looong time to get used to everything (and I'm still learning, slowly). I managed to beat the level 4 Grand Prix after a bit of practice, but anything past that is still too difficult for me, and online play just pairs me with people who have probably been playing since the game's release so I get trashed (it probably doesn't help that I'm still struggling to tell the difference between an incoming punch and incoming grab, and react properly in time). It does feel like just stalling and running down the clock is the most effective way of getting a win, though, which isn't quite so fun; in that respect, it kind of feels like it was designed with online play primarily in mind, where the laggy environment would force people to slow down (of course, I've only been playing for like three days, so take with a grain of salt). I haven't played around with most of the characters enough yet to judge them, but so far Min Min seems to be doing the best for me (and I like her dragon arm thing).

Oh, it also has a pretty decent soundtrack.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

One of the ways we tend remember certain characters in works of fiction is if they romantic feelings for a main character. I like to call label such characters as "romance characters." Here are several notable characters that fit this trope:

Chi Chi from Dragon Ball Z is in love and now married to Goku.

Asuna from Sword Art Online is in love and currently in a relationship with Kirito.

Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening is in love with Robin and can potentially marry him.

After looking at all the pictures of examples of such characters, that should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I've seen plenty of discussions on these kinds of characters. Such opinions on them can range from adoration over how "sweet" their feelings toward an MC are to disgust over the fact these characters are "too obsessive and/or shallow" toward an MC. Reading all those discussions regarding such characters leads me to wanting to start a discussion topic related to that. Thus, let's talk about what we think of this "romance character" trope in fiction:

No. Typically, they'd be better off without the person they like.
If they can still act sane at all times, but the pairing's a respectable one.
The clingier they get, and the more ridiculous they act. Especially if they just get in their crush's way. Also, the more wrong the pairing feels.
Sakura and Hinata (Naruto)
Sierra (Total Drama World Tour), Serena (Pokémon), Amy (Sonic)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
In the latest episode of DB Super, some vegetables beat up some kitchen appliances

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wish that cleaner rips of DBZ: Extreme Butoden's soundtrack existed. There's some really good themes in that game. Kami's Lookout, Supreme Kai's World, Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Namek and especially the Islands should have them.

EDIT: Somebody had the Island's theme uploaded about a week ago. Just found it!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

ChiChi from Dragon Ball Z is in love and now married to Goku.

*For this question, you are not limited to the characters that I provided within the spoiler tag above. I only listed those characters just to provide the idea I'm talking about. You are open to use those character as examples if you know one of those characters well, but you are also more than welcome to use another character that is not among the ones I listed but still fits the bill of a "romance character."

I will leave my answer within the spoiler tag below for those that want to read it. Be warned it is quite the wall of text.

1. Admittedly, I do. I'm a sucker for a good romance, and when I see a well written love element added into a mix, chances are I will be attached to that character that initiates it. However, if this romance turns way too obsessive, chances are I will not like that "romance character."

2. Simply put, I want the "romance character" to display a genuine affection for the MC. This kind of affection involves accepting the MC for who he/she is and being a person to provide emotional support. You know, like true love. I also want the "romance characters" to have clear and distinct reasons for developing feelings for the main character. There are two good ways a reason for a romance should be explained: either through backstory or good character development.

Another factor I expect out of "romance characters" is that they should have more to them than just feelings for the main character. This includes qualities that make a character compelling: having flaws, a driven goal, nice character development, and good relatability. By giving such characters more traits beyond the romance, I would have other reasons to be attached to them. I also like it when a romantic aspect from a character is used to develop the MC in a good way.

3. Largely the opposite of what I described in my answer to number 2. An unlikable "romance character" to me is one who feelings for the main character reach obsessive levels instead of genuine love. I get creeped out by the character as a result.

Another issue that comes with an unlikable "romance character" is if said character has no clear reason as to why they developed feelings in the first place. This is especially a problem if the "romance character's" feelings for the MC is the only defining trait of that individual, because then it feels like the romance is just there for no reason whatsoever.

On that note, when romantic feelings are the only defining of an unlikable "romance character", that also doesn't sit well with me as well, More often than not, that just makes the character feel way too gimmicky and flanderized as a result.

4. Here are some "romance characters" I like:

Serena from Pokemon XY/XY&Z:

Commonly remembered for her crush on Ash, I like her a lot. We learn early on in the series that she and Ash first met at a summer camp when they were little kids. Serena was implied to have been sent there against her will, and we can tell she didn't enjoy it. That would change when she ran into Ash, who helped her stand following a leg injury. Since that time, she developed feelings for him, and awaited the day she would return his handkerchief. When she learned Ash was visiting the Kalos region, she made it her goal to meet him again and hand the item back.

She eventually becomes Ash's traveling partner for the time being. In the first 40 episodes, her only reason she is traveling with Ash is just to be by his side. She hasn't found a goal she wants to strive for her, but by traveling the region and interacting with different people, she can search her options. She eventually settles on becoming a Pokemon Performer, and from there, we find different aspects to Serena beyond her whole crush. We see her become more confident about herself over the course of the adventure, and even becoming a stronger woman during her moment when she cuts her hair following her first Pokemon Performance loss.

Serena's feelings for Ash are cute and not something to cringe over. She has bits of jealousy when others make a move on Ash, as best demonstrated with Miette's constant teasing over this fact. However, not once does she develop a strong hatred towards those that make moves on Ash. She also views Ash as a role model. The quote she lives by is one Ash told her in the past: "Never give up until the very end."

Probably one of the best moments that proves what a good "romance character" she is to me is the episode following Ash's loss to Wulfric. There, Ash runs into the forest nearby to sulk over his defeat from the final Kalos Gym Leader. Serena is the only person in Ash's group to chase after him. When she tries to console him, Ash angrily snaps at her. As a result, Serena to throw snowballs at him out of frustration while pointing out that the current Ash has become different from the one that is "kind, optimistic, and never gives up until the very end." This was an amazing scene in regards to Serena's character development. If this was Serena from the beginning of the series, she most likely would've cowered, felt bad, and apologized for snapping back at Ash. Here, she is willing to point out Ash's flaw that he has become to self-absorbed over defeat. It's through this moment that Ash snaps back into reality and realizes what he needs to do, meaning that Serena also developed Ash in a way.

So in the broad scheme of things, Serena is compelling "romance character" to me because there is a clear explanation as to where her feelings from Ash come from, there is more to her character than just loving Ash, her affection for him feels more like love and not an obsession, and her affection even allows Ash to develop as a character.

Rem from Re:Zero:​

I feel like many people will remember her mostly for her confession in the 18th episode of the anime, which showed how much she loves Subaru. While her feelings for the MC are one of her most notable characteristics, there's much more to her that meets the eye.

At the beginning of the series, Rem (as well as her sister Ram) didn't trust Subaru. She suspected he was affiliated with the Witch's Cult (who murdered her parents and everyone in her village), and even killed him in two loops because of it. However, when Subaru overworks himself to gain both her and her sister's trust during a successful loop, he ends up crying himself to sleep on Emilia's lap because of the stress. When Rem sees this and is informed by Emilia that he is a good person, Rem finally trusts him. The next day, she and Subaru go into the forest nearby to fight the shaman. She unlocks her demon powers and goes berserk, leading to a struggle to bring her out of it.

Around this point in the show, we also see a flashback that delves into her and her sister's past. There, it is revealed that Rem developed a severe inferiority complex growing up because of Ram was exceptionally talented at everything, to the point everyone treated Ram like a prodigy while not giving much thought to Rem. These insecurities were so severe that she experienced nightmares growing up, and when Ram's horn was cut off during the Witch Cultist attack, Rem smiled because it was at that moment she became superior to her sister for once in her life. However, Rem quickly experienced strong guilt for that smile, thinking to herself she was terrible for smiling like that. Following the massacre of the Oni clan, Ram and Rem became maids for Roswaal L. Matthews, the noble that saved them during the incident. From there, Rem viewed herself as a cheap substitute to Ram because she was more capable of doing household chores. She saw herself as someone who couldn't even compare to her older twin sister no matter how much she did. Ultimately, Rem had low self-esteem and saw herself as worthless.

Enter Subaru. Subaru was the person to break her out of her berserk state by throwing Ram toward her. When the two had to take shelter for the time being, Subaru tells her to rely on others and not just take on everything herself. Once the Mabeasts and the shaman are defeated, Rem stays with Subaru to tend his words. There, Rem feels guilty over not being able to do everything on her own. She also tears up thinking of how she is the only one that still has her horn, tying back to her own self-confidence issues. Subaru then tells her to think of what makes her unique, appreciate such qualities, and look to the future. Rem ultimately feels such deep happiness from this that she cries tears of joy and laughs, and from that moment, she falls in love with him (and I can't blame her; if someone told me how much I mean to them or the amount of worth I have, I'd gain a deep appreciation for the individual the same way Rem does to Subaru). Thus, through character development, Rem is a character with a distinct explanation as to why she has feelings for Subaru.

Many haters will argue that Rem is too "obsessed" with Subaru. I disagree. For one, she is so devoted to him that she will put her life on the line even if the situation is dire, as demonstrated in one loop where she fights the Witch Cultists in their hideout in an attempt to save Subaru despite her chances of beating Betelgeuse were very slim.

Another scene that she is not "obsessed" with Subaru happens around the beginning of episode 18. There, Subaru has become so distraught over his many deaths that he gives Rem an offer: escape to another country and live a new life together. A deal like that from the person you're in love with sounds like the perfect offer, right? We know that Rem would love to do it; she even admits it herself. However, she rejects Subaru's suggestion. Why? Because she is aware Subaru isn't being true to himself with this escape plan. Rem knows Subaru is abandoning everything that is dear to him and takes a coward's path by running away from what's most important to him.

Later into that episode, another bit that proves she is not "obsessed" with Subaru is the "I love Emilia" scene. When Subaru states what he thinks of Emilia following Rem's confession, does Rem become immensely jealous, freak out, and start planning bloody murder against her? Not at all. Instead, she completely understands where Subaru's heart lies and accepts it, because she wants Subaru to be happy.

Her whole confession to Subaru also proves her feelings for him are that of true love. For every part that Subaru curses about himself, Rem states the opposite and mentions how that is what she loves about him. She also tells him that even if no one will believe him, she will still be by his side. Her words ultimately bring back Subaru to his normal self. Thanks to Rem acting as an emotional crutch, Subaru develops as a character by gaining new confidence in himself and thus gaining new motivation for what he needs to do change fate. I also say Rem's confession is the culmination of her character development. Just like how Subaru convinced her how she is worth something when she thought otherwise, Rem does the same to him.

I also say that scene in episode 21 where she and Subaru agree to part ways for the time being was also character development for Rem, as that proves she doesn't need to be around Subaru all the time to be a compelling character.

I will admit there are some bits of her that could be fixed. For one, drop that line where she tells the White Whale, The only person that can sniff Subaru-kun is me." That is just creepy, and that same sentence also launched a whole lot of fanart of her sniffing Subaru's clothes as a result. There are other ways they could tone done that devotion part of her a tiny notch as well.

All in all, I consider Rem to be a compelling "romance character" in several ways: her feelings for Subaru are that of genuine love and not obsessive, there is clear explanation as to why she develops feelings for him, her affection allows Subaru to develop for the better, and there is much more to her character than meets the eye. The fact she has more traits gives her more reasons to be attached to her. I know it does for me, because I deeply relate to Rem when it comes to her insecurities, her tendency to compare herself with others, and how she wants to return favors to those that do good things for her.

5. Here are some "romance characters" that I do not like:

Faye from Fire Emblem Echoes:​

Ladies and gentleman, here is what I consider to be the epitome example of a badly written "romance character."
  • The only trait is her feelings for the main character? Check.
  • Said feelings for the main character for the main character reaches obsessive levels to the point it's creepy? Check.
  • No good character development? Check.
  • No clear explanation as to where her romantic feelings toward the MC come from? Check.
We can break this down one step at a time:

Point 1: In the span of all of her supports, base conversations, and story dialogue, she talks only about Alm and that is it.

Point 2: It's clear from her dialogue that her feelings for Alm are creepy. In her supports with Silque, she turns down all of Silque's attempts at befriending her. Then, at the beginning of her Act 3, she rejoices over Alm and Celica getting into that fight that caused them to split ways. Faye then becomes passive-aggressive toward him, taking advantage of the incident and tries to convince him that she is the one meant for him because she would never argue with him due to their long-lasting friendship. Not gonna lie, but this conversation creeped me out the first time I read it. If I was Alm in this scene, I would be slowly backing towards the door out of fear. She also mentions how her parents want her to write more about herself and less about Alm in her final base conversation, but she just shrugs it aside and says, "I can only talk about you, Alm." There's also her B-Support conversation with Alm where we learn she didn't sleep for a night because Alm accidentally touched her hand during dinner.

Point 3: Yes, there is her A-Support with Silque where she finally strikes a friendship with Alm, but in her ending, we learn she kept disappearing despite marrying someone else after the war. That implies she never got over her feelings for Alm.

Point 4: Her first base conversation implies she really fell for Alm when he saved her from Slade's forces when they were children, but prior to that, we see her still looking for Alm like an affectionate girl. The Japanese version makes the reasons for her feelings for Alm even more vague, as she ends her conversation by saying, "Even before back then (the time when Alm saved Faye from Slade's forces), you were always my prince."

Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan:

Before I begin, I will admit I do not dislike Mikasa. Rather, she is a character I do not care for all that much. There are moments where I root her on, and there are moments where I feel she is lacking as a character. At the current point the AoT series is at (manga that is), I do not consider her to be a well-written "romance character." Much of her most common criticisms are those that I understand where they come from.

What issues do I have with her as a "romance character"? Namely two things: the fact her feelings for Eren are her only real-defining character trait aside from being a badass fighter in the battlefield, and that she hasn't experienced any real character development, especially when compared to Armin and Eren (in the later arcs that is). Even though much of what she does is to protect Eren, there are times her feelings for Eren feel too obsessive. This comes from the fact most of her dialogue in the series focuses on him. The simple solution to fix that problem is to give her more dialogue that doesn't revolve around the MC and focus on different matters at hand.

This then ties into the issue where she doesn't have any major character development. She remains a person who is too attached to Eren, and while she is capable of fighting on her own even if he isn't around, she hasn't developed other aspects that really make her standout. There aren't any traits she has that I can relate to you either. It's just... she's a badass who loves Eren and will do all she can to protect him. Yeah, I can't fully bring myself to be attached to her compared to other characters in the series.

Mikasa does have a few good things I give her credit for as a better "romance character" compared to someone like Faye. One, the series gives a clear explanation as to how she develops feelings for Eren, and it's revealed early on for that matter (the flashback where we learn that Eren saved her from sex traffickers when he visited her one day, and then him and his dad let her join the family). Two, her affection helps develop the MC. How so? Well, this kicks in during the AoT Season 2 finale.

After the Smiling Titan devours Hannes, a father-figure to the EMA trio, in front of Eren and Mikasa, Eren has an emotional breakdown where he curses himself, saying that he is still "useless." Mikasa is saddened hearing Eren say those words, and she tells him what he is saying is not true. When it seems all hope is lost and they will be eaten soon, she then confesses to Eren:

She tells Eren everything she is grateful for about him and then tries to kiss him. Eren stands up to reject the kiss, and he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many as times as she wants. It may not look like it, but Eren develops as a character during that scene. That kiss Mikasa was about to give to him was a sign that she has completely surrendered her life and accepted an inevitable death, and Eren knew that if he kissed her, it would mean he too would surrender his life. Thus, he decides to not kiss her. However, he is completely aware of what Mikasa thinks of him, so he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many times as she wants. It is character development for Eren because it is from this moment forward that he is no longer rude to Mikasa and becomes aware of what he means to her.
Gonna have to correct you on the Breath of the Wild point.

Everyone wants Link's **** in Breath of the Wild. :V

Joking aside:

1) I tend to go either extreme, with very few exceptions. It just depends on how well handled they are, and if they are likable characters even without the romance aspect.

2) Aside from just being well-written and appealing characters in general, the most important quality for a romance character in my opinion, is that they need to have some genuine chemistry with the object of their affection. I need to really see (or at least, understand) how and why this character falls in love with the object of their affection. This is especially true if they're intended to actually get together with their beloved. There should also be some light shed on how these feelings effect the person, either positive or negative. And while it's not necessary, having a character go through some introspection regarding their own feelings can be interesting.

3) I don't like the romantic feelings of characters becoming too focused on if the story is not inherently in the romantic, or at least the drama genre. And unless you're intentionally trying to tell a story about the negative effects of romantic feelings and obsession, then the romantic feelings a character has shouldn't be toxic or stagnant (this is where the "introspection" point I mentioned can help). And it goes without saying, but there should be more to a character than their love for another character. They just need to be a good character, period.

I'm on my phone, and it's late, so I'll just do one example of a romance character I like from Fire Emblem Echoes.

4) Clair: While Clair marries Grey in the end, she spends the entire game with romantic feelings for Alm. It's a fairly big focus of her character, to the point where her Fire Emblem Heroes profile blurb thing mentions it.

The main thing is that Clair herself is just one of the most charming and well-developed characters in the game. She gets a lot of development in other aspects of her character such as her love for her brother Clive and what she will do to protect him, her concern for Fernand and his position, her growing rivalry with and respect for Mathilda, her being a big sister figure to Delthea, her growing appreciation for common folk, and her pride as a Zofian noble. So yeah, Clair is a well-rounded character, and nobody can argue that her romantic feelings for Alm define her in the slightest.

But I do think that Clair's relationship with Alm was basically "the best romance that never happened" in this game. They just had a lot of chemistry. I can see how and why these two could work as a couple, and why Clair feels so deeply for Alm.

In one of the memory prisms you can get from the Rise of the Deliverance DLC, Fernand has Clair describe her idea of the perfect husband. And the kind of man she describes sounds a lot like her brother Clive. While it's easy to dismiss this as a cute nod to how much she adores her big brother, I think this exchange was actually intended to better contextualise her feelings for Alm that she later develops. Because one of the biggest conflicts in Alm's route, is how Clive feels increasingly inadequate next to Alm. Alm is a better leader and a better warrior than Clive is, both of which are qualities Clair mentions she wants in a man. Alm is also more readily willing to display compassion than Clive is (Clive is compassionate, but can let his pragmatism get in the way of that), which was also something Clair wants in a man. So yeah, it's easy to see why Alm would catch Clair's attention.

But there's also some other elements to it. Since having to be a part of the Deliverance, Clair has begun to have a better appreciation of the common folk, and wants to understand them more. Since Alm is a common villager to his knowledge and her knowledge at first, seeing a commoner display leadership qualities and fighting skills superior to Clive's must be a shock to her system. Right off the bat, she has reason to keep a keen eye on him. She also expresses a desire to want to learn the ways of the common folk from Alm, she wants to learn how to sow the crops and milk the cows and all that jazz from him. Likewise, Clair has things she can teach him too. Their supports are partly about her getting Alm to speak in a more noble tongue. In one of her base conversations, she also (rather adorably) asks if he would like to attend a ball and have a dance with her after the war is over, even offering to teach him how to dance. Alm really is a noble prince by blood, and as a leader, learning the ways of a noble from Clair is actually quite beneficial to him.

But besides all of that...god DAMN, their supports just make them so shippable. Clair is normally kind of vain - she knows she's an attractive and desirable woman that men drool over and is confident in her combat abilities, so she generally expects people to already respect her. With Alm though, she's the opposite - she tries overly hard to impress him, to the point of making up fancy, proper-sounding words because he likes the way she talks. She tries to cover up this feeling by trying to be condescending and referring to Alm as "boy", but this actually ends up making him warm up to her even more. And their A-Support has them borderline flirt with each other, with Clair practically confessing her feelings by the end of it, and Alm even blushes and is taken a back, followed by a cheeky giggle from Clair because she knew exactly what she was doing.

Clair is also introspective enough to realise when her feelings for Alm are getting the best of her. She has an outburst at Grey in their B-support, but later says in their A-support that she may have been out of line. Having just been heartbroken by finding out about the relationship between Alm and Celica, Clair took Grey's advances extra harshly and took things out on him a bit. This demonstrates that she's able to identify when her feelings for Alm are negatively effecting her.

So yeah. Clair has a really well contextualised and well developed romantic interest in Alm. I think it was much better developed and a lot cuter than either of their canon pairings.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Yeah, I forgot about her. Even then, her Stage 3 is just her with giant armor pads covering her body and a cape. She still doesn't put pants on. I do like her character though.
pants are for wealings just look at Kirby, Knuckles, and the megazord

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also, the Cell Games theme for DBZ Extreme Butoden is pretty good too.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because MHA's dub started again today I decided to keep up now, and not only is Eric Vale doing a splendid performance for Handyman this episode, but the animators made him more creepy. Nice. Also, the Stain arc's just about wrapping up apparently in the Japanese dub, right? Here's a fun bit of trivia from the author!
The winged Nomu went after Deku for a reason. Deku and someone with wings didn't get along in season 1... Anyone remember?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Because MHA's dub started again today I decided to keep up now, and not only is Eric Vale doing a splendid performance for Handyman this episode, but the animators made him more creepy. Nice. Also, the Stain arc's just about wrapping up apparently in the Japanese dub, right? Here's a fun bit of trivia from the author!
The winged Nomu went after Deku for a reason. Deku and someone with wings didn't get along in season 1... Anyone remember?
Yeah I remember that. It was cool when he later mentioned for those who might not have got it earlier. It also gives the villains' influence a bit of a stronger impact.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When they are done well. I like them.

That said I think there's a big difference between a romance character and a romance between characters.

They gotta be a good character in their own right.

Their romance can't be what defines them. I don't expect romance to be small. It's big for some people, but they should have more to them than just romance. I mean, like give the character a hobby or something they love. Give them depth. Make them have separate struggles to deal with.

Make them real.

The romance is literally all they are.

They only exist to give someone a chance to fall in love. I also dislike it if the romance is just badly written.

Good romances take a genuine connection (as in they have similar interests, jobs, etc), time and two likable partners. Thing can go wrong in good romances, but good romances know when the bad thing is too much and when the two need to take a break or break up.

Calista - The Last Story: The best romance in gaming I have ever seen. Period. Calista feels like a mature young woman who falls for Zael's good qualities and bad qualities and Zael does the same. She isn't going to stand around and let him do everything but appreciates the nice thing he does for her and vice versa. She is most definitely her own character. These people grew together over the course of the game and the worth of their character was proven time and time again. It's also cool that the game doesn't end with them confessing their love for each other. They realize they love each other early on (no teenage what are my feelings stuff) and act accordingly. The game actually ends after they are married. It's a very nice romance and one I was enthralled and surprised by.

If you haven't played The Last Story, go get it. It's like 20 bucks on Wii. It's not hard to find at all.

Ryfia - Arc Rise Fantasia: Ryfia is one of the characters I REALLY dislike. She herself is stupid (and not in a charming or funny way) but not ignorant of the full picture which is often an infuriating combination. She's kind, sure but that's the only nice thing I can say about her. L'Arc (the main character) and Ryfia are not likable and do not have good chemistry. L'Arc is supposed to be a tough guy that only shows his soft side to people he's close to (like Alf, his mother and Ryfia) but Ryfia is so incompetent that he's often annoyed with her. This is not a good romance. There's only a few times where L'Arc shows her his true thoughts and feelings. Meanwhile, Ryfia does nothing but that. Her childlike innocence only causes problems and her inability to learn or grow is infuriating and means L'Arc has to baby her and he gets angry when others don't. This is a bad romance character because the character itself cannot stand on her own.

Also, her voice acting is atrocious.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
DBS was hype af.

-Goku still can't fight his waifu Jiren
-Tien scores a KO with the help of Roshi's Thunderbolt
-18 legit saved Goku's butt
-Caulifla is becoming a true warrior
-Kale can control her transformations now
-....but the ship is sinkin'
-18 got tired of the Pride Troopers saying "Justice" too often and slapped their ****
-#PrayForGowasu
-18 and 17 teamed up to give negative ****s
-Pride Troopers became the Pride Jobbers
-Sailor Teletubbie incoming

MVP of the week: 18

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I did not expect the Pride Troopers to get beaten like that. While it was mostly Toppo and Jiren getting built up, they still had a good amount of clout behind them and you'd expect them to at least get one KO before going down. Yet they lost five members on top of the one Kale took out last episode, tying them with Universe 10 (who are probably the biggest butt monkeys of the tournament at this point, even 9 had a better showing so far and they lost three episodes ago) for the most KOs in their team. It'll still probably be a while before they get knocked out, but they're starting to get close to their last leg.

Other then that, nice to see more of the Androids, Kale, and Caulifla in action. 18 has gotten a number of good KOs and it's nice to see Kale and Caulifla grow into stronger threats, I expect a good showdown with them towards the end as they start wrapping things up.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I got me a bit of a problem.

As you can see in my sig below, I am starting Tales of Vesperia soon.

Now I've actually started it twice...

Once was when I borrowed the game. Never got to get anywhere close to finish it (I hadn't gotten every character in my party for good yet) and my memory of that run is... fuzzy (it was like 2012 or so).

I got the game officially years later and started it as a co-op campaign with buddies from college. It started really fun but they lost interest after a while. I tried to get them back into it but they didn't like it much (meanwhile I'm here loving Tales of games). Time passed and I gave up on any hope of getting partners for the adventure.

I want to tackle it by my lonesome and when I booted it up recently to start...

I was very confused as to where I was or how the intricacies of the game worked. Some experimenting helped me remember stuff but I still can't remember how to do some vital actions. As for plot, the in game synopsis was able to help me remember most of the big plot points but I'm still fairly fuzzy on the details. I remember the main characters and some important NPCs and events but several other things like town names, lore from the world and character interactions are a blur. Basically I remember some big stuff, but I'm afraid I've forgotten some smaller stuff which could give the plot more meaning and context.

So uh...

Tales games are LOOOOOOOOONG and I will probably not be able to bring my Xbox 360 to college with me.

Should I restart the game or continue where me and my college buddies left off. I did go through much of the game twice so I do think I could get through it without too much confusion. But I'm asking ya.

Should I restart Tales of Vesperia or continue the co-op file that is about ten hours in?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13574510

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Was this discussed?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413099

Crash Bandicoot with Xbox UI
Possible port?
PC port designed able to use Xbox controller?
Xbox port?
Weird internal dev things?

who knows
switch version for the love of all that is holy
I'm not saying an Xbox One port won't happen, but this isn't evidence of it. The Crash 3 part is out of order (being at Bye Bye Blimps on a 2% save file), so it's clearly a dev build, which would have Xbox button prompts since it's being played on a PC. N. Sane Trilogy is also built on the Skylanders Imaginators engine, which is a game that already had Xbox button prompts.

Also a Switch version seems extremely unlikely without huge graphical compromises.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom