• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Please do not talk about pirate sites like Kissanime. I understand the annoyance in being unable to see your anime legally. Fair enough.

However, Smashboards cannot condone pirating due to it being illegal(and arguably wrong). To clarify, I'm not saying a debate should go up about pirating. That's free to debate, actually. No biggie. However, we cannot condone the actual sites being listed by name(or link), since that would be promoting illegal activity.
I dont see any harm in talking about the site tbh but ok

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
WE ACTUALLY WON A GLOWFLY WAVE!?
Honestly I win and lose about equally on all kinds of waves. I had them on me most of the time, so I just pulled the heck back and tried to stay out of the way. I was a bit worried I wasn't pulling my weight, but I figured it'd be best if we weren't in a cluster.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly I win and lose about equally on all kinds of waves. I had them on me most of the time, so I just pulled the heck back and tried to stay out of the way. I was a bit worried I wasn't pulling my weight, but I figured it'd be best if we weren't in a cluster.
The flies surrounded me once and I died immediately

Once there is an open room Ill try to
Well be prepared for any second now for the room to open.

Coricus Coricus Wario Bros. Wario Bros. Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo I made a new room

Why does it now just decide to fill the last spot on its own?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sooo..............I would post a Head Exploding Gif here just for my sheer surprise from coming back after a week of camp, but the sheer surprise containing and exploding out would make it Not Safe for Boards....but Holy Balls....Where to begin...

YAY DOOMFIST! YAY LESS DUPLICATES! YAY MCCREE, ZARYA AND REAPER BUFFS! YAY REINHARDT FIXES!
I got my First 5 Star Servant AND Craft Essence. My first 5 Star Servant is Altera A.K.A. Attila the Hun Genderswap and one of the stars of Fate Extella. My First 5 Star Craft Essence is Imaginary Around, which is the 5 Star Quick Card Buffer. So Cu and my Riders and Assassins will like that card a lot. I also got a Nightless Rose Drop so far in the Nero Fest, so I ended up getting another 5 Star Craft Essence.
Oh man oh man oh man......you should've seen my face when I logged in on FEHeroes and saw this. My mouth was wide open for a good while. And it was a wonderful feeling. Not so much for the Banner itself, but how I was truly surprised due to not spoiling it for myself early on. Also I'm going to get Female Corrin since I want more Fliers, especially a Ranged Flier. And to go with Spring Camilla.
I am frickin' serious. I basically thought I had woken up this morning and I went to see what FEHeroes had for announcements besides Nohrian Summer, which I found out about yesterday, but didn't have enough time to check it out. Besides looking at the characters for Nohrian Summer, when I went under the Banner news, I ended up seeing Grand Hero Battle announcements for Lyon(FE8), Nergal(FE7), Valter and Oliver(FE9/10). After getting excited from that, I went to do a Summon for the Ylissian Summer Banner and I ended up getting Summer Robin. Since she was the one I wanted a lot and I had Orbs still, I went to do Nohrian Summer and I ended getting both Summer Corrin and Summer Xander. I was bursting in real excitement, than my Alarm Clock woke me up.........

*insert Every Angry Tossing the Table GIF here*
I don't know what to say about that last one, but you would all be laughing at the sheer rage and hurt I was feeling for that last one. But I got to say, the sheer surprise I had when I came back here to learn about the upcoming Grand Hero Battle was frickin' awesome.

D

Deleted member

My first 5 Star Servant is Altera
Man, Altera could have been such a cool character but her design is just so... ridiculous. Like, I really can't take her seriously at all with that outfit and it distracts me from a character that seems genuinely interesting.

Chrono.

Man, Altera could have been such a cool character but her design is just so... ridiculous. Like, I really can't take her seriously at all with that outfit and it distracts me from a character that seems genuinely interesting.

Doesn't seem as bad as some of the other Fate stuff.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Coricus is like a master rank
Nah that's Profreshional. I bobbed into Overachiever today messing around, maybe. . .two levels above Part Timer? I forget. Apparently that IS where it starts "getting hard" from what people say, though. It feels like it compromised at more of a Go Getter level, though.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I do find it interesting a Blastoise cannot beat a Charizard in a 1v1 battle because all a Charizard has to do is Sunny Day and Solar Beam and Blastoise can't actually counter it.

But I guess that's why pokemon isn't a 1v1 game
*hard cut to blastoise using the rock z-move as blastoise can learn rockslide, smack down or rock tomb*

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*hard cut to blastoise using the rock z-move as blastoise can learn rockslide, smack down or rock tomb*
They don't seem to have Z moves in the calculators, so I'm not sure

But really, at that point you'd have to tailor make Blastoise just to kill Charizard.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

What you call ridiculous is ridiculous. You should look at the others fate characters

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So here's a topic I've been wanting to talk about for quite some time:

One of the ways we tend remember certain characters in works of fiction is if they romantic feelings for a main character. I like to call label such characters as "romance characters." Here are several notable characters that fit this trope:

Amy Rose from Sonic is in love with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Hinata Hyuga from Naruto is in love and now married to Naruto Uzumaki.

Chi Chi from Dragon Ball Z is in love and now married to Goku.

Serena from Pokemon XY/XY&Z: is in love with Ash Ketchum.

Rem from Re:Zero is in love with Natsuki Subaru.

Sakura from Street Fighter has a crush on Ryu.

Faye from Fire Emblem Echoes is in love with Alm.

Asuna from Sword Art Online is in love and currently in a relationship with Kirito.

Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter is in love and now married to Harry Potter.

Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening is in love with Robin and can potentially marry him.

Celica A. Mercury from BlazBlue has a crush on Ragna the Bloodedge.

Ling Xiaoyu from Tekken has a crush on Jin Kazama.

Cordelia from Fire Emblem Awakening has a crush on Chrom.

Mipha from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is in love with Link.

Sugu from Sword Art Online is in love with Kirito.

After looking at all the pictures of examples of such characters, that should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I've seen plenty of discussions on these kinds of characters. Such opinions on them can range from adoration over how "sweet" their feelings toward an MC are to disgust over the fact these characters are "too obsessive and/or shallow" toward an MC. Reading all those discussions regarding such characters leads me to wanting to start a discussion topic related to that. Thus, let's talk about what we think of this "romance character" trope in fiction:

1) Do you tend to like "romance characters" in fiction? Why or why not?
2) When do you consider a "romance character" to be likable? Or in other words, what makes you like a "romance character"?
3) When do you consider a "romance character" to be unlikable? Or in other words, what makes you dislike a "romance character"?
4) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you like.*
5) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you dislike.*

*For this question, you are not limited to the characters that I provided within the spoiler tag above. I only listed those characters just to provide the idea I'm talking about. You are open to use those character as examples if you know one of those characters well, but you are also more than welcome to use another character that is not among the ones I listed but still fits the bill of a "romance character."

I will leave my answer within the spoiler tag below for those that want to read it. Be warned it is quite the wall of text.

1. Admittedly, I do. I'm a sucker for a good romance, and when I see a well written love element added into a mix, chances are I will be attached to that character that initiates it. However, if this romance turns way too obsessive, chances are I will not like that "romance character."

2. Simply put, I want the "romance character" to display a genuine affection for the MC. This kind of affection involves accepting the MC for who he/she is and being a person to provide emotional support. You know, like true love. I also want the "romance characters" to have clear and distinct reasons for developing feelings for the main character. There are two good ways a reason for a romance should be explained: either through backstory or good character development.

Another factor I expect out of "romance characters" is that they should have more to them than just feelings for the main character. This includes qualities that make a character compelling: having flaws, a driven goal, nice character development, and good relatability. By giving such characters more traits beyond the romance, I would have other reasons to be attached to them. I also like it when a romantic aspect from a character is used to develop the MC in a good way.

3. Largely the opposite of what I described in my answer to number 2. An unlikable "romance character" to me is one who feelings for the main character reach obsessive levels instead of genuine love. I get creeped out by the character as a result.

Another issue that comes with an unlikable "romance character" is if said character has no clear reason as to why they developed feelings in the first place. This is especially a problem if the "romance character's" feelings for the MC is the only defining trait of that individual, because then it feels like the romance is just there for no reason whatsoever.

On that note, when romantic feelings are the only defining of an unlikable "romance character", that also doesn't sit well with me as well, More often than not, that just makes the character feel way too gimmicky and flanderized as a result.

4. Here are some "romance characters" I like:

Serena from Pokemon XY/XY&Z:

Commonly remembered for her crush on Ash, I like her a lot. We learn early on in the series that she and Ash first met at a summer camp when they were little kids. Serena was implied to have been sent there against her will, and we can tell she didn't enjoy it. That would change when she ran into Ash, who helped her stand following a leg injury. Since that time, she developed feelings for him, and awaited the day she would return his handkerchief. When she learned Ash was visiting the Kalos region, she made it her goal to meet him again and hand the item back.

She eventually becomes Ash's traveling partner for the time being. In the first 40 episodes, her only reason she is traveling with Ash is just to be by his side. She hasn't found a goal she wants to strive for her, but by traveling the region and interacting with different people, she can search her options. She eventually settles on becoming a Pokemon Performer, and from there, we find different aspects to Serena beyond her whole crush. We see her become more confident about herself over the course of the adventure, and even becoming a stronger woman during her moment when she cuts her hair following her first Pokemon Performance loss.

Serena's feelings for Ash are cute and not something to cringe over. She has bits of jealousy when others make a move on Ash, as best demonstrated with Miette's constant teasing over this fact. However, not once does she develop a strong hatred towards those that make moves on Ash. She also views Ash as a role model. The quote she lives by is one Ash told her in the past: "Never give up until the very end."

Probably one of the best moments that proves what a good "romance character" she is to me is the episode following Ash's loss to Wulfric. There, Ash runs into the forest nearby to sulk over his defeat from the final Kalos Gym Leader. Serena is the only person in Ash's group to chase after him. When she tries to console him, Ash angrily snaps at her. As a result, Serena to throw snowballs at him out of frustration while pointing out that the current Ash has become different from the one that is "kind, optimistic, and never gives up until the very end." This was an amazing scene in regards to Serena's character development. If this was Serena from the beginning of the series, she most likely would've cowered, felt bad, and apologized for snapping back at Ash. Here, she is willing to point out Ash's flaw that he has become to self-absorbed over defeat. It's through this moment that Ash snaps back into reality and realizes what he needs to do, meaning that Serena also developed Ash in a way.

So in the broad scheme of things, Serena is compelling "romance character" to me because there is a clear explanation as to where her feelings from Ash come from, there is more to her character than just loving Ash, her affection for him feels more like love and not an obsession, and her affection even allows Ash to develop as a character.

Rem from Re:Zero:​

I feel like many people will remember her mostly for her confession in the 18th episode of the anime, which showed how much she loves Subaru. While her feelings for the MC are one of her most notable characteristics, there's much more to her that meets the eye.

At the beginning of the series, Rem (as well as her sister Ram) didn't trust Subaru. She suspected he was affiliated with the Witch's Cult (who murdered her parents and everyone in her village), and even killed him in two loops because of it. However, when Subaru overworks himself to gain both her and her sister's trust during a successful loop, he ends up crying himself to sleep on Emilia's lap because of the stress. When Rem sees this and is informed by Emilia that he is a good person, Rem finally trusts him. The next day, she and Subaru go into the forest nearby to fight the shaman. She unlocks her demon powers and goes berserk, leading to a struggle to bring her out of it.

Around this point in the show, we also see a flashback that delves into her and her sister's past. There, it is revealed that Rem developed a severe inferiority complex growing up because of Ram was exceptionally talented at everything, to the point everyone treated Ram like a prodigy while not giving much thought to Rem. These insecurities were so severe that she experienced nightmares growing up, and when Ram's horn was cut off during the Witch Cultist attack, Rem smiled because it was at that moment she became superior to her sister for once in her life. However, Rem quickly experienced strong guilt for that smile, thinking to herself she was terrible for smiling like that. Following the massacre of the Oni clan, Ram and Rem became maids for Roswaal L. Matthews, the noble that saved them during the incident. From there, Rem viewed herself as a cheap substitute to Ram because she was more capable of doing household chores. She saw herself as someone who couldn't even compare to her older twin sister no matter how much she did. Ultimately, Rem had low self-esteem and saw herself as worthless.

Enter Subaru. Subaru was the person to break her out of her berserk state by throwing Ram toward her. When the two had to take shelter for the time being, Subaru tells her to rely on others and not just take on everything herself. Once the Mabeasts and the shaman are defeated, Rem stays with Subaru to tend his wounds. There, Rem feels guilty over not being able to do everything on her own. She also tears up thinking of how she is the only one that still has her horn, tying back to her own self-confidence issues. Subaru then tells her to think of what makes her unique, appreciate such qualities, and look to the future. Rem ultimately feels such deep happiness from this that she cries tears of joy and laughs, and from that moment, she falls in love with him (and I can't blame her; if someone told me how much I mean to them or the amount of worth I have, I'd gain a deep appreciation for the individual the same way Rem does to Subaru). Thus, through character development, Rem is a character with a distinct explanation as to why she has feelings for Subaru.

Many haters will argue that Rem is too "obsessed" with Subaru. I disagree. For one, she is so devoted to him that she will put her life on the line even if the situation is dire, as demonstrated in one loop where she fights the Witch Cultists in their hideout in an attempt to save Subaru despite her chances of beating Betelgeuse were very slim.

Another scene that she is not "obsessed" with Subaru happens around the beginning of episode 18. There, Subaru has become so distraught over his many deaths that he gives Rem an offer: escape to another country and live a new life together. A deal like that from the person you're in love with sounds like the perfect offer, right? We know that Rem would love to do it; she even admits it herself. However, she rejects Subaru's suggestion. Why? Because she is aware Subaru isn't being true to himself with this escape plan. Rem knows Subaru is abandoning everything that is dear to him and takes a coward's path by running away from what's most important to him.

Later into that episode, another bit that proves she is not "obsessed" with Subaru is the "I love Emilia" scene. When Subaru states what he thinks of Emilia following Rem's confession, does Rem become immensely jealous, freak out, and start planning bloody murder against her? Not at all. Instead, she completely understands where Subaru's heart lies and accepts it, because she wants Subaru to be happy.

Her whole confession to Subaru also proves her feelings for him are that of true love. For every part that Subaru curses about himself, Rem states the opposite and mentions how that is what she loves about him. She also tells him that even if no one will believe him, she will still be by his side. Her words ultimately bring back Subaru to his normal self. Thanks to Rem acting as an emotional crutch, Subaru develops as a character by gaining new confidence in himself and thus gaining new motivation for what he needs to do change fate. I also say Rem's confession is the culmination of her character development. Just like how Subaru convinced her how she is worth something when she thought otherwise, Rem does the same to him.

I also say that scene in episode 21 where she and Subaru agree to part ways for the time being was also character development for Rem, as that proves she doesn't need to be around Subaru all the time to be a compelling character.

I will admit there are some bits of her that could be fixed. For one, drop that line where she tells the White Whale, The only person that can sniff Subaru-kun is me." That is just creepy, and that same sentence also launched a whole lot of fanart of her sniffing Subaru's clothes as a result. There are other ways they could tone done that devotion part of her a tiny notch as well.

All in all, I consider Rem to be a compelling "romance character" in several ways: her feelings for Subaru are that of genuine love and not obsessive, there is clear explanation as to why she develops feelings for him, her affection allows Subaru to develop for the better, and there is much more to her character than meets the eye. The fact she has more traits gives her more reasons to be attached to her. I know it does for me, because I deeply relate to Rem when it comes to her insecurities, her tendency to compare herself with others, and how she wants to return favors to those that do good things for her.

5. Here are some "romance characters" that I do not like:

Faye from Fire Emblem Echoes:​

Ladies and gentleman, here is what I consider to be the epitome example of a badly written "romance character."
  • The only trait is her feelings for the main character? Check.
  • Said feelings for the main character for the main character reaches obsessive levels to the point it's creepy? Check.
  • No good character development? Check.
  • No clear explanation as to where her romantic feelings toward the MC come from? Check.
We can break this down one step at a time:

Point 1: In the span of all of Faye's supports, base conversations, and story dialogue, she talks only about Alm and that is it.

Point 2: It's clear from Faye's dialogue that her feelings for Alm are creepy. In her supports with Silque, she turns down all of Silque's attempts at befriending her. Then, at the beginning of her Act 3, she rejoices over Alm and Celica getting into that fight that caused them to split ways. Faye then becomes passive-aggressive toward him, taking advantage of the incident and tries to convince him that she is the one meant for him because she would never argue with him due to their long-lasting friendship. Not gonna lie, but this conversation creeped me out the first time I read it. If I was Alm in this scene, I would be slowly backing towards the door out of fear. She also mentions how her parents want her to write more about herself and less about Alm in her final base conversation, but she just shrugs it aside and says, "I can only talk about you, Alm." There's also her B-Support conversation with Alm where we learn she didn't sleep for a night because Alm accidentally touched her hand during dinner.

Point 3: Yes, there is Faye's A-Support with Silque where she finally strikes a friendship with her, but in her ending, we learn she kept disappearing despite marrying someone else after the war. That implies she never got over her feelings for Alm.

Point 4: Faye's first base conversation implies she really fell for Alm when he saved her from Slayde's forces when they were children, but prior to that, we see her still looking for Alm like an affectionate girl. The Japanese version makes the reasons for her feelings for Alm even more vague, as she ends her conversation by saying, "Even before back then (the time when Alm saved Faye from Slayde's forces), you were always my prince."

Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan:

Before I begin, I will admit I do not dislike Mikasa. Rather, she is a character I do not care for all that much. There are moments where I root her on, and there are moments where I feel she is lacking as a character. At the current point the AoT series is at (manga that is), I do not consider her to be a well-written "romance character." Much of her most common criticisms are those that I understand where they come from.

What issues do I have with her as a "romance character"? Namely two things: the fact her feelings for Eren are her only real-defining character trait aside from being a badass fighter in the battlefield, and that she hasn't experienced any real character development, especially when compared to Armin and Eren (in the later arcs that is). Even though much of what she does is to protect Eren, there are times her feelings for Eren feel too obsessive. This comes from the fact most of her dialogue in the series focuses on him. The simple solution to fix that problem is to give her more dialogue that doesn't revolve around the MC and focus on different matters at hand.

This then ties into the issue where she doesn't have any major character development. She remains a person who is too attached to Eren, and while she is capable of fighting on her own even if he isn't around, she hasn't developed other aspects that really make her standout. There aren't any traits she has that I can relate to you either. It's just... she's a badass who loves Eren and will do all she can to protect him. Yeah, I can't fully bring myself to be attached to her compared to other characters in the series.

Mikasa does have a few good things I give her credit for as a better "romance character" compared to someone like Faye. One, the series gives a clear explanation as to how she develops feelings for Eren, and it's revealed early on for that matter (the flashback where we learn that Eren saved her from sex traffickers when he visited her one day, and then him and his dad let her join the family). Two, her affection helps develop the MC. How so? Well, this kicks in during the AoT Season 2 finale.

After the Smiling Titan devours Hannes, a father-figure to the EMA trio, in front of Eren and Mikasa, Eren has an emotional breakdown where he curses himself, saying that he is still "useless." Mikasa is saddened hearing Eren say those words, and she tells him what he is saying is not true. When it seems all hope is lost and they will be eaten soon, she then confesses to Eren:

She tells Eren everything she is grateful for about him and then tries to kiss him. Eren stands up to reject the kiss, and he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many as times as she wants. It may not look like it, but Eren develops as a character during that scene. That kiss Mikasa was about to give to him was a sign that she has completely surrendered her life and accepted an inevitable death, and Eren knew that if he kissed her, it would mean he too would surrender his life. Thus, he decides to not kiss her. However, he is completely aware of what Mikasa thinks of him, so he tells her that he will wrap the scarf around her as many times as she wants. It is character development for Eren because it is from this moment forward that he is no longer rude to Mikasa and becomes aware of what he means to her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Doesn't seem as bad as some of the other Fate stuff.

Remember when Fate wasn't known for its oversexualization despite being an Eroge VN? I blame Extra.
Like, the "worst" F/SN had was Rider and even then it was just her big boobs.

Still, didn't know she had a different design in GO but in Extella...
What you call ridiculous is ridiculous. You should look at the others fate characters
Nah, Altera is definitely the worst offender in this situation

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i mean charizards dont naturally learn sunny day either soooo
That's a good point. That Charizard is basically tailored made as well

There is also Charizard Y though, but Mega Charizards are kinda broken compared to what Mega Blastoise got.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
1) Do you tend to like "romance characters" in fiction? Why or why not?
2) When do you consider a "romance character" to be likable? Or in other words, what makes you like a "romance character"?
3) When do you consider a "romance character" to be unlikable? Or in other words, what makes you dislike a "romance character"?
4) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you like.*
5) Name one or more examples of "romance characters" you dislike.*
  1. When they arent Tsunderes, yes because they arent insufferable
  2. When they are Tsunderes
  3. See 2
  4. Morgiana from Magi
  5. All the Tsun ones
Nah, Altera is definitely the worst offender in this situation
There is this demon girl that has the body of a little girl wearing nothing at all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom